The central protagonist of the film, Howard Hughes is an aviation pioneer who suffers from OCD.
- Byronic Hero: A charismatic male. He charms many women. He is intelligent, sophisticated, and self-centered. He is sensitive and his past (the epidemy in Houston) haunts him. He does not respect the social norms (he spies on his lovers, he bribes the military officers...).
- Troubled, but Cute: Has severe OCD, a very poor sense of financial responsibility, is an utter control freak, Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking and looks like Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Worthy Opponent: Juan certainly thinks this of Howard, for all his eccentricities and their history as rivals. After his final talk with Howard, he tells Dietrich:
Hugh's chief executive.
An actress and one of Hugh's love interests.
- Smug Snake: By the time he's deliberately arranging a hotel room to set off Hughes' OCD, you'll hate him just as much as Hughes.
- Affably Evil: In spades.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive:
- Friendly Enemy: Subverted. Hughes and Juan Trippe are certainly civil to each other, but you can sense Trippe's superior attitude when it comes to Hughes... who, in turn, barely manages to mask his own contempt for Trippe.
- Smug Snake: So very much.