open/close all folders
Sonic the Hedgehog
The blue hedgehog hero with an attitude.
- Black and White Morality: A firm believer in this, which has a partial involvement in why he believes in killing his foes. While he's fine with hanging out with people with gray morality, he opposes acts that appear outwardly villainous, even though they were made for a good reason,
- Conveniently an Orphan: Defied and Averted. Sonic very much has a family, and is furious at his friends for thinking that he has a tragic backstory like almost everyone else.
- Fire-Forged Friends: With the rest of the main cast. It's also Deconstructed; aside from learning how to fight together extremely well, none of them know each other beyond that. It becomes a major reason why Sonic agrees to reveal his gang's origins to Silver.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Why he never decides to kill Eggman, despite the very long list of bad things he had done. He doesn't want to become another Shadow.
- What the Hell, Hero?: On the giving and receiving ends.
- Fang calls Sonic out for attacking his opponents, never considering they had lives of their own, and not really thinking of the consequences.
- Sonic later calls out Knuckles when he discovers the absolute squalor the Chaotix had been living in, after Knuckles kicked them out of Angel Island for breaking the Master Emerald several times with their antics. Knuckles never considered where the Chaotix would land...
Miles "Tails" Prower
- Badass Adorable: Tails remembers the time when he fought the Kukku armada and a cart-riding witch.
- Foil: To Shadow. Tails is an intelligent fox who fights with technology and wits, while Shadow focuses on physical attacks and Chaos Control. They were also artificial creations that went in opposite directions, personality-wise - Tails became an outgoing and cheerful kid, while Shadow became a reclusive shut-in.
Knuckles the Echidna
The last remaining echidna, and guardian of the Master Emerald.
- Complete Immortality: He turns out to be immortal, thanks to the Ancient Walkers' decision to try see if the echidnas deserve a second chance.
- Last of His Kind: Like in game canon, but it's justified here. His father, Locke, tried using Chaos Control to ascend everyone but the echidna his wife left him for, essentially dooming the entire species. The Ancient Walkers had already given up on the echidnas at this point, but Athair's attempts to save his people convinced Aurora to convince the Ancient Walkers to intervene and give them a second chance. The result was Knuckles being the only surviving echidna. Because he's the last echidna however, Knuckles keeps hanging around Sonic and co. because he's the only friends he has, even when they're being jerks to him.
- Literal-Minded: Doesn't understand slang, innuendos, etc. that the rest of the gang throws around, or Rouge's flirting. Justified, as he spent all his life on Angel Island with Tikal for company.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!:
- His decision to kick the Chaotix out of Angel Island for their destructive antics turns out to be this in the long run, as he never considered where they would land. The Chaotix ends up living in such squalor that Mighty had to resort to prostituting himself to make ends meet.
- His blowing the lid on Vanilla being a mafia donna to Cream, thinking that Cream would take it as well as she did with the others' tragic pasts, wasn't a very good idea either.
- Oblivious to Love: He doesn't get Rouge's flirtations at all. She ends up stomping away and kicking trees in a rage, and he doesn't understand why she's even mad at him.
- Sins of Our Fathers: One of three possibilities that Tikal comes up with to justify the Ancient Walkers allowing Knuckles's existence - he will be burdened with the actions of his family and his ancestors. The other two were Starting a New Life (being able to live without the negative teachings his ancestors grew up on), and going through a Secret Test of Character (rejecting the vices of his kind and proving to the Ancient Walkers that echidnas weren't a completely lost cause).
- Starting a New Life: Technically he's doing this for the entire echidna race. The Ancient Walkers wanted to see if the echidnas could live without the negative teachings that influenced their ancestors. With Knuckles's reaction to learning of his ancestors' crimes, it seems to be working.
- Stating the Simple Solution: Knuckles wonders why Eggman Nega goes through all the trouble of undoing their origins if he can just simply kill them when they were kids. This foreshadows whether or not Silver is lying about the main premise of the story until Chapter 14.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Poor Knuckles is more idiotic than his game counterpart. Justified, as he lived in isolation on Angel Island for years while never going to school.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Receives one from Sonic for kicking the Chaotix out of Angel Island which resulted in Mighty becoming a male escort.
A female pink hedgehog who's madly in love with Sonic.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her father ran off with another woman, causing her mother to take up dead-end jobs and swear off men completely, teaching Amy to do the same. Then, while visiting a fortune teller to see if she would be with her crush, Sonic, she accidentally breaks the crystal ball, causing the fortune teller to curse Amy with in-universe Flanderization for the rest of her life.
- Reality Ensues: Granted, it was caused by a fortune teller's curse, but Amy's constant stalking and pursuing of Sonic finally leads to the object of her affection deciding to file a restraining order against her.
Cream the Rabbit
- Children Are Innocent: The gang tries to enforce this by keeping any sordid details out of hearing range, or by refusing to tell her on the basis that she's too young to hear it. Then Knuckles reveals her mother is a mafia donna...
- Half-Human Hybrid: Her mother is a rabbit. Her father is Dr. Eggman.
- Related in the Adaptation: To Shadow, when they weren't such in the games. Gerald Robotnik created Shadow, thus putting him in the same generation as Eggman's parents. Eggman is Cream's father. This would make Shadow Cream's great-uncle.
