Caution with the spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Junpei Manaka is a teenage school student, and the protagonist to the series. Junpei is constantly getting strung up in numerous embarrassing but endearing romantic situations throughout middle and then high school. His indecisiveness between the girls he lovesAya, Satsuki, and Tsukasaand inability to decipher their feelings is the focal point of the story. His dream is to make films as a director.
- Accidental Pervert: Several times.
- Bishōnen: Surprisingly enough, he has become one in the Distant Finale.
- Butt-Monkey: Junpei is often subjected to this as well. Often mocked and abused, with characters remarking on the pairings he has in the series, and he initially doesn't succeed when it comes to filmmaking.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Can't spit it out his love for Aya.
- Chick Magnet: Even if he is not a popular guy in the school, he is targeted by four girls.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Considering his main motivation is to find the girl with strawberry panties. Howewer he never take adavantage of a girl.
- Cute Clumsy Guy: Due to excessive amounts of daydreaming.
- The Ditherer: An Enforced Trope, given how much of the story depends on his inability to choose between the girls.
- He's All Grown Up: A rare gender inversion of this. In the Distant Finale, Junpei is one of the last people to show up at the gang's three-year reunion, and he is jacked.
- Jerkass Ball: While Junpei is a nice guy in most of the moments, he had his jerk moments. His reactions to Satsuki in some moments were too far. While sometimes she gone too far in her advances against him, Junpei responses to it were way worse (especially considering he had feelings for her). In the second half, after choosing Tsukasa, he was way more interested in doing something special (like sex) with her while ignoring the fact she wanted to spend her last moments with him before going to France to study.
- Kavorka Man: He's not ugly, but there's no apparent reason why he should catch the attention of so many beautiful girl. Gets point because one of the people who lampshaded this to Junpei is Tsukasa Nishino herself when they were dating at the start of the manga (she then concluded that her standards wouldn't allow her to fall for a worthless person, so Junpei had to have hidden qualities she had noticed unconsciously. She had actually noticed them consciously well before getting the declaration, but had forgot about him until that fateful day).
- Having one of the main girls lampshade this in Junpei's face becomes a Running Gag, with a particularly funny occasion having Tsukasa and Satsuki describe the boy they like as a Kavorka Man only to realize they're both describing Junpei and start glaring at each other, with Aya silently joining the lampshading when she tries to console Junpei with a sad smile. Still, Tsukasa is the one who does this most often.
- Mr. Imagination: He has the tendency to get lost in his daydreams. Though, he isn't quite as bad as Kozue.
- Nice Guy: Junpei is one of the nicest guys in the series, often helping people even to his own detriment. That's also why Nishino fell for him.
- Otaku: Junpei's obsession with moviemaking often comes off like this, to the extent that he becomes pretty much the last boy in class to even notice the opposite sex.
- Pursue the Dream Job: He really wants to become a film director and pursues it during the story. This is played straight during the time skip when he has an average job but isn't a film director yet. Although in the end, he finally becomes one.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: His gentleness and kindness is what attracts the girls to him.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: His dyanamic with Amachi, seeing as the rivarly between them is almost exclusively Played for Laughs.
- Twice Shy: With Aya.
- Walking the Earth: During the time skip after the penultimate chapter. He traveled the world to find inspiration for his next movies.
Aya Toujou is a shy, affectionate teenage student. Aya is the mystery girl with the ichigo pantsu (strawberry pantiesunderwear) that Junpei seeks at the beginning of the series. Aya starts as a nerdy top student who wears large glasses and unattractive hairstyle. She is secretly writing a fantasy novel on her math notebook but lacks confidence of showing it. Junpei discovers the novel and encourages her to become a writer by sharing his dream of becoming a film maker. Aya falls in love with Junpei at the moment.
- Beautiful All Along: Aya becomes better looking by letting her bangs down, and beautiful by taking off her glasses and unbraiding her hair.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Initially she is considered an unactrattive nerd and nobody pay attention to her. She fall in love with Junpei when he discover her talent in writing and encourage her sharing his dreams.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty in contrast to Tsukasa's Veronica.
