Back to main page.
The Leading team of the story and the only Two-Man team at Beacon Academy. Both Drake and Zelos have been best friends since childhood and are currently working together to hunt down Lloyd's killer.
BEWARE OF UNMARKED SPOILERS
- Bash Brothers: Drake and Zelos can raise a lot of hell for their enemies when working together.
- Brains and Brawn: Drake is more cunning and strategic, Zelos is stronger in terms of combat.
- The Charmer: Zelos.
- Childhood Friends: Drake and Zelos have known each other since they were kids.
- Foil: Drake presents himself as aloof, moody and serious; he takes no interest in dating and prefers to keep to himself. Zelos, appears extroverted, flirtatious and carefree; he flirts with almost any beauty he comes across and enjoys having a good time.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Vitriolic Best Buds: They may not have much in common and usually spend a lot of time annoying one another, but they have been close friends since they were young and make an effective team.
- The Strategist: Drake.
Zelos WilderA noble from Atlas, Zelos transfers to Beacon Academy to help Drake in his investigation to solve Lloyds murder and bring the one responsible to justice. While he appears to be a handsome lech and provides most of the comedy in the story, he's actually a troubled soul and finds solace in his friendships. He is Drakes team partner and longtime Best Friend.
- Abusive Parents: This is putting it mildly, seeing how he was born into an unloving family.
- Anti-Hero: Much like Drake, Zelos isn't the typical classic Ideal Hero. He's committed immoral acts for the greater good and is best classified as a Pragmatic Hero.
- Bash Brothers: With Drake and Lloyd when they were kids. Now, it's mostly with Drake.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Years of neglect clearly did him no favors as a child. Needless to say, he was extremely grateful towards Drake and Lloyd for being the first people to ever really accept him and treat him kindly, resulting in his Undying Loyalty towards them.
- Beneath the Mask: Zeloss easy going attitude is mostly a facade. He is flirtatious, extroverted and suave, but it is revealed that he was extremely lonely as a child. He indicates that the overbearing control his mother and stepfather had over him led to a very difficult and unpleasant relationship with both of his parents. After becoming friends with Drake and Lloyd, he became more pleasant and considers them his true family.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He may be the Butt-Monkey, but Zelos has shown many times that he's someone you don't want to push too far.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Zelos is extroverted, fun-loving and daring.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Drake is the blonde, Lloyd is the brunette, and Zelos is the redhead.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Zelos has proven to be extremely intelligent despite appearing Book Dumb compared to Drake, who is the more tactical genius of the two.
- Broken Ace: He may be one of the top students at Beacon, but his family-life was filled with neglect and abuse, plaguing him with insecurities and other serious issues.
- Butt-Monkey: He usually tends to be the main source of comedy in the story.
- The Casanova: Zelos is the classic ladies' man and very flirtatious. He also favors one-night-stands over long-term relationships. His Establishing Character Moment alone features him surrounded by a gaggle of girls as he arrives in Vale.
- The Charmer: Zelos is cocky and charismatic. He's a womanizer and has plenty of confidence when dealing with the opposite sex.
- Chivalrous Pervert: While he will flirt with almost any pretty girl he comes across, he has standards when it comes to women.1. Never gets intimate with someone over a year younger than him2. The girl must not have a crush on someone else3. Never go after an innocent girl (aka a virgin)4. Never stick his d*ck in crazy5. Never do it with a Schnee.
- Cool Sword: His personal weapon, Ether.
- The Cynic: Zelos is can be pretty cynical, but has a more cheery attitude compared to Drake.
- Deadpan Snarker: Zelos always has a witty, snarky or sarcastic comment tucked up his sleeves, but isn't really very deadpan.
- Disappeared Dad: Yaun Ka-Fei, who has been absent all Zelos's life.
- Fiery Red Head: While not nearly as prone to anger as Luke, he is quite a force to be reckoned with when he reaches his breaking point.
- Handsome Lech: Zelos is a very handsome young man who will shamelessly flirt with almost any pretty girl he comes across. Apparently, he's memorized the measurements of every girl in his class.Yang "My eyes are up here, sweetheart."Zelos "Yeah, I know."
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Practically any chapter featuring him has some mention of his heterosexuality or masculinity, and the story always seems to take jabs at his one-night stands and fascination with women.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Subverted. Despite his many one-night stands, Zelos has made it perfectly clear he has the utmost respect for women.
- Heroic Bastard: He was born the child of a Faunus and a Human, and never officially knew his father.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: He may act self-assured, boastful and full of himself at times, but Zelos suffers from serious self-esteem issues.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While not as bad as Drake. Zelos also has his moments of being a jerk, but balances them out with Pet The Dog Moments.
- The Lancer: To Drake in every way. Not only is he the Number Two to Drake's Leader, but he's also the Hot-Blooded Charmer to Drake's levelheaded Strategist.
- Likes Older Women: Zelos has shown no discomfort in flirting with women older than him. He's even upped his charms with Glynda Goodwitch.
- Lonely Rich Kid: As a child he had no friends and assumed everyone was just after his position. Thankfully, he soon met Drake and Lloyd who became his first taste of true camaraderie and friendship.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Oh, absolutely.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Zelos has little to no shame when it comes to flirting. Just listen to his first interaction with Yang.Yang: "My eyes are up here, sweetheart."
Zelos: "Yeah, I know."
- Magic Knight: He wields a sword and shield, but his semblance grants him enhanced attributes and he has access to elemental aura attacks.
- Meaningful Name: His name, Zelos, means zeal, ardor, jealousy" in Ancient Greek, which are emotions commonly associated with the color green.
- The Nicknamer: To several people, actually. He calls both Drake and Blake Bud and "Kitty" respectively, and refers to Weiss as either "Ice Queen" or "Flat Chest".
- Not So Different: With Weiss. Both have a strong hatred against the White Fang, parents who made their home lives a living hell, and friends who changed their lives.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Zelos is highly intelligent, skilled at manipulation, and deals with severe self-loathing due to years of Parental Neglect. He hides this all through the guise of being a happy-go-lucky Handsome Lech who'll hit on any pretty girl who fits his standards.
- Odd Friendship: With Drake. While Zelos' extroverted and fun-loving attitude is a constant annoyance, Drake still considers him his best friend through thick and thin.
- Parental Abandonment: His biological father, Yuan Ka-Fai, left before he was born and has never been present in his life.
- Really Gets Around: He's had plenty of one-night stands and isn't afraid to admit it.
- Sad Clown: Zelos' primary method of hiding any emotional baggage is using his sense of humor.
- Shipper on Deck: He's always encouraged Drake to go out and meet a girl, much to his exasperation.
- Spoiled Brat: Lampshaded by Drake when they were kids. Befriending Drake and Lloyd helped change that.
- Stepford Smiler: Underneath his cheery demeanor is a mess of emotional problems.
- Undying Loyalty: To his friends, but especially Drake. Hes willing to take more drastic measures for his friends sake, be it blackmailing, killing or even betraying. Hell always do right by him, even if that means hurting him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Does this to Blake. He had his reasons.