All spoilers regarding the Prequel Trilogy, the Original Trilogy, and The Clone Wars are unmarked. Examples relating to Disney's EU and the new movies can be spoiler-tagged if deemed necessary.
Character page for the Sixty-First Mobile Infantry of the Rebel Alliance.
One of the best divisions of the Rebel Alliance army, Twilight Company is known for two things: getting the job done, and taking heavy casualties while doing it. During the Mid Rim Retreat, Twilight Company takes in a Imperial defector who offers her knowledge of the Empire's military infrastructure in exchange for asylum, which starts the unit down a dangerous path into the heart of the Imperial war machine.
- Badass Boast: Their motto: no matter how many casualties they take, Twilight keeps building back up and striking back at the Empire harder than ever.
- Elites Are More Glamorous: Averted. Twilight Company may be one of the best and most well-regarded units in the Alliance's army, but they are just a regular infantry unit and have subpar equipment in comparison to the Alliance Special Forces.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Most of the unit consists of recruits from the short recruiting drives the Company holds on every world they fight on to make up the losses they take. This tends to attract people who feel they have no place else to go and those with Rebel sympathies who feel like outsiders. Quite a few of them have a lot of issues they need to work out.
- True Companions: Twilight has very strong bonds, and although it is full of conflicting personalities who do not always get along, every member will always have the others' back.
Captain Micha "Howl" Evon
The founder of Twilight Company, Howl is a legendary Rebel officer famous both for his tactical genius and willingness to put his soldier's lives on the line against the Empire.
- Badass Beard: Has a thick black beard and is one of the Alliance's best commanders.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough: Has this dynamic with Hazram.
- The Captain: Practically worshiped by Twilight Company, and is considered one of the best unit commanders in the Rebel Alliance.
- Character Death: He is inside the Hoth command bunker when it gets hit, and debris hits him in the head. Chalis, Hazram, and the other Twilight soldiers at the base try to get him to safety, but Darth Vader tears through them and Howl dies from his injury.
- Cultured Warrior: He is very philosophical and knows a lot about history, architecture, music, strategy, and numerous other topics.
- In-Series Nickname: Known as Micha "Howling Mad" Evon, although that is usually cut down to just "Howl".
- Mysterious Past: The only person in the company who knows his history is Lieutenant Sairgon, and he refuses to talk about it. The rest of the company often speculate about what Howl did before he became a rebel.
- Officer and a Gentleman: Always completely polite and a model commander.
- Supporting Leader: Hazram is the protagonist of Twilight Company and commands the unit on the ground, while Howl is the one who develops their strategies and plans their next move.
A male human who is second-in-command of Twilight Company.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When the Thunderstrike is boarded by an Imperial infiltration team, Sairgon sacrifices himself so that he can send a message to the rest of the Rebel flotilla so they can escape before more Imperial forces arrive.
- Hidden Depths: Brand notes that although he never mentions it, Sairgon is an actor, musician, and historian, alongside a hundred other talents.
- Mauve Shirt: Gets some decent page time and notable personality traits, and dies off-page less than halfway through the book.
- Number Two: To Howl.
- Secret Keeper: He is the only member of Twilight Company who knows about Howl's past, but he refuses to share any details.
- The Stoic: Hazram notes that he keeps a granite expression most of the time and rarely lets any emotion show aside from irritation.
Chief Medic Von Geiz
The head medical officer of the unit, Von Geiz is among the nicer and more empathic members of Twilight Company.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Hazram thinks Von Geiz is the nicest guy in the unit, and is somewhat taken aback when Von Geiz suggests assassinating an Imperial officer they need to eliminate during the preparation to assault Kuat instead of attacking the base where he is stationed at.
- The Medic: Is the chief medical officer for Twilight Company, and is often seen treating its wounded members.
- Nice Guy: He is the friendliest member of the unit, and is nowhere near as cynical as the rest of the unit.
- Non-Action Guy: Being a medical officer, Von Geiz never gets involved in combat. This is also why he lets Hazram take command of the unit, despite Von Geiz being the highest-ranking surviving member of Twilight Company.
