!!!MAY CONTAIN UNMARKED SPOILERS!!!
- 24-Hour Armor: Many of the characters are shown wearing full armour most, or all, of the time.
- Action Girl: Almost every major female character is a combatant.
- Battle Aura: All of the human and faunus characters can create an aura, manifesting it either as a semblance or as magic.
- Battle Couple: Ruby with all of her potential love interests, as well as most of the Beta Couples.
- Badass Gay: Most of the central cast are either gay or bisexual, and all of them are badass.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: The Queen's Guard and Weiss, and to an extent the rest of Ruby's Court, are there to protect Ruby, but she's very capable in her own right.
- Color-Coded Characters: Each of the main characters is associated with one color in particular, which features prominently in their wardrobe and is the color of their name in dialogue. There is some overlap, however.
- Crush Blush: Ruby and all of her potential love interests sport these from time to time.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Many of the main characters have had great tragedy in their pasts that still influence them in the present.
- Downplayed Trope: Many of the notable character traits exhibited by the characters in RWBY are comparatively downplayed in the game, though they are still present.
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroic: None of the main characters wear helmets, even those with full armor.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Ruby is given a pet dog named Zwei, who she and the rest of her Court (except Blake) adore.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Inverted with Ruby, who is a redheaded hero, but also played straight to an extent because three of her potential love interests (Pyrrha, Nora, and Penny) are also redheads.
- Pair the Spares: Anyone Ruby isn't actively pursuing a romance with will form relationships of their own.
- If Ruby romances Weiss, Blake, or Yang, then the remaining two will get together. If none of them are romanced, all three of them will get together.
- Jaune and Pyrrha will get together if neither are romanced. If Pyrrha is romanced, Jaune will have some Ship Tease with Agravaine instead, though the epilogue doesn't indicate whether it goes anywhere in the long run. If Jaune is romanced, Pyrrha and Yang will get together.
- Ren and Nora always stay together, even if they are romanced, but they can also get together with Penny if she is not romanced either.
- Party of Representatives: Invoked with Ruby's Court, because the idea is to include representatives from every plane.
- Plot Armor: Most of the main characters, while they can be caused to leave the Court, are unable to die regardless of your choices, though this can be averted for Jaune and Penny.
The Summer Rose Court
Queen Rubilacxe "Ruby" Rose
The last true-blooded Rose, and the new queen of Vale.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair has gone from its original black with red highlights to a flat-out red.
- Affectionate Nickname: Yang calls her 'little rose' and Nora calls her 'Red Queen.' Crescent Rose also calls her 'little rose,' which is initially patronizing, but becomes increasingly affectionate.
- Alliterative Name: Ruby Rose.
- Bad Dreams: She suffers from nightmares about Grimm attacks, which have gotten more frequent. They turn out to be real.
- Battle Ballgown: She wears a breastplate with a skirt.
- Badass Cape: She has a royal cape.
- Birthmark of Destiny: Her silver eyes denote her Rose blood and her connection to Crescent Rose.
- Blow You Away: Her semblance allows her to control wind.
- Bodyguard Crush: If Yang, Weiss, or Jaune are romanced.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: She is initially unwilling to leave the Xiao Long tribe and return to Beacon to become queen, but she changes her mind after Grimm attack the Xiao Long camp.
- The Chains of Commanding: Ruby is under a lot of pressure from multiple sources over the course of the game, and she definitely feels it.Ruby (narration): What I can feel is the way the crowd's energy changes when Ozpin puts [the crown] on me. Their expectation is heavy, almost crushing.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Ruby is only seventeen at the start of the game, but is crowned queen because she's the only one left who can safely take the throne.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Her romance with Yang is this, since they grew up together starting when Ruby was around ten, although the Not Blood Siblings part makes it slightly more complicated.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: A variation: if Yang's romance is not disabled, she will admit to Ruby that when they were kids, she thought they were supposed to get married one day because of the implications of how her dragons acted toward Ruby. Ruby can say that she thought that too.
- Combat Tentacles: She can create and control stone and steel rose vines using the power of Crescent Rose.
- Commonality Connection: When Ruby meets Nora and Ren, she immediately feels like she knows them, and like they belong together in one way or another, which turns out to be because all three of them are bound to spirits.
- Companion Cube: She is very attached to Little Thorn. She sometimes talks to it, and even refers to it as her child on occasion.Ruby: Little Thorn is a beauty and a treasure! Don't you dare talk about my child that way!
- Cool Crown: The design of her crown is a band of silver roses, with thorns and all.
- Demonic Possession: Crescent Rose takes control of her body during the climax of Act II.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": She insists on being called 'Ruby' instead of her full name.
- Doomed Hometown: She has two, technically, though neither are destroyed completely; Beacon is attacked by Grimm in the prologue, but Q'row manages to get Ruby out in time, and the Xiao Long camp is attacked by Grimm in Act I, causing Ruby to agree to return to Beacon and retake her rightful throne.
- Dream Spying: Her nightmares turn out to be of Grimm attacks that are actually happening somewhere in the plane.
