This page is for tropes related to characters appearing in sweet pool.
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Wataru Hatano
- Big Little Brother: His sister is older than him, but he's naturally taller.
- Conveniently an Orphan: He lost his parents at a young age, which means he has no one to properly confide in about his... health issues. While he does consult a doctor about it, he doesn't get any answers.
- Cosmic Plaything: The world seems to have it out for him, to the point that his death is absolutely inevitable.
- Curtains Match the Window: His hair and eyes are both of a black or dark grey color.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: He lost both his parents in a car accident that also left him badly injured.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Heavily averted. No matter what you have him choose to do, all you're doing is simply picking his poison.
- Eaten Alive: His fate in Makoto's ending.
- Even the Guys Want Him: A few of the men he meets becomes interested in him, and their interest more often than not turns into a dangerous obsession. Though there is a reason behind his unwitting attraction of said men, and not simply just because.
- Forgets to Eat: Though it's an active choice on his part.
- Hates Being Touched: He becomes hostile whenever Tetsuo touches — let alone approach — him, at least at first. Given the fact that he forced himself on him almost every time physical contact is involved, you can't blame Youji for being paranoid.
- Held Back in School: He missed classes too much and has to repeat his second year, though this is justified since he was hospitalized for a long while.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Youji feels this way towards Tetsuo.
- In Spite of a Nail: It doesn't matter which route you take; he almost always ends up dying.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He knows that there's something wrong with his body that goes beyond a simple illness, and for very understandable reasons, wishes that it wasn't the case.
- Last-Name Basis: To both Tetsuo and Zenya. Near the finale, he eventually calls Tetsuo by his first name.
- Laughing Mad: He does this at one point in the story, though he thankfully cools down afterwards.
- Mister Seahorse: One of the first sign that Youji isn't completely normal is when he keeps giving birth to small living lumps of flesh.
- Later on down the line, it's deconstructed, and then properly averted. Youji isn't pregnant as much as he is infested, being a host to the parasites that eventually mature into the seed meat he evacuates from his body, but in the ending where he and Tetsuo become a mated pair, they basically merge into a meat egg that hatches their offspring. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Youji literally oozes blood whenever Tetsuo is concerned.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: His paleness has even been pointed out a few times, though this is most likely due to his Ill Boy status.
- Scars Are Forever: The car accident that killed his parents also left a scar on his chest.
- Sex Slave: Zenya turns him into this in his ending.
- Shrinking Violet: He doesn't belittle himself nor does he easily get shy, but he's normally quiet and reserved. Though there are a few times when he's prone to emotional outbursts.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Tetsuo.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Played with. His father was the original host of the parasite that Youji is currently infested with, and when his father died in an accident, the parasite went in Youji's body. The difference is that the parasite made his father an Osu, while Youji became a Mesu instead.
- Uke: Among the Nitro+CHiRAL protagonists, he's by far the unluckiest one.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: While his death is certain in almost all the endings, the Miracles May ending leaves his fate entirely ambiguous since Tetsuo forgets about him and nothing about Youji's whereabouts is revealed.
Voiced by: Yoshihisa Kawahara
- All of the Other Reindeer: Due to his Healing Factor, Tetsuo always felt isolated from everyone else as he suspected that he wasn't any normal human.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: He's usually quiet and kept, but if you do something to anger him, you better prepare yourself for a beatdown.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: His skin is more of a medium tan, but he still applies for this trope.
- Happily Adopted: Deconstructed. Tetsuo was abandoned by his birth parents and then adopted by a family who physically abused him, to the point where it's implied that social services stepped in to relocate him; his new parents are good, hardworking people who love him as their own and he serves dutifully as their son, but he admits that his past convinced him he wasn't truly human long before he discovered he was right.
- Healing Factor: Due to his status as a perfect Osu, his injuries heal at an accelerated rate. Of course, he can still die if the wound is fatal enough.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: He comes across as impassive and unapproachable, which hides the fact that he can be very kind and considerate (at least when it comes to Youji).