Twilight Company's quartermaster.
- Due to the Dead: He presides over all of Twilight Company's funerals, draining a power cell into Thunderstrike's system in their honor.
- Non-Action Guy: He does not fight on the frontlines, usually remaining on the Thunderstrike and only going on world in order to overseeing the gathering of supplies. He is forced to fight on Sullust after Thunderstrike is brought down, and serves as Hazram's adjutant during the battle.
First Sergeant Hazram Namir
The chief NCO of Twilight Company. Born on the remote Tionese colony of Crucival, Hazram spent his life fighting for one warlord after another, eventually joining Twilight Company after the Empire abandoned his militia when the Rebellion attacked the Imperial outpost on Crucival.
- Book Dumb: He never really received a education, and remains ignorant about a lot of general galactic knowledge. Hazram even thinks that Gadren is Corellian, not Besalisk, since he is from Corellia. He gets very defensive whenever a gap in his knowledge is exposed. That said, he is a quick learner, good at strategy, and has an excellent gut instinct about people's abilities.
- Break the Badass: Not only was he there on Hoth when Howl and two of his friends were killed in front of him, he was in the way of Darth Vader and saw how effective Vader was first hand. Having always dismissed the stories about Vader as being made up, Hazram is very shaken up.
- The Chains of Commanding: Once he's de facto leader of Twilight Company he really feels them weighing him down. As NCO he wanted to keep as many of his men alive as possible. As commander, he has to give orders that he knows will get some of them killed.
- Child Soldiers: He was a soldier ever since he was a kid, and likes to wryly remark that he has been a soldier longer than many of those serving in Twilight Company who are decades older than him. As a youth, he served several different factions, including the Empire (who only hired the locals to help repel the rebels) before joining the Rebel Alliance.
- The Cynic: He is not a true believer in the Rebel cause and is actually somewhat contemptuous of it. He is convinced that the leadership of the Rebellion consists of people who were vying for power with Palpatine at the end of the Clone Wars and lost, and that if the Empire is defeated the Rebel High Command will turn on each instantly attempting to take his place. Hazram is just fighting for them because he has been in war all his life and they are a better option than anyone else.
- Experienced Protagonist: Despite being younger than quite a few members of Twilight Company, Hazram probably has more experienced than most of them in a wide variety of skillsets.
- Fantastic Racism: He does not like droids much, believing it creepy that something mechanical could be sentient, and is confused by his comrades mourning the loss of droids on the Thunderstrike's crew.
- A Father to His Men: The soldiers of Twilight are everything to him. After the losses at Hoth and Howl's death, Hazram is terrified that the unit will split apart without a goal and that he will not be able to protect them all.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he doesn't believe in the ideals of the Rebellion and can be harsh on his comrades, Hazram's number one priority is keeping them all alive and ready to fight.
- The Mentor: One of his main tasks is training the new recruits to the unit. After Roach joins the unit, Hazram puts a lot of focus into training her.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Fights for the Rebellion because he dislikes how the Empire treated his mercenary force on Crucival, and never really gives much thought to the other much more horrors it has committed or the ideals held by the other Rebels. The events on Hoth, particularly his brief encounters with Han Solo and Darth Vader, get him to start reconsidering this, and then the Battle of Sullust brings him almost fully onboard with many of the Rebellion's ideals.
- Sergeant Rock: As the senior NCO of Twilight Company, Hazram is responsible for monitoring the well-being of its soldiers, and it is a duty he takes very seriously.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: When he first joins the Rebellion, he is surprised that the Rebels actually believe they are fighting for the freedom of people across the galaxy. Hazram is further stunned when he meets Howl and learns that he even believes that, having thought that Howl was manipulating them like so many other leaders Hazram had fought for.
- Revenge: When he first approached the Rebel lines on Crucival, Hazram considered killing as many of them as he could to avenge the friends from his militia who had died fighting them. Instead he decided to join up so he could get off of Crucival and fight with better weapons.
- Unscrupulous Hero: Has very few morals and lacks the same idealism the rest of the Rebellion has.
