The first and default character your receive in game. He is a graffiti artist who always gets in trouble with inspector. Confident and charming, restless and reckless.
Jake has two alternate outfits: Dark (which is free) and Star outfit (costs 30 keys).
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has pronouncedly massive eyebrows, which are especially fuzzy in the animated series.
- Cool Shades: In his Dark Outfit, he is accompanied with a pretty sassy pair of shades.
- Curtains Match the Window: From what we can see in game and the Animation, Jakes hair is the same brown color as his eyes.
- In the Hood: Has his hoodie on all the time.
- The Leader: The official website described him "leader and spirit" of the Subway Surfers, as he is the first ever playable character and the pioneer of the whole graffiti-on-train thing.
- Nice Hat: Always wears a red cap with "Sub Surf" on it, regardless of what outfit he is in.
- Our Zombies Are Different: As Zombie Jake.
Unlockable By Character Tokens
An intelligent blonde girl who strives for perfection and the next, easiest character to be unlocked. A good friend, but not a good follower.
Tricky is obtain by gaining three of her hats. She has two alternate outfits: the Camo Outfit (costs 25 keys) and the Heart Outfit (costs 40 keys)
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a short tank top that reveals her flat belly and navel in any outfit.
- Cool Shades: In her Camo Outfit.
- The Cutie: Especially In her Elf and Heart Outfit.
- Girlish Pigtails: She styles her hair into 2 pigtails.
- Hartman Hips: Despite her age, she has very prominent hips.
- Meganekko: Wears a pair of black-squared nerdy glasses in her default skin to emphasize her intelligence. She exchanges it for sunglasses in the Camo Outfit, and tosses it away completely in the Heart Outfit.
- Nice Hat: Her iconic red beanie.
- Ojou: In her personal life (the animated series), she is the heir to the family fortune.
- The Perfectionist: Strives for perfection in everything she does, especially when it comes to break dancing and her precision skate tricks.
- The Smart Guy: Her Her analytical mind makes her the brainie of the Surfers, a real source of pride.
A Hip-Hop dancer and the second of the token characters to be unlocked. Fresh is unlocked by finding 50 of his stereos. He has two outfits: the Funk outfit (costs 25 keys) and the sport outfit (costs 40 keys)
- '80s Hair/'90s Hair: He wears a huge hi-top.
- Beehive Hairdo: Fresh has a very high military-style haircut.
- Cool Shades: In his Funk Outfit, he gains purple shades.
- Expy: His name and appearance were inspired in Will Smith's character from Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Also, he does the "U Can't Touch This" dance in the "Me" Menu.
- The Heart: He is said to be "the glue that holds the Surfers together".
- Nerd Glasses: He wears thick glasses similar to Tricky.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Wears tank-top all the time.
An aspiring Rock/Punk musician and the fourth character to be unlocked. Spike is unlocked by collecting 200 of his Guitars. He has two outfits, the Rock outfit (costs 25 keys) and Punk outfit (costs 40 keys).
- Badass Armfold: His default pose.
- Bald of Awesome: Loses his mohawk in his Rock outfit. Averted in his other outfits though.
- Delinquent Hair: Has some very wild hairstyles, including a red and gray Mohawk by default and spiky green hair in Punk outfit.
- Expository Hair Style Change: In his alternate Outfits, reflecting different music genres.
- Perpetual Frowner: Unlike almost everyone else, Spike always scowling.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: None of his outfits has the sleeves.
- The Stoic: He rarely ever smiles or changes his Perpetual Frowner expression.
- The Quincy Punk: Has this look.
A kid in an alien suit, the fifth and final Character to be unlocked by tokens.
Yutani is unlocked by collecting 500 of her UFOs. She has one outfit, the Gadget outfit (costs 250 UFOs).
- Ambiguous Gender: Yutani's gender was originally ambiguous, though her lips and eyelashes made her look like a girl though. Averted as the web-cartoon depicts her as female and her official bio also confirms it.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: No one in their right mind would wear a tacky alien suit outside all the time, yet Yutani does. She also personally believes she may not be of this earth.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears different color socks in her Gadget outfit.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She is the tech genius and the gang's Q.
