The Main Six
Emma has never surfed before, but she's stoked to learn this summer. She's sweet, honest, optimistic and a bit naive. Although she's super social and best friends with lots of dudes, she totally loses it around guys she's crushing on. Emma is 16-years-old.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Kelly's Veronica for Ty.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Emma was able to wrestle Fin to the ground and pin her after a short struggle in "Chum Music".
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Is prone to getting distracted and losing her balance, both when surfing and at work.
- Dogged Nice Girl: To Ty.
- Expy: Of Jen Masterson and Bridgette of Total Drama (even sharing a voice actress with the latter), but is more free-spirited than Jen.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Johnny, Ripper, and possibly Ty do.
- Naïve Newcomer: This is her first time trying to join in "grom culture", and it shows.
- Nice Girl: She's very sweet.
- Oblivious to Love: Is oblivious to Johnny's feelings.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: And it's pretty effective.
- Shipper on Deck: Shipped Reef/Fin in the 1st season but shipped Reef/Lo in "Channel Surfers"
- Town Girls: The Neither to Fin's Butch and Lo's Femme.
Fin is a total adrenaline junkie and not afraid of anything. She's a girl but tough, with a quick wit and tons of confidence, basically the ultimate "guy's girl." Fin might be best surfer out of all groms, although Reef would be quick to argue that point. Fin is 16-years-old.
- Almost Kiss: With Reef.
- Badass Adorable: An absolutely precious surfer chick.
- Big Eater: In "Slumber Party Animals", she single-handedly empties out a mini-fridge in the Royal Suite.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The blonde.
- Boyish Short Hair: It's very messy, just barely goes past her jawline.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: In "The Captain, The Grom, His Hope, Her Dream"
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She tried to break up Reef and Lo's relationship because Lo treated Reef like a servant, well at least that's what she says. Plus in the past she has repeatedly tried to (and succeeded in) wrecking Reef's love life
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Or in this case, "blonde with a kind of orange-ish spray tan".)
- Deadpan Snarker: For every wave Fin has shred, she has two sardonic quips.
- Expy: Of Nikki from 6teen and Gwen from Total Drama.
- Gasshole: Fin doesn't do it too often, but she's the best burper on the show, and has possibly burped more frequently than anyone else (except for maybe Reef or Broseph) and after passing the "man tests" in season 2's 24th episode, Heartbreak Hotel (and said tests actually start with her chugging soda and belching), she celebrates by cutting loose with a burp powerful enough to blow Reef's and Broseph's hair & lips back, knock Johnny over and shake the room they were in. Even some of her weaker burps are still strong to blow a person's hair back. Naturally, she's also seen having a Burping Contest with Johnny, Reef, and Lo in the episode "Brofinger".
- Hartman Hips: They're wider than her shoulders!
- I Have Brothers: They made her eat worms when she was a kid, which is why she doesn't mind eating them when being forced to Eat That.
- The Lad-ette: She doesn't do 'girly'. In "Heartbreak Hotel", she easily out-machoes all of the guys during their 'Manly Dude' weekend.
- Nice Girl: Unless you do something to get on her bad side, Fin's one of the kindest and most supportive friends you could ever find.
- One of the Boys: She's just as brash, just as headstrong, just as action-crazed and generally just as much a "dude" as the other guys she hangs out with. The A-plot of "Heartbreak Hotel" is them coming to realise that, when she wants to be, Fin can be more of a man than they are, something that they find unbearable.
- Only Sane Woman: Given that she is a big-sisterly figure toward Emma and is Closer to Earth than Lo.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Reef.
Reef is good-looking and athletic, but he's also a little goofy and tends to overreact in every situation. He's loves to talk trash to Fin and has a competitive streak a mile wide, so it's a good thing he has the surf skills to back it up. Reef is 16-years-old.
- Almost Kiss: With Fin.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: To Bummer in "Mr. Wahine."
- Book Dumb: His mind is dedicated to surfing, and only surfing. When the lack of waves leads him into book reading to occupy his time, however... see Megane for details.
- Embarrassing First Name: In the episode where his mom appears, it's revealed that Reef's real name is actually "Leslie."
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: More of a "jerk" than being "evil", but he clearly loves and cares about his mom.
- Expy: Of Jonesy from 6teen and Duncan from Total Drama.