- Up Through the Ranks: Over the course of a few years he rises from private to captain.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Brand. Most of the exchanges between the two are arguments over Howl, sarcastic comments, and insults. They are also two of the closest people in the unit.
- You Are in Command Now: After Howl is killed at Hoth and the rest of the unit's officers are killed by an Imperial infiltration team, Hazram is unofficially made the unit commander due to being the senior NCO.
One of the longest-serving members of Twilight Company.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Easily the nicest member of the Company, he regularly charges into Imperial lines and tosses Stormtroopers around with his bare hands.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His kin were taken by the Empire, then sold to the Hutts to be slaves.
- Deadpan Snarker: Does not break out the snark often, but is very deadpan when he does.Namir: We're heading in. You hear screams, you know what to do.
Gadren: I will weep at your funerals, and after grieving I will requisition a grapple that can support my mass. Many lives will be saved in the future.
- Due to the Dead: When his squad finds dead civilians in the street of Haidoral Prime, Gadren takes the time to stop and close their eyes. Following the Battle of Sullust, he gives four funeral speeches for fallen members of Twilight Company, including Roach's.
- Handicapped Badass: He loses one of his arms to a grenade during the last hours of the Siege of Inyusu Tor.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Oh yeah. He is the largest and strongest member of Twilight Company, and routinely uses all four arms to toss around Imperials while in combat.
- Nice Guy: He is the most morally concerned member of Twilight Company, always being concerned about civilian casualties and the mental state of his comrades.
- Number Two: He becomes the unofficial second-in-command of Twilight under Hazram following the Battle of Sullust.
Born Lauren Mel Coelho on Tangenine, Brand is a former bounty hunter and is skilled with a sniper rifle. She joined the unit after initially infiltrating Twilight Company to claim the Imperial bounty on Howl.
- Action Girl: Might be the best female soldier in Twilight, possessing a varied skill set that few members, male or female, can match.
- Becoming the Mask: Her time with Twilight Company while waiting for an opportunity to kill Howl led to Brand forming attachments to some of its members against her better judgment, along with a respect for both Howl and the Rebellion's cause. When the time came to kill Howl, he managed to convince Brand in a couple of minutes to abandon that plan and join Twilight for real.
- Bounty Hunter: She worked as a bounty hunter for the Empire for over a decade, hunting down smugglers, crime lords, and other criminals. Eventually she grew weary of it, as the worst of her targets bought their freedom or allied with the Empire, while dissidents and minor criminals were given harsher penalties.
- Cool Gun: Owns a modified DX-2 disruptor pistol which is banned by the Alliance, not that Brand or the rest of Twilight Company care.
- Cold Sniper: Typically shows very little emotion and is the best sniper in the unit, taking up overwatch positions to cover her squadmates.
- Good Is Not Nice: She is cold, anti-social, and tends to be fairly blunt when she bothers expressing an opinion at all.
- HeelFace Turn: Started out as a bounty hunter who worked exclusively for the Empire and infiltrated Twilight Company so she could kill Howl, but ended up forging bonds with members of the unit and came to admire Howl.
- I Work Alone: As a sniper, she tends to separate off from her squad and provide them covering fire while also taking down any other targets of opportunity that pop up.
- The Mole: Her initial reason for joining Twilight Company. It didn't last, however.
- No Social Skills: She does not really engage in the whole social bonding thing unless she has had a couple of drinks, and she only really interacts with a handful of people who she feels somewhat close to. Brand also tries to avoid getting too attached to new people in the company since they tend to eventually die while she does not.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Most of the bounties she took while working for the Empire targeted the criminal organization responsible for killing her parents. Among the last targets she killed for the Empire was the Falleen personally responsible.
- Undying Loyalty: To Howl, who she regards as a great man and tactical genius.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Namir. Most of the exchanges between the two are arguments over Howl, sarcastic comments, and insults. They are also two of the closest people in the unit.
Homeworld: Haidoral Prime
A teenager from Haidoral Prime who joins Twilight Company when the Rebels recruit locals before departing the planet.