- Dream Walker: During the dance in Act IV, an Alpha Grimm traps everyone present in their own worst memories. Once Crescent Rose shakes Ruby out of it, she then has to enter the dreams of her love interest and Glynda to shake them out of it in turn.
- Embarrassing First Name: She doesn't like her full first name, Rubilacxe, because nobody ever spells it correctly.
- Gray Eyes: She has silver eyes.
- Hot for Teacher: In the secret Glynda route, Ruby can potentially try to act on her crush, though Glynda finds it funnier than anything and rebuffs her.
- I Can't Dance: Throughout Act III, she is very apprehensive about the upcoming ball because she doesn't know how to dance.
- In the Hood: She hides her identity as queen by wearing a hood during Blake's Loyalty Mission.
- The Insomniac: She misses a lot of sleep due to her constant night terrors.
- Interspecies Romance: If she romances Blake or Ren.
- King Incognito: She pulls this while hiding with the Xiao Longs.
- Lady and Knight: She has this dynamic with both Weiss and Jaune, especially if she romances them.
- Last of His Kind: She is the last living true-blooded Rose.
- Literally Falling in Love: If Blake is chosen as Ruby's dance partner, Ruby misjudges the force of her semblance while practicing, and knocks Blake over onto her bed.
- Lost Orphaned Royalty: Her parents were murdered, and she was hidden away in the desert with the Xiao Long tribe for seven years before Glynda found her and brought her back to Beacon.
- Love at First Sight: If Blake is romanced, Ruby will admit that she's loved her since she first saw her her.
- Meaningful Name: Her full name is Rubilacxe, which is Excalibur spelled backwards.
- Named Weapons: Her glaive is named Little Thorn.
- Not Quite Flight: Her ability to control wind lets her boost herself into the air, though she can't control it for very long.
- Oblivious to Love: Many of the rejection scenes involve her not having realized how the other person felt.
- Petal Power: Her semblance is generally accompanied by scattered rose petals. She later gains the ability to use them as offensive weapons.
- The Power of Blood: Her Rose blood is used to open the portals, and is what lets her safely use Crescent Rose's power.Ruby: Why does everything involve my blood???
- Puppet King: Averted, though Blake initially assumes she is this.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Inverted; She has the colour scheme, but she's a heroic figure.
- Rightful King Returns: She returns to Beacon at the beginning of Act II and is crowned queen. Unlike the typical example of this trope, however, Ozpin is only too happy to step aside for her, since he hadn't wanted that position to begin with, and using Crescent Rose without having Rose blood was actively harmful to him.
- Robosexual: She can romance Penny, who is a robot.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: She deliberately invokes this as Queen, not wanting to just be a figurehead.Ruby: I'm not going to be the kind of leader who sits back and lets everyone else put themselves in danger.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: If she sides with Blake against Torchwick during Blake's Loyalty Mission.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Downplayed, especially if she consistently shows that she is trying to fix things for the faunus, but Velvet and Adam definitely hold her responsible for what her family has done in the past, and make sure she knows that they're watching her going forward.Ruby: I didn't do anything. Well, I mean, I didn't, but my family did. So in a way, maybe that means I did it. Or I'm not doing enough to undo it.
- Stranger in a Familiar Land: She feels this way when returning to the Xiao Longs as Queen.
- Weapon of Choice: Her glaive, Little Thorn.
Yang Xiao Long
The daughter of the leader of the Xiao Long tribe, Ruby's foster sister, and leader of the Queen's Guard.
- Amazonian Beauty: She is very muscular, something that she deliberately accentuates.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her preferred type of outfit.Yang: Anything that covers my midriff is a crime against nature itself, Ruby.
- Beware the Silly Ones: She loves puns and is one of the more comedic characters. She also punches Grimm to death. With fire.
- The Big Guy: She's noticeably bigger and stockier than many of the other characters, and fights with her fists.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Her eyebrows are noticeably thick.
- Blood Knight: She really seems to enjoy fighting.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Boobs of Steel: She's one of the most well-endowed characters, and is also one of the toughest and hardest hitters.
- Burning with Anger: When she gets fired up.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Her romance with Ruby is this, though it's complicated by them being Not Blood Siblings.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: A variation: if Yang's romance is not disabled, she will admit to Ruby that when they were kids, she thought they were supposed to get married one day because of the implications of how her dragons acted toward Ruby. Ruby can say that she thought that too.
- Dragon Rider: She has two dragons, named Ember and Celica after her gauntlet weapons from the show.
- Elemental Punch: She enhances her punches with fire.
- The Gadfly: She enjoys trying to get a rise out of people.
- Hot-Blooded: Appropriately enough given her semblance.
- The Lad-ette: She's brash and loud and flirty.
- Large Ham
- My Own Private "I Do": If Yang is romanced, the epilogue states that she and Ruby had two wedding ceremonies: one official royal wedding, and one in the desert overseen by Taiyang.
