Characters from the 2013 all-CGI movie.
Crew of the Arcadia
The immortal captain of the ghost ship Arcadia, he has been raiding Gaia Coalition bases for a hundred years. He is infamous across space, and utterly ruthless when it comes to his enemies. His past is largely unknown, however, and he remains shrouded in mystery.
- The Atoner: He accidentally rendered the Earth uninhabitable in an attempt to protect it from the hypocritical Gaia Coalition elites trying to live on it. He's willing to destroy the entire universe and let a new one be born to make up for it.
- Byronic Hero: A Tall, Dark, and Handsome Dark Messiah with a Dark and Troubled Past? Maybe it's all the Dark Matter...
- Cool Sword: A long metal foil with some kind of energy discharge ability, as well as a gun.
- Fallen Hero: Before he abused the power of Dark Matter to (accidentally) turn Earth into a complete wasteland, Harlock was said to have been a particularly idealistic soldier with strong leadership qualities, who defended Earth with his very soul. However, $&*# happens, as the saying goes...
- Good Is Not Nice: He is distant, cold, ruthless, and willing to throw potential crewmembers off his ship for simply not coming up with the right answer fast enough. He's also the only one working to actually improve humanity's lot in the universe.
- Manipulative Bastard: He turns out to have been one of these all along when it is revealed that his true goal has long been to destroy the universe, rather than to restore it to a "better" time in the distant past. He seems largely at peace with lying by omission and making liberal use of Metaphorical Truth to mislead his followers into truly believing that they are striving for a much nicer goal, in order to keep them blissfully ignorant and working on his side.
Yama (Logan in English) is a Gaia Coalition spy who earned his way onto the Arcadia by claiming that pirates sail for freedom. He fights to please his brother, a Gaia Coalition admiral, who he crippled in an accident.
- The Atoner: He crippled his brother and did worse to his brother's girlfriend in an accident when his plants were dying. His brother forced him to work for him to make up for it.
- Audience Surrogate: He largely exists to ask questions to the crew, such as "How does the ship work?" and "Why are we dropping a giant bomb on an uninhabited planet?" His character arc is still at the center of the movie, however.
- Foreshadowing: He wears a suit similar to that of Harlock's uniform, minus the Badass Cape. Guess who takes the mantle of Harlock at the end of the movie?
- The Mole: He was put on the Arcadia to find out everything he could about the ship, and kill Harlock if possible. Harlock knew about this the entire time.
- Ship Tease: With Kei. She's the one who saves him from falling the first time he gets on the ship, and she's the one responsible for teaching him his duties as a member of the crew. When the two have their lives in danger on the corrosive gas planet and Logan throws Kei to safety, appearing to have sacrificed his own life so she could live, Kei is very distraught at the thought of the ship leaving him behind.
- Also with Nami. They're shown as downright adorable Childhood Friends in a Flashback, and even Ezra is plagued with jealousy over the idea that Nami's motivation behind feeding the Arcadia classified Gaia information, despite being Ezra's wife, could have been because she was in love with Logan instead of him. Logan himself is shown to care for Nami a lot and breaks down when he finds out she passed away.
The last member of the only alien species humanity has ever encountered, Miime is the one who gave the Arcadia its dark matter drive, and is still in charge of controlling it. She is Harlock's closest confidant.
The only female human member of the Arcadia's crew, Kei is Harlock's trusted lieutenant. She is deeply loyal to him, and follows him faithfully.
- Action Girl: Cuts through the enemy at least as well as the boys in their hardsuits, despite wearing just a basic spacesuit herself.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She has a blatantly obvious crush on the Captain. Yullian calls her on it when the whole crew is arguing and is promptly fed a mouthful of fist.
- Ms. Fanservice: Skin-tight spacesuit, luscious curves, zero-gee shower scene...
- Ship Tease: With Logan. She's the one who saves him from falling the first time he gets on the ship, and she's the one responsible for teaching him his duties as a member of the crew. At first, she berates him constantly, but is shown eventually to have grown a soft side for him.
- With Yullian. The two are well familiar with each other due to sailing together for so long, and Yullian gets very protective over her at times. We also have his lowkey jealousy over her crush on the Captain.
The Arcadia's big and boisterous lieutenant, Yullian is possibly second in command of the ship (he might be behind Kei, it's a little unclear), and always good for a joke.
- The Big Guy: Wields a giant axe in his hardsuit, and a big gun outside it.
- Ship Tease: With Kei. The two are well familiar with each other due to sailing together for so long, and he gets very protective over her at times. We also have his lowkey jealousy over her crush on the Captain.
- The Smart Guy: Surprisingly, he's also the ship's hacker.
Logan's brother, he was crippled in an accident years ago, and is confined to a hover-chair. He is the one who sent Logan to the Arcadia, and is in charge of keeping it as far from Earth as possible.
Ezra's girlfriend, who quietly but openly disapproves of how he treats his brother. She was present at the accident that lost him his legs.
- Robotic Reveal: Ezra got off easy. She was very nearly killed by the accident, and is confined to a life support pod. She uses a hologram to interact with the world.
- Silk Hiding Steel: There are hints of it at the beginning, with her sharp words regarding Ezra's treatment of Logan, but later she sends Logan vital intelligence to break through the blockade, and baits Ezra into pulling her plug when he confronts her.