The 5th installment of The Amazing Race Canada. To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, each leg of the season was proposed to feature a task specially-themed task that is identified as such. Additional features included several real-time interactive features during the airing of the season (including trivia, national leaderboard, and polls) and the ability to explore locations seen throughout the season online through virtual 350-degree views.
The problems that plagued the 4th season would continue to plague the 5th, with less sponsorship meaning that the number of legs and teams would remain the same. But whereas the 4th season had more of a diverse cast of characters that appealed to audiences, this season had the casting problems that plagued the 1st and 3rd seasons, in which there wasn't a team that stood out as a fan favourite, nor was there a team that stood out as a villain either. Also, like the 3rd season, the course bounced around provinces and also visited the same province in the same leg, leading once again to the overuse of the Rubber-Band A.I. on the course. While the idea of a Canada 150 themed task was appealing, this apparently did not apply to all legs as many legs did not have such a themed task. Overall, the race was a step back from both the 2nd and the 4th seasons with the lowest viewership since the premiere. Still, this did not stop CTV from ordering a 6th edition of the race.
Sam Lambert & Paul MitskopoulosDating couple.
- The Ace: They've won a total of six legs so far showing they were probably the biggest consistent threat remaining, so when Kenneth and Ryan went to the U-Turn board first, they didn't hesitate to put up this team. Ultimately shown when they managed to win the final leg despite Kenneth and Ryan's head start at finishing the puzzle.
- Badass Gay: Has shown signs of it lately, and they won 1st place the 4th leg. They also won the 9th leg thanks to Sam's memory. Then they proceeded to win another two legs shortly after in the 10th and 11th legs. Then they won the next two legs including the finale giving them six leg wins.
- Chekhov's Skill: Sam is a medical student, meaning he likely has good memory. This led to their victory in the 9th leg due to Sam easily remembering the needed jokes for Drop Da Bomb.
- Failed a Spot Check: During the firefighting roadblock, they forgot to untangle their hose before starting the pump.
- Spear Counterpart: They're essentially the male versions of Steph & Kristen who are both young LGBT couples who dominated and won the race with an average of 2.0. The only difference is that Sam & Paul won one leg more than Steph & Kristen.
- Straight Gay: They don't seem to have many stereo-typically campy or gay traits, aside from occasionally kissing each other and crying.
Kenneth McAlpine & Ryan Lachapelle ("Team Give'er")Best friends.
- Always Second Best: To Sam and Paul, which irritates them, but it's more or less a friendly rivalry. They came close to subverting this in the finale but their cab took them to the wrong place and because Ryan didn't see the correct flag, he had to go back.
- "Awesome McCool" Name: Kenneth "McAlpine".
- Born Lucky: In leg 2 - Kenneth managed to find all three Express Passes during the Roadblock.
- Dumb Jock: While it's understandable that they couldn't complete the Math roadblock due to not having done Math since High school, they almost were eliminated by not using their express pass, as they chose to do the much more difficult welding side of the detour rather than the hard to master, easy to perform Clay Sculpting task.
- Failed a Spot Check: A fairly severe one during the final leg - Kenneth climbs to the top of a building tower and thinks he's spotted the flag marking the next location only for the team to arrive at the wrong location. Give'er had to return to the location and Kenneth had to reclimb the building to find the correct location.
- Hope Spot: Seeing that Andrea and Ebonie and Courtney and Megan were still at the Throw It detour meant they still had a chance.
- Graceful Loser: They're not too upset they lost to their rivals.
- Keet: Both of them. This isn't a surprise as they are high energy snowboarding jocks.
- Momma's Boy: They proudly proclaim this on the 9th leg after receiving a video from their mothers.
- Plucky Comic Relief: They seem to be the Lethal Joke team of the season often barely escaping elimination but also being extremely cheery and funny.
- Unskilled, but Strong: While this team was originally one of the stronger teams, as of late they have become this. With their difficulty in Math related tasks but great strength in some memorization and physical tasks, they seem to be the dark horse team of this season in terms of racing going from the front of the pack to the back within a single leg.
Korey Sam & Ivana KrunićBest friends.
- The Determinator: Ivana hurt her back during the In Sync diving detour, and she forced herself through the In Line dancing detour after they gave up on diving.
