The Commander, previously known as Red, is The Commander of The Chain of Acheron. Little is known of his life before joining The Chain, except that he used to live in Rask. He rose to be The Chain's commanding officer when the previous Commander fell in battle and he picked up his sword. Red sadly fell in battle against Relg, a demon summoned by Ajax the Invincible.
- Take Up My Sword: Quite literally picked up the sword of the previous Commander, Teft,and was recognized as The Chain's new Commander.
- Came Back Wrong: Nails used his powers to bring him back, unfortunately Red's soul belongs to Relg. Meaning that he came back as some sort of demonic corpse.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies partway through the first episode, and only makes a brief appearance as a possessed lich a few episodes later. Most of what we know about him is from the Chronicle.
Sweet was born in the city of Blackbottom and eventually joined The Chain of Acheron. He was recruited by Judge. At some point during his membership Sweet was promoted to Lieutenant, second in command to The Commander at the time. When Red fell to Relg in Blackbottom, Sweet became The Chain's new Commander.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon of choice aside from his Good Old Fisticuffs
- Doomed Hometown: Sweet is from Blackbottom, which was bombed by Ajax's Hawklords and was swarming with demons when they left it after their failed assassionation attempt on Mortum
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Sweet's favourite way to take care of his foes. He is a Pugilist, after all.
- You Are in Command Now: Became the new Commander after Red fell in Blackbottom. This is also Deconstructed, as Sweet, while a capable lieutenant, is not well-suited to the position of Commander
- Deader Than Dead: Sweet gets vaporized as he kills Nails with one of the Bloodmetal arrows. Only his hat remains, which Copper takes.
Nails is The Chain of Acheron's Staff Sorcerer, he seems to have an innate talent for casting spells but each time he casts one there is a chance of it going wild. He seems to have gained his nickname from the cigarettes he smokes.
- A God Am I: Was in the process of turning into one due to Orion's power. It was stopped by Sweet when he called his true name and stabbed by one of the Bloodmetal Arrows.
- Decoy Protagonist: Töm's actual character is Boots.
- Deader Than Dead: Was vaporized along with Sweet when he killed him with one of the Bloodmetal Arrows.
- Demonic Possession: After passing through the Maelstrom, Nails' eyes turned silver and once he entered the Ilithid Ship, Somnium Tenebris, he showed powers he hadn't before. Since Nails was present when Ajax the Invincible broke Orion, The Master Sword, it is possible he somehow absorbed Orion's power and passing through the Maelstorm somehow awakend it within him.
- Drunk with Power: When Nails eyes are silver, he is far more brash and arrogant, wiping out even The Chain's junior officers if they annoy him. It is possible that this is influenced by Orion, but it is implied that at least part of it is just Nails.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When entering the Astral Sea, Nails' eyes turn silver. It is later revealed that Nails doesn't remember anything after tying himself to the mast of the Rosso Cielo. When Sweet calls him by name, Durand Erenheart his eyes return to normal.
Judge is a Paladin of Asmodeus and the Weapon Master of The Chain of Acheron. He is also one of the Chain's more knowledgeable members when it comes to devils and the Hells.
- Cool Sword: Wields a Flamberge, a giant two-handed sword with a flame-like wave to the blade.
- Deadpan Snarker: Out of the Senior Officers of The Chain, Judge is very likely the quickest to snark.
- Healing Hands: Given that Illriggers are dark mirrors to the stereotypically Good Paladin, Judge has a version of their classic Lay on Hands ability called Infernal Conduit. His is a bit different, however, as healing takes away some of his own health. On the plus side, it doubles as a Vampiric Draining Touch of Death.
- Horned Humanoid: A given, as a Tiefling.
- Odd Friendship: Despite being an Evil humanoid in active service to Asmodeus the Archfiend, he and Good-aligned Paladin Two Shoes work well together, largely because they both are very Lawful.
- Terror Hero: "Hero" is used rather loosely here, but Judge specializes in Intimidation. Not only does much of his appearance contribute to this effect (demonic looking person carrying a giant, wicked looking blade), but the Illrigger feature Forked Tongue gives him expertise in Intimidation, making Judge terrifying when he wants to be.
Copper has a tamed Displacer Beast by the name of Big Cat and is The Chain of Acheron's Standard Bearer.
- Archer Archetype: Given his maximized Dexterity score, he's a crack shot, both in more close range settings with his companion Big Cat, and as a sniper.
- Cold Sniper: Shares some similarities to this type of character, as Copper, when not being more openly boastful, is seemingly reserved and professional.
- The Ace: Lampshaded. He was asked how he managed to tame a Displacer Beast, and gave this response:Copper: I'm just the best ranger there is.
- The Beastmaster: A given, as that's the name of his Ranger Archetype. However, he differs from the standard Ranger in that while most have access to mundane creatures such as hawks, wolves, and bears, Copper trained a deadly and monstrous Displacer Beast instead.
Little is known from King, other than that he was raised as a noble in Higara. His entry into The Chain was sponsored by Red and over time the two became close, eventually leading to his promotion to Chronicler. After Red fell in Blackbottom and Sweet became the new Commander, King was promoted to The Chain's Lieutenant by Sweet. Then, when Sweet himself died, the Lieutenant became the Commander.
