A team of Fire-Forged Friends who happen to share the same hall with Team AZ. Over time, the team suspects of a threat greater than the White Fang in Drake's personal investigation and start to become involved... against Drake's specific instructions.
Yang Xiao Long
An energetic, blonde-haired young woman with a violent streak. Shes a student at Beacon Academy to become a huntress and is part of Team RWBY, alongside her sister, Ruby and her friends Weiss and Blake. She becomes Drake's Love Interest.
- Achilles' Heel: Yang often has trouble fighting opponents who utilize kick-based attacks and her short temper makes her easy to frustrate.
- Action Girl: Absolutely.
- Amazonian Beauty: Yang is the tallest member of her team as well as the most physically powerful (even though it doesn't show) and is also quite the looker.
- Ascended Extra: While Yang IS a main character in RWBY, she plays a bigger role in the story than most of her teammates, seeing how she's the Love Interest and shares a lot of screen time with Drake.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfits tend to display her navel.
- Beneath the Mask: Yang is a cheerful, compassionate and nurturing thrill-seeker. However, she's haunted by the knowledge that Summer, the woman who raised her, was not her biological mother. That woman, Raven, abandoned her at birth. Yang only learned the truth after Summer's death, becoming so obsessed, she left home with Ruby through Grimm-filled forests to track Raven down. The two girls would have been killed had it not been for Qrow. Although her search continues, she refuses to let her obsession control her.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Drake. The two tease and annoy each other, but there are signs of them liking one aother more than either of them care to admit.
- The Big Gal: Yang is the main muscle of Team RWBY. On top of that, she gets stronger the more she gets hurt.
- Big Sister Instinct: Not only will she do everything to defend Ruby and do whatever she can to help her, but this kind of instinct is also shown around Drake. She understands the kind of bond he shared with his older brother, which lets her see Drake in a perspective different from her friends and teammates.
- Biker Babe: Her very first interaction with Drake shows her meeting him in the woods while riding on her motorcycle. She even gives him a lift back to Beacon.
- Birds of a Feather / Opposites Attract: Both tropes are Played With. Yang is outgoing, cheerful and sun-themed. Drake is reserved, aloof and darkness-themed. At first glance, the two couldn't seem any more different. At the same time, however, both of them have similar troubled backgrounds, come from dysfunctional families, and lost family members who were very important in their lives: Yang with her stepmother, Summer; Drake with his adoptive brother, Lloyd. It safe to say they make an Odd Couple.
- Blood Knight: The biggest example of her group. Yang loves fighting and ganking creatures of Grimm. She takes pride in her skills and always tries to enjoy herself. She's a natural born thrill-seeker.
- Boisterous Bruiser: She is lively, can be very boastful at times, and get agitated easily during a fight.
- Boobs of Steel: She's the strongest member of her team and the most well-endowed. Something Zelos certainly notices.Yang: "My eyes are up here, sweetheart."Zelos: "Yeah, I know."
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The Gentle Girl to Drake's Brooding Boy. While Yang is definitely the more hotheaded of the two, Yang is surprisingly tolerant with Drake and knows more about his personal pain than most of the students. Yang even gets Drake to smile, even laugh, on occasion.
- The Confidant: She's the only person at Beacon Drake willingly shares his issues, traumas and emotional baggage with.
- Cute Bruiser: Don't let her age and pretty face fool you. Her semblance, weapons and training make her the heaviest hitter on Team RWBY.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She and Ruby experienced the loss of their mother at a young age and basically lost their father when he spiraled into depression. In fact, it was at this time that Yang learned Summer was her stepmother and that her real mother had disappeared after she was born, leading Yang to drag little Ruby along as she hunted down answers to her mother's whereabouts. During their journey, they were cornered by a pack of Beowolves and wouldve died had it not been for Qrow.
- Determinator: As a child, she was determined to find her birth mother, and with Ruby in tow, endured multiple injuries while walking through the forest, and exhaustion to the point of collapsing. Since then, she is still resolved to find her mother, but won't let her desires control her life.