- Flanderization: He initially started out as a total Jonesy-clone, but over the course of the show (particularly in the second season), Reef becomes whinier, cockier (even more so than Jonesy ever was), more narcissistic, more unapologetic and, overall, just more of a jerk. He even tried to weasel out of the strike by begging Lo to go with her!
- Gasshole: Another contender for most frequent burper on the show, although unlike Fin or Broseph he's not winning any contests, though he did join one with Johnny, Reef, and Lo in the episode "Brofinger".
- Groin Attack: He just wouldn't be a male Fresh TV protagonist without some of these painful moments.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: When two girls asked him out on a date, his refusal by claiming he was taken was this trope (he was dating Lo at the time).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: In the early episode, he was ultimately an arrogant-but-Nice Guy. But then in Season 2 (particularly in the last few episodes), Reef evolves into a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk.
- Megane: In the Season 1-finale, he briefly enters a 'smart' stage when the ocean was flat.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Fin.
- Straw Misogynist: Probably the main reason that Fin's generally very hostile towards Reef is that he often voices his opinion of women being inferior to men when it comes to things that he considers "manly stuff," (mostly stuff related to sports, including surfing). However, Fin has proven herself to actually be a lot better than Reef at pretty much all that he considers "manly stuff."
Lo's the middle child and only daughter of the insanely wealthy Ridgemount family, owners of the Ridgemount Hotel chain and the flagship Surfer's Paradise Ridgemount Resort, and she has always been able to sweet talk her parents into anything by smiling and promising to love her daddy forever. And her mom want so badly to be "the cool mom" that she lets Lo get away with murder. When her dad decides it's time for her to earn her keep, Lo starts working at the resort. But since she's never done chores in her life (other than simply cleaning her room or doing the dishes), she's terrible at her job and never lasts long in any department. Lo is 15-years-old.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Becomes this towards Reef after they start dating—according to Broseph in "Dirty Little Secrets, Nerdy Little Secrets," it's to the point of where she gets insanely jealous if Reef so much as looks at another girl."He looked at another girl? Where? I'll mash her face like a potato!"
- Expy: Of Caitlin from 6teen and Lindsay from Total Drama. And, for some, of Courtney from Total Drama, especially in the second season.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Any of Lo's schemes to get in good with her dad.
- Fallen Princess: The reason Lo was forced to work at the resort for the summer was that she had thrown this "End of the School Year" party that got so out-of-hand that it not only ended up all over the news and the internet, but even the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were called in at one point. For that reason, her dad forced to move from their family's penthouse to the hotel's staff house and made to work like a common employee until her dad feels that she's been suitably made to understand the error of her ways.
- In-Series Nickname: Almost everyone calls her "Lo" instead of "Lauren." In fact, two of the few people that regularly call her by her real name are her dad and Rosie, the head of housekeeping at Surfer's Paradise.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She can be out-and-out sweet at times, despite being an Alpha Bitch.
- Matchmaker Crush: Many fans theorize that she had a crush on Reef in the first season, despite trying to set him and Fin up.
- Not So Above It All: She's actually seen having a Burping Contest with Johnny, Reef, and Fin in the episode "Brofinger", despite normally being the Girly Girl of the three main girls.
- Shipper on Deck:
- Shipped Reef/Fin until she and Reef started dating in the second season.
- Ships her brother with Emma.
- Town Girls: The Femme to Fin's Butch and Emma's Neither.
- Tsundere: a Type B towards Reef.
A natural born surfer, Broseph is a totally mellow guy with a chilled perspective on the world. Even though he's late for everything, and often causes mix-ups the others have to fix, and is the reigning king of moochers, everybody still loves Broseph. He is 16-years-old.
- Berserk Button: He has one button and one button only. Being called a "Betty" (Essentially surfer lingo for a rookie), he instantly loses his laid-back nice guy demeanor and undergoes a Training Montage.
- Book Dumb: Not as bad as Reef, though.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At the end of "Brofinger", he actually donates several surfboards to a group of rhinos.
- Expy: Of Jude from 6teen and Geoff from Total Drama.
- Extreme Omnivore: Let's say he follows a 5-day rule. He is also seen drinking ketchup and enjoying it. He talks Emma into trying it too, but she didn't like it very much.
