A list of the denizens of Kingo Islands of Soul Hunter
To return to the main character index, go here.
Watch out for spoilers!
One of the three Great Sennin, Tsuten Kyoshu is the leader of Kingo Islands, a Sennin World whose inhabitants are mostly monsters. He's surprisingly affable and level-headed, though the heroes expect him to be an enemy, since both Bunchu and Dakki have ties with him and Kingo. In truth, he was brainwashed by Dakki and lost most of his intellect and mind, becoming nothing more than an empty puppet of Ohtenkun and Dakki. During the Sennin War arc, he's revealed to be Youzen's real father, fights his son but dies in the fall of the island.
- Badass Cape: He wears a massive black cape which is seemingly made of darkness and is, in fact, his Super Paopei.
- Badass Moustache: His most distinctive feature are a pair of nice bushy moustache, and he's among the strongest Sennin in the world.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: When Bunchu is finally admitted to his presence, Tsuten Kyoshu is shown to be absent minded and keeps repeating the same orders as if he's suffering from dementia. Turns out, Dakki brainwashed him with Keisei Genjo and Ohtenkun orders him around, forcing him to fight his own son Youzen.
- Cessation of Existence: The effects of the Paopei Rikukonhan (Banner of the Six Souls): the cloth will crush and destroy everything wrapped inside, including the very soul. Youzen refers to it as the cruelest Super Paopei.
- Cool Sword: Seen wielding an odd-looking oval blade with a handle in the middle when he fights Youzen.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Dies in Youzen's arms, sadly still muttering the same sentence he said to Bunchuu
- Didn't Think This Through: When he was given Oh Eki he didn't want to risk him being harmed by Kingo's Youkai Sennin, but the best solution he could devise was to put him in a prison for some time. There, Oh Eki undergoes a Sanity Slippage, is corrupted by Dakki and has his soul split in three, two of said parts used to create the Youkai Sennin Ohtenkun.
- Good Is Not Nice: Surprisingly reasonable and decent, his Paopei can completely erase you from the Earth, soul included.
- Heartbroken Badass: Implied to be the case in Youzen's flashback, when he, essentially, rejects his true father. Kyoshu doesn't show emotion, but it's implied he was hit hard by this.
- Hostage Situation: Fearing the worst after Dakki's rebellion, he bargained for a mutual non-aggression pact with Konron and left his own son Youzen as an hostage. In return, Genshi Tenson sent his pupil Oh Eki to Kingo.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Youzen is his son, though in this case they both know.
- Mask Power: When he fights seriously he dons an odd black mask over his face.
- Monster Lord: Kingo Island is mostly populated by Youkai Sennin and Youkai, but he can allow humans to train there (such as Bunchuu, the Shisei and Chou Kei). On the other hand, Tsuten Kyoshu himself doesn't seem to be a Youkai at all.
- Papa Wolf: Even maddened and with King Island falling to pieces around him, he uses the last of his strength to protect Youzen.
- Puppet King: Due to his apparent senility, Ohtenkun admits that Kingo Doshi aren't allowed to see him and the Juttenkun pretty much run the place.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: In spite of being the leader of a Sennin World filled with human-hating monsters, he's polite and corteous, even with intruders.
- Redemption Equals Death: Recovers enough sanity to protect his son from the falling debris, but is crushed himself and dies soon after.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Youzen finally recognizes him as his father in his face, Tsuten Kyoshu snaps and has a breakdown. According to Youzen, is because Dakki's technique wasn't perfect.
Paopei: Bakuryuusaku, Kinkosen
A youkai of Kingo Islands and a wielder of the super paopei Kinkousen. He is also the older brother of Unshou, Keishou and Hekishou. A man with a pronounced flair for the dramatic, he forces Taikobou and his gang to fight him by kidnapping Suupuushan, Kou Hiko, Ki Hatsu and Doukouson.
His true form is that of a colossal thousand years old lily flower, which is incredibly more dangerous than it sounds. He also owns the Super Paopei Kinkosen, recognized as the second strongest Paopei after Raikouben.
- A Glass of Chianti: Chou Komei is rarely seen without a glass of wine.
- Affably Evil: He's a dick, but he's incredibly polite, affable and easy going. When Taikoubou reaches him and frees Suupuushan he's nice enough to offer them a lavish tofu dinner and have a chat about their goals before finally challenging Taikoubou.
- Attention Whore: He's the guy who spent 1000 years to make a giant projector Paopei to interact with his victims. Taikoubou thinks that those 1000 years were wasted.
- Blood Knight: He planted the seeds of conflict between the opposing Sennin forces just so he could fight his enemies freely.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Endlessly, with the most significant instance being him running the ending credits once he believes he has defeated Taikobou and publishing his own manga starting from the following chapter.
- Co-Dragons: A millenia and a half before the story takes place, he and Dakki fulfilled that role for Tsuuten Kyoshu.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The result of him challenging Genshitenson was, as the narrator puts it, a glorious defeat.
- Evil Costume Switch: Parodied, when he faces Taikoubou he assumes his "real form" as Black Chou Koumei, but it's just him with black hair and clothes.
- Flower Motifs: Wild lilies and roses. In the former's case, it's because he's one himself.
- Graceful Loser: When Taikoubou kills him, he compliments him for his victory and ascends to the Houshindai, escorted by a battalion of angels.
- Hidden Depths: He knew about Joka all along.
- Hostage Situation: He loves to challenge strong warriors by kidnapping their beloved or friends and keeping them hostage.
- Hypocrite: He kidnapped and imprisoned Suupuushan into an hourglass slowly filling with sand. When Suupuushan asked him to let him go, Chou Komei said that if Taikobou doesn't make it in time to free him, then Suupuu will die, because that is the rule of battle. He then has the audacity to say that Suupuushan's fate is out of his hands, to which Suupuu angrily replies that it was him who put him there in the first place.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: His Super Paopei Kinkosen (Golden Dragon's Shears) allows him to summon giant energy dragons to attack his opponents. In his hands, he can summon seven dragons, one for each color of the rainbow.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The dragons summoned resemble classical eastern dragons, but he can also merge them into a single multicolored one resembling an oversized insect.
- Kick the Dog: Turns Suupuushan into stone to force Taikoubou to fight him and keeps targetting the statue during the fight.
- Kill It with Ice: As part of his logical weakness in plant form: any plant exposed to a certain temperature becomes as fragile as glass. Taikoubou uses his revived Dashinben and the glacial winds from the mesosphere to freeze Chou Komei to death.
- Large Ham: He is incredibly dramatic and loves attention, beauty and luxury. He will go to great lengths to make sure his fights take place in the most dramatic and appropriate settings. He even brings his luxury liner to the human world so that Taikobou would fight him on it.
- Manly Tears: Displays them when he believes he has houshined Taikobou.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Is always richly and imppecably dressed and prefers expensive furniture and fine wine.
- One-Winged Angel: When cornered and unable to use Kinkosen, he reverts to his true form: a colossal, ever-expanding lily flower with his face on it. He planned to use it as his ace in the sleeve for the rematch with Genshi Tenson.