- Odango Hair: Underneath her alien costume, she wears her hair into buns as shown in her Gadget outfit.
Unlockable by coins
The first character to can purchased with coins. Lucy cost coins 7000 to unlocked. She has two outfits, The Goth Outfit (costs 15 keys) and the Steam outfit (costs 30 keys)
- The Cutie: Like most of the other girls.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her head is shaved from the other side, creating an edgy and imbalance look.
- Multicolored Hair: Dyes her hair in a gradient of blue and pink.
- Nice Hat: Wears a brown steampunk top hat adorned with a clock and a green ribbon in her Steam outfit.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Retains the corset in any of her outfits.
- Perky Goth: Comes off as this in general, especially in her alternate appropriate-named outfit The Goth that consists of black dress, heavy makeup, skull earring, spiked collar and Fingerless Gloves.
- Steampunk: The aesthetic of her Steam outfit.
A robot and the second character that can be purchased by coins. Tagbot cost 12000 coins to unlock. Tagbot has two outfits, the Space Outfit (costs 15 keys), and the Toy Outfits (costs 30 keys).
- Easily Detachable Robot Parts: Tagbot's head is removable, and is sometimes used as a basketball.
- Nice Hat: The same as Jake's.
A Ninja and the third character one that can be purchased. Ninja can be unlocked for 20000 coins.
He has two outfits: the Yang Outfit for 15 keys and the Flame outfit for 30 keys.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has pretty thick eyebrows.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: His name is Ninja and he is a Ninja. Talk about straightforward...
- The Faceless: No one has ever seen the face behind that stereotypical ninja mask.
- McNinja: In his Flame outfit.
- Meaningful Name: Ninja, Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
A cheerleader and the fourth character that can be purchased. She cost 30000 coins to unlock. Tasha has two outfits, the Cheer outfit (costs 15 keys) and the Gym outfit (costs 30 keys).
- Bare Your Midriff: Her short top reveals her belly completely.
- Genki Girl: She is a cheerleader after all.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wears her hair like this in her Cheer outfit.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is a very attractive blonde cheerleader who often wears outfits that reveal her belly, legs and cleavage perfectly.
- She's Got Legs: Even when she wears leggings underneath it all, her shorts helps emphasize her legs.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: If Tasha didnt wear leggings underneath them, it would be dangerous to jump around in those shorts.
A businessman in a mask and the fifth character that can be purchased.
Frank cost 40000 coins to be unlocked. He has two outfits, the Clown outfits (costs 15 keys) and the Tiger outfit (costs 30 keys).
- Badass in a Nice Suit: In his suit, Frank is capable to run and jump like everyone else.
- The Faceless: Like Ninja, no one knows what is behind the mask.
- Malevolent Masked Men: In the animated series, his cutesy blushing rabbit mask becomes significantly more sinister.
- Sad Clown: Wears this mask in his Clown outfit.
- Token Adult: The only playable adult up to now.
The sixth playable playable to be purchased. It costs 80000 coins to unlock King. He has two outfits, the Count outfit (costs 15 keys) and the Royal outfit (which cost 30 keys).
- Acrofatic: He is a little pudgy but can still jump around as much as the others.
- Attention Whore: Implied by his gestures, he seems to like receiving attention.
- Badass Cape: His Blanket evokes one.
- Cool Crown/Nice Hat: His default paper crown becomes an actual crown in his Royal outfit.
- Royal Brat: Can come off as this, due to his chubby appearance and attention-seeking gesture.
A Zombie and the seventh playable character to be purchased.
Zoe costs 120000 coins to be unlocked. She has two outfits: the Curly outfit (costs 15 keys) and the Biker Outfit (costs 30 keys).
- Bare Your Midriff: All of her outfits left her belly bare.
- Biker Babe: In the Biker Outfit, she is donned in some very sharp biker attire, complete with a Cool Helmet.
- Cool Helmet: Again, in the Biker outfit.
- Expository Hair Style Change: In her Curly Outfit.