- Hidden Depths: Korey and Ivana are physical trainers, but turn out to be very good at the pottery based Throw It detour. Ivana is also a school teacher.
- Last of Their Kind: Ivana is the only woman left in the race by the finale.
- No Sense of Direction: In leg 2 and 3.
- Potty Emergency: Korey took a leak during the Find your Dory detour. In plain sight.
- Read The Freaking Clue: In the final leg, Ivana initially searched all over the building roof for a clue to the next location, even though the clue stated that she look at the rooftops of other buildings that she could see from the building she was standing atop of.
Karen Richards & Bert RichardsMarried couple.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Karen, shown during the horse stall cleaning speed bump in the ninth leg.
- Chekhov's Skill: Karen's skill with math and studying not only helped them finish the Phoenix Heli-Flight Roadblock, but got them one of Kenneth and Ryan's Express Passes when Team Give'er offered it as a bribe to get the answer after struggling with the math. Karen's studying skills also paid off during the Canadian Citizenship test during the 6th leg.
- Fatal Family Photo: Averted - during the eighth leg, which also took place on Mother's Day, Karen and Bert showed the others a family picture. They came in last, but survived because it was a non-elimination leg.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In the second leg, during the firefighting roadblock, when Bert continued to pull the pump back to the river and pulled the fire hose away from the fire they had to put out.Karen: I'm the one with the bigger hose right now!
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Bert, in leg three at the Strike It blacksmithing detour.Bert: I do music, but not heavy metal.
- Loophole Abuse:
- During the tightrope Roadblock at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Bert hung upside from the tightrope and pulled himself across, utilizing his upper arm strength, instead of walking across.
- During the fourth leg, they recognized the steps for the In Line resembled a famous dance routine, which made it easier to memorize and execute the steps.
- Read The Freaking Clue: Karen herself says it when she and Bert realize they've gone to the wrong Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver. Occurs again in the eighth leg, when Karen is struggling to find a woman wearing the kuna pattern she has chosen, only to realize that the clues states she needs to search the streets and the market, all the while Karen had only been searching one area.
- Weak, but Skilled: Not physically one of the strongest teams, but Karen especially excelled at mental challenges.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Heights and water for Bert in the bridge roadblock in leg 3. Also cockroaches and bugs in general come the penultimate leg.
Adam Cavaleri & Andrea CavaleriSiblings. Like Zed and Shabbir they started as one of the better teams, especially later on finishing a consistent 1st-3rd place near the front of the pack on several later legs. However, they were U-Turned at the Double U-Turn on Leg 11 by Korey and Ivana and while it seemed like they could catch up when Korey knocked over their cans at the stacking roadblock, Ivana found the queen bee at the beekeeper roadblock first and put an end to one of the strongest remaining physical and mental teams.
- The Ace: Tied with Sam and Paul as the strongest remaining team.
- Book Dumb: Adam, during the Canadian Citizenship test in the sixth leg.
- Cassandra Truth: Andrea & Ebonie didn't believe them when they tried to explain they didn't U-Turn Korey & Ivana because they were under the impression Andrea & Ebonie had passed the U-Turn and just didn't use it. Which was a very reasonable assumption as Andrea & Ebonie had left the Detour long before them and had gotten lost.
- Chekhov's Hobby: Andrea's experience making pottery helps them finish the detour in leg 3 and finish third, not to mention having one of the most beautiful ceramic cups made during the challenge.
- Happens again in Leg 5 with their experience playing soccer as kids ended up winning them, the fast forward and earned them a first place victory in Bangkok.
- Graceful Loser: Accepts their defeat with a surprising amount of class, despite freaking out about getting U-Turned, knowing they have shown themselves to be one of the strongest sibling teams on the Canadian Race. They end up accepting their defeat with a smile, looking pretty content with how they did.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Adam, in leg 3, while Andrea is completing the Throw It detour (making clay cups on a potter's wheel).Adam: She's in her wheel house.
- Loophole Abuse: Adam lost his balance during the tightrope roadblock during the first leg, but landed on the wire and did not fall off completely. To complete the roadblock, he slid on his bum the rest of the way across.
- No Sense of Direction: In leg 2 and leg 3.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with Andrea Croxen.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Andrea is terrified of heights, hence the duo avoiding the In Sync detour in Beijing.
Andrea Croxen & Ebonie Finley-RobergeBusiness partners.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Andrea, shown during the RCMP horse grooming challenge.