- Not Blood Siblings: Yang is one of Ruby's potential love interests. Unlike in the source material, though, they aren't blood related at all. Players can subvert what usually comes from this trope, however, by having Ruby say that she's always thought of Yang as her sister, blood relative or not. If so, Yang's romance path becomes wholly platonic, and their scenes together are modified to cut out flirty subtext.
- Playing with Fire: Her semblance allows her to create and control fire.
- Purple Eyes: She has them.
- Purple Is Powerful: Her eyes are purple, and she's also a very dangerous combatant.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When she gets fired up, her eyes turn red.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: She wears a scarf, and is a powerful fighter.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Her top doesn't cover her arms, showing off her muscles.
- Wreathed in Flames: When she gets really fired up in battle.Ruby (narration): Finding Yang is easy enough, the only pillar of flame in the darkness.
A faunus who lives in the Southern Forest and works closely with those in the Menagerie.
- Alliterative Name: Blake Belladonna.
- Animal Eyes: She has cat eyes.
- Badass Bookworm: She is most frequently found in the library, and is deadly in a fight.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her breastplate leaves her midriff bared.
- Casting a Shadow: Her semblance allows her to disappear into shadows.
- Cat Girl: As a cat faunus, she is this.
- Cat Ninja: She's a cat faunus, and her semblance allows her to disappear into shadow.
- Deadpan Snarker: She is the most frequent example.
- Dual Wielding: In addition to her chain scythe, she has two swords which she dual-wields.
- Expressive Ears: Her cat ears reflect her emotional state.
- Facial Markings: She has purple markings around her eyes.
- Innate Night Vision: She has this, as a faunus, which comes in handy for scouting ahead in the chimera nest in Spiritus Bellatorum.
- Interspecies Romance: Her romances with Ruby, Weiss, and/or Yang, since she is a faunus and they are not.
- Like Brother and Sister: Her relationship with Velvet and Adam.
- Little Bit Beastly: She looks mostly human, but has cat ears, cat eyes, claws, and a tail.
- Love at First Sight: If romanced, Blake will accidentally let slip that all she could think about when she met Ruby was how cute she was, and how much she wanted to kiss her.
- Named Weapons: Her two swords are named Gambol and Shroud.
- Parental Substitute: Fang was like a mother to her and the other faunus in the Menagerie.
- Pointy Ears: Her non-cat ears are pointed.
- Race Lift: She is light-skinned in the original show, but is depicted as dark-skinned in the game.
- Refusal of the Call: She was supposed to be Fang's successor, but instead she ran away.
- Science Hero: She studies the Grimm with Oobleck.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: She frequently appears seemingly out of nowhere behind Ruby.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: She has golden cat eyes.
- Weapon of Choice: She uses a chain scythe and two swords named Gambol and Shroud.
- Wrong Assumption: She has a tendency to make incorrect assumptions about Ruby, like that she is a Puppet Queen, or that she only wants to marry her for political reasons.
Ser Weiss Schnee
A knight of Michglas, and Knight Commander of the Knights Auffallend.
- Badass Longcoat: She wears a long coat over her armor.
- Barrier Warrior: She can create magical barriers, both in and out of combat.
- Blue Blood: Her family is nobility in Michglas.
- Brutal Honesty: Like many people from Michglas, she prefers this over deceptive politeness.
- The Champion: To Ruby, especially after her Loyalty Mission.
- Consummate Professional: She tries her best to maintain this after joining the Court, and is often caught off guard by how informal people in Vale are compared to Michglas.
- Cuteness Proximity: She suffers from this while around Zwei.
- Declaration of Protection: She swears an oath to be Ruby's knight alone during her Loyalty Mission.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Downplayed compared to the original show, but still there.
- The Exile: She is exiled from Michglas after she loses the trial by combat against the Knight.
- A Father to His Men: She is very loyal to her Knights Auffallend, to the point of being willing to fight a trial by combat, and even be exiled, in place of Ser Lancelynn.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: She has a scar over her left eye that she got during her trial by combat against the Knight.
- I Kiss Your Hand: She does this to Ruby on a number of occasions during her romance, which is appropriate given her role as a Knight in Shining Armor.
- Innocent Bigot: Unlike the full-blown Fantastic Racism she exhibited in the original show, here her initial take on Blake is colored by her unfamiliarity with faunus. She gets past it fairly quickly, however, and they become good friends.
- Instant Runes: Her magic uses these.
- Insult of Endearment: She calls Yang 'sand gnat,' with gradually increasing fondness.
- Knight in Shining Armor: As a knight of Michglas, she fills this role.
- Lady and Knight: She has this dynamic with Ruby, especially if romanced.
- Magic Knight: Like all knights of Michglas, she is this.
- Magic Music: Her magic is powered by song.
- Marry for Love: When Winter suggested that Weiss marry Ruby to bring her into the family so that they could talk about Myrtenaster, Weiss was initially outraged because she only wanted to marry for love. When Winter then commented that in that case Weiss must not love Ruby, Weiss nearly threw her drink in her face, making her realize that she does actually love Ruby.