- Gasshole: Athough he doesn't burp as frequently as Reef or Fin, he can match Fin in power (or at least come close). For example: in the final episode, he was in no condition to surf because of his upset stomach, but ends up winning the boys' division of Gromfest anyway when said upset stomach causes him to burp powerfully enough to propel him backwards into a 1080, beating Reef's score of 9.5 with a perfect 10.
- Hairy Hammerspace: Complete with Rummage Fail!
- The Prankster: During the only episode that featured it Reef said to everyone else that Broseph is the best person to call on to think of pranks.
- Surfer Dude: Many of the guys in the show are, of course, but Brospeh is an exceptional example.
Johnny is stylish, witty and cool, and he knows the hotel inside and out, which is invaluable when it comes to a getting the others out of a jam. All he asks in return is that they occasionally give him some surfing lessons, because that's the one area where he really stinks. Johnny is 17-years-old.
- Better as Friends: What he and Emma ultimately decide.
- Butt-Monkey: When it comes to his crush on Emma
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Emma.
- Expy: Of Wyatt from 6teen and DJ of Total Drama.
- Number Two: To Bummer—technically-speaking, Johnny's the concierge and not the assistant manager, but he typically acts as Bummer's assistant. And it's been stated that Johnny is Bummer's favorite staff member.
- Only Sane Man: He tends to be the most rational and sensible of the group, guys and girls alike.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Out of all the summer staff, he's probably got the highest rank (working as the hotel's concierge).
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives this to the Marvin twins' lazy parents, to a point where even BUMMER has to agree.
- The Worf Effect: Very quickly goes from being one of the best surfers in the series to one of the worst (if not the worst).
- Worth It: Despite agreeing with him telling the Marvin's they are terrible parents, Bummer still had to give him a demerit. Johnny was happy to take it.
Other Staff at the Hotel
- Bad Boss (combined with Mean Boss and Control Freak): And how! He really doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything outside of himself, his job and kissing up to the guests and Lo's dad (who's his boss), and he freaks out if even the tiniest thing isn't perfect for the guests at Surfer's Paradise. To name a few examples —
- He's often calling the staff (particularly the groms) things like "mutants" or "slackers" and making their work lives miserable in countless other ways.
- He makes them stay in terrible living conditions (and presumably keeping Lo's dad in the dark about it).
- He's often giving out strikes and threatening to fire (or even just outright firing) employees for ridiculously petty reasons—he once Fin a strike simply for yawning and, according to Johnny in the series' penultimate episode, Bummer apparently once fired a female employee simply because Bummer thought that she "looked at [Bummer] funny" (it later turned out that the girl just had a lazy eye).
- By acting as buffer between Lo's dad and the employees who work below him (including Lo), he's most likely keeping his boss in the dark about certain aspects of the hotel, such as the conditions of the staff house and embezzling money from the hotel (such as depleting most of the summer staff's food budget to buy himself a personal golf cart). It's very likely that Bummer would lose his job if Lo's dad were to discover his antics.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Has deeply tanned skin and blonde hair. However, he is also...
- Ambiguously Brown: In "500 Days of Bummer," he takes off his shirt to reveal some pretty pale skin under his tan lines, though this could just be a quick sight gag. In all other appearances he makes without a shirt, his skin is a uniform shade of tan.
- Didn't Think This Through: A variation—in the first season finale, after Johnny informs him of the ocean being completely flat (meaning that the staff can't get any surfing in), Bummer's happy to hear this at first, because he initially assumes that no surfing means no slacking off from the staff. It's not until after Johnny reminds him that as a surf resort, surfing is the primary thing that people come for at Surfer's Paradise that Bummer realizes that the ocean being flat means that guests staying at the hotel won't be able to surf either.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Doesn't do more than give Johnny a demerit for getting the Marvin family to leave the hotel.
- In-Series Nickname: His real name is "Andrew Baumer," but nearly everyone calls him "Bummer" (mostly behind his back, but sometimes to his face).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Similar to Reef, Bummer started off as this in the early, but over the course of the series (particularly in Season 2), Bummer evolves into a Jerk with a Heart of Jerk.
- Gasshole: The only Gasshole on the show known for farting rather than burping, hence the Meaningful Nickname.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Lance.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: We never find out his real name (assuming that "Ripper" is just a nickname).
- Third-Option Love Interest: Is briefly one for Emma.
