Characters for Tales of Demons and Gods
open/close all folders
- Above the Influence: To Ye Yin Yun's surprise and shock. In the most recent chapters, she's confused and surprised that he doesn't simply exploit her when she openly offers herself up sexually, as a reward for saving her father's life.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: At the age of 13, he winds up leading the army defending Glory City. Justified as he has a century's worth of experience in an alternate timeline.
- Benevolent Boss: He rewards those who serve him very well.
- Bully Hunter: One of the many reasons he picks fights with the Sacred Family is that the current generation of students are nothing more than bullying thugs. Especially Shen Yue and Shen Lie who both love to bully their arranged marriage fiances.
- Chick Magnet: Justified. He may be a bit of a goofball, but he's rich, powerful, well-connected, and extremely protective to those who will follow him.
- Additionally, he's quite knowledgeable as well for the most part which helps, as shown when he helped Ning Er in choosing the right techniques as well as healing her injuries plus getting rid of the poison in Yi Yun's father.
- Child Prodigy: At age 13, he has reached a level of power that can rival or surpass the best demon spiritualists in Glory City. Justified by the fact that he brought with him a century's worth of knowledge from an alternate timeline.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Downplayed, but present. He has a hard time turning away from seeing others suffer, even at the cost of long-term plans against the criminals doing the oppression. Fortunately, he is aware of it, and doesn't let it sabotage his efforts too much.
- Contrived Coincidence: Or Crazy-Prepared. It's a much shorter list if one mentions the times that he doesn't "just happen to have" what he needs to exploit some new find, once the current timeline starts to diverge from his original.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Which Ye Yi Yun notices and lampshades frequently. Nei Li may act like an air-headed goof-ball most of the time, but there is method to his madness.
- The Gadfly: He loves to tease and provoke Ye Yi Yun because he finds her flustered reaction adorable.
- Good Is Not Soft: Threaten Glory City in general, or his loved ones in particular, and he will bring everything you care about crashing down around you, no matter what it takes.
- Insufferable Genius: He really is quite rude to people he doesn't respect much and has no problems rubbing in his extensive knowledge of cultivation, fighting and alchemy techniques.
- Intrepid Merchant: On occasion. When he finds himself in a remote village, after having overcome dangerous terrain, he trades wares that's very rare for that location, in exchange for what he really wants. Both he and the locals profit greatly from it.
- It's Personal: Nei Li hates the Sacred Family with undying passion because their cowardice and thuggery left him alone in the world with all his loved ones dead, while they fled to an alternate dimension, hiding out the fall of Glory City.
- Karmic Jackpot: You're good to him and his, either in the original or current timeline? Things will go very well for you. Earn his ire? Get ready to see everything you care about reduced to ash before your eyes.
- Proof by Examples: He lists the achievements of Ye Mo as proof that a "commoner" with a poor initial soul realm can smash the "nobles are born superior" lecture being given by Shen Xiu. She counters that he's an extremely rare exception... then Nei Li's inner circle (most of the class) become "genius" level spiritualists, despite being from poor backgrounds, as opposed to the Sacred Family who starts falling behind, and rather quickly.
- Spanner in the Works: To the Sacred Family, and the Dark Guild.
- Troll: He provokes and enrages the Sacred Family at every opportunity because he knows how despicable they truly are and wants to bring them to justice by tripping them over their own feet.
- Unscrupulous Hero: While he is of firm moral fiber and works on behalf of the greater good, he isn't very choosy about the methods he'll employ to meet his goals. If he's got cause to see you as despicable, he will lie, cheat, kill, and steal from you without hesitation or remorse.
- Wounded Gazelle Warcry: When Shen Yue sends a gang of thugs at him in public, he spends the entire "fight" screaming that Sacred Family was trying to kill him, though their true aim was just to give him a beating. He did this precisely to not only humiliate Shen Yue, but to publicly expose how corrupt the Sacred Family actually is.
Snow Wind Family
The patriarch of the Snow Wind family, and the City Lord.
- The Chains of Commanding: Being the City Lord has been rough on his family. The needs of the position and keeping the city safe forced him to neglect his daughter and adopted son.
- Engagement Challenge: He puts Nei Li through a bunch of them. After Nei Li saves Glory City from a massive one million beast assault, he stops objecting altogether, happily handing his daughter off into marriage, if she consents.
- The Farmer and the Viper: Which he lampshades. Ye Han, the boy he picked up out of the slums and adopted? Stabbed him in the back with a poisoned knife as he was being hugged and comforted.
- Hypocrite: He deeply resents Nei Le courting his daughter, Ye Yin Yun, because Nei Li has other women pursuing him romantically. In doing so, he ignores the fact that he has (or had) at least two wives simultaneously.
- Noodle Incident: It is never revealed why such an Overprotective Dad agreed to the arranged marriage between his daughter, Ye Yin Yun, and Shen Yue of the Sacred Family, against whom he's always been suspicious.
- Overprotective Dad: Nei Li tries to court his daughter? DEATH PENALTY!!
- Parents as People: He does his best to be a good and loving father to his kids, but the safety of Glory City citizens comes first.
Ye Yin Yun
Nei Li's primary love interest and the girl he's desperately trying to woo.