- Buxom Is Better: She and Satsuki are really popular in the school because this.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Aya, obviously crushes on Junpei from their first meeting, but can't bring herself to say anything.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Aya is a bit clumsy in general, but becomes a walking disaster area when flustered. When told that Tsukasa broke up with Junpei, she went into three consecutive spills.
- Dude Magnet: Aya become this by taking off her glasses and unbraiding her hair. With her new look she attracts the attention of the boys so much that some even come from other classes to see her.
- Hidden Buxom: Aya has a D cup size, but nobody in the school note this until her change of look (that is relative only to face). Junpei discover this when is stuck with her and Tsukasa in a closet.
- Informed Deformity: Aya is supposed to be unattractive in her nerdy look when, instead, she is a cute Meganekko.
- Meganekko: With her initial nerdy look. Plus, she is very shy.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls: She is secretly writing a fantasy novel on her math notebook but lacks the confidence to show it to anyone. Junpei discovers the novel and encourages her to become a writer by sharing his dream of becoming a film maker, which he is also afraid to tell anyone.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is the second-most buxom girl in the series, after Satsuki, and source of many Panty Shots. The sight of her strawberry panties is what kicks off the story.
- Nice Girl: She is very nice with everyone except with her brother, although is understandable since he annoys her.
- Shrinking Violet: She is very timid to the point of trying to hide her beauty to avoid to talk with the boys in the school.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Aya Toujou becomes beautiful by taking off her glasses and unbraiding her hair. But she attracts the attention of the boys so much that some even come from other classes to see her and is almost harassed by the gym teacher.
- Twice Shy: With Manaka.
Tsukasa Nishino is the most popular student in Junpei's middle school. She becomes Junpei's girlfriend early on in the manga, only to break up with him soon after entering high school. Supportive, understanding, and optimistic, she does her best to encourage Junpei in everything he does, yet is also straightforward and flirtatious enough to let him know exactly what she wants.
- Betty and Veronica: A downplayed Veronica in contrast to Aya's Betty.
- Character Development: Of the four lead female characters, Tsukasa's personality changes the most: flighty and somewhat hot-tempered during her middle school days, she develops a far more mature attitude soon after entering Oumi Academy.
- Dude Magnet: Tsukasa was already the most popular girl in the middle school with also Okusa and Koyama attract to her. When she move in the Omi only-female school she gain, anyway, a personal fanclub of boys that follow her. Even Higure has fallen for her, but he understands that she would rather be with Junpei.
- First Girl After All: Later in the story, Tsukasa reveals she liked Junpei before the start of the story.
- First Girl Wins: Considering she was the first girl which Junpei dated and the first one which loved him, before Aya and Satsuki.
- Supreme Chef: Tsukasa has a passion for cooking and baking, and works part-time at a French pastry shop.
Satsuki Kitaoji is a student of Izumizaka High. Satsuki is very popular among the boys in the school, mainly with the sports clubs and teams. Of all the girls after Junpei, Satsuki is the most confident in her lovehaving been the first to ever confess to himand is constantly seen in his company. Unlike the others, Satsuki is very aggressive, often physical, with her feelings. Coupled with her attractive figure, mainly her large bust size, she constantly tries to push herself onto Junpei.
- Big Breast Pride: Satsuki. On one occasion, she mocks Yui this way, accusing her of being jealous because she is flat-chested. And one her Berserk Button is when she is compared to prof Kurokawa, the only character more busty than her.
- Buxom Is Better: She and Aya are really popular in the school because this. Many schoolboys envy Manaka's relationship with Satsuki because he can often feel the softness of her boobs.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially thought Junpei was just a pervert but quickly changes her mind after perceiving he is a nice guy after all.
- Demoted to Extra: In the final chapters. After listening Junpei rejecting Aya, she had only small appearances.
- Determinator: Since the beginning she used all her weapons to be the chosen one. Even after Junpei dumping her several times, she returned stronger and more determined to the point of almost raping him. She even steal a kiss from him (it was his first one). She loses in the end although.
- Dude Magnet: Satsuki is the Lust Object in the school because she has the most "mature" body and many boys envy Junpei. She is also the idol of the rugby schoolplayers.
- Foil: To Aya. She admires how strong Satsuki is and wishes to become a bit more stronger like her.
