All spoilers regarding the Prequel Trilogy, the Original Trilogy, and The Clone Wars are unmarked. Examples relating to Disney's EU and the new movies can be spoiler-tagged if deemed necessary.
Tropes specifically applying to the characters based on their appearances in Star Wars Legends can be found here.
General Jan Dodonna
Dodonna was a veteran of the Clone Wars who joined the Rebellion. As Sector Commander of the Rebel base on Yavin 4, he devised the attack on the first Death Star after receiving the plans to the battle station. Following the Mon Cala merchant fleet joining the Rebellion and their ships being retrofitted into warships, Dodonna took command of the Alliance's flagship, the MC80a cruiser Republic.
- Big "WHAT?!": Lets one loose when he receives a message from Leia informing him that she has left Yavin 4 to locate and help the few Alderaanians who remain after he had forbidden her from leaving the safety of the Rebel forces.
- The Cameo:
- Chekhov's Gunman: He is mentioned in the first episode of Rebels Season 3 as being the leader of the rebel cell on Yavin 4. He and Senator Mothma would appear in person later on in the season.
- Death by Adaptation: In Legends, Dodonna died peacefully on New Alderaan long after the Empire was defeated. In canon, Dodonna was killed between the Battles of Yavin and Hoth.
- Defector from Decadence: After the Clone Wars ended and the Republic transformed into the Empire, Dodonna served as one of the first Imperial Star Destroyer captains. However, he quickly became opposed to the Empire's brutality and defected.
- Heroic Sacrifice: During the Battle of Mako-Ta Dodonna's cruiser was the only one to escape. Luke and Leia convinced him to return and attempt to free the other disabled ships, and the Republic distracted Vader's Death Squadron long enough for the Rebel pilots to get to the stranded vessels and reactive them. Sadly, the Republic engines were crippled and Dodonna and his crew perished, although they saved the rest of the Rebel fleet.
- Million-to-One Chance: According to the novelization of A New Hope, when he outlines the plan for the first and second runs in the briefing room, one of the pilots asks "What if both runs fail? What happens after that?" Dodonna's reply: "There won't be any after that", meaning that there won't be a third chance, because if both runs failed, the Death Star would blast the Yavin moon and the Rebel base out of existence and they would suffer the same fate as Alderaan.
- Minor Major Character: He is in charge of the Rebels in A New Hope, but the only thing of note that he does is reveal the Death Star's weakness.
- Old Soldier: He's a very elderly general, but still very capable of planning and overseeing the Rebels' attack on the first Death Star.
- Rebel Leader: He leads the Rebels on Yavin and plans the assault on the Death Star, and after the Rebel victory he then oversees the evacuation and search for a new base for the Rebellion. He outranks even Admiral Ackbar as supreme commander of the Rebel's military.
- The Strategist: Using the Death Star plans, Dodonna devises a plan of attack to destroy the Death Star with only a few squadrons of starfighters.
General Carlist Rieekan
An Alderaanian veteran of the Clone Wars and one of the founders of the Rebellion, Rieekan served as the commander of Echo Base on the ice world of Hoth. He oversaw the evacuation of the base when the Empire discovered and attacked it. Following the Battle of Hoth, Rieekan helped oversee the search for a new Rebel headquarters and planning subsequent campaigns against the Empire, including the Battles of Endor and Jakku.
- Doomed Homeworld: He is from Alderaan and survived its destruction due to being off-planet at the time.
- Four-Star Badass: Alongside Leia, he plans the evacuation of Echo Base, which is extremely successful despite the massive Imperial fleet attacking the planet, with most of the Rebels escaping to rendezvous with the main fleet.
- Jumped at the Call: When Shirv and Zay show up to recruit him for the Resistance, Rieekan does not hesitate to rejoin Leia to fight the First Order.
- Old Soldier: He is a veteran of the Clone Wars, meaning he has been involved in galactic conflicts for more than twenty years. By the time of the war against the First Order, Rieekan is fairly ancient but still determined to see the successor state of the Empire defeated.
- Reasonable Authority Figure:
- When Han informs Rieekan that he is leaving to pay off the bounty on his head, Rieekan is disappointed but understanding of his decision and wishes Han luck, rather than getting upset like Leia does.
- In Lost Stars, he takes the revelation that Thane Kyrell went back to his homeworld help his friend in the Imperial Navy with a family crisis surprisingly well. Rieekan only yells a little bit before ordering Thane and his ship scanned and leaving with a snarky comment.
- Shipper on Deck: For Han and Leia. He was one of the few people at Echo Base who placed money on them getting together in the control room's betting pool.
- Supporting Leader: He is the commander of the Rebels seen at Echo Base in The Empire Strikes Back, which includes the main characters.
General Vanden Willard
A Rebel General stationed at Yavin 4, who greets Leia when she arrives.