- Shear Menace: The Paopei Kinkosen. Ironic, considering that his true form is a plant.
- Shout-Out: His introduction his a parody of The Rose of Versailles.
- Spirited Competitor: He finds peace boring, and practically lives for challenges.
- Walking Wasteland: In his Youkai Form he can drain water and nutrients from the earth and turn fertile ground into a desert.
- Whip It Good: His main Paopei Bakuryuusaku (Dragon-binding Rope) is an extensible whip he uses as a rapier.
Venus, Queen and Madonna (Unsho, Keisho, Hekisho)
Paopei: Kinkosen, Kongen Kinto, Mysterious Veil, Kyukyoku Kogajin
Chou Koumei's sisters, self-proclaimed beautiful princesses of the Sennin World, they're actually a trio of incredibly ugly women consisting in a huge muscled woman, a short hag-like crone and a sweet-eating fat woman. Despite their looks and eccentric behaviours, they're among the strongest Sennin Kingo has to offer.After Chou Koumei's defeat Venus, who has fallen in love with Taikoubou, decides to join the heroes and help Konron.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Venus is under the delusion that Taikoubou loves her, and claims to be his bethroded.
- Bare Your Midriff: Madonna, unfortunately.
- Berserk Button: Do not point out how man-like Venus is. A few Youkai Sennin gets houshined for this.
- Big Eater: Madonna is costantly eating sweets from a bag, and is capable of throwing terrible tantrums when deprived of food. Since she's a Youkai Sennin, she can have cases of cannibalism. She forces the entire Yin army to withdraw because in a few days she ate all the food.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: They're silly, vain and firmly believe they're the hottest sennyo ever. That being said, even powerful sennin such as Ohtenkun and Nento Dojin recognize their power.
- Dumb Muscle: Madonna is the dumbest and most brutal of the three, though she's usually too busy to eat to do anything.
- Gonk: All three of them are unsightly and awful. They do, however, think they're beautiful.
- Only Sane Man: Queen is a Brainy Brunette and is the smartest and most reasonable of the trio.
- Pocket Dimension: They also own a secret Spatial Paopei, Kogajin (Yellow River Formation), which shrinks all enemies to the point that they're like insects compared to them.
- Power-Up Food: Queen can feed Madonna candies to give her enough power to wield her half of Kinkosen or to make her fly by burping.
- Shear Menace: They can also use Kinkosen in its divided form, though they need both Madonna and Queen's help to make it work and they can only summon two dragons, a white one and a black one.
- Sweet Tooth: Madonna is usually chewing on sweets from her bag. Even inside Kogajin there's a plate full of sweets, apparently for her benefit only.
- Weapons That Suck: Their own Paopei, Kongen Kinto (Golden Ladle of Coalescence) is actually a golden pot which can suck people inside of it and store them inside, but won't work if the target is too large to enter the pot. Venus actually prefers to call it "Venus' Love Spring Pot" because is more chic.
- Wolfpack Boss: They're always around together.
If the Konron Mountains have the Twelve Great Sennin (Juunisen), the Kingo Islands have the equally-famous Juutenkun, a group of ten powerful youkai sennins under the direct command of Tsuuten Kyoshu. They all use a special, custom-designed dimensional space called Juuzetsujin, created by their dimensional paopei. They can even work together and combine their dimensions, although they prefer working in pairs with other Juutenkun who have complementary dimensions.
- Dragon-in-Chief: When Tsuten Kyoshu is unavaible, the Juttenkun control Kingo in his place.
- The Dreaded: Their reputation precedes them. During the Great Sennin War, when the rest of the youkai sennin find out that the Juutenkun are fighting inside Kingo Island, they all hide.
- Foil: While the Twelve Great Sennin are kind, friendly and honorable, the Juutenkun are insufferably arrogant, sadistic and don't care very much about each other (or the rest of the youkai sennin).
- Pocket Dimension: What the Juuzetsujin actually is. Each of the Juutenkun has absolute control over their dimension, and they use that control to customize the space into their perfect trap.
- Smug Snake: They are all arrogant and overconfident, and in many cases, that leads to their demise.
- You Don't Look Like You: When they were first mentioned, they appeared as unmistakeably human silhouettes, including at least a horned woman. When we finally see them, a handful of them look humanoid at all.
Ohtenkun/ Ou Eki
Paopei: Kosuijin, Tick Paopei
Leader of the Juttenkun, Ohtenkun is a humanoid Yokai Sennin resembling a short goth kid with long ears, black clothes and tons of silver jewels on his person. Cruel, manipulative and sarcastic, Ohtenkun is a sadistic genius and he's tasked by Tsuten Kyoshu to assist Bunchu in the war against Konron. Turns out that not only he was working with Dakki to destroy both Sennin Worlds, but there are actually three Ohtenkun, one seeking vengeance against Youzen, one against Genshi Tenson and the last one carries half of Oh Eki's Soul and is Fukki's other half and thus Taikoubou's literal Evil Counterpart, tasked with the dirty parts of the Houshin Project that Taikoubou couldn't have handled himself because of his morality. Near the end of the story he and Taikoubou merges together to become Fukki again.
- Acid Attack: The Paopei Kosuijin (Crimson Waters Formation) turns his blood in highly corrosive mist which erodes everything inside his area of effect. It's deadly, to say the least.
- Ambiguously Gay: His face and choice of words when describing the person he's looking for and when Taikoubou agrees to merge back into Fukki are suggestive to say the least.
- Ambiguously Human: He's the most human-looking of the Juttenkun, resembling a short goblin-like creature, though at one point Taikoubou notices that his behaviour is more human-like than monstrous. He's originally a human, technically.
- Big Damn Villains: During the Horai Island arc he saves Taikoubou's soul when he's killed by Kou Kibi.
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Rare silver example, Ohtenkun is covered in silver trinkets, mostly rings bracelets and chains.
- Bloody Murder: Unlike other Juzetsujin, Ohtenkun can summon his Kosuijin where he likes, as he generates his dimension from his own blood. Said blood turns into a mass of mist and rainclouds which are highly corrosive.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Youzen describes him as pure evil. Like Dakki, he's an Invoked Trope.
- The Chessmaster: The most strategic and analytical of the Juttenkun, he's the best strategist of Kingo and, essentially, Taikoubou's evil counterpart. Literally, since he has half of Fukki's soul and was tasked with executing the darkest side of the Houshin plan.
- The Dog Bites Back: He took revenge against Tsuten Kyoshu by letting Dakki turn him insane and when he had the chance he stomped on a wounded Genshi Tenson.
- The Dragon: As the leader of the Juttenkun, he's the second strongest Doshi after Tsuten Kyoshu. He's secretly this to Dakki.
- Emo Teen: Has this look, along with the depressed look and cynical outlook on life.
- Enemy Without: He's Taikoubou's. Specifically, he holds half of Oh Eki's soul, while Taikoubou has the other half. He wishes to become one entity again.
- Enigmatic Minion: He's this to the entire Kingo Island. Because he's secretly on Dakki's paybook.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Holds genuine respect and affection for Dakki, who, despite corrupting him, is the closest thing to a mother he had. When he confronts her near the end in Horai Island he actually begs her to stop, as he doesn't want to hurt her.