- Those Two Guys: With No-Pants Lance.
- Toilet Humor: His Meaningful Name.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has this—it's revealed what his natural hair color is.
- Butt-Monkey: He gets very little respect—even Captain Clam, the mascot of Surfer's Paradise archrival hotel, gets more respect than he does.
- Expressive Hair: More correctly, an expressive plastic fin.
- The Faceless: We never find out who wears the costume—all that can be gathered is that the person wearing it is a guy, he's most likely a grom and is probably a local (since he was already at the hotel by the time Reef, Emma and Fin arrived there).
The general manager of the Pirate Ship and head of the wait-staff, Kelly's the direct supervisor for Emma and Lo (until the latter gets transferred to the hotel's housekeeping department in "Endless Bummer"). She's apparently around 17 or 18-years-old.
- Alpha Bitch: Towards the Groms, especially Emma and Lo.
- Bad Boss: Again, towards the Groms.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Emma's Betty for Ty's Archie.
- Gold Digger: She only dated Ty for his family's money.
- Romantic False Lead: Starts dating Ty because he's rich.
The head of housekeeping at the resort.
- Deadpan Snarker: More often then not she'll usually have a snark ready on hand.
- Grumpy Bear: She's doesn't seem to particularly like her job, but when most of the guest tend to be unruly or unsanitary, can you blame her?
- Hidden Depths: She was a surfer herself when she was younger.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She's shown to be afraid of spiders.
The husband of Mrs. Ridgemount and father of Ty, Lo and George, Mr. Ridgemount is the founder, owner and head of Ridgemount Resorts.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: He doesn't approve of Lo's relationship with Reef in the second season, and openly expresses it—near the beginning of the beginning of the series' penultimate episode, he fears what could happen should Reef and Lo actually end up getting married as adults.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Acts like one—turns out to be rather fitting since in the first season finale, he was in the Army at one point.
- The Faceless: Mostly—his entire face was never seen on the show, but there is some fanart that shows what his entire face might look like (and there are certain episodes where parts of his face are seen).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Even if he is kind of a jerk, Mr. Ridgemount really does love and care about his family, including his daughter—ultimately, he just wants what's best for Lo and has expressed genuine pride in her achievements (such as her part in helping the gang take down Captain Ron in the Season 1-finale).
- Mean Boss: Downplayed—he's not the friendliest person ever, but he's comparably nicer than Bummer.
- No Indoor Voice: Generally speaks very loudly and tends to yell a lot.
- Papa Wolf: He's protective of Lo—for example, in "Clinging in the Rain," he forced Bummer to look for Lo and make sure that she was safe, or else he would fire Bummer. Also, assuming that Mr. Ridgemount doesn't know about the condition of the staff house that's provided for the summer staff (which is very likely), Bummer would most likely lose his job for actually his boss's daughter stay in such a horrible place.
- Self-Made Man: And he really wants his kids to take after his example.
The wife of Mr. Ridgemount and the mother of Ty, Lo and George.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Can be this to Lo at times.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: She's looks incredibly youthful for a woman (most likely in late-30s/early-40s) who had three kids—here's a picture of Lo and her mom standing together.◊
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Has a tendency of doing this, much to her daughter's embarrassment.
- Socialite: While her husband runs the hotel chain, Mrs. Ridgemount doesn't appear to have a job and seems to be a socialite of some sort.
- Trophy Wife: Was thought to be this at first, but it's revealed in a flashback in "The Day the Sea Stood Still" that she and her husband apparently met sometime when they were in high school or college (long before he started his hotel chain)
The older brother of Lo and George and the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Ridgemount—he's 17-years-old.
- Aloof Big Brother: A nicer version of this trope.
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth: So much that with proper lighting, it temporarily blinded Johnny.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: He's definitely the most mature and responsible of the three Ridgemount-kids. In fact, despite being born into an incredibly wealthy family, Ty's not opposed to working for his spending money (unlike his sister was when she was at the beginning of the series).
- Horrible Judge of Character: His relationship with Kelly (at least until he realizes what she's really like).
- Oblivious to Love: Is as oblivious to Emma's feelings for him as Emma is to Johnny's feelings for her.
- What Does He See in Her?: When Ty starts dating Kelly.
The younger brother of Ty and Lo and the youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Ridgemount—he's mentioned to be 12-years-old.