- Abomination Accusation Attack: She once accuses Nei Li of being yet another "suitor" simply looking to exploit her for her family's political position, so he can be an Heir-In-Law, and throws him out. She realizes how wrong she was when Nei Li shows up and saves her father's life, in spite of this unfounded charge.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: She's shocked and confused when Nei Li chooses to sleep beside her after she comes into his quarters for the night wearing erotic negligee and offering herself up sexually. Her aunt often told her men lust after what they can't have and lose interest when they get it.
- Arranged Marriage: She was engaged to Shen Yue and seemed to have no particular qualms about it apart from finding him rather boring. However, Nie Li basically runs a smear campaign against him to show him for what he really is, after which the engagement is called off.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Purple Hair and Eyes.
- Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex: In the original timeline, after the fall of Glory City, when she and Nei Li managed to escape with their lives, after Sacred Family abandoned her, she snuck into his tent... He married her as a direct result. Said marriage was tragically short.
- Hime Cut: Her hair is cut short in the classical ojou manner.
- An Ice Person: Her techniques and demon spirits center around ice.
- Insecure Love Interest: She used to have some significant pride in herself, though she was no braggart. However, Nie Li's outstanding ability started giving her an inferiority complex. She also begins to see how devoted Xiao Ning'Er is to him, and doesn't feel worthy of interfering with that.
- The Lost Lenore: Nie Li's interest in her seems to be mainly a result of him having lost her before even though they weren't actually together or even that close for long in his previous life. He goes through a lot of effort to improve not just her strength but also begins coming up with ways to make her increasingly difficult to kill.
- Purple Is Powerful: Even in the original timeline, she was a powerful demon spiritualist. The current timeline makes her even stronger thanks to Nei Li.
- Shipper on Deck: She fully supports Nei Li and Xiao Ning Er's relationship, finding them a beautiful couple.
- Tough Love: On the receiving end. When Nei Li and her father anticipate an attack from Sacred Family, they lure her into a room with a powerful energy barrier and lock her up inside until the threat has passed. She, unsurprisingly, resents it.
- Tsundere: Type B. She's very elegant and cordial to everyone except those who get close to her and under her skin. Nei Li is very close to her, and loves teasing her as he finds her flustered reaction adorable.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The classic definition in appearance, behavior, and character.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A mix of purple and rose.
Ye Yong's adopted son.
- Entitled Bastard: While he did actually train himself to be a fine and powerful warrior, he fully expected to be handed the title of City Lord simply for being the adopted son of Ye Yong. The moment he was surpassed by Nei Li, he lashes out at Ye Yong for not granting him the title earlier.
- Entitled to Have You: To Ye Yin Yun. Despite the fact that she's his step-sister, he constantly lusts over her. In the original timeline this is not mentioned since he was "away" when Glory City fell. In the current timeline, he comes back from... wherever it is he was "training," and tries to act on it.
- Happily Adopted: For the most part. Although he did receive a great deal of discrimination for his "commoner" blood, he was happy to be the son of Ye Yong... until Shen Xia got her claws into him.
- Moral Myopia: Combined with Revenge Myopia. He forces Nei Li into a duel with himself, holding out Ye Yin Yun's hand in marriage to the winner, then loses and promises to "pay him back" at some point in the future.
- Never My Fault: As he's stabbing Ye Yong in the back, he shouts "you forced me to do this."
- Sore Loser: His response to losing a duel he demanded from Nei Li? An oath to try and avenge himself, because "if [he] doesn't get some payback, [he] can't call himself a man." Nei Li calls him out on it, hard.
- Villainous Incest: His intentions towards Ye Yin Yun are clearly not healthy, and there is no crime he'd overlook to act on them.
A minor member of Snow Wind Family
- Hopeless Suitor: He's constantly hitting of Yang Xin of the Alchemist Organization. She's completely uninterested.
A great elder, and second in command to The City Lord.
Winged Dragon Family
Common to all.
- Forced into Evil: Though it's never mentioned who started the conflict, Xiao Ning Er testifies that her family was completely crushed, politically, economically, and militarily by Sacred Family and they have to bow the knee as a subservient family in order to survive, and that's the primary reason she was an arranged marriage fiance to Shen Fei. This all came to an end when she demonstrated not only being a once in thousand years talent, but can and will fight back against the Sacred Family's abuses.
Xiao Ning Er
The character most often depicted on the cover.
- Adaptational Badass: Zigzagged. In some scenes, she's weaker than the source material (like being kidnapped) and in others she's way stronger, like taking down the same type of ape that Nei Li had to run from.
- Arranged Marriage: To Shen Fei. Until she becomes strong enough to say "fuck off" to his face and enforce it with a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, at which point her family and Sacred Family happily annul the engagement.
- Battle Couple: With Nei Li. When they do share the battlefield together, their synergy is a work of art.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The fact that Nei Li treats her as an equal, with genuine kindness and respect, causes her to fall for him, hard. She will not give up pursuing him romantically until she dies, despite being well aware that he has feeling for Ye Yin Yun.
- Debt Detester: The primary reason she's so devoted to Nei Li is that she doesn't feel she's done enough for his sake to balance the debt of healing her "arctic disease" and save her life. This is despite the fact that Nei Li specifically tells her that he did it purely for its own sake.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: As Nei Lie is using a magical massage to treat her "arctic disease" condition, her moans of pain are rather suggestive. The fact that one of the affected areas is right under her left breast doesn't help. Neither does Nei Li's assertion that "it only hurts at first..."