- Evil Gloating: In a rather unusual example, he does this... on his deathbed, claiming his success as he dies. The first one anyway.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Dies when a fallen star of Kingo drops on his legs, reducing him to Half the Man He Used to Be. His second self dies torn apart by Bunchuu's Kinben.
- Foil: To Taikoubou. Both are geniuses and masters of tactics, but while Taikoubou is, in spite of his many faults, pacifist, kind and compassionate, Ohtenkun is arrogant, sly and callous, and doesn't care much for his comrades. Literally, he's the other half of Oh Eki's soul.
- Fusion Dance: He and Taikoubou eventually merge their souls and become Fukki again. Downplayed, as Taikoubou's the dominant personality, and Ohtenkun can leave whenever he feels like it.
- Guyliner: Has black lipstick and either Exhausted Eye Bags or eyeliner.
- Hero Killer: He ends up killing Gyokutei Shinji, Kou Hikou and, indirectly, the Juttenkun, Junisen and pretty much all the victims of the Houshin Project.
- I Did What I Had to Do: All his evil actions are a result of him carrying on the Houshin Project from the shadows, playing the necessary evil there were Taikoubou wouldn't have been able or willing to act.
- Jabba Table Manners: He's often seen eating pills by grabbing handfuls of them from the bowl and messily scarfing on them from his open palm.
- Karma Houdini: Downplayed, as two thirds of Ohtenkun do die, but the main body manages to get away with all his atrocities in virtue of being the same being as the hero, Taikoubou.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: The second one takes his time to call out a downed Genshi Tenson on his bullshit and kick him in the face repeatedly.
- Nice Hat: Wears a large floppy hat.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: He's shorter than most characters, but he's one of the most dangerous characters.
- Power Parasite: His other Paopei is a living one taking the form of a series of ticks. Said ticks will latch on a Sendo, leaving a flowery mark, and costantly drain their reserves of energy to the death. Thanks to said ticks he's able to pretty much take down the entire forces of Konron while he lounges around in his star, eating snacks.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Ohtenkun is spiteful when Youzen is involved and loves putting him though physical and mental distress. The second Ohtenkun harbors similar feelings for Genshi Tenson.
- Sanity Slippage: As Oh Eki, Tsuten Kyoshu locked him in a cell for his own safety, as Kingo Youkai Sennin were hostile to humans. This isolation lead to insanity and made Oh Eki an easy prey for Dakki.
- The Snack Is More Interesting: Spends his first two interactions with the other Juttenkun sitting on his ass and gulping down candies, barely paying his colleagues attention.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Angrily tells Youzen to shut up when he tries to verbally defend Tsuten Kyoshu.
- Straw Nihilist: Has a cynical outlook on life, though given his Freudian Excuse it can be justified.
- Thinking Up Portals: A secondary effect of Kosuijin allows him to create squared red portals to move across space.
First of the Juttenkun to appear, Youtenkun is a Youkai Sennin resembling a robed and hooded humanoid figure with extremely long sleeves and a mask covering half of his "visage". He's the strongest member of the Juttenkun. His Paopei revolves around paper talismans whose spells can reap the soul out of its victims. Fights Youzen, Igo and Nataku along with King Seibo but he's ultimately cut in half by Igo's Paopei.
- Cool Mask: Wears a round half-mask covering part of his "face" and resembles an Yin-Yang symbol.
- Defiant to the End: He keeps fighting his opponents to the very end.
- Diagonal Cut: Dies when Igo slashes him in half with Goumasho.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He first appears before Bunchuu when he visits Kingo Islands to meet Tsuten Kyoshu, restraining him inside his Paopei Rakkonjin.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: His outfit has incredibly long sleeves, though we don't know if he has hands beneath them.
- In the Hood: In addition to the mask, any facial feature is hidden in his pointy hood.
- Paper Talisman: His Rakkonjin (Fallen Souls Formation) is a circular space filled with giant paper talismans facing the center. Said talismans can fire soul-reaping beams of light. Outside of his Paopei he can cast traditional, explosive paper talismans.
- Underestimating Badassery: Even if he is higher-ranked than Bunchuu, that doesn't mean that he can bully him around, even when sealed inside his Juuzetsujin.
- Your Soul Is Mine: The lightbeams from the Rakkon Talismans will istantly expel the soul of the victim from the body and can harm spirits. They do not work against Nataku, though they can explode his limbs.
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a kangaroo rat with a humanoid body curled under his head and extremely long limbs. His Paopei consist in an endless desert of red sand. Confronts Youzen when he sneaks in Kingo and reveals that he's a Youkai, only to be destroyed along with his Paopei.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: A Youkai Sennin with the power of sands who looks like a man-kangaroo rat hybrid.
- Break Them by Talking: Tries to do this to Youzen, persuading him to join his rightful brothers in Kingo as a true Youkai Sennin.
- Bring It: When Youzen reveals his card to vanquish his Paopei, he tells him to do his worst. Unfortunately, Youzen was stronger.
- Creepily Long Arms: So long he actually walk around on them. They grow in length as he reaches to Youzen to persuade him.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Youzen uses his true form to transform in the very sand of the Paopei and expand until the Paopei's limits are broken.
- Knight of Cerebus: He's the first Juttenkun actually fought by the heroes, his powers are played seriously and there's not a single laughable thing about him. He even nearly kills Youzen in combat.
- Make Them Rot: A side effect of Kosajin: everything that's not Choutenkun inside it (be them human, Paopei or clothes) will slowly dry and rot until they become the red sands of Kosajin.
- Sand Blaster: Kosajin (Crinsom Sands Formation) manifests as a desert of red sands where people will inesorably turn to dust. Choutenkun can also animate the sand to attack as he pleases.
Member of the Juttenkun, a puppet-like Youkai Sennin. His personal dimension is a giant toy room, where he can possess all the toys inside, make them explode and turn opponents who fail to beat him into more toys. Killed by the combined efforts of Taikoubou and Gyokutei Shinjin.
- Baleful Polymorph: Inside his Kaketsujin (Mutant Blood Formation), Sontenkun can turn people who loses his games into toys. Tou Sengyoku, Suupuushan and even Taikoubou are transformed.
- Demonic Possession: In order to balance his weakness, he can take possession of any of the toys in his room and move them around. He can even self-destruct them to harm his enemies or use them as hostage. When his real body is killed though the possession and transformations are undone.
- Diagonal Cut: Meets this end thanks to Gyokuten's sound-speed sword slashes.
- Fixing the Game: Thanks to his powers, he can make sure he will always win, regardless of the opponent's skill.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: His real form resembles a puppet, which allows him to hide himself inside his toy-filled Paopei.
- Hostage Situation: He uses his power over toys to threaten to blow up his victims, forcing Taioubou's group to challenge him.
- Hypocrite: Angry tells Taikoubou not to interfere with his mikado match with Suupuushan and is angry when Taikoubou accuses him of cheating. Turns out he does cheat, using his own Paopei space to make sure he never loses a game.