- Advertised Extra: Downplayed. His actor is given billing in the film's credits (though not on the poster), despite only being on screen for maybe 20 seconds and having his only line dubbed over.
- Death by Adaptation: In Legends, he survived to serve the New Republic. In Canon, he is destroyed along with his ship by the Executor between the Battles of Yavin and Hoth.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: He is in the middle of ordering his ship evacuated and wishing for the Force to be with his crew when it explodes.
Commander Toryn Farr
A communications officer stationed at Echo Base alongside her sister Somac, a pilot in Rogue Squadron.
- A Day in the Limelight: The short story "Ion Control" from the second volume of From A Certain Point of View focuses on Toryn.
- Good with Numbers: She taught herself trigonometry in order to precisely calculate shots from the ion cannon, which included memorizing how fast the ion blast travels, and developed a perfect instinct on when to fire it.
- Knight in Sour Armor: She was becoming one before the Battle of Hoth, as she was becoming increasingly depressed by the conditions at Echo Base and the belief that the Rebellion was just surviving on luck after years of close calls and that no hope remained for victory. Despite those feelings, Toryn continued to do her job and was responsible for helping ensure the successful evacuation of Echo Base.
- Mission Control: She helps direct the evacuation of Echo Base and oversees firing the ion cannon at the Star Destroyers orbiting Hoth.
- Side Bet: She is part of Echo Base's betting pool on Han and Leia's relationship. Her money is on Han making a move on Leia but getting shot down by the Princess.
A strategist and soldier who helped plan the Alliance's assault on Endor. Decades later he left retirement to join the Resistance's struggle against the First Order.
- Ascended Extra: He was just a background character in Return of the Jedi, but his unique look made him something of a fan-favorite and he has gone on to make additional appearances that fleshed out his background and personality.
- The Cameo: He is briefly seen in an issue of Doctor Aphra when she observes a high-level Rebel meeting.
- Eyepatch of Power: Wears an eyepatch over a missing eye, although the circumstances in which he lost it are unknown.
- Old Soldier: Although its unclear how long Dressellians live, by the time he joins the Resistance Orrimaarko is at least around sixty-years old but ready to continue the fight against the Empire's legacy.
- The Strategist: Although he is also an experienced soldier, his primary talents lay in planning, and he was key to developing the ground assault on Endor. Leia is very pleased when he joins the Resistance, as most of their strategists had perished at Crait.
Captain Alexsandr Kallus
61st Mobile Infantry
Special Operations and Forces
General Crix Madine
A general from Corellia in charge of the Alliance's Special Operations Division. Following the Battle of Endor and the establishment of the New Republic, Madine was made the commander of the New Republic Special Forces.
- All There in the Manual: His first name and homeworld were first established in the canon reference book Ultimate Star Wars.
- Defector from Decadence: He used to be an Imperial officer.
- Frontline General: Participates in the Battle of Endor, and volunteers to be the commando who accompanies Leia's team on Operation: Yellow Moon, but gets denied due to being needed to plan the assault on the second Death Star.
- Minor Major Character: Similar to General Dodonna, only he discusses the plans regarding the second Death Star instead of the first. He has a more prominent role outside of the films.
- Oh, Crap!: He is shocked when Mothma, Ackbar, and Cracken reveal the Empire is building another Death Star to him and other Alliance commanders.
- Schrödinger's Canon: He defected from the Empire because he had was remorseful for following commands to knowingly release a biological weapon on innocent people.
- Uncertain Doom: At the end of Life Debt, Madine is rumored to be among the dead after the Liberation Day attack on Chandrila. However, he is not mentioned in the next novel of the trilogy, leaving his fate at the moment unknown.
A highly skilled Dressellian resistance fighter turned Alliance commando. While initially assigned to command the ground operation on Endor, he is pulled from the team during the planning stages in order to assist Leia Organa during Operation: Yellow Moon.
- Anti-Hero: Has no problem with Operation: Yellow Moon putting people sympathetic to the Alliance in danger for no reason other than to distract the Empire, noting that such risks are part of any war. Lok also believes that even non-military personnel serving the Empire should be put on mass trial and punished after the war ends.
- Badass Normal: He spent years fighting the Empire even before joining the Alliance, and has become a very capable and deadly warrior skilled in all forms of combat and subterfuge.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: His relationship with Kidi eventually evolves into this, and they act upon their feelings in the last stage of their mission.
- The Big Guy: His role in Operation: Yellow Moon is to protect the other team members from any threats that may emerge.
- Defrosting Ice King: Starts off with a distant and antagonistic relationship with the other Rebels assigned to Operation: Yellow Moon, but eventually becomes friendlier and nicer to them.
- Deadpan Snarker: Frequently makes insulting quips about the team's mission, the planets they visit, and the other team members themselves.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Activates a EMP device that is implanted in his chest after the team is captured and taken aboard the Shieldmaiden, which knocks out power to most of the ship and incapacitates most of the stormtroopers on the ship, allowing the others to escape from the crippled vessel.