- Mystical White Hair: She has white hair and is a Magic Knight.
- Not So Above It All: When Ruby receives Zwei, Weiss breaks composure out of excitement.
- Secret Stab Wound: When Weiss is poisoned by the Grimm causing the sickness, she initially pretends she's fine.
- Ship Tease: Weiss is very protective of Lancelynn, going so far as to insist on taking their punishment upon herself, and Yang speculates that she may have a crush on them because she seemed to be deliberately sabotaging Yang's attempts to get to know them.
- Tongue-Tied: Myrtenaster forcibly keeps Weiss from saying anything about her.
- Weapon of Choice: She uses a rapier.
Captain Pyrrha Nikos
A former priestess of Auctoritas, and a captain from one side of the civil war in Spiritus Bellatorum.
- Apologizes a Lot: Downplayed compared to the show, but she does tend to apologize often.
- Bridal Carry: She carries Ruby out of Spiritus Bellatorum this way.
- Claustrophobia: Being forced to live in underground tunnels for an extended period of time caused her to develop a fear of being trapped in enclosed, underground spaces. Because of this, she takes to sleeping on top of the tallest tower of the castle so that she can see the sky at night, and becomes very agitated during her Loyalty Mission when she and Ruby become trapped in the underground laboratory.
- Conflicting Loyalty: The crux of her Loyalty Mission is that she is torn between her loyalty to Ruby and the Summer Rose Court, and the priesthood of Auctoritas. She is so torn, in fact, that she is ultimately unable to make the decision herself, and Ruby has to decide for her whether she'll stay with the Court or return to being a priestess.
- Give Me a Sword: When the Alpha Grimm attacks in Spiritus Bellatorum, Pyrrha's unenchanted spear can't pierce its hide. She asks Ruby to give her a weapon, and she can be given Ruby's own glaive, or Penny's sword if Penny has been recruited. If Ruby refuses, Pyrrha will not join the Court later on.
- Holding Hands: When Pyrrha and Ruby get trapped in the underground laboratory and have to go through the tunnels to escape, Pyrrha holds Ruby's hand as an anchor to help with her own claustrophobia.
- Magically Inept Fighter: She is from Spiritus Bellatorum, and therefore not only can she not use magic, but her very proximity to someone can dampen their magic to an extent. This changes after she unlocks her semblance, however.
- Magnetism Manipulation: Her semblance, once unlocked, allows her to control polarity.
- The Magnificent: "Nikos" roughly translates to "the Victorious."
- Meaningful Name: Her last name, Nikos, is actually a title given to those who frequently triumph in battle. Following the civil war and the Chimera attacks, she's the only person with that title who's still alive.
- One Head Taller: With Ruby, if romanced.
- Power Nullifier: Since she is from Spiritus Bellatorum, which has no magic, just being near her can dampen others' magic or semblances.
- Religious Bruiser: She was once a lay sister of Auctoritas, and still keeps her faith even though she left the temple to become a soldier.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair falls to at least her thighs.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: She has green eyes and red hair and becomes part of Ruby's Court, as well as being a potential love interest.
- Statuesque Stunner: She is the tallest female character in the game, at around the same height as Jaune.
- Survivor Guilt: Many of her fellow soldiers died while she kept surviving against all odds. Sometimes she feels as if she was supposed to die as well.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: She stays behind in Spiritus Bellatorum to face the Alpha Grimm, and refuses aid in that mission initially, because she feels that it's her responsibility.
- Weapon of Choice: She wields a spear and shield.
Ser Jaune Arc
A member of the Queen's Guard who is descended from a family that traditionally serves the Rose throne.
- Aborted Declaration of Love: If Ruby dances with Jaune but doesn't indicate romantic interest in him, he'll confess to thinking of her as more than a friend... a best friend!
- Ancestral Weapon: His Loyalty Mission revolves around retrieving Prydwyn, the Arc family shield.
- Badass Cape: He wears a cloak over his right side that bears his family's heraldry.
- Boogie Knights: He wears ceremonial armor to the dance in Act IV.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: His eyebrows are quite bushy.
- Combat Medic: His semblance allows him to heal himself and others, though he is primarily a fighter.
- Dork Knight: He shows some shades of this, though it's less pronounced than in the original show.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: His semblance is healing, and he seems to be the most prone to receiving serious injury, including suffering what would be a mortal wound on anyone else during his Loyalty Mission.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Healing Factor: His semblance, once unlocked, allows him to heal himself.
- Healing Hands: His semblance also allows him to heal others.
- Heroic Lineage: His family has traditionally served the Rose rulers for many generations because of an ancestor who married a Rose.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Though he's not technically a knight until midway through Act IV.
- Lady and Knight: His romance with Ruby has some shades of this, though he's not technically a knight until near the end.
- Magically Inept Fighter: Before he unlocks his semblance, he is this.
- Named Weapons: His ancestral family shield is named Prydwyn.
- One Head Taller: With Ruby, if romanced.