- Killer Rabbit: He's an harmless-looking wooden puppet, but his Paopei is among the most insidious and dangerous.
- Out-Gambitted: He challenges Taikoubou to a Memory match, knowing well that he cannot lose thanks to his powers. Taikoubou, who was trying to locate his body, accepts the match. As he prepares the cards he mixes them with a small twister of wind that leaves scratches over the puppets hanging from the ceiling, so that even if he loses, Gyokuten can notice which of the puppets bleed and can take him down istantly.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Despite being an immortal Sennin, Sontenkun behaves like a brat and forces his enemies to challenge him to games they have no chance of winning, not even by cheating.
- Reality Warper: As with all the others Juzetsujin, he can manipulate the space the way he prefers. For example, he's sure he won't lose, because he can fix the game the way he likes. He shows this as he plays Memory: he turns several cards in a row, and they're all aces of hearts.
- Riddle of the Sphinx: In the Quiz game against Tou Sengyoku, this is the first question that pops out. Unfortunately, Sengyoku answers "Narazuke!" (a type of pickled vegetables).
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a huge insect with four limbs and a human visage, he's so conceited he's always looking upwards, away from his enemies. His Paopei is a giant tornado with a net of Razor Floss at the bottom. Defeated by his own trap as he underestimates the Kou Family.
- Bad Boss: He calls his own subordinates "dimwits" and warns them to stay away. When a handful of them jump into his Paopei and ends up being diced by the floss he says they deserve it.
- Beast with a Human Face: Toutenkun resemble a giant four-legged cicada with a perfectly human eerie face.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: He resembles a giant bug in both looks and movements. He denies being one though.
- Blow You Away: His Fuukojin (Howling Winds Formation) consist in an endless tornado herding the victims towards a massive absurdly sharp net of floss where they're cut to pieces. The only safe place is a pillar of stone in the middle of the storm where he clinges. Toutenkun can control the speed of the surrounding winds.
- Hoistby His Own Petard: Kou Tenka and Tensho throw a barrage of weapons at the pillar, focing him to move away and not noticing the Karyuuhyo Paopei, which overheats the pillar to the point that he can't touch it anymore and falls backward on his cutting net. Lampshaded by Tenka, as Toutenkun habit of never even looking at his enemies played against him.
- Powers Do the Fighting: Even more than his colleagues, he never even bothers to look at his opponent.
- Razor Floss: The end of his Tornado features a net of sharp floss which cuts people into dices. To make things worse, the net is metallic, so when Tenka's Karyuuhyo falls on it, the whole net starts overheating, much to the Kou's distress.Kou Hikou "No! I don't want to become a diced steak!"
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a red-furred puppet, he speaks in an extremely odd and convulted way, gushes about neoromantic stuff and kills all those who steps in his Paopei with ice and snow. Vaporized by Fugen's Paopei causing a point blank nuclear explosion in his face.
- Antiquated Linguistics: He has a rather unique, odd way of expressing himself.
- Death from Above: One of the uses of Kanpyojin allows him to bombard enemies with giant spheres of ice.
- Defiant to the End: Tries one last attack on Fugen when he gives up his Paopei and attempts to reason with him one last time. The Paopei promptly uses the summoned ice to create tritium and from that a nuclear explosion.
- Fantastic Racism: For all his talk and pompous behaviour, he thinks that human and Youkai will never come to understand each other as Fugen says, and downright mocks his point of view.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: When he tries a final attack, Fugen's Paopei uses the chemical components of Entenkun's own ice to cause a nuclear explosion right under his nose.
- An Ice Person: Inside his Kanpyojin (Freezing Ice Formation) he can manipulate ice and snow to attack enemies with ice masses or even sudden blizzards.
- Killer Rabbit: He looks like something out of a children TV show, but he can freeze people to death or crush them to death with giant ice blocks.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: When he sees Fugen's Paopei in action, he automatically thinks it must be a fire paopei invoking his elemental weakness. He only gets it right when it's too later.
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a giant sentient slab of purple stone. Rules montainous dimension where he can freely manipulate earth to form pitfalls. He's unceremoniously defeated offscreen by Nataku.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Nataku riddles him with holes in record time.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He controls the spatial Paopei Chiretsujin (Furious Earth Formation). In the manga we see that it consist of a montainous landscape where he can manipulate the earth, mostly by opening pitfalls under his foes.
- One Steve Limit: In-Universe, he and Choutenkun have almost the same name (written with different kanji).
- Rock Monster: An unusual example, he takes the form of a giant living slab of purple stone.
- This Cannot Be!: Doubles as Famous Last Words... and only words."Inconceivable! How could you overcome my Chirestujin so easily!?"
- Too Dumb to Live: Overconfidence or not, trying to kill a flying enemy with an earth Paopei designed to make someone fall in a crevasse can only lead to failure.
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a witch with an empty body and floating hands. She's the only woman of the group, as well as the strongest member along Youtenkun. Her Paopei allows her to manipulate light and shadows. She's killed by the combined efforts of Youzen and Nataku.
- Action Girl: She's the only female Juttenkun, but also the second strongest, a title shared with Youtenkun.
- Boss Arena Idiocy: Considering how her Paopei works and how she supposedly can manipulate anything inside, the scattered ruins across her dimension offer plenty of sanctuary from her light.
- Hot Witch: She's dressed in a cape and a pointy hat and, despite having no body to speak of, she looks pretty attractive.
- Light 'em Up: Kinkojin (Golden Light Formation) is a light-based spatial Paopei which allows her to manipulate light to cause illusons, divert light-based attacks and, inside her space, animate the shadows of all those hit by the light.
- Living Shadow: Inside her Juuzetsujin, she can animate the shadows of all those exposed to the light. As long as they cast a shadow, said shadow will keep attacking its owner, and any damage dealt to the shadow will bounce back on the owner, forcing them in a Morton's Fork.
- Logical Weakness: If you manage to find something to shield you from the light, her shadows will disappear.
- Odd Name Out: She's the only Juttenkun who lacks the "tenkun" (lit. Heavenly Lord) title. She gets instead the Meaningful Name Kinko Seibo (Sacred Mother of the Golden Light).
- Raymanian Limbs: It's not clear if she has invisible arms and hands wearing those gloves or if they're this.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only woman of the Juttenkun, but also the strongest.
- This Cannot Be!: Her reaction when Nataku emerges from the sandstorm created by Youzen and shoots her point-blank with Kenkonken.
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a man and a woman conjointed at the limbs and covered in bandages, seemingly sharing one mind in two different bodies. Their Paopei allows them to set things ablaze and burn their enemies. They team up with Shintenkun to fight the Unsho Sisters, but they're dragged in their own Spatial Paopei and eaten by Madonna.
- Eaten Alive: They and Shintenkun are anticlimatically eaten alive by Madonna.
- Incendiary Exponent: Their Retsuenjin (Violent Blaze Formation) allows them to burn Shintenkun's meteors and probably attack with fire.
- Two Beings, One Body: They take the form of two siblings, a man and a woman, united at the limbs. They even speak simultaneously. A panel though seems to imply that the male body is the sentient one.