- Driven by Envy: The reason her childhood friendship with Ye Yin Yun soured is because she's always been jealous of the life of privilege the latter seemed to have. In the current timeline, thanks to Nei Li, this gets addressed, discussed, and rectified.
- Fiery Red Head: Literally and figuratively. She not only has an explosive temper, but she can summon flames and have them do her will.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Combined with Hoist by His Own Petard. In the original timeline, her own diligence in cultivating and training crippled her, so she was not able to escape her Arranged Marriage to Shen Fei... until she wandered off into a forest, and was never seen or heard from again.
- Instant Expert: Invoked and Justified. Her "soul aura" causes her to learn and master techniques very quickly. In the original timeline, she chose the wrong techniques and the backlash almost killed her. In the current timeline, after Nei Li gave her the most suitable techniques for her, she became one of the top demon spiritualists of the current generation. This convinces her family to annul the arranged marriage to Shen Fei, and start shamelessly shipping her to Nei Li.
- I Owe You My Life: To Nei Li. Because he diagnosed her "arctic disease" condition, cured it, and gave her the proper techniques allowing her to bring out her true power, saving her life several times in the process, she is completely devoted to him, and will allow no other man to touch her.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Though she does want Nei Li to see her as a woman and become romantically involved with her, she won't interfere with or obstruct his pursuit of Ye Yin Yun.
- Love Hurts: Knowing that Nei Li, rendered unconscious saving the city from a Dark Guild attack, speaks about Ye Yin Yun in his sleep, but not herself, drives her to tears.
- Luminescent Blush: When Nei Li finally reciprocates her feelings and presents her family a dowry of very high-grade elixirs, her cheeks turn a nice shade of strawberry. The fanbase universally finds it adorable.
- Ms. Fanservice: Is often placed on the cover in a bikini or other revealing outfit.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After she beats Shen Fei to within an inch of his life, and is stopped from finishing him off by her father, she backs off, not because she thinks the bastard didn't deserve it, but for fear of Sacred Family's retaliation. Fortunately, she soon learns that Nei Li had already made plans to deal with Sacred Family and approves of her decision to literally wipe the floor with Shen Fei.
- Playing with Fire: Some of the techniques Nei Li gifted her allow her to summon fire and control it.
- Power Gives You Wings: The first time her power publicly manifests in the current timeline, she sports spiritual wings. This convinces her family elders that she's way too valuable an asset to just hand over to Sacred Family, regardless of the consequences.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair reaches the center of her back.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: In the original timeline, since nobody was able or willing to come to her aid in the Awful Wedded Life that was her engagement to Shen Fei, she wondered off into the forest, abandoning everything, and was never heard from again.
- Shock and Awe: She can also hurl around bolts of lightning.
- Through His Stomach: How she's trying to woo Nei Li. It's working.
- Undying Loyalty: To Nei Li. She will follow him to the ends of the Earth, or die trying, given the chance.
Xiao Ning Er's father.
One of the more morally ambiguous leaders of the Winged Dragon Family.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the original material, he's a bit of a jerk, but never fully sides with Sacred Family. In the cartoon, he openly conspires with Shen Fei to drug and kidnap Xiao Ning Er...
- Asshole Victim: In season 2 of the cartoon, he's so odious, and inept, that when he's crippled by a swarm of Black Bees, even Dark Guild thinks he got off easy.
- Bureaucratically Arranged Marriage: He's the one who pushed for Xiao Ning Er to be married of to Shen Fei, to appease the Sacred Family.
- Game-Breaking Injury: In season 2 of the cartoon, he is stung by a swarm of Black Bees. Although he survives, the Bee's venom makes it so that he can never, ever use Spiritual arts again. By that point, he really, really had it coming.
- Real Politik: All he cares about is gathering power and favor for the clan as a whole. The fates of individual members or questions of morality are a secondary concern, at best.
- Redemption Equals Death: As he lay on his sick-bed, recovering from the Black Bee poison, he tries to warn Xiao Yunfeng regarding Dark Guild. He barely gets the word "Dark" out before they kill him.
Heavenly Circle Family
Nei Li's father.
- Bumbling Dad: He's every bit the goofball Nei Li is, but he means well, and is otherwise a good and loving father.
- Like Father, Like Son: Mai Li really takes after him.
- Shipper on Deck: To the point of I Want Grandkids. He's thrilled that Nei Li is a Chick Magnet, and happily supports both Xiao Ning Er and Ye Yi Yun.
- So Proud of You: When Nei Li returns to Heavenly Circle Village as an official Bronze Star spiritualist, he's ecstatic and says the trope name word for word. When Nei Li is instrumental in repelling assassins trespassing in the family's territory, and capturing two of the ringleaders, he's prouder still.
Second in charge to the organization. She receives a lot of confessions, but seems to throw them all away was a waste of her time.
- The Alleged Boss: Around Nei Li, and only Nei Li. Around everyone else, she's clearly in charge. Of course, this is only because she doesn't want to offend Nei Li's benefactor.
- I Never Told You My Name: She asks Nei Li how he knows her when he greets her by name at the alchemist Association. Nei Li explains it by being the one who wrote and delivered the letter concerning purple grass to her...
