Abel / Ethan
Abel is a navigator and the main character of Starfighter. He pilots the Reliant.
- Ace Pilot: one of the best pilots aboard the Sleipnir along with Keeler, which is why he was unknowingly chosen by Bering and Cook to make a piece of Colteron technology work.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Gender inverted. He still likes Cain though Praxis, a much nicer guy shows interest in him.
- Badass Gay: one of the best pilots aboard the Sleipnir and in a rocky relationship with Cain. He is implied to have been in the closet before they met.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Subverted, as the scar in his lip lasts.
- Betty and Veronica: He is the Archie to Cain's Veronica and Praxis' Betty.
- He is the Betty to Deimos' Veronica to Cains Archie.
- Break the Cutie: He faces a sociopath of a roomate and slowly realizes things are harder in the military than he believes.
- Covert Pervert: believe it or not, Abel has a hidden pervert side he tries to keep in check. For starters, count the number of times he imagines himself having sex with Cain... Then there's the fact their second (seen) sexual encounter was initiated by him and happened in their own ship, or the fact his sexual fantasy is having several partners... Yeah, it's there.
- Gayngst: Implied to be one of the reasons he joined the military.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: White-/blonde hair. Nicer than a good chunk of the Sleipnir.
- Sweet Tooth: Likes baked goods a lot, according to Hamlet.
- Multicolored Hair: Light hair with yellow streaks in his bangs.
- Scars Are Forever: the scar on his lip.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: He finally gets annoyed of Praxis and disregards his comments about Cain.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He was right when he pointed out that Praxis is so invested on Abel and breaking him and Cain up that he completely ignores Ethos, his own navigator.
- Was It All a Lie?: He doesn't take it well when he learns about Project Thebes, and asks the question almost word-for-word to Cain regarding their relationship.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: One of his motives for joining the Alliance was a desire to protect everyone. Seems to wholeheartedly believe he and Cain will survive the Sleipnir mission. According to Cain, no one's gone into Colteron space and lived.
Cain / Alexei
Fighter of the Reliant, and Abel's love(?) interest.
- Bastard Boyfriend
- Becoming the Mask: Project Thebes requires him to seduce Abel so that they would be emotionally connected enough to activate the Jump Drive. However, he finds himself genuinely falling for Abel later on, and sees their relationship as more than just part of a mission.
- Berserk Button: people getting close to Abel. As Cook learns the hard way, he is no exception.
- Betty and Veronica: Veronica to Praxis' Betty to Abel's Archie.
- Archie to Deimos' Veronica and Abel's Betty.
- Blood Knight: loves fighting, especially Colterons, and even gets off on violence.
- Character Development: He actually starts treating Abel nicely, compared to the beginning.
- Lampshaded by Deimos, that he never even referred to his previous Navigators by name, but treats Abel nicely.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He imposes a rule amongst fighters. No one can touch his navigator, that will be marked by a scar in his lip.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied.
- Husky Russkie: has the accent, the attitude and the fighting skills to match. Downplayed in that he comes from the Colonies (Mars).
- In Love with Your Carnage: He mentions how much Abel running after the teron and shooting him down turned him on.Cain: "You were so great out there, Abel. The way you went after that Teron, the way you lined up the shot. You knew exactly what to do. Abel, I... I couldn't wait to get you back here. I've never... wanted anyone as bad as I want you..."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Possibly, though the heart of gold is buried very deeply down. He's normally incredibly aggressive and arrogant, but after their victory over the teron, he's surprisingly considerate toward Abel and pays him a genuine compliment.
- Ladykiller in Love: has seduced and slept with all three of his Navigators as part of Bering and Cook's plan, but ends up genuinely falling for Abel. Which is good because the MacGuffin Jump Drive installed on the Reliant needs The Power of Love to work properly.
- Multicolored Hair: Black (or at least very dark) with streaks of cyan in his bangs.
- Poirot Speak: though he is fluent in English, he still uses Russian in some of his sentances, such as "Da blyat" and "Myshonok". When he isn't outright speaking Russian with Deimos.
- Really Gets Around: Downplayed, but he did seduced and kept all his previous navigators as his bitches for at least a while.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Towards Abel, even letting him top on the bed.
- Tsundere: Downplayed. He does seem to care for Abel the minimun amount possible, but is still aggressive towards him.
Another fighter who works as a sort of underling for Cain, spying his Navigators.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: In a flashback, his relationship with Cain seems to begin because he saved him from a group of fighters about to beat him.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Abel's Betty and Cain's Archie.
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Played with. He seems fine with helping Cain to control his navigators because he believes he never will care for them. As Cain starts to treat Abel remotely nicely, he quits.
- Knife Nut: His primary weapon is a Butterfly Knife.
- Longing Look: Towards Cain, in page 52 of chapter 3.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Only sometimes obscures one of his eyes. Part quiet/shy, part concealment.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Shortest member of the cast at around 5'5. Still a competent fighter.
- The Quiet One: Barely says anything.Cain: "'Talking' isn't something he is good at."
- Unrequited Love: for Cain.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: All the scene of Abel coming over and having sex with him is just in his fantasy while he masturbates.
- Betty and Veronica: Betty to Cain's Veronica to Abel's Archie.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Much nicer to Abel than Cain, but dogged nonetheless.
- Hypocrite: Downplayed, but he still goes crazy to get Abel away from Cain claiming he is crazy, while he still does not show any respect or even listens to his own navigator.
- Mr. Exposition: Explained to Abel about Deimos and told him about the scar in his lip.
The Sleipnir's Lead Navigator and Encke's Navigator.
- Beta Couple: With Encke, implied. They do have the healthiest relationship between Fighter and Navigator so far.
- Bewarethe Nice Ones: He is still one of the Best Navigator of the Sleipnir.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: His personality is very motherly and outgoing, nothing like what's expected of the military. He's still one of the best, if not the best Navigator avaiable.
- Closet Key: Implied to be this to Encke.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has a sickness and paid to have his records altered so he could join the military.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Hates Being Alone: his reason for joining the military. He couldn't stand being alone because of his illness, so he paid to have his files modified and join the army.
- Ill Boy: He has a bad sickness that would not let him get in the military, so he lies about it.
- Motherly Side Plait: Led to a lot of fans theorizing over whether the "dead anime mom" trope applied to him.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Encke's Manly Man.
- Shirtless Scene: He gets this once, as Encke walks in while he is changing.
- Stepford Smiler: Implied to be this.
- Team Mom: Acts this way towards the Navigators.
The Sleipnir's Lead Fighter and Keeler's Fighter.
- Beta Couple: With Keeler, implied. They do have the healthiest relationship between Fighter and Navigator so far.
- Bridal Carry: Carries Keeler in this fashion.
- Chaste Hero: Fighters seem to be really open about their sexual desires and often are seem having sex with each other, Encke however is yet to be shown in a sex scene, though he is flushed to see Keeler shirtless.
- Foil: To Cain. While Cain is brute and crazy, Encke is mature and respectful. This reflects again in their relationships, while Cain has a troublesome relationship with Abel mostly based on them having sex and constantly on the verge of having a fight with him, Encke has a very loving and respectful relationship with Keeler, even keeping his secret and helping him in anyway he can.
- Military Brat: comes from an Alliance family. His mother is even a Commander.
- Only Sane Employee: The one Fighter who doesn't want to start fights and actually behaves like a military.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Keeler's Sensitive Guy.
- Team Dad: Acts this way towards the Fighter.
- White Sheep: Out of all the Fighters, he is portrayed as the most mature, reasonable and down to earth.