- Badass Bookworm: A noble who spends time writing in The Chain's Chronicle. And certainly skilled in combat.
- Blue Blood: Not much is known about King before joining The Chain Of Acheron, though he was raised as a noble back in Higara.
- Field Promotion: After Lieutenant Sweet was promoted to Commander, he elected King as his Lieutenant. Happens again after Commander Sweet, sacrifices himself to take out Omega Nails.
- Narrator: The Chronicle chapters you can read on MCDM's website are written from his point of view.
- Rousing Speech: After the flight from Blackbottom, the attack from the Somnium Tenebris, the rise and fall of Omega Nails, the murders of several of their own by a member of Ajax's Faceless Guard, and the deaths of two Commanders within a week, The Chain was worn down. So, before they got to Capital, the newly appointed Commander gave an inspiring speech, telling the weary soldiers that they would come back from their losses and win against Ajax.
- Shock and Awe: A staple of the Tempest Domain.
A native Riojan, Boots served in The Chain of Acheron as one of Nails' junior officers. After Nails was killed, Boots stepped up to replace him.
- A Day in the Limelight: Töm briefly plays as Boots in the first episode. Later, it is revealed that this was Töm's original character idea, and Nails was created as part of a plot unabashedly borrowed from Star Trek.
- Naked People Are Funny: After the Underdark Job quest, Boots was staying in the Footstool Tavern with the rank and file Chain members when the inn was attacked in the middle of the night by malevolent undead Shadows. Matt asked what Boots would wear to sleep, and since he responded that he would sleep in the nude, Boots proceeded to finish the fight against the undead incursion of the inn naked.
- Retcon: Originally played as a homebrewed mashup of Rogue and Fighter abilities to try and fit the image of Boots Töm had in his head. After the community pointed out that his build was reminiscent of the College of Swords Bard, he changed classes, and has officially *always* been that class.
- Swashbuckler: Functions as this, despite the Rogue subclass no longer being part of his kit.
A former prisoner aboard the Somnium Tenebris. He was recruited by The Chain of Acheron, and established a telepathic link with the ship, becoming the Pilot.
- Cyborg Helmsman: His link is telepathic in nature, and he deals with the Somnium Tenebris, but as the Pilot, he fills this role.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: His very status as a member of The Chain, much less a Player Character.
- Fish out of Water: To him, Orden is a strange and unfamiliar land. Civilians are constantly amazed by the psychic alien warrior walking the streets.
- Trading Bars for Stripes: Slim was found as a prisoner onboard the Somnium Tenebris. When The Chain captured the vessel, he quickly passed from being their prisoner to joining their crew.
A Junior Officer of The Chain, tasked with keeping the [[Living Ship: Somnium Tenebris]], along with her crew, alive and well. He was brought along with the party for their trip to the Underdark, given his Drow ancestry.
- Combat Medic: As both a surgeon and Celestial Warlock, he's capable of healing on and off the field. He's no less deadly for it.
- Familiar: Has an imp familiar named Odie, and has powers relating to their bond as a Pact of the [[Pun Chain]] Warlock. Unfortunately, their bond isn't an amicable one, as Leech was cursed with an obnoxious imp as a familiar due to being a traditionally Evil ancestry serving traditionally Good beings.
- Guest-Star Party Member: A junior officer pulled along by senior command to act as their guide in the Underdark. However, Matt has voiced interest in keeping both Leech and OD around as regular members, so time will tell.
- Insistent Terminology: Insists that The Chain's whale-like extradimensional organic ship is his "patient."
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: Played with, as he is frequently depicted as wearing a leather smock or apron, much like a butcher would wear, which is often covered in blood after working on the Somnium Tenebris.
- Mad Doctor: A member of a traditionally Evil race, frequently covered in blood, followed around by a minor devil, and displaying some odd and occasionally off-putting mannerisms. He means well, but Leech can be a bit creepy.
- Artifact Collection Agency: Lady Sariel and her minions have been hard at work collecting the Teeth of the Dragon. The Teeth she had succeed in collecting where "Arcturus The Sword of Stars", "Orion - The Master Sword" and "Scorpius The Sword of Lies".
- Legendary Weapon: The Teeth of the Dragon, magical Elven blades made of Liannar (also known as Sunmetal or Bloodmetal). And she possesses three of them. Or, at least, possessed. It is unknown where Arcturus is as she didn't have it with her in Blackbottom. Orion was destroyed by Ajax, though its power seemed to be possessing Nails somehow. And Scorpius was likely taken by Ajax after her defeat in Blackbottom.
- Affectionate Parody: Somewhere between this and a shout out to Critical Role's Pumat Sol. They even have an echo of the Firebolg's accent.
- Hive Mind: Share a name and a mind, to the point where they sometimes speak in unison, or one body will start a sentence and another will finish it. Played for Laughs when one insists that they don't like toads, but another does, and as they're basically the same person, that can't be right.
- Motor Mouth: It helps having three mouths, but they sure can talk a lot.
- Technobabble: Consider themselves as different "vectors" of the same "manifold", and refer to the different planes as "manifolds" of the Timescape. Additionally, at one point they casually explained that their location is a "non-normalized sub-additive matrix".