- Ship Tease: He has some with Agravaine, especially if Ruby and Pyrrha get together.
- Sneaky Departure: If you refuse his mission to retrieve Prydwyn, he sneaks away from the castle to attempt it alone.
- The Strategist: Being this is what allowed him to survive and thrive as a guard while hiding the fact that he didn't know how to use his aura.
- Weapon of Choice: He wields a sword and shield.
- Commonality Connection: Nora, Ren, and Ruby are all bound to spirits, and it brings them together.
- Interspecies Romance: Since Ren is a faunus, his and Nora's romance is this, as well as if Ruby romances them.
- Opposites Attract: Nora is energetic, hot-headed, and loud, while Ren is calm, reserved, and quiet.
- Polyamory: Nora and Ren are a joint love interest for Ruby. They can also get together with Penny.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni
- Robosexual: It's possible for them to end up together with Penny.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl
Interim chief of the Skuta Bresta refugees in Hépíng, bound to Magnhild.
- Anger Born of Worry: Nora and Ren fight in Act III because Nora is worried that Ren's plan to remove the fragment of Magnhild from himself will cause his death.
- Big Eater: She loves to eat, and eats a lot.
- The Big Guy: She's big and strong and fights with a warhammer.
- Blood Knight: She really likes fighting, which sometimes is at odds with her relationship with the monks in Hépíng.
- Blush Sticker: She has these.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Cute Bruiser: Though the bruiser part is more obvious at at glance than this trope usually implies.
- Dynamic Entry: She charges through Lán Zhī Huā on the back of an Ursa, while pulverizing it with her hammer, and then disintegrates it with her semblance.
- Fiery Redhead
- Genki Girl: She's very energetic almost all of the time.
- Large Ham: She definitely likes to ham it up.
- Love Before First Sight: Magnhild told Nora that she would someday meet the wielder of Crescent Rose, who would be a Red Queen, and that Nora would, without fail, kneel before her, and she would shatter everything Nora knew. Nora and Ren initially interpreted this negatively, but Nora realizes when she actually meets Ruby that it will be more of a willful shattering.
- Pelts of the Barbarian: She has a fur collar and fur-lined gloves.
- Shock and Awe: Her semblance allows her to create and control lightning.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Although her eyes are closer to cyan, she still qualifies, as not only a member of Ruby's Court but also another person bound to a spirit.
- Skeletons in the Coat Closet: She has a three-horned skull for a belt buckle.
- Stout Strength
- Weapon of Choice: She uses a warhammer.
A dragon monk from Hépíng whose mother is bound to Lán Zhī Huā.
- Dual Wielding: He fights with two swords.
- Duck Season, Rabbit Season: He pulls this on Nora in Act IV if Ruby romances them, claiming that Nora got jealous when she learned Ren liked Ruby.
- Little Bit Beastly: Like his mother, he's a faunus, though the only visual indication at a glance is his pink eyes.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: His hair falls past his waist.
- Multicolored Hair: His hair is primarily black, but has what looks like a pink lightning bolt on part of it. This is indicated to be a physical reflection of the fragment of Magnhild that resides inside him.
- One Head Taller: With Ruby, if romanced.
- Petal Power: His semblance lets him control lotus petals as offensive weapons.
- Supreme Chef: He is shown to be a very good cook, and Ruby jokingly threatens to invite him to join her Court just because of that.Ruby: Ren, if you aren't careful, I might ask you to be my Court member just so you can cook for me every day.
- The Quiet One: Downplayed compared to the original show, but he's still not overly talkative.
- Technicolor Eyes: He has pink eyes.
Pendrake "Penny" Polendina
An automaton who was designed by James Rosewood to be a companion for his niece, Queen Ediubeág. Penny was eventually intended to be a Puppet Queen, and therefore was built with an artificial connection to Crescent Rose.
- Alliterative Name: Penny Polendina.
- Badass Adorable
- Because You Were Nice to Me: She is very protective of Ruby because she freed her from her imprisonment below the castle. The epilogue indicates that this extended past Ruby's own death:Even after Ruby's passing, [Penny] continued to watch over her successors, to protect the memory of the girl who saved her from the dark.
- Become a Real Boy: Although she did have some personality prior to Ediubeág reviving her, that event caused her to develop an aura and achieve true sentience.
- Combat Tentacles: One of her primary weapons is steel and stone rose vines that she can control.
- Demonic Possession: During her Loyalty Mission, Crescent Rose takes control of her body to determine what is wrong with her.
- Girl in a Box: She has been trapped for decades in a box inside a hidden room within a hidden room within a hidden room under the castle when Ruby finds her.
- Glowing Mechanical Eyes: Her eyes glow bright green. They turn red when Crescent Rose inhabits her body during her Loyalty Mission.
- Idiot Hair: She has a prominent cowlick that always stands up.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: When Ruby finds her, she is locked in a box that has also been run through with a sword.
- MayflyDecember Friendship: As a robot, she has an indefinite lifespan, and will outlive all of her friends among the main characters.
