The character sheets for the Star Ocean series:
- Star Ocean: First Departure
- Star Ocean: The Second Story / The Second Evolution
- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope
- Star Ocean: Integrity And Faithlessness
- Star Ocean: Anamnesis
Voiced by (Japanese): Tomoe Hanba
Voiced by (English): Melissa Fahn (First Departure and The Second Evolution), Julie Maddalena (Till the End of Time), Laura Bailey (The Last Hope), Sarah Pitard (Anamnesis)
A young girl with a peculiar sense of style who always carries around a big pointer. A self-designated creator, she claims that she builds various useful items, but the details are unknown. She semi-forcefully decides to join Claude and the others on their venture.
- The Blacksmith: In some games, she appears as a NPC responsible for Item Crafting.
- Brainy Brunette: In Till the End of Time, as a member of Peterny's Craftsman's Guild, Welch is very knowledgeable about her trade and tells you how to get started. She even fronts you 1,000 Fol in seed money, to help you open your first workshop. From then on, she'll update you on various items and inventions that have gone on sale and alerts you to when craftsmen are available for recruiting.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: In The Last Hope, Welch slacks off, performs cosplay while on duty and pulls pranks but she is still a good support operative and efficient synthesis aid.
- Crash-Into Hello: In Second Evolution. Notable in that she falls from the sky and on top of Claude/Rena...
- Crutch Character: In Second Evolution. Depending on your party makeup, Lv.30 Welch can be recruited while your main team is only half that level. Sure, they catch up to her, but...
- Erotic Dream: There is a skit in Till the End of Time where she's asleep at her desk. During which, she's apparently dreaming of having a make-out session, since she can be heard making kissing sounds in between playfully telling whoever she's with to stop. Followed by, "not here".
- Genki Girl: She's always cheerful and upbeat.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her usual hairstyle. Subverted in The Last Hope, in which she has purple hair tied by a single ribbon.
- Improbable Weapon User: Sticks with a pointing hand at the end.
- Meganekko: Wear glasses in the fourth game.
- Mysterious Past: Her origin is unknown, but she is implied to be a 4D being. In Till the End of Time, this would explain how she has a compact communicator, which is far too advanced for Elicoor II's level of technology. It'd also explain the similarity between the way she dresses and Blair's attire. And it could be the reason she's always the same age in each game, since The Eternal Sphere is a virtual reality MMORPG.
- Nice Gal: Very friendly. In The Last Hope, she continues to help the crew after they are abandoned by the USTA.
- Optional Party Member: She can be recruited in the Updated Re Release version of the first and second games.
- Otaku: In Second Evolution, you can go to a "fanfic" (doujinshi) sale in Fun City. In one Private Action, Welch will drag Claude there forcibly. And she is very...ahem...familiar with the various genres.
- Plucky Comic Relief: She provides a good portion of the fourth's game humor.
- Promoted to Playable: Welch appears as a playable character in First Departure, Second Evolution and Anamnesis.
- Recurring Character: Welch appears in every Star Ocean game starting from the third game. She's non-existant in the original versions of the first and second game, but when both got remade, she made it to both.
- A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside an Enigma: Puffy and Ruddle Crispin are the only other characters to appear in every game, but like everything else concerning Welch's background, what it could mean and whether there's any connection remains unknown.
- Screwy Squirrel: In 4, she enjoys trolling the crew of the Calnus.
- Shipper on Deck: In 4, Welch ships Edge and Reimi. She also shows great interest in Faize and Lymle after they accidentally kiss.
- Significant Birth Date: According to Anamnesis, her birthday is on April Fools' Day.
- Tomboy: The game's dictionary feature defines her as "a beautiful, if tomboyish, young operator who provides external support for the Calnus from the USTA's Earth headquarters."
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Welch has purple hair in the fourth game. However, since she only appears via hologram, no one actually knows if the image they see is what she really looks like.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: In The Last Hope, Welch speaks to the crew through a holographic projector, but she serves the same purpose.
- Lethal Joke Weapon: In 2, he grants you a Scumbag Slayer, a otherwise pathetic, sword that kills any enemy with Scumbag in its name.
- No Sense of Direction: A Running Gag in the series. Ruddle is lost and asks the player for directions.
- Recurring Character: Appears in every Star Ocean game.
- Unexpected Virgin: Claims to have never had a girlfriend.