- Meganekko: A pair of 1950s glasses in the Curly Outfit.
- Perpetual Frowner: One of the few in the series. Its not like she can smile as a zombie, after all.
- Our Zombies Are Different: She is a zombie, who are brainless, but when dropped in the run, she is as capable and sentient as anyone else.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Similar to Tashas case, if not for the leggings, Zoe would have exposed her all with that shorts.
A black young woman with a large afro who is the eight one to be purchased. Formerly named Frizzy, she is now Ella after the Marrakesh 2020 update.
Ella costs 150000 coins to unlock. She has two outfits, the Rasta outfit (costs 15 keys) and the Gold outfit (costs 30 keys).
- Cool Shades: In her Rasta Outfit, she dons a pair of glasses with golden outlining.
- Connected All Along: Fresh is her younger brother, according to her cameo in Subway Surfers: The Animated Series.
- Funny Afro: Has a very prominent frizzy afro.
- Odango Hair: Not one, not two, but three buns in her Gold Outfit.
A lifeguard and the ninth player that can be purchased. Brody cost 300000 coins to unlock. He has two outfits: The Posh outfit can be unlocked for 30 keys and the Chill outfit can be unlocked for 70 keys.
The tenth, final and most expensive character to unlock: 980000 coins. Prince K's outfits are also expensive, costing 100 keys (Jag Outfit) and 280 keys( Shine Outfit).
- Cool Shades: He wears them all the time.
Limited CharactersThese characters are only available for a short amount of time before the next update. Thus without cheating, updates that return to a particular place or special offers, they become unobtainable. All of them cost 95,000 coins to unlock.
TonyNew York Special.
- Big Applesauce: Where he is from.
- Cool Shades: In his main outfit.
- Fingerless Gloves: In all of his outfits.
- Bare Your Midriff: In her main outfit and Shake outfit.
- Cat Girl: In her Meow outfit.
- Girlish Pigtails: In her main outfit.
- Sailor Fuku: In her main outfit.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Both in her Meow outfit (literally blue) and Fury outfit (white).
- But Not Too White: Nick is heavily tanned.
- Bald of Awesome: In his alternate outfit.
- Does Not Like Shoes: In both of his alternate outfits.
- Levitating Lotus Position: In his Color Master outfit.
- Cowboy: In his normal outfit.
- Knight in Shining Armor: In his Knight Outfit.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Noon is a Thai kickboxer but
- An Ice Person: Literally.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: In her Genie Outfit.
- Does Not Like Shoes: In her main outfit.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: In his a mask Outfit.
- Beauty Mark: Has one on her right cheek.
- Flower in Her Hair: Has a purple flower in her Elegant outfit.
LaurenWashington D.C. Special.
JennySan Francisco Special.
- Gamer Chick: Her Pixel outfit gives off this vibe.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair is black with pink ends.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes.
- Nice Hat: Wears a wide-brimmed hat adorned with flowers in her Florist outfit.
- Phoneaholic Teenager: Downplayed. Jolien is always seen holding her smartphone. All of her animations include interactions with her smartphone (taking several selfies in rapid succession and answering messages).
- Flower in Her Hair: In her main outfit.
- Nice Hat: Wears a tricorn with a big feather in his main outfit, and jester hat in his Joker outfit.
- Boyish Short Hair: Has a buzzcut.
Non Playable Characters
The guy whos in charge of keeping the subway clean of graffiti. Naturally, he often chases the Surfers because they spray graffiti on the train cars.
- Acrofatic: Despite his physique, he can pretty much keep up with the Subway Surfers.
- Badass Mustache: Has a pretty impressive one.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Because Failure Is the Only Option in an Endless Running Game.
- Big Bad: Of the game.
- Determinator: He doesn't quit chasing the Subway Surfers.
- Implacable Man: No matter how far the Surfers get ahead, one stumble is all it takes for him to catch up. The only real punishment he can get is if you hit a train while hes just behind you, sending you, him, and his dog into the screen.
- Nice Hat: Wears this to keep up with his outfit.
- Stern Chase: He can go as long as he wants to.