- If It's You, It's Okay: Much like with Youji regarding him, Tetsuo also feels this way towards Youji.
- Last-Name Basis: He refers to Youji by his last name, though he calls him by his name in the finale.
- Love at First Sight: The novel, which narrates the entire story of the game from Tetsuo's point of view, shows that he always felt an attraction to Youji since the beginning.
- My God, What Have I Done?: It's not that obvious in the game, but the novel reveals that he feels guilty for raping Youji, especially since their first few meetings end on that note (and not in the pleasant way).
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown:
- He gives one to Zenya near the end of the game, and would have killed him had Youji not stopped him.
- It turns out that this wasn't the first time, since when Zenya taunted both him and Youji, he snapped and proceeded to beat the shit out of him until the school faculty intervened and stopped the fight.
- The Quiet One: He rarely speaks, and even when he does his sentences are short and straight to the point.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He puts on a pair of glasses whenever he's tutoring Youji.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Played with. The novel reveals that despite his unflappable and seemingly apathetic demeanor, he always felt isolated and longed for a connection with someone.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Youji.
- The Stoic: He always has the same stone-faced expression and talks in the same calm tone. He does become a bit more emotional if Youji is involved.
- Teen Genius: He easily aces subjects like science and mathematics; he's even stated to be the top student in his class.
- Tranquil Fury: Even when enraged, he barely says a word... while he's punching the daylights out of you.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: In the Golden Ending, he loses all his memories after getting shot and nearly drowning.
- Younger Than They Look: Tetsuo is a year younger than Youji but manages to hide his age and work part-time as a bartender.
Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio
- Alliterative Name: Makoto Mita.
- Autocannibalism: In his ending, Makoto begins to eat the flesh off his own arms once there's nothing left of Youji's body to consume.
- Big Eater: He's almost always eating something. This goes so terribly wrong in his ending.
- Corrupt the Cutie: A downplayed and unintentional example. He's a Nice Guy and has nothing to do with the parasites or the cult that worships it, but he's unfortunately sensitive to the pheromones Youji exudes, and said pheromones slowly influence his personality to take a worse, worse turn.
- Curtains Match the Window: Both his hair and eyes have the same light brown color.
- Driven to Suicide: He cuts himself after attacking Youji in a fit of rage, though he thankfully survives.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: Makoto gets these in his ending, hinting that he had permanently gone off the deep end after cannibalizing Youji.
- Hot-Blooded: He can get really energetic at times.
- If I Can't Have You...: His growing obsession with Youji reaches the point that he would rather eat Youji than let Tetsuo have him.
- Keet: Makoto is usually cheerful and friendly. Usually.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The drama CD covering his ending shows him having this reaction after the fact that he devoured Youji sank in.
- Only Friend: To Youji, more or less. Before Tetsuo came along, Makoto is the only one who Youji actively interacts with.
- Put on a Bus: After attacking Youji and attempting to kill himself, he's no longer seen or mentioned again until the finale. Justified in that he's still recovering in the hospital, and at the very least there's a scene where Youji visits him before Makoto is really taken Out of Focus.
- Yandere: Makoto becomes one out of jealousy. He goes as far as threatening Youji with a knife, and in one ending rapes and cannibalizes him.
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa
- Abusive Parents: His father isn't what anyone would call a good influence.
- Ambiguous Disorder: The possibility that Zenya may be bipolar isn't far off.
- And Show It to You: Near the ending, he takes out his intestines after being gutted by Tetsuo, and shows them to Kitani when he arrives. In his insanity, he affectionately calls them his children.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He clearly has a few screws loose, which is exactly why you shouldn't mess with him.
- Cloudcuckoolander: With huge doses of Ax-Crazy.
- Eye Scream: There's a reason why Zenya's right eye is always covered by an eyepatch.
