Characters that appeared in Moyoco Anno's Sugar Sugar Rune.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Chocolat and Vanilla's fascination with Pierre.
- Disappeared Dad: Neither Chocolat nor Vanilla's fathers are even mentioned in the anime, although the identity of Chocolat's father is revealed in the manga.
- Familiar: Chocolat has Duke the Frog and Vanilla has Blanca the Mouse.
- Protagonist Title: In other regions, the series is simply called "Chocolat and Vanilla".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Chocolat's Red to Vanilla's Blue.
- Really 700 Years Old: Occasionally implied.
- Shout-Out: To Meg and Non from Majokko Meg-chan, down to the heart and diamond pendants.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: A defining trait of their character dynamic, although Chocolat's tomboyishness is in question. She's tough and likes sports, but when she's not in school uniform she's usually wearing pink and is just as likely to get excited about cute clothes as Vanilla is.
Chocolat Meilleur / Chocolat Kato
Voiced by: Marika Matsumoto (Japanese)
- Anime Hair: She sports some impressively weird hairstyles over the course of the series.
- Dating Catwoman: Her relationship with Pierre.
- Fiery Redhead: A perfect example of the trope.
- Generation Xerox: She and her mother both fell in love with the same kind of people, cold, stoic, broody ogre guys. Chocolat's dad and Pierre even look similar.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Is her hair red, auburn, or brown? This is thankfully averted in the anime.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Part of why she's obsessed with capturing Pierre's heart is because he's so hard to get.
- Lethal Chef: Apparently, although we never see any evidence of it.
- Only Friend: As little kids, she befriended Vanilla when the other kids in the Magical World saw her as an annoying weakling.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Her mother's diary.
- Tsundere: Type A towards Pierre and her classmates. Her short temper and aggressive nature make her unpopular in the human world, but when she gives the human boys chocolate on Valentine's Day, they think that both sides of Chocolat are nice- the tsuntsun side, and the deredere side. She initially treats Pierre harshly and coldly, but by the end of the anime, she is no longer tsuntsun towards him.
Vanilla Mieux / Vanilla Aisu
Voiced by: Juri Ihata (Japanese)
- Abdicate the Throne: Vanilla wins the Queen selection in the anime and the manga, but gives up the throne in the former.
- Break Them by Talking: Pierre was able to convince Vanilla to become his Ogre Princess by picking at her insecurities.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her cute clumsiness is part of why the boys all go nuts for her.
- Dude Magnet: Vanilla easily gets way more hearts than Chocolat due to boys at their school finding her Shrinking Violet personality so endearing.
- Evil Costume Switch: She wears a slinky dark purple dress when she becomes the Ogre Princess. She also starts favoring a black feather boa.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: She is the princess of the magical world and is associated with the color purple. She plays the trope even straighter when she becomes Queen in the manga.
- The High Queen: Becomes the Queen of the magical world at the end of the series. Averted with the anime adaptation, where Chocolat becomes the Queen instead.
- Lonely at the Top: Vanille's status as princess combined with her introverted personality made her very lonely as a child.
- Light Feminine Dark Feminine: The Light Feminine to Chocolat's Dark Feminine.
- Princess Curls: Her hair is already a little curly, but it gets even curlier after the time skip in the manga.
- Sweet Tooth: Near the end of Episode 1, she's seen eating a bag of marshmallows along side with Chocolat, who's eating a box of chocolate.
- True Blue Femininity: She's usually wearing powder blue with her casual clothes.
- The Unfavorite: She grows to feel this way about the Queen competition, thinking that everyone including her own mother would prefer that Chocolat won the contest.
Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese)
- Alliterative Name: Rockin' Robin.
- The Charmer: Robin is very good at collecting pink, red, and purple hearts from women.
Voiced by: Hiroki Konishi (Japanese)
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Chocolat even remarks on how cute he looks in a skirt.
- Beauty Is Bad: He's the prettiest boy in school, is mooned over by tons of girls, and even has his own fanclub. He's also a heartless jerk.
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Was childhood friends with Chocolat before he got kidnapped and turned into the Prince of Ogres.
- Generation Xerox: He looks exactly like his ancestor, the Ice Prince. Subverted when we find out that ogres stole him to become their prince, and thus the resemblance is a coincidence.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At first his "heart of gold" moments are faked, but later on he starts to reveal a genuine heart of gold. Literally, since Chocolat discovers that he has another, normal heart alongside his corrupted, noir heart.
- Making a Splash: Pierre uses ice magic most prominently, which is water-based magic.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's quite good at manipulating girls' emotions in order to milk noir hearts out of them.
- Meaningful Name: His first name means "stone" (as in "heart of stone") and his last name, "Tempete du Neige," means "snow storm."
- Motif: He's constantly associated with ice and coldness. When Chocolat first meets him, she even notices that his hand feels chilly, and at school he eats a special diet that consists entirely of cold foods.
- Right-Hand Cat: His familiar is a black cat named Cernunnos, who later turns out to be more than she seems.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Starts off as one but turns into a tsundere towards Chocolat.
- Tsundere: He's a mix of tsundere and kuudere towards Chocolat.
- Walking Wasteland: In the magical world, his noir power is strong enough that it saps the energy of any living thing that gets near him. Once he and Chocolat team up, this becomes a problem.
- Younger Than They Look: He's 14, but looks like an adult man. Whether this is intentional or due to Artistic Age is unknown.
Voiced by: Ryo Naitou (Japanese)Pierre's servant both in the anime and manga. Later in the manga, he is forced by Alchimie to help Alchimie steal Pierre's Noir. Has the ability to predict the weather.
Duke / Poivre
Voiced by: Yuuichi Yasoda (Japanese)
- Baleful Polymorph: Once disguised himself as a familiar when trying to escape execution. It worked a little too well and he ended up turning to a real familiar instead.
- Verbal Tic: "Gero" or "ribbit."
Blanca / Libby
Voiced by: Chisa Yokoyama (Japanese)
Voiced by: Sumi Shimamoto (Japanese)
Cinnamon Meilleure / Cernunnos
Voiced by: Sakiko Uran (Japanese)
- Cat Stereotype: Fittingly for such a mysterious character, her cat form is black.
- Cats Are Magic: She seems to have the strongest magic of the three familiars we meet.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Cernunnos is introduced early on as Pierre's familiar who just hangs around in the background of his scenes and never says anything.