- Genki Girl: Athletic and energetic, she loves to be seen with Junpei and is the most confident in her love for him.
- Graceful Loser: After listening Junpei dumping Aya, she accepts her defeat since she considered Aya a stronger opponent for Junpei's heart. Satsuki even had a good talk with Junpei and Aya after this.
- Hopeless Suitor: Becomes one in the second half, when Junpei is clearly between Aya and Tsukasa only.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is the most buxom girl in the series (officially she is a DDD-cup) and has no problem in showing his body to Junpei. No surprise that she's very popular among the boys in the school.
- Proud Beauty: Satsuki is very proud about to be a sexy teenager, especially when she is compared to Kurokawa-sensei.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: She has no problem being seen semi- or completly naked by Junpei, provoking him on many occasions. The peak is during the trip to Kyoto: Junpei end trapped in the women bath alone with Satsuki, completly naked, that want have sex with him. "Fortunately" she slip (hitting the head) and faints.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Not so much in the school, but Satsuki, in her work place, is molested from a co-worker until Junpei, hired for a brief period, snap.
- Third-Option Love Interest: She is introduced as the third love interest of Junpei after Aya Tojo and Tsukasa Nishino.
Once a neighbor and childhood friend of Junpei before moving away, Yui acts more like a sister than a friend despite being only a year younger.
- Demoted to Extra: She Lampshades this in an omake chapter.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She's not particularly bothered by her habit of removing her clothes in her sleep. Even while in the same room or bed as Junpei.
- The Not-Love Interest: Though considered one of the four main heroines in the series, Yui is never considered a love interest, nor does she ever show Manaka any affection outside of their sibling-type relationship, although she acts at times like an overprotective big sister.
- Token Mini-Moe: She qualifies and also has the smallest chest in the show.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Averted — Yui never displays any serious love interest in Junpei.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Yui calls Junpei out after caught him cheating Tsukasa with Aya (although this wasn't his fault since he was dreaming). This incident made both Junpei and Aya to clear their doubts and make their decision.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Yui is afraid of dogs.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In the anime.
A close friend of Junpei since middle school, frequently made fun of because of his peculiar, octopus-like lips and his desperation in finding a girlfriend. Quite the pervert, he is able to entertain any girl (if only for a little while) with his gorilla and octopus impressions.
- Butt-Monkey: Mocked by almost everyone due being ugly and dumb. Victim of almost all misfortunes of this story.
- Gonk: His face most closely resembles an octopus.
- Iron Butt Monkey: No matter what happens to him, he recovers incredibly fast.
- Ugly Guy Hot Girlfriend: When Chinami Hashimoto genuinely falls for him, and gets immediately lampshaded when the entire Film Studies Club plus Kozue and Amachi find out and nearly get an heart attack. She later dumps him... Except that the Distant Finale implies they got back together, in secret to prevent a scandal from ruining her idol career.
One of Junpei's old friends from middle school who is the star player of the soccer team. His athletic abilities and looks cause him to attract girls almost like a magnet. Because of his "perceived" experience with girls, Junpei went to him for advice on his girl problems early in the manga.
- Bishōnen: A classic pretty-boy. Early chapters have him make some "pose" to empathize this.
- Bromantic Foil: To Manaka.
- Chick Magnet: Ookusa has herds of girls flocking to them.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: In the second half he vanishes without an explanation.
- Demoted to Extra: Just after the first arc despite studying in the same school of Junpei and his friends.
- Green-Eyed Monster: He attempts to steal Tsukasa away from Junpei via a double date with Yui, although his attempts to charm her go unacknowledged, much to his chagrin.
A friend of Junpei's; his sole obsession in life is taking photos of pretty girls for his website, "Melon 100%". To this end, he initiated the re-establishment of the Film Studies Club in order to make use of school funding and facilities to expand his website.
- Likes Older Women: For all that he obsesses over taking pictures of cute girls for his webpage, he's actually interested in mature women like his teacher, Kurokawa-sensei.
- Otaku: He qualifies, due to his "Beautiful Girls I've Found" web page.
- Teen Genius: Despite his perversions, Sotomura is the top student in school, with grades even better than those of Aya.