- Voice of the Legion: Since they're two beings with one mind, they speak like this.
- The Worf Effect: They're easily defeated by the Unsho sisters.
Member of the Juttenkun, a Youkai Sennin resembling a stone monolith or a jellyfish. His Paopei can pit his enemies in a space-like dimension where they're attacked by falling meteors. He join forces with Hakutenkun to fight the Unsho Sisters, but they're dragged in their Paopei and eaten by Madonna.
- Asteroid Thicket: Tenzetsujin (Severed Heaven Formation) is a giant asteroid field where Shintenkun can manipulate the meteorites to attack his victims.
- Eaten Alive: He and Hakutenkun are anticlimatically devoured by Madonna.
- Foil: To his fellow Juttenkun Chotenkun: both are living stone monsters, but their powers are the opposite in both name and effects: one is set in space and attacks with falling meteors, the other is on earth and can cause the opponents to fall into a sinkhole.
- Rock Monster: Resembles a floating living monolith.
- The Worf Effect: He and Hakutenkun are easily dispatched by the Unsho sisters.
An amoral and crazy Mad Scientist obsessed with viruses and artificial plagues, he's first sent by Chou Komei to spice the war up by forcing So Go (Dakki's father) to figh the Shu, as well as attacking Taikoubou and his allies with his disciples. When said disciples are destroyed by a revived Nataku, he's forced to flee. He guards the second floor of Queen Joker along with his adoptive son/guinea pig Bagen, Kingo's Human Paopei. Holds the rank of Viscount.
- Abusive Parents: His adoptive child, who adores and idolizes him, asked him to make him stronger. Ryo Gaku turned him into a grotesque abomination with no regard for his sanity or wellbeing. When he shows some conscience, he proceeds to forcibly transform him into an even more grotesque form.
- Ax-Crazy: From his first appearence, he's shown to be deranged and quick to employ his deadly plague on whole armies on a whim. He can't even wait for a whole three-minutes truce before exploding in a furious rant.
- Berserk Button: Becomes livid when Nataku proceeds to kill his minions one by one.
- Early-Bird Boss: He's the first disciple of Chou Komei to appear, long before it's revealed that there are more of them and is part of a Quirky Miniboss Squad.
- Evil Is Petty: After being defeated by Nataku, he takes his time to Dope Slap him when he's invisible before running away.
- Foil: To Li Sei. Yes, really. They're both Doshi from different Sennin Worlds and have Paopei Human sons. In Li Sei's case, Nataku's nature wasn't his intention, the hate is mutual but, in spite of everything, he does care for him. Ryo Gaku forcibly turned his own son in a minion who'll fight for him, has no interest in his wellbeing and Bagen actually loves him.
- Hypocrite: Accuses Li Sei of being a terrible parent after the invoked Hostage Situation fails. This from a guy who turned his child in a monster.
- Laser-Guided Karma:
- During his first appearence he callously infects Dokoson and stomps on him. When To Sengyoku arrives she gives him a taste of Gokoseki (with added bonus of a hilarious Face Fault) which allows the heroes to recover the blood sample needed to counter his virus).
- During the second appearence, he sics Bagen on Nataku, then, when he's seemingly developing a coscience, he forcibly turn him in a ruthless war machine. Before he can attack Nataku, a mortally wounded Bagen smash him like the insect he is.
- Mad Scientist: He even looks like one and he's far more ruthless and unlikeable than Unchuushi.
- Plaguemaster: He can develop artificial diseases and his Paopei Onkosan (Plague Umbrella) is, essentially, a ray gun with a parable which is able to infect people with disease.
- Taking You with Me: After his minions are defeated, he tries to bluff his way out claiming that he's carrying a vial of a virus so powerful it would kill even him. Nataku doesn't care. Luckily it was a potion which made Ryo Gaku invisible for some time.
- Synthetic Plague: He made a set of Paopei Suit which shoots an infectious, highly dangerous disease he designed personally.
- The Unfought: He does have a Paopei, but in both cases he lets his minions handle the fight for him.
A grotesque giant humanoid who's a Human Paopei just like Nataku is. Bagen used to be a sweet kid who only wished to be stronger to help his dad. He's forced to fight Nataku holding his mother hostage inside his body, but after Nataku reveals to him that they're alike he surrenders... but Ryo Gaku infects him with a drug which transforms him further, forcing Nataku to put him out of his misery.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Out of all the followers of Chou Komei, he's the most sympathetic and the one who's never played for laughs or ridicule.
- Berserker Tears: In his renewed form Nataku notices that he's crying streams of tears as he's crushing him, realizing that he wants to be put out of his misery.
- Body Horror: Used to be a normal, even adorable boy. In his first form he's a gigantic, obese humanoid with a baby face, gigantic claws, rail-thin legs and tentacles coming out of his head. His second form has him mutate even further in a giant-headed monster resembling a baby with a sad mask.
- Ceiling Cling: How he's introduced, in spite of his massive body.
- Combat Tentacles: In his first form he can use the tendrils on his head to move things (though he does it only after his arms were destroyed).
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: During their clash, Nataku realize he's actually begging for a Mercy Kill, and complies, charging the shot so that he won't feel a thing. Bagen actually smiles before the blow is struck.
- The Dog Bites Back: In his death throes he crushes Ryo Gaku under his arm.
- Foil: He's this to Nataku, in the same way Ryo Gaku is one to Li Sei. Arguably, the poor kid had it worse than Nataku.
- Noble Demon: Despite his monstrous appearence, when Nataku willingfully shows him his Reijuu as requested (to show him that they were equals), Bagen recognize his action and gives him back Yinshi.
- One-Winged Angel: Forcefully transformed by Ryo Gaku in a grotesque baby-looking giant with a huge head and a sad mask.
- Stomach of Holding: Helds Yinshi hostage inside his stomach.
- There Is Another: He believes he's the only Paopei Human, and is elated and surprised to learn that Nataku is one too.
- I Was Quite a Looker: He was a cute boy before being turned into the abomination he's now.
- Wolverine Claws: In his first form he sports humongous claws, which he uses to attack.
Paopei: Kami no Miezaru Te
Younin was a successul artist and the official court painter of the Yin before Dakki commissioned a portrait of herself. Being under the spell of temptation and wishing to impress her, he drew what he considered his masterpiece: an abstract portrait of her. Unfortunately, Dakki was not pleased by this and ordered her cronies to gouge out his eyes. Luckily for him, Chou Komei found his portrait and was impressed by the artist's skill. Wanting to save his life, he made an offer to Younin: he would be implanted with sennin bones, receive the artificial paopei Kami no Miezaru Te and become one of his disciples. Younin accepted and joined Chou Komei's ranks as a baron and guardian of the 1rst floor of Queen Joker. His paopei reads the opponent's mind and creates a paralyzing illusion that he is fighting people the opponent perceives as stronger than himself.
- Artificial Limbs: The paopei Kami no Miezaru Te (The Invisible Hands of God) serves as a set of prosthetic eyes for Younin.
- Eye Scream: Dakki had his eyes gouged out simply because she didn't like the portrait he painted of her.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices himself for Taikoubou's sake.