- Mrs. Robinson: Invoked, but averted. She develops a bit of a crush on Nie Li but knows that the age gap is too wide: When he was born, she was already an adult, indicating she's at least in her mid 30s.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Purely as an aesthetic choice, she has a lock of hair that hides half of her face. She's not hiding anything, she just likes the look.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Polite, refined, but smart, strong, and savvy enough to make any family elder toe the line one on one, even Sacred Family.
- The Tease: She likes to flirt with Nie Li, though he doesn't really respond at all. She privately admits that she really does have a thing for him but wouldn't actually pursue it due to being so much older.
- True Blue Femininity: Her outfit choice centers around blue and she's very feminine.
- Vanity Is Feminine: The use she likes for purple grass most is as a body tonic that lakes her look younger and sexier.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Solid purple hair.
The one who greets Nei Li at the gates of the Alchemist association.
A rather cocky man Nei Li meets at the exam area.
- All Just a Dream: Combined with This Can Not Be. He believes he's dreaming when he hears that Nei Li passed the hardest exam, with flying colors. So he runs out of the association and along the walls of Glory City.
- Butt-Monkey: He goes out of his way to flaunt his "superiority" over Nei Li and friends, only to realize they are way, way above him. So then he runs off screaming about this generation all being "monsters." Hillarity Ensues on both sides of the fourth wall.
- The Bet: Engages in one with Nei Li. If Nei Li can pass the exam, he'll run along the entire outer walls of Glory City.
- Smug Snake: He thinks he's more prepared for the exam than anyone else, including Nie Li. He's so wrong, it hurts.
President Gu Yan
The president of the Alchemist Association
- Cassandra Truth: Inverted. He needs to go and see Nei Li with his own eyes, answering things on the Alchemist's bulletin board that had the whole guild stumped for years, before he can bring himself to accept the fact that Nei Li had passed the entrance exam with a perfect score.
- Dull Surprise: When he learns that the examinee who cleared the special exam is 13-14 years old, he drops everything in shock.
A valiant and virtuous warrior who slew large numbers of Sacred Family traitors in the original timeline.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: A bit of a goofball, but a powerful spiritualist in either timeline.
- The Paragon: The reason Nei Li likes him is because he's the embodiment of truth and justice, even if he is a bit odd.
- Wise Beyond His Years: Even when his loyal followers all nae say Nei Li, he still sees the latter's Hidden Depths and trusts him implicitly. His trust winds up well, well rewarded, even after giving Nei Li first pick of Ancient Orchid City Ruins treasure.
A very flirtatious woman Nei Li encounters as part of the Ancient Orchid City expedition.
- Hopeless Suitor: She's constantly trying to get into Nei Li's pants, and doesn't accept the fact that he's clearly not interested.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: The reason she wants romantic relations with Nei Li so badly is that he's capable of resisting her aphrodisiac powers. She doesn't care how many other women he's involved with, as long as she gets some "loving" too.
- Living Aphrodisiac: Her demon beast power allows her to emit powerful pheromones that make anyone she wants completely unable to resist her wiles, except for Nei Li who has exceptional will-power.
- Marshmallow Hell: Her response to Nei Li accidentally bumping into her back? Grab him and shove his face into her cleavage, despite his protests.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She has absolutely no hesitation to show off the goods, if it gets her what she wants.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Bright pink, though it looks like it might be dyed.
A sixteen year old spiritualist who is fixated on Hyuan Lanruo, despite the fact that she's clearly not interested in him.
- Abomination Accusation Attack: When Nei Li and Ye Yin Yun were found in Ancient Orchid City's treasure room, he accused Nei Li of stealing more than was allotted by the terms of the agreement to let him join the expedition. Chen Lijan would have none of it, as he believed Nei Li proved his character several times over.
- Attack Backfire: He uses a powerful spirit energy technique, trying to overload and destroy Nei Li's spiritual core, to cripple, if not outright kill him. Nei Li happens to know a healing technique that allows his core to expand and heal, making it bigger and stronger. This results in Nei Li absorbing most of Chan's spiritual power and becoming much stronger.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He sees Hyuan Lanruo crawling all over Nei Li, and easily believes Nei Li is sniffing her out.
- Entitled to Have You: To Hyuan Lanruo.
- Sore Loser: When it looks like he'll lose a friendly spar with Nei Li, he goes full tilt Axe-Crazy and tries to cripple or kill him.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He gives Nei Li, whom he knows nothing about, three "free" moves to attack him.
Common To All
- Adaptational Villainy: They are even more despicable in the cartoon. What few redeeming features existed in the source material are either removed or sorely downplayed.
- The Bully: They love to throw their weight around, either browbeating the people of Glory City with their political power, or beating them up with brute strength, if not both.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: They have the "Devil's technique" which can only be used by members of Dark Guild. When they use it, after feeling themselves cornered in Ye Yong's mansion, it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're traitors to Glory City.
- Miles Gloriosus: They loudly proclaim themselves as the best, bravest, and strongest Demon Spiritualists in Glory City, and that they should be the rightful rulers. Facing a real challenge? They run and hide behind someone or something.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Combined with Straw Misogynist. They see women as weak toys to exploit, at best.
- Underestimating Badassery: Combined with Wrong Genre Savvy. They constantly underestimate Nei Li and friends because they're firmly into the mindset that he's a no-name loser from a fallen noble family, as was the case in the original timeline. Every time they go after him and his, they are utterly gobsmacked that he's handing their asses to them. The one exception is Shen Hong, but by the time he personally takes action, it's too late for them.