- MayflyDecember Romance: Her romance with Ruby — or Ren and Nora — is this, since she is a functionally immortal robot.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Immediately after waking up, she's genuinely clueless about the world. Her memories return as the game goes on, but she continues to occasionally feign ignorance as a prank.
- Puppet King: Her father's ultimate plan was to have her be this.
- Robot Girl: She looks and feels remarkably human, but it's still visually apparent that she's a robot. She's also considerably heavier than one would think to look at her because she's made of metal.
- Secret Character: Played with; while the player only has to make a couple of choices in order to recruit her, in-story she's locked behind three separate secret doors. She was also deliberately left out from all promotional material to keep both her existence and her status as a love interest secret, at least at first.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Not only does she become a member of Ruby's Court and a potential love interest, but she also has a connection to Crescent Rose.
- Snot Bubble: Her sleeping sprite has one.
- Stepford Smiler: She seems relentlessly cheerful most of the time, but she'll sometimes let her guard down and show her sadness about what happened to both her father and Ediubeág, as well as her internal conflicts over her intended purpose.
- Tron Lines: She has glowing green patterns on her neck, arms, and sides. They turn red when Crescent Rose is inhabiting her body during her Loyalty Mission.
- Weapon for Intimidation: She carries a sword which she had been impaled with on her back, but doesn't actually use it in combat.
- Youthful Freckles: As a robot, hers are artificial and purely cosmetic, and were likely given to her to emphasize her innocence as the young Ediubeág's companion, and as an intended Puppet Queen.
Advisors and Former Members
Lady Glynda Goodwitch
A mage of the Curia, and acting Court Mage to the Summer Rose Court.
- Alliterative Name: Glynda Goodwitch.
- Anger Born of Worry: On multiple occasions, Glynda tries to mask her worry for Ozpin with abrasiveness.Glynda: I won't mourn you if you manage to pass away through sheer stupidity.
Ozpin: Hearing your gentle voice whisper such words of encouragement gives me strength to face the day, my Lady.
- Badass Cape: She wears a purple-lined black cape.
- Badass Teacher: She teaches Ruby, and later also Jaune and Pyrrha, how to control their semblances, and is a very powerful magic-user.
- Barrier Warrior: Creating magical barriers is among her abilities.
- Combat Medic: She primarily uses offensive magic, but can also heal.
- Court Mage: She fills this role, but "only by the barest of technicalities." The previous court mage, who died during the same attack that killed Ruby's parents, was her mentor, so she does his job out of respect for him, and because of her friendship with Ozpin.
- Gentle Touch vs. Firm Hand: The firm hand to Ozpin's gentle touch.
- Healing Hands: She can use healing magic.
- Hidden Depths: Ruby is surprised to discover during preparations for the dance that Glynda both knows and cares about royal fashion.
- Lady of Black Magic: She primarily uses offensive magic.
- Last-Name Basis: She almost always calls Ruby by her last name.
- Purple Is Powerful: Her magic is purple, and she wears a purple-lined cape. She's also a very powerful magic user.
- Specs of Awesome
- Ship Tease: If Weiss is romanced, Glynda will dance with Lancelynn at the ball in Act IV.
- Stacy's Mom: In her hidden route, it's possible for Ruby to reveal that she has a crush on her.
- Supernatural Is Purple: Her magic effects are purple.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ozpin.
- Weapon of Choice: She uses a wand.
- White Mage: She also has healing spells.
A trusted advisor of Ruby's parents, who acted as regent while Glynda searched for Ruby, despite the dangers faced by someone not of the Rose bloodline sitting on the throne.
- Badass Teacher: He, along with Glynda, helps to teach Ruby about being queen and controlling Crescent Rose.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: He has quite thick eyebrows.
- Classy Cane: His doubles as a Sword Cane.
- Gentle Touch vs. Firm Hand: The gentle touch to Glynda's firm hand.
- No Name Given: It's never revealed what his full name is.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His eyes turn red when he uses the power of Crescent Rose.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: He wears a scarf, and is unexpectedly deadly with his cane sword.
- Specs of Awesome
- The Usurper: What Crescent Rose sees Ozpin as, since he is not of the Rose bloodline, and was forced by circumstance to sit on the throne despite that.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Glynda.
- Weapon of Choice: He has a sword hidden in his cane.
Ruby's uncle, who spirited her away to the Xiao Long tribe after her parents were killed.
- Barrier Maiden: Inverted; He is the anchor allowing Luna Fracta to make portals for the Grimm to use.
- The Lost Lenore: He was Ozpin's lover and a very close friend of Glynda's, and his disappearance and presumed death causes both of them great suffering.
- Pūnct'uatìon Sh'akër: An apostrophe was added to his name that wasn't there in the original show.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has red eyes while being used as an in-between for Luna Fracta.
- Walking Spoiler
Taiyang Xiao LongYang's father, and leader of the Xiao Long tribe.
The GrimmThe forces of darkness.