- Born Lucky: Saved by two non-elimination legs and quickly completed their speed bump. However, they failed to beat the other five teams at the Face Off, and couldn't recover.
- Chekhov's Skill: Ebonie's experience with memorizing scripts for television worked helped them finish the Great Wall roadblock. Ebonie tried using this skill again, but couldn't compete with Ivana having gotten there first, and they were unable to catch up.
- Hope Spot: Seeing Megan and Courtney switch to the Throw It option of the detour meant they still had a chance.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with Andrea Cavaleri.
- Rubberband AI: See Strategy Versus Tactics. They took a penalty on the first task of the season hoping to get ahead of the pack. Completing the task first stipulated that the first five teams to solve it and arrive at the airport in time would be on the same flight to Vancouver. They managed to keep enough of a lead to get to the Pitstop second and wait out their penalty to place 7th.
- Strategy Versus Tactics: In the first Roadblock of the season - a Morse code transcription challenge, they hedged that nobody would be able to figure it out for hours and decided to take a penalty to get a head start. It didn't pay off, since a number of other teams did manage to figure it out not long after they left.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: They finished in last in three legs and were told that all but their final leg, were non-elimination legs.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Heights for Ebonie during the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver roadblock.
Shabbir Dhalla & Zed DhallaFather and son. Shabbir is a stage-3 colon cancer survivor. They started off as one of the stronger teams, finishing pretty high in almost every leg until Bangkok where their failure to read the whole clue during the puppet roadblock ended with them too far behind to catch up. Things looked hopeful when they took the surfing detour and Zed was doing well, but Shabbir didn't and ended up forcing them to switch detours. At this point, they were too far behind to catch up eliminating them in 7th.
- The Determinator: Despite struggling, Shabbir wouldn't give up on trying to complete the surfing detour in hopes they wouldn't have to switch.
- Hidden Depths: Zed turns out to be rather good at making pottery in the Throw It detour in leg 3. Shabbir, not so much.
- Hope Spot: When Karen and Bert ended up lost looking for the flag for their Tuk Tuk and Failed a Spot Check in doing so, there seemed to be hope that Zed and Shabbir could catch up. However, they had to switch detours because Shabbir couldn't do the surfing detour and couldn't catch up as a result.
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Shabbir is stage-3 colon cancer survivor.
- Read The Freaking Clue: In Bangkok, they failed to read their clue about keeping their mouths shut through the entire puppet monkey task. This was one of the factors that contributed in their elimination
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Heights for Shabbir, during the In Sync detour.
Megan Burden & Courtney RobertsCousins.
- Achilles' Heel: Running. Within minutes of starting the first roadblock in Nelson, they were panting. This also led to their elimination.
- Chekhov's Skill: Megan is a biomedical engineering technologist, so math is her forte - which allowed her and Courtney to complete the Phoenix Heli-Flight roadblock to win the second leg of the race.
- Honor Before Reason: For getting the Express Pass, they give Kenneth and Ryan the answers for the tent roadblock.
- Failed a Spot Check: Of the three final teams at the detours, they were the first to complete theirs, but were delayed when one of them realizes that they're missing a fanny pack, forcing them to run around the detour location to look for it before leaving.
- What an Idiot!: The two said this In-universe word for word when Kenneth and Ryan gave their express pass to (who they thought) was the strongest mental team. Then again, given Megan's background in biomedical engineering technology, maybe they weren't that far off. And then they chose not to use their express pass after realizing they were one of the last two teams at the detour getting them eliminated in 8th when they couldn't beat Andrea and Ebonie in a foot race to the mat.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Heights for Megan during the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver roadblock. Happens again when Megan does the Big Orange Bridge roadblock.
Daniel "Dan" Kipnis & Riya MalikYouTube content creators.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: Dan mentioned that their strategy would have been to cheat if they managed to stay in the race longer.
- Hope Spot: During the second leg, Riya noted that they were finishing challenges by "slivers of seconds" behind Ivana and Korey, the other team they were fighting for last place.
- Loophole Abuse: They ended up finishing the Phoenix Heli-Flight roadblock by overhearing Korey and Ivana's answer.
- No Sense of Direction: Contributed to their elimination in leg 2.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Heights for Dan during the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver roadblock.