- Wants a Prize for Basic Decency: They managed to become one of the top three families by holding back their strongest, putting forth the absolute minimum they can get away with during Demon Beast attacks on Glory city, letting all the other families wear themselves out. When caught in the act performing some crime, their go-to "defense" is the protest that their "many contributions to Glory City" should grant them the benefit of the doubt.
The patriarch of the family
- Badass Beard: His white beard reaches the ground. He can kick plenty of ass when he wants.
- Badass Cape: Combined with Shoulders of Doom. He has a very long and elegant cape with huge shoulder pads, and his power level is second only to Ye Yong, the City Lord.
- Beard of Evil: A long, white beard on a truly despicable individual.
- Devil in Plain Sight: He is a very obviously abhorrent individual, yet in the original timeline, nobody had even the tiniest suspicion of his actions until his entire family openly betrayed and abandoned Glory City. Nei Li makes a point of exposing his sins to the world, and making sure he answers for them. Which he ultimately does.
- Despotism Justifies the Means: He doesn't have an end-goal beyond taking control of Glory City, he just wants to be City Lord, by any means necessary.
- Do Wrong, Right: Misogyny aside, his biggest complaint against Shen Fei's actions is that the abusive bastard has no patience or self-discipline, and his inability to handle a relatively minor slight can and does jeopardize far more serious matters.
- Evil Old Folks: He's clearly in his 60's and he's despicable.
- Feeling Oppressed by Their Existence: He loathes Ye Yong, the current Lord of Glory City, not for anything the man has done, but for the "crime" of simply existing. He even admits killing Ye Yong's wife, Ye Yin Yun's mother.
- Heel Realization: He does ultimately realize how wrong he is as he lays dying, his family destroyed by its own villainy.
- It's All About Me: All he cares about is his own legacy. The needs and wants of his actual descendants can go hang themselves in a corner if they don't align with that. The fate of everyone else in Glory City is even worse.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: During a massive Demon Beast attack on Glory City, he not only tells his family to "only go through the motions" in pretending to defend the city, but constantly tries to find an opportunity to literally backstab Ye Yong and make it look like the work of a Demon Beast attack, or accidental "friendly fire."
- Orcus on His Throne: For most of the story, he is either "in training" or running the Sacred Family from their ancestral estate. Although he proves himself a powerful fighter, by the time he intervenes personally, it's too late.
- Politeness Judo: He is so skilled at this that he can convincingly tell people "black is white." This comes to an end when his family openly reveals they're traitors working with Dark Guild.
- Revenge Myopia: He is obsessed with getting revenge on anyone and everyone who has "wronged" his family. The fact that said wrongs are people simply defending themselves from his own family's tyranny, oppression, and openly villainous acts is irrelevant.
- Second Place Is for Losers: The reason he hates the Snow Wind Family? Especially the City Lord? They're better demon spiritualists than he and his family are, and he can't take it!
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: He constantly directs his family's ire at Nei Li for fear of watching his legacy go up in smoke. The villainous acts he and his family undertake in trying to eliminate Nei Li is precisely what makes this fall happen.
- Stupid Evil: His plan to collaborate with Dark Guild in order to attack Glory City to eliminate all his political rivals and take control of the city afterward would leave him with nothing to rule over.
- Tautological Templar: He believes that helping humanity recover from the eventual fall of Glory City, with him in charge, of course, is a truly noble goal. So everything he and Sacred Family do in pursuit of that goal must be noble and just without exception. It takes his death and the complete destruction of Sacred Family, outed as traitors, to make him see how wrong he is.
- Villain Has a Point: In his offer to Duan Jian to join Sacred Family, he mentions that should things stay as they are, Glory City's fall is inevitable. In this assertion, he is absolutely correct.
- You Have Failed Me: His response to failure from his family members is death-threats, if he's feeling generous.
- Younger Than They Look: He looks like an old man and is a bit touchy about it, but he's only about Ye Zong's age.
Introduced as the teacher in Nei Li's class. An incredibly haughty and unpleasant woman.
- Cynical Mentor: She starts she series lecturing a class of would-be spiritualists that their initial background and family circumstances is an insurmountable barrier, and visibly chafes when Nei Li suggests otherwise. Amazingly, she secretly seems rather pleased when her class proves her wrong.
- Evil Redhead: She has red hair, and is as vicious as a viper, despite having a fox spirit.
- Evil Virtues: Honor and Honesty. At no point in the series does she ever outright lie about something. She was truly unaware that the Sacred Family's favorite signature technique was plagiarized. While she is quite vicious, if she's beaten at her own game, she takes her loss with elegance and class, and she always keeps her promises, in the spirit they are given.
- Female Misogynist: Combined with Internalized Categorism. She takes the Sacred Family credo that women are weak tools to be exploited to heart. She includes herself in that number, which only serves to make her more vicious when she thinks another woman steps out of line...
- Femme Fatale: She uses the lure of sex and power to entice Ye Han into betraying the Snow Wind family and attacking Ye Yong with a poisoned dagger.
- Graceful Loser: Unlike the rest of her family, she honors her end of the bet with Nei Li with elegance, not ranting, raving, and promises of revenge. In fact, it almost seems that the only reason she bears a grudge is because her patriarch, Shen Hong, forces her to.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: She tries to impress and wow VIPs, including the dean, by showcasing several prominent techniques "crafted" by her family. She also tries to make Nei Li look like a lazy delinquent in the process. Unfortunately, Nei Li is able to prove that at least one of those techniques was plagiarized from a book of techniques in the spiritualist library.