- Always Chaotic Evil
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Grimm hides are too tough for normal, unenchanted weapons to penetrate. Magical attacks, however, are extremely effective.
- Bears Are Bad News: The ursa-type Grimm.
- The Darkness Gazes Back: When Ruby is trapped in the void of Luna Fracta's plane, she is at one point surrounded by Grimm which she can only see by their glowing red eyes.
- Desecrating the Dead: Grimm have moved into Jaune's family's ancestral tomb when he returns there during his Loyalty Mission, and have made their nests out of his ancestors' bones.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The Grimm have the potential to wipe out all life if not stopped.
- Enemy Summoner: The Alpha Grimm can summon more Grimm from a black pitch-like substance that they bleed.
- Full-Boar Action: The boarbatusk-type Grimm.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: They have them.
- Hive Queen: The Alpha Grimm in Spiritus Bellatorum functions as this, controlling the chimeras.
- The Horde: They hunt in packs.
- Mystical Plague: The Grimm cause one in Act III.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over
- Spike Shooter: The Grimm that causes the sickness shoots poisoned quills from its back.
The ChimeraHybrid creatures created in Spiritus Bellatorum. They were eventually modified using Grimm blood, which caused them to be controlled by the Alpha Grimm whose blood was used.
The castle librarian.
The Minister of Trade in Vale.
- Bad Boss: He doesn't treat his workers very well.
- Carpet of Virility: His chest hair is emphasized by his low-cut shirt, and is given a close-up shot during his introduction.
- Cigar Chomper: He always has a cigar, and even is shown blowing its smoke from his nose when angry.
- Classy Cane: He has one.
- Evil Redhead
- Nice Hat: He has a hat with some impressive plumage.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He's done his best to influence the humans in Beacon into Fantastic Racism against the faunus, and even tries to burn down a faunus school during Blake's Loyalty Mission.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Basically his entire characterization.
- Smug Snake: He never once considers that he won't get away with anything he wants to.
Velvet ScarlatinaA faunus seamstress and schoolteacher who is a friend of Blake's.
- Adaptational Jerkass: She's a lot more blunt and aggressive than in the original show.
- Badass Teacher: She is very protective of her students.
- The Faceless: Her appearance is never shown.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: She bluntly tells Ruby at the dance that if Ruby ever hurts Blake, she'll kill her.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Blake and Adam.
- Little Bit Beastly: Although she doesn't have a sprite in the game, and so her exact appearance is unknown, she is a rabbit faunus, and based on her appearance in RWBY she has rabbit ears.
- Parental Substitute: Fang was one for her and the others in the Menagerie.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She is described as having red eyes, particularly when she's threatening Ruby during the dance in Act IV.
A faunus from the Southern Forest who works with Blake.
- Adaptational Nice Guy: While not exactly nice, he's a far cry from his characterization in the show as Blake's villainous and abusive ex.
- Cool Mask: He wears a mask that resembles — and is probably made from — the white bone of a Grimm.
- Horned Humanoid: He has horns.
- Like Brother and Sister: Unlike in the show, where Adam is Blake's abusive ex-boyfriend, here he is like a brother to her. He also has this relationship with Velvet.
- Little Bit Beastly: He has horns, but otherwise looks near-human.
- Parental Substitute: Fang was one for him and the others in the Menagerie.
Queen Ediubeág RoseAn ancestor of Ruby's who was friends with Penny.
- Death Seeker: It's implied that she may have been this, since it's discovered that she could have severed her aura's connection with Penny long before she eventually died from it.
- Ill Girl: Her health deteriorated over time as a result of using her aura to revive Penny and never severing the connection. Penny also indicates that she had a weak constitution to begin with.
- Posthumous Character: She has been dead for generations by the time Ruby finds her body.
- The Tragic Rose: She was a Rose monarch who used her own aura to revive Penny, and slowly wasted away because she never severed the connection.
- Walking Spoiler: Knowing her full story spoils a lot of Penny's backstory.
Jonathan Rosewood / James IronwoodEdiubeág's uncle, who created Penny.
A guard with the delegation from the Kata faunus tribe.
In GeneralThe knights under Weiss' command.
- Canon Foreigner: They are not from the original show.
- The Exile: They voluntarily follow Weiss and Lancelynn in their exile from Michglas.
- The Faceless: Lancelynn and Agravaine are the only ones who have sprites.
- Magic Knight: Like all knights of Michglas, they are this.
- Rainbow Motif: Each of them is associated with one of the colors of the rainbow.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: They are named after the Knights of the Round.
Ser Lancelynn the Blue
A commoner who pretended to be a noble so that they could become a knight of Michglas.
- The Exile: They are exiled from Michglas for pretending to be a noble, even after Weiss tries to take their punishment upon herself instead.
- Fake Aristocrat: They were originally a shepherd, but pretended to be a noble so that they could become a knight.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: They pretended to be a noble so that they could become a knight to protect people, but when the lie is exposed they are exiled for it.
- Ship Tease: If Weiss is romanced, Lancelynn will dance with Glynda at the ball in Act IV. It's also speculated by Yang that Weiss might have a crush on them.