- Deadpan Snarker: Yang has a thing for puns, even when they aren't that good, and has a very defined humorous side.
- Dude Magnet: Subverted. While Yang is considered by many fans to be the Ms. Fanservice of the team and is very confident in her looks, no boys at Beacon seem to gawk or throw themselves at her.
- Dumb Blonde: Subverted. Yang acts like she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but Drake realizes that Yang is more intelligent than she leads on to be.Drake: "OK, what the hell happened to you?"Yang: "I'm not your usual blonde bimbo."Drake: "No. You're worse."
- Foil: Yang realizes this when Drake explains how he never knew his biological parents. There's also the fact that Drake's relationship with his brother, Lloyd, was very similar to her relationship with Ruby, making her wonder if Drake is what she would've become if she ever lost Ruby.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric.
- Groin Attack: When Drake manages to beat her in a one-on-one, she gives him an unsportsmanlike kick to the lower zone for getting her hair dirty.
- Lap Pillow: She does this to Drake when she finds him sleeping under a tree in Chapter 6.
- Love Interest: To Drake. There are moments where Yang worries about Drake's safety and blushes from time to time around him. While Drake's feelings are left more ambiguous, he does have moments of appreciation for Yang, going as far to admit that he sees her as an amazing person.
- Nominal Hero: Downplayed and Justified. Yang is actually a very selfless and responsible person who enjoys helping others. But the main-reason she chose to become a Huntress is because of the need for excitement in her life.
- Parental Abandonment: Her biological mother, Raven, left right after Yang was born. To this day, Yang has made it her goal to find her and get answers.
- Plucky Girl: Drake has stated that shes way too positive and never lets anything trouble her. Even if she does throw in the towel, she eventually comes back.
- Proud Beauty: Yang is confident in her looks and usually mentions them from time to time in a more light-hearted and playful manner.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Yang is the hotheaded, boisterous Red to Drake and Blake's calmer, more reserved Blues.
- Replacement Goldfish: Subverted. Drake has stated that Yang reminds him of his brother, but not to the point he likes her solely for that fact. Drake sees Yang as her own person and still thinks of her as an amazing person.
- Ship Tease: With Drake and for several good reasons.
- Yang is one of the few students at Beacon Drake regularly interacts with and knows most of his Dark and Troubled Past. What's more important is that she can relate.
- She has teased him in a flirtatious manner on several occasions, once asking if he "liked what he saw". When he replied, "Yes," Yang was caught off guard and slightly flattered, but became visibly jealous when she realized he was complimenting Blake.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: While she doesnt appear to have an affinity for the color pink, frilly dresses or makeup, she has shown to be incredibly protective of her hair and isn't pleased when she's described as "not feminine".
- You Remind Me of X: Drake has stated that Yang reminds him of his sister, Colette, and his brother, Lloyd.
A quiet, reserved member of Team RWBY. She's a former member of the White Fang and becomes frenemies with Drake and Zelos. Things slowly start to get worse between them.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: The fact that Blake is a former member of the White Fang has much more significance in the story, since it starts to drive a wedge between her and Drake, making their relationship less friendly over the course of the story. It intensifies the guilt she feels over being part of the White Fang becomes the central conflict for one of the arcs.
- Adaptational Karma: While in the original series, Blake sees herself as a former criminal hiding in plain sight, here, her crimes finally catch up to her when it's revealed she was part of a White Fang raid that hurt Drake's friends: Flynn, Jude and Rita.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Kitty". Zelos is the first person to call her this, seeing how her ribbon makes it look like she has cat-ears and even more enforced seeing how she actually IS part cat. Even Yang starts calling her that nickname, much to her annoyance.
- Awakening the Sleeping Giant: While Drake and Blake were never more than acquaintances, they had a certain degree of respect for each other despite their clashing ideals between the White Fang. However, after learning about Blake's involvement in a raid that hurt his friends, Drake lost all respect for Blake and only wants her to answer for what she's done.