- Master of Illusion: Younin claims that he is a shape-shifter just like Youzen and Kibi, but in reality, his paopei reads the opponent's memories and produces a perfect copy of someone the opponent believes is stronger than himself. While the opponent is trapped inside the illusion, believing he is gravely injured, Younin can easily finish him off. The impossible perfection of the copies and the fact that Younin changes into Gyuokutei Shinjin, someone he has never met, is what tips Youzen off that Younin is lying about his shape-shifting abilities.
- Nice Hat: Wears a massive hat that conceals his entire head save for the mouth and chin.
- Royal Rapier: he's a Baron and fights using a thin and graceful rapier.
Paopei: Banri Kiunen, Kaako
A former Doshi of Kingo and guardian of the third floor of the Queen Joker, with the title of Count. Apparently a normal and handsome boy, Ryuukan fell in love with Tou Sengyoku and despite all his stalking he's deluded that she loves him back but she's too shy to admit it, and is willing to go to any, any lenght to make her love him. Aside from the bow Paopei Banri Kiunen he commands the Kaako, a Paopei made of living magma in the shape of a giant crow which gave Sengyoku her phobia of birds.
- Abhorrent Admirer: While he's handsome and normal-looking at a first glance, Ryuukan is an utter psycho and his obsession with Sengyoku is unhealthy.
- Archer Archetype: His main Paopei is Banri Kiunen (Ten Thousand Ri's Cloud-spreading Smoke), bow which can produce and shoot arrows made of pure light.
- Ax-Crazy: At first, it doesn't look like. Then he keeps coming after Sengyoku like a zombie, threatens her with death if she doesn't join him and tries to pull a love suicide with Sengyoku when he's defeated.
- Big "NO!": Lets out a satisfyingly anguished one when he's houshined.
- Bullying a Dragon: As a proof of his rampart insanity, he, a normal Doshi of Kingo, thinks he can kill Ryuukitsu Koshu, the strongest Sennyo of Konron and one whose energy is enough to move the entire mountain, with his Paopei. He's soundly defeated in a jiff.
- Cute and Psycho: A rather handsome guy who's a total nutjob.
- Death Glare: After receiving the first volley from Gokoseki, he still stands up, giving Sengyoku a creepy look coupled with blood running down his face and dissonant smile.
- Entitled to Have You: His attitude towards Sengyoku, based on a Love at First Sight which the girl didn't reciprocate at all. He's deluded that she loves him but she's too shy to admit it, and her love for Doukouson is a mere fickle.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Finally bites the dust when Doukouson, whom he had hostage, shoots him In the Back with the claws of his Paopei.
- Made of Iron: Tanks several volleys of Tou Sengyoku's empowered Gokoseki and later can still move and attempt a double suicide through Neck Snap with Sengyoku after having holes openend in his arms and knees.
- Magma Man: His other Paopei, Kaako (Urn of the Fire Raven) is a living pool of magma taking the form of a bird, which gave Sengyoku her phobia. It may be an Elemental Embodiment, as when Ryuukitsu Koshu turned it to stone with her water-based Paopei she said that "it died".
- Stalker with a Crush: After meeting Sengyoku on Kingo he spent hours following her around, peeking at her in the bath or even in the toilet. No wonder she hates his guts.
- Together in Death: When Ryuukitsu Koshu hands him his ass on a plate and turns his Magma Paopei in a fancy sculpture, he tries, as a last ditch move, to snap Sengyoku's neck while crying, promising that he'll take his own life immediately afterwards so that they'll be together in death. Doukouson sends him in first.
Paopei: Banjinsha, Kaketsu Shinto
An old general of Yin who was actually a Youkai Sennin in disguise. Guardian of the fourth floor of Queen Joker with the title of Marquese, Yoka appears as an old, bespectacled gentleman with an enormous collection of swords. He looks down on bare-handed brawls, but in reality he's not above tricking his opponents to get the upper hand in combat. Aside from his many swords including the Yousei Hito, he uses bladed Paopeis. His true form is that of an Oddly Shaped Sword with an insect-like handle and a venomous blade which gives Tenka his costantly-bleeding wound.
- Cool Shades: Wears some round, John Lennonesque glasses which obscure his eyes.
- Flechette Storm: His Paopei Banjinsha (Wheel of Ten Thousands Blades) is, essentially, a hail of squared shurikens which can attack the enemy from everywhere.
- Improbable Weapon User: His ace in the sleeve, Kaketsu Shinto, is a fearsome sounding Paopei... taking the form of a couple of beach balls. Beach balls which sprout circular blades coated in paralyzing poison but still beach balls.
- Intrigued by Humanity: He spent years masquerading as an old general of Yin as a pasttime. He claims that many Youkai Sennin likes to disguise themselves as humans from time to time.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Zigzagged, when Hiko, unarmed, tries to fight him, he replies that "only savages fight barehanded" and allows him to take a sword from his own collection to even the odds. Turns out, the sword is a trap.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When Hiko destroys his first Paopei and bends Hitou to his will, he decides to go all out and use his real Paopei... which leads to In-Universe narm when he pulls out two volleyballs from his cape.
- Living Weapon: His true form is that of a living sword-thing with an odd organic-looking handle resembling a giant insect.
- Old Soldier: In his disguise as a human. Hikou even thought he was just an ordinary old general.
- The Paralyzer: Kaketsu Shinto (Blood-Curdling Divine Sword) has blades which can paralyze those cut by them. Too bad it doesn't work against Hiko.
- Small Role, Big Impact: As he's dying, he wounds Tenka in the abdomen with a fragment of his blade. Said wound doesn't heal, and leads to his demise.
- Wall of Weapons: Has a whole giant collection of swords, as noticed by Hiko. Leads to some Fridge Logic as his real form is a sword.
A sword Yousei serving Youka. He can also read his wielder's mind and show them illusions on its surface. He's defeated by Kou Hikou and decides to serve him and later Tensho.
- BFS: He's about as tall as Kou Hikou, who is huge to begin with. When Tensho wields him he turns into a shortsword and can easily shift its size as needed.
- HeelFace Turn: Promptly switches sides when Kou Hikou threaten to snap him in half. When Youka calls him out on this, he replies that "siding with the strong ones is the know-how of life".
- Empathic Weapon: He is quite loud and very proud, and eventually decides to help Kou Hikou.
- Master of Illusion: Initially, he attempts to manipulate Kou Hikou into losing his fighting spirit by showing him visions of his dead wife and sister. And then stabs Kikou in the back. Hikou survives, and oddly enough, he is implied to feel a measure of gratitude because he got to see images of his loved ones after so long.
A series of Youkai Sennin patrolling the labyrinth in the fourth floor of Queen Joker. Amongst them we see the Earthworm Youkai Kyuuin and Kokeinou, a wasp Youkai who manipulates wasp-filled mummies with his pheromones.
- Acid Attack: Kyuuin's Kojuueki (Liquid Red Orb) allows him to shoot corrosive liquid from his arms.