- For Doom the Bell Tolls: He tries to leave school early because the instant the school clock strikes 5PM, the bells ring and play a certain song that causes him a lot of pain.
- Gutted Like a Fish: Tetsuo attacks him like this in retaliation for stabbing Youji. It's also what kills him, albeit not immediately.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: A tragic example. Zenya knows that his body is slowly deteriorating from being force-fed the meat parasites, and utterly despises it. He even outright states that he never wanted any part in the religion his father worships, since he would have lived a normal life otherwise.
- Manchild: He generally acts like this, so as long as he's not in one of his worse moods.
- Mood-Swinger: And not in the good or humorous way. His attitude, along with the tone of his voice, can change from casual and bubbly to downright menacing and violent in the blink of an eye.
- Put Them All Out of My Misery: He is not happy with the fact that he's a "failed" Osu, and near the game's finale, finally loses it and attempts to kill both Youji and Tetsuo out of resentment for them being the "perfect pair".
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His right eye, most likely as a result of the parasites mangling his body from the inside out, is a blood red color.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Due to his volatile mood, he's prone to doing this.
Voiced by: Hideyuki Umezu
- Alliterative Name: Kouhei Kitani.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Kitani's loyalty toward the Okinaga family began with Kunihito saving his life when he found Kitani trying to kill himself. Kunihito picked up him up and began strangling him to force his survival instinct to kick in, then invited him into the yakuza to at least throw his life away productively.
- Face of a Thug: It helps that he previously worked with the yakuza.
- Only Sane Man: He's the one keeping the peace in the Okinaga family, what with Kunihito already halfway to being completely insane, with Zenya not exactly being far behind.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: In the finale, he sets out to kill Youji and Tetsuo after seeing both Kunihito and Zenya dead. Whether or not he succeeds is up to the player.
- Supreme Chef: He does the cooking in the household.
- Undying Loyalty: Kitani's loyalty to the Okinaga family is utterly unshakable, no matter what weird shit he has to cope with as Zenya's ersatz house-husband, and the story often points out that he'll endure anything for their sake. And then subverted in one of Tetsuo and Youji's endings. Kitani has nothing left but the need to avenge the Okinagas' deaths by killing them, but instead, he finds their child and is immediately overcome with a need to care for him.
- Abusive Dad: He's not exactly making Zenya's life easy.
- Ambiguous Disorder: He was previously a stern and sane man, though apparently he was afflicted with both a physical and mental illness that led him to be the religious fanatic he is today. What those illnesses are is never revealed.
- Asshole Victim: No one's really mourning when Zenya kills him near the endgame.
- Big Bad: He's the closest thing to one in the visual novel, since the parasites — while they're the main source of trouble for Youji — aren't actively malicious.
- Evil Old Folks
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Kunihito was once a feared and respected yakuza boss, but now everyone from the yakuza see him as nothing more but a raving madman.
Voiced by: Koji Yusa
- Adjusting Your Glasses: One of his sprites has him doing this, combined with a Scary Shiny Glasses effect.
- Mysterious Backer: The villainous kind; he (along with the group he's working for) is the one aiding Kunihito with his religion.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He helps Youji throughout any troubles he has with school, and occasionally gives him some advice. Though there's a reason behind why he keeps watch over Youji...
- Stalker with a Test Tube
- Boyish Short Hair: Her current hairstyle is almost similar to Youji's.
- Cool Big Sis: She's a Nice Girl with a gentle personality, and is a very loving and supporting figure in Youji's life.
- Girlish Pigtails: She donned the braided type when she was younger.
- Happily Married: This seems to be the case with her and her husband, Yuuya.
- Ill Girl: Much like Youji she's of frail health, though unlike her brother she's lucky enough to not be infested with any parasites.
- Promotion to Parent: She raised Youji after their parents' deaths.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only named female character among the entire cast.
- Strong Family Resemblance: If it wasn't explicitly stated that she's Youji's older sister, it would be easy to mistake them for Half-Identical Twins.