- Character Death: She is killed during the last hours of the Battle of Sullust. Gadren was the only one who saw her die, and he tells Namir that she heroically shrugged off several blaster bolts in order to stop a speeder bike filled with explosives from crashing into the Rebel lines.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was a spice addict and was placed into an Imperial detention facility for six months. Roach is still going through withdrawal when she joins Twilight.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gadren claims her demise was one, and Namir does not question him about it further because he does not want to know if the truth is worse.
- New Meat: Doesn't even know how to fire a blaster when she joins Twilight Company. Hazram take her under his wing and begins training her into a soldier.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Tells the unit to call her Roach and never mentions her actual name.
- Recovered Addict: Quite spice shortly before leaving Haidoral Prime, and struggles through withdrawal during her first few weeks with Twilight Company.
- Took a Level in Badass: Under Hazram's tutelage, Roach becomes a very capable soldier and scout.
Sergeant Pol "Charmer" Andrissus
A former Imperial cadet, Charmer defected to the Rebellion alongside several of his classmates.
- Covered in Scars: His face was heavily scarred after he was caught in an explosion on Blacktar Cyst.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Burned alive alongside two of his soldiers during the Battle of Mardona.
- Designated Point Man: He takes the lead when the squad is going into a dangerous situation or potential ambush. Namir is surprised he still does so after the ambush on Blacktar Cyst maimed him.
- MookFace Turn: He was a former Imperial soldier before defecting to the Rebellion shortly after leaving the Imperial Academy.
- In-Series Nickname: Called "Charmer" because of his good looks and luck with picking up women, although both ended after he was badly wounded and developed a stutter. He still went by his old nickname though.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Everyone calls him Charmer, with his real name only being mentioned during his memorial service.
- Verbal Tic: Developed a bad stutter after shrapnel entered his brain during the Battle of Blacktar Cyst.
A female human and one of the longest serving sergeants in the Company. Twitch is a heavy weapons expert and one of the best sabacc players in the unit.
- Action Girl: She is one of the toughest members of Twilight, living through several harrowing battles and later making it out of an Imperial occupied city by herself after being surrounded.
- Due to the Dead: Speaks at Ajax's funeral, and later gets into a fight with another soldier who blamed Ajax for Fektrin's death.
- No One Left Behind: When two of her squad members are cut off from the rest of the scouting party in Pinyumb, Twitch tries to rescue them rather than leave with the other scouts. She fails, but manages to survive and make her way back to the unit.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: She is always referred to as Twitch and her actual name is never mentioned.
- Sole Survivor: She is the only member of her squad to survive the novel.
A human female from Thession.
- Action Girl: She is a skilled soldier who Hazram trusts enough to pick her for a "death squad" hunting an Imperial tank crew during the Battle of Mardona.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: In thanks to Hazram for saving her life, Maediyu accompanies him as his bodyguard on a couple dangerous missions.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: During the Battle of Nakadia, Maediyu and her squad are caught in a bioweapon attack. She dies an agonizing death as her body becomes covered in painful rashes. She also goes out of her mind, thinking that Hazram is her mother.
- I Owe You My Life: Hazram finds her unconscious in a burning corridor when the Thunderstrike takes damage during an Imperial ambush and gets her to safety. Maediyu does her best to pay him back for this by becoming very deferential to him and protecting him on several missions.
Homeworld: Haidoral Prime
A new recruit to the Company from Haidoral.
- Covered in Scars: His arms are badly burned by an Imperial tank armed with a flamethrower on Mardona.
- Distinguishing Mark: Has a harsh red birthmark that covers half his face.
- New Meat: One of nineteen recruits from Haidoral who join Twilight Company's frontline units.
- Revenge: Shortly after Twilight Company leaves Haidoral, Corbo is caught with a knife near Governor Chalis' cell. He admits to Hazram that he was not sure if he was really going to kill her or not, and explains that although she did many terrible things during her reign as governor the one thing he could not forgive was her giving an order to kill felinxs in Haidoral's capital city after a lot of them turned feral, an order which ended up killing his pet.
- Sole Survivor: The rest of his squad is killed during the Battle of Mardona when it is ambushed by an Imperial tank.