- Berserk Button: Kyuuin becomes furious when Kou Tensho points out that his hair is shaped like a poo.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Kyuuin is an earthworm Youkai Sennin, while Kokeinou is a wasp Youkai Sennin who can control other insects with his Paopei.
- Dirty Coward: As noticed by Tenka, Kokeinou does nothing but hide underground as his own wasp-controlled mummies do all the fight.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Kyuuin is crushed by his own coiled worms thrown on him by Tensho. Kokeinou's hidden, but the smell of his pheromones betrays him.
- Humiliation Conga: Kyuuin is insulted for his hairstyle, has his minions tied in a giant knot which is then used to crush him and finally, as he tries to slither away, Tensho accidentally steps on him.
- Knotty Tentacles: When Kyuuin unleashes his giant worms on Tensho, he manages to dodge them until they're tied up in an orb-like knot.
- The Minion Master: Kokeinou uses his Paopei Gohoutai (Purse of Wasps) to manipulate the wasps hidden inside his army of mummies, so that said mummies can attack and protect him.
- This Cannot Be!: Kokeinou becomes incredulous as Tenka runs him through the floor, asking how he could find him.
The Shisei are a group of four powerful Kingo doushi famous for helping Bunchuu banish Dakki and her sisters from the imperial palace of Chouka about half a century before the start of the story. Their most remarkable trait ist their absolute loyalty to Bunchuu, and upon being summoned, they leave their home island of Kuryu and join the fight against Taikobou.
- Adaptational Villainy: They're much more evil in the first anime, to the point that they actually die at the end of their arc.
- Back for the Dead: After a lengthy absence, they finally reappear in Yin, only to be butchered by Emperor Chuuoh's monster form.
- Demoted to Extra: After their appearence, they are out of focus for the rest of the story.
- Disc-One Final Boss: In the first anime, they're the last main obstacle before the heroes goes on to defeat the true threat, Dakki.
- The Lancer: Four of them for Bunchuu.
- Sphere Factor: All four of them wield orb-shaped Paopeis.
- Token Human: They're among the few human Doshi of Kingo Islands.
- The Worf Effect: Shown to be powerful people of mass destruction and worthy followers of Bunchuu, but still they're easily slain by an empowered Chuuoh.
The leader of the Shisei and the wielder of an explosive paopei, Kaitenju.
- An Arm and a Leg: In the manga he loses an arm to Youzen after he turned into a Kaitenju and blow himself up, taking Ouma's arm with him.
- Bare Your Midriff: While otherwise covered from head to toe, his abdomen is bare.
- Blood Knight: Wants to invade Seiki partly because he believes it will help Bunchuu, but also because it will allow him to be destructive.
- Flight: A side-effect of his Paopei allows him to fly, gathering energy from the explosions.
- Glory Seeker: Wants to kill Youzen in order to become even more famous.
- Having a Blast: His Paopei Kaitenju (Heaven Opening Bead) comprises of several explosive orbs which he can control at will and which also give him the ability to fly.
- Honor Before Reason: Youzen offers to let him live if he stopped fighting, but Ouma refuses every time, even after he has lost an arm because he cannot stand the thought of disappointing Bunchuu.
- Kick the Dog: Gives a demonstration of his Paopei destroying a mountain and causing several losses amongst the population of Shu.
- Military Maverick: He receives specific instructions from Bunchuu to kill Kou Hikou before he reaches Seiki, but decides to invade Seiki as well for good measure, believing that it's the right thing for Bunchuu and the Yin. Bunchuu is shocked when Shinkohyou tells him about that. Fortunately, Ouma is stopped by Youzen before he can cause too much damage.
- Taking You with Me: In the first anime Ohma tries to kill the heroes by overloading Kaitenju.
- Undying Loyalty: Deeply devoted to Bunchuu, to the point where he reasons that killing Youzen would have as chief benefit making Bunchuu more famous, as his name is linked to the Shisei's. It's clear that Bunchuu is the person he respects the most.
The first member of the Shisei who faces Taikobou in battle, Kouyuuken wields Kongenjyu, a large, pearl-like orb capable of summoning and controlling water. He can create tidal waves and water barriers, make weapons out of water and drown his opponents by throwing a blob of salt water on their heads.
- Blood Knight: Outright states how much he enjoys fighting Taikobou, and praises his own paopei and its destructive power.
- Butt-Monkey: His fight with Taikobou is noted by all witnesses to be absolutely ridiculous, as he is humiliated by having his water converted into sake and being thrown into the lake of sake by Taikobou, whereupon he gets drunk because he has a low alcohol tolerance. It goes downhill for him from there.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He says he is not a good drinker as Taikobou plunges with him in a sea of sake during their duel.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Wears his Rapunzel Hair unbound and his eyelashes are drawn as long as Dakki's, giving him a particularly effeminate appearance.
- Elemental Baggage: Resolved by his Kongenju (Coalescence Bead): his orb is only half of the Paopei. The other one floats on the sea of an ocean-based Star in Kingo Islands, so that he can summon sea water from one orb to the other.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: While morally ambiguous rather than evil, he cares about his fellow Shisei and rushes to Youshin's side once he has been injured by Kou Tenka, angrily stating that he will never forgive him for this.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Shouts at Youshin that he shouldn't harm normal people when his comrade accidentally comes close to hurting Kou Hikou's family. He admits that he did it as well, though.
- Facial Markings: Two dots on his forehead.
- Honor Before Reason: Taikobou offers to join forces in defeating Dakki, but Kouryuuken refuses, saying that Bunchuu's orders are more important to them.
- Licking the Blade: He licks his paopei in the beginning of his battle with Taikobou.
- Making a Splash: His paopei is a large orb which gives him the power to summon and control water.
- Sinister Scythe: Unable to attack Taikoubou again with such a massive technique, he resorts to making a giant scythe out of water. When Taikoubou breaks it with Razor Wind, he just divides it into two.
The youngest-looking member of the team, Rikouha is always seen sitting on his floating orb paopei Bankouju. The paopei allow him to shoot laser beams at his opponents and to move out of the way of any upcoming attacks.—-
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Despite his abilites, he insist on taking on a beast such as Nataku on his own.
- Beam Spam: Bankoju (Yellow Strikes Bead) can unleash a barrage of laser beams from the front. Coupled with his power of flight and auto-dodge, leads to a case of Powers Do the Fighting.
- Facial Markings: Has four dots on his forehead.
- Fragile Speedster: To be more precise, his paopei moves very fast and keeps him out of harm's way, but if you somehow manage to get behind him, he's defenseless. Nataku easily picks him up off his paopei as if he were a child.
- Logical Weakness: His Paopei is light-based, and so the beams are diffused by dust and other materials, making them slower and easier to dodge.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: He is quite short, but can be deadly thanks to his paopei.
- Oh, Crap!: What he says when Nataku takes him by surprise and grabs him off his paopei.
- Samurai Ponytail: The way he cuts and wears his hair is reminiscent of this.
- Taking You with Me: In the first anime, a defeated Rikouha tries to kill Nataku with a self-destruction.
The fourth member of the Shisei, he has an orb-like paopei embedded in his hand which allows him to control earth and to heal his allies.