Ser Agravaine the Violet
The Demolitions Expert of the team.
- Badass Bandolier: He wears two bandoliers crossed over his chest.
- Eyepatch of Power: He has an eyepatch over one eye, probably the result of an explosive mishap.
- Ship Tease: He has some with Jaune, especially if Ruby and Pyrrha get together.
- Throw Down the Bomblet: He specializes in explosives, and is very enthusiastic about experimenting with them, though not quite to the degree of a Mad Bomber.Weiss: Hmmph. Looks like Agravaine will have an excuse to test out some of his bombs.
Ruby: Is that safe?
Weiss: When has that ever stopped him?
Ser Safir the IndigoWeiss' second in command.
- Number Two: She is Weiss' second in command.
Ser Bedwyr the ScarletDescribed by Yang as "the beanpole." He is Gwaine's lover.
Ser Gwaine the EmeraldBedwyr's lover.
- Badass Adorable: Yang describes her as being adorable, and she's a knight of Michglas.
- Incompatible Orientation: She's straight, and also in a relationship, much to Yang's disappointment.
Ser Drystan the CitrineDescribed by Yang as "a younger [Master] Port, but like, he's ginger."
- The Storyteller: He likes telling stories about Weiss' time as a squire, to her chagrin.
Ser Galeas the GoldDescribed by Yang as "talkative. Bit of a magpie. [...] Drinks like a demon."
- Large Ham: She likes to announce her name a lot.
Ren's mother, who is bound to Lán Zhī Huā.
The leader of one side of the civil war in Spiritus Bellatorum.
- Blue and Orange Morality: The spirits that are bound to the portals.Lin: They aren't held to the same notions of morality that you or I subscribe to.
- Cool Gate: The portals are this.
- Deep Sleep: They have been sleeping for a long time.
- Mythology Gag: Many of them are named after the weapons of characters from the original show.
- Crescent Rose is the name of Ruby's scythe/sniper rifle.
- Myrtenaster is the name of Weiss' rapier.
- Magnhild is the name of Nora's hammer/grenade launcher.
- Our Spirits Are Different
- Sealed Cast in a Multipack: They are all initially asleep, and have been for so long that they've been forgotten. Most of them awaken over the course of the game.
The spirit bound to the Rose bloodline in Vale. Currently bound to Ruby Rose.
- Big Good: Although her actions aren't always so good, she ultimately does want to protect the planes, and serves as the closest direct counterpoint to Big Bad Luna Fracta.
- Demonic Possession: She possesses Ruby during the climax of Act II, and inhabits Penny's body during Penny's Loyalty Mission.
- Genius Loci: Crescent Rose is bound to the Rose castle, and can control the structure itself to a degree.
- Heroic Sacrifice: During the climax of Act IV, Crescent Rose will allow herself to be shattered in order for Ruby to escape Luna Fracta's plane, and then will return to the portals as pure energy, unless Ruby stops her and binds Crescent Rose directly to herself.
- Morality Chain: Ruby serves as this for her, as did the Rose rulers who came before Ruby.
- Psychic Link: She has one with Ruby and Penny.
- Rip Van Winkle: When she awakens, she discovers a vastly different Vale, with Ruby as the only remaining Rose she can connect to.
- Sealed Good in a Can: She had been sleeping for generations, and only wakes up for Ruby during the climax of Act II.
- Shipper on Deck: Of Ruby's potential love interests, Crescent Rose is the most outright approving of Jaune, due to his family's traditional alliance with the Rose family.
- Tentacle Rope: Her main offensive power that isn't channeled through Ruby is controlling steel and stone rose vines, which she uses to bind in place whoever is with Ruby after taking control of her during the climax of Act II.
- Tracking Spell: Ruby can use Crescent Rose's power to tap into the ley lines that cross the plane to help her "feel" where people are.
The spirit who powers the portal to Michglas, who is split in two. Currently bound to Weiss and Winter Schnee.
Lán Zhī Huā
The spirit who powers the portal to Hépíng. Currently bound to Lie Lin.
The spirit who powers the portal to Spiritus Bellatorum.
The spirit who powers the portal to Skuta Bresta, which is broken and unusable. Currently bound to Nora Valkyrie, among others.
- Our Dragons Are Different: On the occasions when she takes a form separate from Nora, she is described as "a dragon made of wooden scales."
Luna Fracta the Betrayer
The spirit whose betrayal resulted in the planes fracturing. Her portal is also known as the Scar because it is permanently broken and unusable.
- Anti-Climax Boss: For most of the game she's built up to be a very dangerous threat, and to be fair her Grimm certainly are, but she has next to no power in her own plane, so Ruby's final confrontation with her is over very quickly.
- Big Bad: She is the one controlling the Grimm, and she serves as the Final Boss.
- Non-Action Big Bad: She uses the Grimm to do her dirty work, and when Ruby finally confronts her directly, she's so weak that she's overpowered very easily.
- Walking Spoiler