open/close all folders
JoryThe newest member of the Backstagers. New to St. Genesius, he didnt think hed fit until he found the rest of the crew kids Jory is eager to learn about the magical world of theatre. And the magical world UNDER the theatre.
- Naïve Newcomer: Jory is new to the Backstagers, and serves as the Audience Surrogate into the magical world behind the curtains.
HunterThe main carpenter of the St. Genesius workshop, and he's really passionate about building things! He can make just about ANYTHING with his trusty pink rotary hammer, and he can even make most of it "actor-proof."
- Berserk Button: He has two.
- First is school drama critic Quentin Quackenbush, because he never acknowledges the sets Hunter builds for the plays. He once used his drill to seal Quentin's locker and got a month of Saturday detentions for it. In Hunter's opinion, it was worth it.
- In the character designs, he seems to loathe Stephen Sondheim and refuses to allow anything the man's created onto his stage.
- Big Beautiful Man: Hunter is explicitly designed to be a bit overweight, with a visibly big belly, and is also genuinely handsome and attractive as well as charismatic, confident, and an unapologetic gay flirt.
- The Casanova: His very first interaction with Jory is to dramatically flirt with him.
- Official Couple: With Jory at the midway point of the series.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Is openly gay and wields a sparkly pink drill, but is also a master craftsman who can build, construct, sew, and cook.
AzizAziz is Sasha's best friend, and the straight man of the group. More serious, mature, and level-headed one there, whether they're trekking through the prop storage shed or magical wonderlands.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Is this to Sasha, having promised Sasha's parents he'd keep him safe.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a very dry and sardonic wit.
- Straight Man: As mentioned, he serves this role. He also happens to be the only member of the Backstagers who is a cis straight guy.
BeckettThe mad lighting genius of St. Genesius. He can be a bit... sensitive about letting anyone else touch the lightboards, but that's just because he knows they super expensive, and while a totally dark house might be a cool artistic choice one time, it'd be pretty dangerous for every show.
- Gadgeteer Genius / Mad Scientist: Straddling the line between them when up in his booth, Beckett is good enough with his lights that he is able to run a show from a single handheld control pad, as well as set an entire show's light cues to run on autopilot while Beckett runs into the Backstage. Before his transfer, he helped one of the Angels with a "Stitch-o-matic".
- The Grinch: for most of the Valentines issue, Beckett is this for Valentines Day in place of Christmas. He gets over it.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Seems to be rather fond of Twizzlers and Diet Coke.
- Transgender Beckett is female-to-male. He was a former student of Penitent Angels during his freshman year, before transferring to St. Genesius as a guy.
SashaA human embodiment of light and energy, Sasha loves everyone and everything. He has a tendency to get into dangerous situations, but his positivity usually sees him through! Sasha is the worst at being quiet backstage.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- The Cutie: Sasha is absolutely precious... and he KNOWS IT, using his impossible cuteness in the Valentines Day issue to acquire mass amounts of Valentines candy.
- Friend to All Living Things: A bit of ditz, Sasha is more than happy to make friends with tool rats given the first opportunity.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
Tim and Jaime
The Mc QueensKevin and Blake McQueen are the lead actors, often the first to treat the Backstagers as less than dirt, and lording over the other actors with iron fists.
- Creepy Twins: They are... very close to one another.
- Hypocrite: They mock the Backstagers the same way jocks would mock them, but the irony is completely lost on them. Until one of them goes missing and they acknowledge how awful they treat others.
- Jerk Jock: Or at least, the stage equivalent. They are to the Backstagers what actual jocks would be to THEM.
- Large Ham: The two are individual halves of a giant ham. They make a production of everything.
- The Prima Donna: They both make rather unreasonable demands of the Backstagers, and even when they give the twins what they want they'll still complain.
Elliot RampleFaculty Advisor of the St. Genesius theater, he was a member of the old Backstagers crew of 1987, as Monkey.
- My Greatest Failure: He managed to get the 1987 crew out of the tunnels one by one... except for Polaroid, who was too far back, and by the time Rample found him, Polaroid was long dead. The Valentines Day issue reveals that Rample keeps a photo of himself and Polaroid with him, and every Valentines Day he retreats backstage to the lights room to remember Polaroid.
- The Mentor: Is this to the Backstagers, through his prior experience with the Backstage.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
PolaroidThe primary antagonist of the initial run. A ghostly figure haunting the backstage area. His real name is Tommy.
- Came Back Wrong: Mr Rample drew him in the sketchbook and threw it off the Patchwork Catwalk. Since anything drawn into the sketchbook affects the backstage tunnels, he came back, although this Polaroid is a dangerous and malicious entity.
- Dead All Along: He claims that he and the Backstage crew of 1987 all died in the backstage. In reality, he's the only who never made it out alive.
- Nightmare Face: Most appearances of Polaroid show his face as a combination of Glowing Eyelights of Undeath mixed with Hidden Eyes topped off with a jagged Slasher Smile.
- Dying as Yourself: As Mr. Rample erases Polaroid from the sketchbook, Polaroid's ghost's face changes into the normal human face he had prior to his initial death.
- The Nicknamer: He's the one who gave Elliot Rample his nickname of "Monkey", from his high-pitched, monkey-like laugh.