- The Big Guy: He's the largest and most imposing of the Shisei.
- Body Horror: Downplayed, but his Paopei are embedded in his palms.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has an earth-based Paopei Hekichiju (Earth-Splitting Bead).
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: His earth-based paopei does not fare well against Kou Tenka's fire-based Karyuuhou. Luckily for him, Koyuuken's water Paopei helps him out.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Although not evil per se, he is an antagonist, and he is dismayed when Kou Hikou's family gets caught in an attack caused by his earth paopei. He even apologizes by way of saying that his paopei is designed to be used against armies, and can be difficult to focus it on one target alone.
- Healing Hands: He can restore the energy of his allies, which makes him a prime target for Kou Tenka.
- The Quiet One: The least talkative and dramatic of the group.
A group of four youkai doushi brothers of dubious reputation sent by Kingo to aid Bunchuu in his fight against Taikobou. Unlike the Shisei, the Maka Yonshou are cruel and careless towards humankind; Bunchuu decries their lack of honor but cannot chase them back to the sennin world because they represent the will of Tsuuten Kyoshu, someone who he would rather have on the side of the Yin in the upcoming war. All four were originally part of a single bird-like creature by the name of Shou.
- All Your Powers Combined: Their Shou form can use all their Paopei at will.
- Blob Monster: Their Shou form is a formless floating blob with four heads.
- The Cameo: In Gaiden, when Taikoubou and Supu are sent to the past, they arrive during their previous selves battle against the Maka Yonshou.
- Clipped-Wing Angel: Since their defensive Paopei was half-broken when they merged, Youzen manages to tear through their defenses and slay them, pointing out that bad guys who transform into giant monsters as a last resource never win.
- Cool Mask: All of them have parts of their faces hidden.
- The Dreaded: Everybody who knows anything about them dreads seeing them involved in a large-scale conflict in the human world due to their power and their dirty tricks. Bunchuu wanted to chase them back to the sennin world, and they were on his side.
- Elite Mooks: They are devastatingly effective together, which is why the Kingo Islands use them as shock troops.
- Family Theme Naming: Their names begin with Ma Rei-: Ma Reisei, Ma Reikou, Ma Reikai and Ma Reiju.
- Foil: To the Shisei of Kuryu Island. While both groups love a good fight and will intervene in the human world when called upon, the Shisei do their best to avoid hurting humans, while the Maka Yonshou play dirty, take hostages and couldn't care less about who they injure or kill.
- Four Is Death: Even more sinister than the Shisei, their name translate as "Four Generals of the Demon Family".
- Hostage Situation: Their preferred modus operandi is to take hostages and then force their opponents into surrendering. At one point they take the entire city of Seiki hostage.
- Taking You with Me: In their Shou form, they try to rot the entire land around them as they die.
The masked, sword-wielding leader of the Maka Yonshou, Ma Reisei possesses the sword Seiunken, which allows him to slash his opponents more than once with one single motion. He is always calm and collected and shows very little emotion in general. He is interested in measuring his skill with a sword against other swordsmen from the sennin world, and challenges Kou Tenka to a duel when they first meet.
- Blade Spam: The power of his Paopei allows him to multiply the slashes and thrusts of his sword as if it suddenly had several parallel blades. Even if the main sword is parried, the slashes will still cut the opponent.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Cutting down Tenka doesn't appease him, so he proceeds to literally drill the flesh from his knees and elbows with his sword.
- Cool Mask: We never get to see his entire face. He wears two masks.
- Cool Sword: Seiunken (Blue Clouds Sword) resemble an overly long, flat fence picket, but its power makes it incredibly dangerous.
- The Leader: Goal-oriented, focused and controlled, Reisei is clearly in charge of the group, and his orders are obeyed without question.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Ends up with multiple laser daggers in his back the second time he faces off against Kou Tenka.
- Master Swordsman: He easily defeats Tenka in combat.
- The Stoic: His calm demeanor only serves to make him more sinister.
Ma Reikou wields the paopei Kongensan, which allows him to absorb, store and reflect any beams fired at it. An almost perfect paopei, its only flaw is that it cannot withstand continuous high-energy attacks.
- Attack Reflector: Thanks to his Paopei he can absorb and redirect energy attacks with ease.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: Wears a large one which hides his eyes.
- Bare Your Midriff: He wears a small cape over his bare torso, which creates this effect.
- Improbable Weapon User: His Kongensan (Coalescence Umbrella), a defensive and offensive paopei, looks like a giant umbrella.
- Oh, Crap!: Reacts with shock when he realizes that not even Kongensan can withstand a barrage of Nataku's relentless attacks and is infact cracking.
- The Stoic: Doesn't speak much.
Ma Reikai possesses the guitar-shaped paopei Kurobiwa, which allows him to control the minds of his opponents.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Those who hear the music of Kokubiwa become mindless drones who will fight for Ma Reikai to the death. Thankfully, a strong-enough shock can awaken them.
- Combat Pragmatist: He tears off Raishinshi's wings to prevent him from flying.
- Im Probable Weapon User: A Paopei guitar Kokubiwa (Black Pipa) which, once strung, can control the minds of his opponents.
- Musical Assassin: His guitar will make you follow his every command.
- The Strategist: Shows shades of this, as he questions Ma Reisei's decision of letting Suupuushan escape to the sennin world (which ultimately proves to have disastrous consequences for him and his brothers, as Suupuushan brings Nataku and Youzen) and tears off Raishinshi's wings to prevent him from flying. He also correctly interprets Taikobou's stillness during Seiki's destruction by the Kakoten by pointing out that Taikobou hasn't given up but knows that he simply cannot do anything at the moment. His mind controlling weapon also requires this type of personality to be used efficiently, as Ma Reikai must carefully observe the abilities of his opponents in order to know how to use them to his advantage once they are under his control.
The smallest and physically weakest member of the Maka Yonshou, Reiju has one of the most effective paopei (Kakoten) which comprises of several small whale-shaped mechanical creatures which can grow to gigantic, city-eating size.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Kakoten (Flowery Marten) is a giant whale-like construct which can fly and devour whole buildings, immediately digesting them inside its body. The bad news is... Ma Reiju has a large number of them, normally shrunk and kept in his pocket.
- Cool Mask: Wears an inexpressive round mask which completely covers his face. He eventually frees himself though.
- Depraved Dwarf: He's the shortest of the Maka Yonshou but also the one responsible for all the civilian casualties during the fight, at one point "slipping" his hand on the controls so that his Kakoten swallowed even more people right after he promised to stop.
- Glass Cannon: His Kakoten is incredibly powerful and very difficult to defeat - but Reiju himself is very weak and tends to rely too much on his brothers' protection.
- Irony: He gets taken hostage by Kou Hikou, effectively neutralizing him.
- Jerkass: After Ma Reisei gets Taikobou to surrender in exchange for halting the Kakoten from destroying everything in its path, Reiju intentionally continues to drive his paopei to cause damage.
- Little Bit Beastly: It's hard to figure out just what he is, as he has a human-shaped body but sports what appear to be two large animal ears. The fact that he is completely covered and masked helps conceal his nature.