- Hot Teacher: Both figuratively and literally. While her personality is horrendous, she is physically very attractive. Her "Fox flame spirit" also lets her summon and control flames.
- I Gave My Word: One of her few virtues is that she will honor her promises. When Nei Li bet her that should he become a bronze star spiritualist in two months, she'll have to resign... she resigned when he succeeded, even without outside pressure forcing her to comply. In fact, the dean didn't want to let her go, due to how many "geniuses" her class turned out, but honored her wishes when she did.
- A Lighter Shade of Black: While she is still quite vicious and villainous, the dean was right to bring her in as a teacher. She is competent, impartial, and fair while in the classroom. Her resignation actually hurt Orchid Academy.
- Little Bit Beastly: Unlike most spiritualists, when she calls upon her Demon Spirit, she only gains fox ears and a fox tail. The rest of her remains as a very attractive human female.
- Punched Across the Room: When Nei Li has had enough of seeing Xiao Ning Er getting slandered by her, he sends Duan Jian after her. Duan Jian slaps her so hard, she's sent flying into a pillar on the other side of the banquet hall.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Although she does target Nei Li because she finds him a personal nuisance, she is right to try and out him as a delinquent because he's disruptive, takes naps during the class, and obviously does not take the lesson she's trying to teach seriously.
- Social Darwinist: Only the strong demon spiritualists are worthy of respect. Everyone else is "trash."
- Sugary Malice: An expert. She's great at browbeating, tormenting, and humiliating people with flowery words and phrases. Against Nei Li, and only Nei Li, this backfires spectacularly.
- What You Are in the Dark: When she offered up her resignation, the dean of Orchid Academy pleaded with her to stay on as a teacher. She could have gone to class and truthfully stated that the dean wouldn't let her go. Instead, she very sincerely and politely pleaded until the dean reluctantly honored her wishes and let her withdraw quietly.
- You Can't Fight Fate: "Commoners" becoming better spiritualists than nobility? HAH! What a foolish and naive notion.
The acting patriarch of the Sacred Family while Shen Hong was in meditation, training his soul realm.
- Evil Old Folks: His villainy is second only to Shen Hong in the Sacred Family, and he's almost as old.
- Hope Spot: Invoked repeatedly. Nei Li's fights against Sacred Family fighters all had Nei Li "struggling" and being on the losing end, until a "sudden surprise upset" granted him the victory, especially in the last fight, showcased in chapter 108 of the manga/manhua, where he decides to stop holding back and hiding his strength.
- Last-Second Chance: A rare villainous example and combined with Assassins Are Always Betrayed. He's tasked with assassinating Nei Li to "erase his mistakes" in costing the Sacred Family 450 million demon spirit coins. He not only fails, but gets captured by Nei Li and handed over to the Alchemist's Guild for interrogation.
- Overlord Jr.: He's Shen Hong's son.
- Sunk Cost Fallacy: Invoked and Exploited. Nei Li goads him into making larger and larger wagers on fights between himself and members of the Sacred Family, not only by insults and provocations, but by teasing him with very narrow victories. In this manner, Nei Li manages to fleece the Sacred Family of 450 million demon spirit coins.
The arranged marriage fiance of Ye Yin Yun.
- Adaptational Dumbass: In the manwha and literature, he only does what's in the Did Not Think This Through entry once. In the All-CGI Cartoon, he does it repeatedly, to the point of They Just Don't Get It.
- Did Not Think This Through: He rounds up six guys and attacks Nei Li, without any obvious cause or provocation, in public, and repeatedly shouts things along the lines of "pummel him until he dies" as Nei Li is screaming that Sacred Family is trying to murder him, while trying to run away. He then has the gall to call Nei Li "despicable" when he's caught.
- Entitled to Have You: To Ye Yin Yun. Even after Ye Yong annuls the arranged marriage, he still sees her as "his" and refuses to give her up... until Nei Li beats him into the ground.
- Moral Myopia: He repeatedly antagonizes Nei Li, among others, even trying to beat Nei Li to death, in public, yet when any of his intended victims retaliate, or he gets called out on it, his intended victims are the despicable ones.
- Never My Fault: The consequences of all his bullying, villainy, and wrongdoing? It's the fault of Nei Li and friends! That's who! and they must pay!
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After the Sacred Hall "Merits Tournament," he simply disappears from the story.
Xiao Ning Er's arranged marriage fiance.
- Abomination Accusation Attack: He's fond of insulting Xiao Ning Er's chastity, or what he sees as a lack thereof. Xiao Ning Er gets quite tired of it, and when he attacks her, beats him down so hard, her father has to stop her, or she would have killed him.
- Adaptational Intelligence: He is far more cunning, crafty and patient in the cartoon than the source material, never openly confronting Nei Li, and working through subordinates to get things done.
- Adaptational Villainy: As despicable as he is in the original material, he's even worse in the cartoon. In the cartoon, he's an open and unrepentant rapist.