- Badass Bookworm: Blake LOVES her reading and is great at kicking ass.
- Byronic Hero: Blake's past with the White Fang and guilt over her actions has left her as a troubled, brooding outcast whose passion at stopping the White Fang leads to a lot of drama. Especially with Drake.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: After hearing about Cruxis and the spirits, Blake starts to detect a more serious threat than the White Fang and can't bring herself to stand by idly. This leads her to trying to learn more about Cruxis and the Spirits, which only widens the gap further between her and Drake.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Blake is constantly hindered by her own flaws and hindrances, mainly being her cowardice and guilt.
- Cowardly Lion: Even if Blake runs from her problems by instinct, she is still capable of putting up a good fight against her opponents and is an excellent huntsman in training.
- Foil: To Drake. Ironically, the two are almost identical with their shadow-themed apparel, combat styles, and aloof personalities. However, it's their ideals that make them foils. Blake believes that the White Fang are misguided while Drake believes they're beyond redemption and will only continue to hurt people. While Blake is a former member of the White Fang, Drake has actual first-hand experience with them, seeing how his childhood friend, Colette, was killed during one of their raids.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calm and collected Blue to Yang's fiery and hot-headed Red.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tuna. Or any kind of fish for that matter.
Yang's younger sister who was admitted to Beacon two years early. Cheerful and optimistic, but socially awkward and naive. She is partnered with Weiss and is the leader of Team RWBY.
- Adorkable: Ruby remains awkward, spirited, and somewhat naive, but Drake still describes her as annoyingly adorable.
- All-Loving Hero: Ruby is very idealistic and always tries to see the best in everyone.
- The Baby of the Bunch: She is the youngest of her group and acts like a spirited yet naive girl. Her age has been brought to attention by Drake on multiple occasions.
- Black and White Morality: She has a firm moral code, which proves problematic for her and her team, as the world she lives in is more Gray than she realizes.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Ruby wants to be a hero, to the point she goes on private investigations with her team and signing up for S-Ranked team missions. Only problem is, those are way out of her league.
- The Cutie: Despite her awkwardness, Ruby is very sweet, lovable and innocent.
- Foil: To Drake. Ruby is an idealist, raised on the stories of heroes saving the world and wanting to protect humanity. Drake is an aloof cynic who has little faith in humanity and sees the world as a cruel place. Their clashing ideologies have always been one of the more central conflicts between their teams, as Ruby believes that Drake lacks compassion, while Drake believes that Ruby lacks common sense.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic.
- Heroic Wannabe: Ruby wants to be a hero. Simple as that. Unfortunately, she's so hell-bent on being a hero, she's willing to put her team through trials that are WAY over their heads.
- Supporting Leader: She's the leader of Team RWBY, one of the most important characters in the story, but is not the main character in this one.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cookies, cookies and MORE cookies.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Justified. Probably her biggest flaw. Ruby is too naive to see the harsh realities of the world they live in. Then again, Ruby is a sweet and innocent character and is very young by Beacon standards.
Ruby's teammate and the heiress to the Schnee Dust Company.
- A-Cup Angst: Her underdeveloped chest is mentioned once in a while by Zelos, much to her embarrassment.
- Foil: To Zelos Wilder. Both come from prestigious families in Atlas, have extensive knowledge of dust, and have shown to not be as confident as they present themselves. However, while Weiss's attitude is more Tsundere-oriented, Zelos is a Stepford Smiler, masking any insecurities or negative emotions with a jovial, carefree attitude.
- Also with Drake. Both are highly intelligent and are one of the harder students to get along with, but ultimately have good hearts. However, Drake has shown to carry much more animosity towards the White Fang and is much more ruthless.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: She gives one to Hubert Oswell after he verbally insults Drake and his friends.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Without her heels, Weiss is actually the shortest member of Team RWBY and is takes her academics the most seriously.
- Tsundere: C'mon. It's Weiss.
- Weak, but Skilled: In terms of physical strength, Weiss is clearly in last place. However, her knowledge of dust and array of glyphs compensate greatly.