The tough and pretty younger sister of Hiroshi Sotomura. A no-nonsense person, Misuzu installs herself as vice-president and assistant director of the Film Studies Club. She idolizes Aya for her writing ability. She can not stand Junpei's indecisiveness with women.
- Ascended Extra: She get also her side-story with a potential Love Interest in the final volume.
- The Not-Love Interest: She shares Junpei's interest in movies and gets some Ship Tease with him, with her brother noticing that she acts differently around him, but she has no romantic interest in him and is the one who gets a boyfriend before the Distant Finale.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Misuzu is quite good ad delivering them, leaving the school's banchou in tears and even warning Junpei that "My words are like stones! They can kill!".
- Tsundere: Misuzu is a not-romantic example. She tends to play down Junpei's role in the club, but later admits (to herself) that Junpei's accomplishment in building the club from scratch is truly remarkable whereas she is just "all-talk".
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Misuzu and Kitaoji argue with each other often, but after graduation they both live in Kyoto and always keep in touch.
Childish, impulsive, and fickle girl in the same year as Misuzu. A gold-digger through and through, she is very used to getting whatever she wants. She initially used Manaka as an excuse for dumping one of her previous "boyfriends" and eventually ended up joining the Film Studies Club.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She act like a cute and innocent girl, but is very manipulative with the boys.
- Fille Fatale: She is very used to getting whatever she wants. She initially used Junpei as an excuse for dumping one of her previous "boyfriends" and eventually ended up joining the Film Studies Club.
- Gold Digger
- Pair the Spares: Subverted. She ends up with Komiyama, the least likely person imaginable, for a short while but later dumps him, as expected).
- Proud Beauty: While she does not hold any genuine feelings for Junpei, she is bothered by how unremarkable she is to him.
Manaka's math teacher and advisor to the Film Club. Beautiful, busty, and a frequent drinker, she is the classic irresponsible adult archetype, tending to spend the prize money of the Film Studies Club on frivolous pursuits like visits to the salon. Despite this, she is quite supportive of the club, being one of the original founding members and the main female protagonist in the club movie that inspired Manaka to push through with his directorial dreams.
- Christmas Cake: She frequently complains about not having a man despite being a beautiful woman.
A true ladies' man, Amachi is the perfect gentleman, with a face to match. He is Manaka's rival for Toujou's affections, although he does not pose too much of a threat (It's apparent that she prefers Manaka). Like Okusa, Amachi has herds of girls flocking to him, and he seems to have a compulsive necessity in helping women in need.
- Chick Magnet: Girls love him in the school. He is their White Knight.
- Determinator: He is very determined to make Aya falling for him. In his last chance, he even tried to kiss her, but was rejected, like Satsuki.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Aya. He also start to ignore all the girls in the school for her, but is useless. He give up definitively when Aya reject him after tried to kiss her.
- Jerkass Has a Point: In the last chapters, Amachi says to Aya she needs to stop making stories only for Junpei, since he has a girlfriend already. Despite dumping him in the next scene, she thinks he is right.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Amachi seems to have a compulsive necessity in helping women in need. Kozue comments that he seems like a knight.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Pretty much the dynamic between him and Junpei.
A student in the cram school Manaka and Toujou attend during their second year of high school. Although she has an attractive body, she has a chronic fear of males. Ironically, she also tends to have very vivid romantic fantasies with those she fears. She quickly falls in love with Manaka, the first boy she feels comfortable enough to talk to. She appears to be an extreme version of Toujo; she is far more shy and reserved, and falls over just as often.
- Covert Pervert / Ms. Imagination: She possesses a very active imagination.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: She appears to be an extreme version of Aya and falls over just as often.
- Romantic False Lead: She is introduced in the second half and last girl that falls in love with Junpei. Readers comment that she seems nearly a Filler character in the story.
- Shrinking Violet: Kozue is a extreme case; before meeting Junpei, she is very afraid of boys.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: She don't appear in the final chapter, 5 years latter the highschool graduation.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Kozue initially is afraid of men freezing up and even cowering in terror in their presence.
- The Big Guy: The big one from Kozue's group. His presence alone often intimidate other students.