- Asshole Victim: Even Shen Hong, the patriarch of Sacred Family, wished Xiao Ning Er had beat this guy to death, and tells him so to his face.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: As lampshaded in Xiao Ning Er's internal monologue. He is indeed quite talented for a Demon Spiritualist, able to reach a one-star "gold" rank from a 5-star bronze without outside help in less than a single school semester. However, he spends so much time fooling around, and literally screwing over women, neglecting his cultivation and training in the process, that he falls behind those who are both talented and diligent, like Xiao Ning Er who became a two-star gold from a three-star bronze in even less time. He has the gall to be utterly gobsmacked that she's literally cleaning the floor with him, in a battle where she doesn't even have the tactical advantage!
- Card-Carrying Villain: He happily admits that he not only sees women as nothing more than toys for him to screw over, literally, but that he's done so already on numerous innocent girls. It is never mentioned if any of these girls had any choice in the matter.
- Domestic Abuser: His relationship with Xiao Ning Er in the original timeline. In the current timeline, Nei Li is able to rescue her from that, by scuppering the arranged marriage in the first place. She is very, very grateful.
- Entitled to Have You: To Xiao Ning Er. Even the complete annulment of the arranged marriage by both families doesn't deter him from proclaiming her as his fiance. Not even when she tells him to his face that he's unwelcome.
- Evil Redhead: He has red hair, and he's among the most despicable people in the Sacred Family.
- For Great Justice: He demands "justice" against the Winged Dragon family because Xiao Ning Er spurned him, and he refused to take "no" for an answer. What's more, he wants redress for being seriously injured despite the fact that these injuries came about as a direct result of him barging into Wing Dragon Family's home, against Hong's orders, challenging Xiao Ning Er to a fight, and being soundly trounced in the fight he himself demanded.
- I Can Still Fight!: The primary reason Xiao Ning Er beat him to within an inch of his life is that he just kept getting up and coming at her. He had to be carried away on a stretcher before he stopped hostilities, at which point he went and begged Shen Hong to avenge him.
- I Was Beaten by a Girl: Invoked. While Shen Hong is angry that he disobeyed orders to not provoke he Winged Dragon Family at a particularly inconvenient time, Shen Hong is even more outraged that Shen Fei lost a battle to Xiao Ning Er, a woman, and told the boy to his face that he's a piece of trash and doesn't deserve "justice" precisely because he lost.Shen Hong: "Seek justice your ass! [sic] You can't even defeat a woman; how useless can you be?"
- Punched Across the Room: Literally. Xiao Ning Er begins the duel with him by hitting him so hard, he's sent flying into a pillar, cracking it from the force of impact.
- Really Gets Around: He's not only screwed over numerous girls, he's impregnated and abandoned them. This is well-known.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: When going into a duel with Xiao Ning Er, he thought he was a shoe in, and just needed to beat some obedience into her, to take her into the Sacred Family. Further, he thought he could "discipline" the entire Winged Dragon Family all by himself. Say hello to a beatdown so hard, he had to be carried away in a stretcher, and if Xiao Ning Er hadn't been stopped, he'd be dead!
- Taught by Experience: When he went into a duel with Nei Li, he didn't even bother pulling out his Demon Spirit, laughing at the "Bronze Star" challenger who pulled out his Demon Spirit (the fanged panda). After getting slapped around like a rag doll, he wises up and pulls out his Demon Spirit, but it's too late, as his acting Patriarch forces an end to the fight by officially surrendering. From that point onward, he pulls out his Demon Spirit the moment a fight begins, regardless who he's up against. Still doesn't help him.
- They Just Don't Get It: No matter who tells him that Xiao Ning Er is off limits, he still tries to forcefully claim her as his fiance. Even when she gives him a repeated No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, to the point that he's grievously injured and taken away on a stretcher, he still proclaims she's his fiance, and he deserves to torture the hell out of her for "seducing some other guy."
- Villains Want Mercy: As he lay sprawled on the floor, Xiao Ning Er looming over him and prepared to deal the killing blow, he weakly and desperately pleads for his life. If Xiao Yunfeng hadn't stopped her, Xiao Ning Er would not have obliged.
- You're Insane!: He just can not comprehend that Xiao Ning Er is sick of him, his abuse, his threats of violence, and insults against her chastity. So when he threatens her entire family, and she has the gall to fight back, and utterly trounce him, he comes to the "realization" that she's gone nuts!
One of Sacred Family's top enforcers.
- Evil Redhead: He's particularly nasty and sports flaming red hair.
- Hypocrite: He joins Shen Xia for the express purpose of dragging Xiao Ning Er off, by force, to join Sacred Family through an arranged marriage that was already annulled, yet when Nei Li intervenes and retaliates against Shen Xia's slander, he loudly proclaims that violence against women is wrong.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He grabs Duan Jian, who he knows nothing about, and attacks him with "Flame Palm," a technique even Shen Hong can't defend against without serious preparation. Say hello to the wrong end of a Curbstomp Battle.
As a whole.
- Card-Carrying Villain: They're despicable, they know it, they're proud of it.
- Explosive Leash: All dark guild members are afflicted by a technique that if they're suspected of being captured or turning against their peers, their superiors can kill them, regardless of distance or barrier. There is no defense against this.
- Hate Sink: On both sides of the fourth wall. Unless someone is collaborating with them, the response to their name is absolute hatred, regardless of who is asked.
- Omnicidal Maniac: They need to be given a reason to not try and kill people on sight.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: Their strongest members sacrifice newborns en masse, simply on the off-chance that they can reincarnate in one of them, to extend their lifespan and rise in power level and rank.