- Humanoid Alien: Dressellians like Lok have the basic human body shape but a distinctly alien appearance.
- In-Series Nickname: Called "Lok" for short.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He is a pragmatic and hardened commando who thinks that anybody serving the Empire, no matter how lowly, should be put on trial after the war and either sentenced to jail or shot. He is also fairly antagonistic towards Kidi but tells Leia that he is simply trying to toughen her up because he is worried she might freeze up in a combat situation and get killed.
- Majorly Awesome: Holds the rank of major in the Alliance's elite special forces and is regarded as one of their most skilled commandos.
- Secret Keeper: Aside from Leia, Lok is the only other member of Operation: Yellow Moon who knows that the true purpose of the mission is not to recruit new members of the Alliance, but to instead distract the Empire from the Rebel fleet gathering at Sullust.
Sergeant Major Jom Barell
A human male in the New Republic SpecForce, Barell is sent with a team to Akiva to determine if the world is hosting a conference of high-ranking Imperials.
- Badass Beard: Has thick muttonchops that connect to a bushy mustache.
- Badass in Distress: During the insurgency on Kashyyyk he is captured and tortured by Grand Moff Lozen Tolruck.
- Drowning My Sorrows: After the events of Kashyyyk get him kicked out of the army.
- Eye Scream: One of his eyes is cut out by Tolruck.
- Handicapped Badass: Breaks his arm after a rough drop onto Akiva, and then proceeds to tear through multiple Stormtroopers before capturing a turbo laser emplacement singlehandedly.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Saves his U-Wing troop transport from a missile during the Battle of Jakku by using a jetpack to fly himself into the missile's path.
- Reality Ensues: His participation to the Liberation of Kashyyyk was unauthorized, so he was discharged from the army when he returned. It was a honorary discharge because the operation was both just and successful, but it's a discharge all the same.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: His relationship with Jas begins with the two of them engaging in a brawl over his suspicions about her loyalty before winding up in her quarters.
- Sixth Ranger: He never meets the rest of the heroes during Battle of Akiva, but following the battle he joins Norra, Jas, Sinjir, Temmin, and Mister Bones as part of a unit assigned to hunt down Imperial war criminals.
- Sole Survivor: He is the only member of his team to survive the drop onto Akiva.
Sergeant Kes Dameron
A human male soldier, Kes joined the Rebellion alongside his wife Shara. He served in the Alliance's special forces as part of their elite Pathfinders. During the Battle of Endor, Kes' unit was assigned to General Han Solo's commando team.
- Badass Beard: Has a small chin beard.
- Badass Normal: He is a member of an elite Alliance special forces unit who was skilled enough to be sent on the mission to Endor.
- Happily Married: To Shara.
- Retired Badass: He and Shara leave the Alliance military a few months after Endor and settle on Yavin 4.
- Was It Really Worth It?: According to his son, Poe, Kes became somewhat disillusioned by the peace established with the remnants of the Empire by the New Republic. He felt that by not finishing the job, the New Republic had made all the sacrifices to defeat the Empire meaningless and given it the opportunity to eventually rise again, leading Kes to wonder if he and Shara would have been better off not joining the Rebellion and simply spending time with Poe.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: As of this writing, there's not much on what happened to him after the defeat of the Empire, followed by Shara's death six years after. He's apparently still around by the time the First Order-Resistance conflict starts up, wondering if his and Shara's efforts even meant anything to the original Galactic Civil War if another is beginning again.
An Iakaru warrior who joined the Rebellion six months prior to the Battle of Scarif, during which he serves as a gunner aboard Laren Joma's U-Wing.
- Alien Hair: The Wookiee variety. Bistan is quite furry, but he's wearing tactical gear over it.
- Affectionate Nickname: Laren Joma calls him "Space Monkey".
- Big Damn Heroes: He is part of the Rebel reinforcements who arrive to aide Rogue One's assault on the Scarif Citadel.
- Blood Knight: While eager to defeat the Empire and free his homeworld Iakar from their rule, Bistan relishes combat more than his ideals and is just happy to have a good fight on his hands.
- Character Death: He is killed along with Laren Joma when her U-Wing is shot down.
- People in Rubber Suits: The character was achieved by a mixture of this and remote puppetry.
- Rock Beats Laser: When he helped a rebel SpecForce team on his homeworld steal medical supplies from the Empire, Bistan used rocks and spears which he threw with pinpoint accuracy. The commandos were so impressed with him that they invited him to join the Rebellion.
- Thrill Seeker: He is described as an adrenaline junkie. He loves nothing more than the feeling of his repeating blaster firing away as he soars above a battlefield in a U-Wing.
- See her entry in Star Wars - Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries: New Republic Era page.