- Possession Burnout: Their "Soul Sacrifice" technique burns through their "borrowed" bodies very quickly. The stronger they already are, the faster it burns through them.... Talk about "rate of diminishing returns."
- The Syndicate: They are the organized crime of the world. They not only rule their ranks with a Reign of Terror, but there is no crime they'd overlook if they can profit in any way, even if it is simply For the Evulz.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Their "training" methods are known to not only give the practitioner intense pain and drastically short lifespans, but breeds madness too.
The first named commander Nei Li comes across.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Combined with Revenge Myopia. He hunts Nei Li while trespassing in the territory of Heavenly Circle Family, and when he meets resistance, he swears to avenge himself by eliminating the entire Heavenly Circle Family after just one of his men falls before him.
- The Mole: Nei Li notices him in Glory City and is informed that he works in a Sacred Family business.
- Only in It for the Money: All he cares about is getting rich except that Black Guild plans to unleash a Demon Beast army so massive it destroys Glory City, leaving him nowhere to spend it.
- Peek-a-Bangs: One side of his face is constantly hidden by a lock of hair.
- Recognition Failure: Subverted. When they cross path in Glory city, both he and Nei Li pretend to not recognize each other, but they recognize each other quite well.
One of the top three members of Dark Guild.
- Beard of Evil: Sports a goatee and is utterly depraved.
- Casting a Shadow: His powers center around darkness.
- Dark IS Evil: Wears solid black clothing, and is completely villainous.
- Death by Adaptation: Subverted In the original source, Nei Li is forced to let him go, because even with the 10,000 demon spirit array, he was too strong to take on directly, at least without massive casualties. In the cartoon, Ye Xio is able to take him down, with a bit of help, and a massive home-field advantage. Even then, the stinger reveals that he escaped by using a "substitution" technique.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Combined with Guttyral Growler. Speaks in baritone with a very hoarse voice.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Has shoulder-length hair, and is quite handsome, if depraved.
- Villain Teleportation: Like Dark Lord, he appears and disappears through a dark portal.
- Virtue Is Weakness: His response to Nei Li agreeing to his terms regarding a Hostage Situation? "I did not think you would be so... emotional."
The founder and leader of Dark Guild.
- Create Your Own Villain: On the receiving end. The original Demon Lord used to be an orphan taken in by an old retainer of a clan called Red Jade family, until said family went You Have Failed Me on the old man, killing him, and drove the kid out into demon beast territory. The kid came back, and not only wiped out Red Jade Family, to the last, but killed everyone in the way.
- Legacy Character: When the acting Demon Lord dies, or becomes too infirm to run the criminal syndicate, a new "Demon Lord" is chosen from the most capable followers, and that becomes his new name, forever. His original name is erased from all documents and records, never mentioned again.
- No Name Given: Invoked. Upon becoming Demon Lord, the candidate's name is stricken from all records and never mentioned again.
- Omnicidal Maniac: All he cares about is killing as many people as possible, as fast as possible, especially if they come from Glory City.
- Villain Teleportation: While he doesn't make any appearance in the source material, in season 2 of the cartoon, he appears in a cloud of darkness at the Dark Guild branch inside Sacred city to give a "message" to Dan Yua.
- You Have Failed Me: Threatens Dan Yua with this if he fails to collect the recipe for a cultivation elixir...
Silver Wing Family
Common To All
- Find the Cure!: They, especially the monarch, are desperate to find a cure to having the wings they're born with slowly and painfully rejected by their bodies. Nei Li is able to exploit this, not only to save his life and the lives of his followers, but to steal some "favor" from them.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: They are highly fascistic, and their depravity could put the Third Reich to shame.
- Pure Is Not Good: They are obsessed with purity in all forms, both physical and mental, including the "pure" belief that they are the best and strongest of families everywhere, and this is precisely why they are despicable as a whole, with very rare exception.
- Virtue Is Weakness: They think any and all wholesome values are something easily exploited.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The very thing that gives them power, their silver wings, also drastically reduces their lifespans, painfully leading to death.
A "slave" Nei Li encounters in the Silver Wing Family headquarters.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Since he was born!
- Dark Is Not Evil: He fights with dark attribute magic, and has black wings and hair, but he's among the most noble and upright individuals in the setting.
- I Owe You My Life: By freeing him from Silver Wing Family, Nei Li has gained complete and absolute loyalty from one of the strongest fighters in the series, for life.
- Maligned Mixed Ancestry: The Silver Wing Family hates him beyond all reason because he's the son of a Silver Wing Family woman and a Dragon Wing Family man.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Nei Li's word is law, no objections.
- No-Sell: Even the most powerful of flame techniques from Sacred Family can barely make him flinch.
- Orphan's Ordeal: His parents were killed by Silver Wing Family, and then they tortured him since he was an infant, never letting him die...
- Relative Button: Do not speak ill of his mother. If you do, he will kill you brutally, the very first opportunity.
- Training from Hell: He endures three solid days of excruciating pain that has him screaming in agony, day and night, in order to escape the magical shackles put on him by Silver Wing Family and unlock his true power.
- Undying Loyalty: He will serve Nei Li, no questions asked. If Nei Li orders him to die, so be it.
- You Can't Go Home Again: He considers the death of his parents this way. With them dead, he has nowhere to go.