- Nice Girl: Cream is as sweet as she can be. For one, she knew that Chocola Chao was a changeling used by the Goblin King to replace Cheese, but she showered him with love anyway, which leads to Chocola betraying the Goblin King and becoming a chao full-time just so he could have the happy life he never had before.
- Spoiled Sweet: Despite coming from an extremely rich family, she's a sweet and innocent kid.
- Reality Ensues:
- Having a large table at home means having to shout at each other just to strike up conversations, so she just sits next to Vanilla instead.
- Vanilla wouldn't really let her 6-year-old daughter fight anything on her own, let alone a dangerous, world domination-crazy man who turns out to be her biological father. So she hired a bunch of Stealth Experts (including an elephant!) as bodyguards so Cream would stay safe at all times.
Shadow the Hedgehog
- Related in the Adaptation: To Cream, when they weren't such in the games. Gerald Robotnik created Shadow, thus putting him in the same generation as Eggman's parents. Eggman is Cream's father. This would make Shadow Cream's great-uncle.
- Cool Uncle: After learning of his familial relations to Cream, he evolves into this. Cream takes to calling him "Grunkle" Shadow for the rest of the story.
Rouge the Bat
A flirtatious bat who moonlights as a jewel thief. She makes up Team Dark together with Shadow and Omega.
- Rags to Riches: Amy assumes Rouge's origins to be of this nature, because she's a jewel thief looking for treasure. Later averted; she was never rich in the first place, as she's a princess and heir to the powerful Fangsylvanian kingdom. What Rouge is actually getting rich in is skills and experience.
- King Incognito: She's really a Fangsylvanian princess, who embarked on a journey outside her kingdom to gain skills and experience in order to succeed her mother, Queen Blanc, one day.
- Really Royalty Reveal: She's the daughter and heir of Blanc, the immortal vampire queen of Fangsylvania.
- Really 700 Years Old: Due to being immortal vampire royalty, she hasn't aged a day, though mentally she still has a lot to learn before becoming queen.
- Tomato in the Mirror: A quite literal example. Through a mirror's reflection, she learns that she is what Blanc considers her greatest treasure of all.
E- 123 Omega
- Just a Machine: Inverted. Save for Shadow and Rouge, who are his friends, Omega has great contempt for all organic lifeforms. He does makes exceptions, though.
- No Indoor Voice: HE SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: When Rouge starts having doubts about being a better vampire queen than her mother, Omega assures her that she will be a better one.
Silver the Hedgehog
A young time-traveler from the future, who persuades Sonic and his gang to tell the stories of their origins.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The reason why he traveled to the past to get Sonic and his gang to reveal their origins? It's so he could receive higher grades than his classmates, who are the children of the main cast, and lord it over them..
- Jerkass: He cheated on his history report by going back in time and manipulated Sonic and his friends to reveal their origin stories to him with a bogus excuse. When this resulted in getting higher grades than his classmates, who are children of Sonic's gang, he proceeded to lord it over them, bragging that he knew their parents better than they did. This leads to said children, who are insecure teenagers living in the shadows of their parents, feeling too emotionally burned out to fight Gizomochao 200 years later.
A human, and a very recurring Big Bad in the Sonic series.
Cream's kindhearted mother.
- Adaptational Villainy: Vanilla in the game canon is the gentle and loving mother of Cream. Here she's a ruthless (though still loving) mafia don, something that she keeps secret from even her daughter.
- Broken Pedestal: Everyone has trouble reconciling the loving mother they knew her as, with the ruthless mafia boss she is in secret once Knuckles reveals the truth. Cream is ''devastated, while Vector, who had a crush on Vanilla, lets out a Big "NO!" and faints.
- The Don: Secretly the head of the Cottontail mafia. No one knew about it until Knuckles blew the lid.
- Living a Double Life: She keeps her mafia activities a secret from everyone, while still raising Cream.
- Mama Bear: She hired a bunch of Stealth Experts to be Cream's bodyguards so she would ensure her daughter's safety while Cream hangs out with her friends.
- Parents as People: She very much loves Cream, but sometimes makes questionable decisons. When an Omochao calls to attention her choices as a parent and a mafia don, she admits that it has a point and decides that a little more love is what her family business needs.
- Reality Ensues: Having a large table at home means having to shout at each other just to strike up conversations, so she just sits next to Cream instead.
The powerful, immortal, and beautiful vampire queen of Fangsylvania.
- Above Good and Evil: Averted. Blanc avoids stating herself as such since most people who say that they are this are usually evil.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Despite being the vampire queen of Fangsylvania, she hasn't aged a day, thanks to her immortality.
- Complete Immortality: Comes with being vampire royalty. Rouge certainly got one thing from her mother.
- Generation Xerox: Averted. Despite being proud of the accomplishments made during her reign, she doesn't want to turn her daughter and heir Rouge into shallow extensions of herself just to secure a legacy, as many petty dictators had done.
- Good Parents: Despite coming off as an evil matriarch to everyone outside of Fangsylvania, including Sonic, Blanc deeply loves her daughter Rouge. She answers Rouge's question about her greatest treasure by having her uncover a mirror, and asking her what it showed. And when Rouge turned down the chance to enter the next stage of her training to be with her friends, Blanc understands and simply tells her to come back whenever she feels ready.
- The High Queen: Everyone in Fangsylvania sees her as this, given that her kingdom is seen as a paradise by monsters and other mythical creatures. To everyone outside of it, she's a ruthless and evil matriarch.
- Proud Beauty: She's proud of her looks. Rouge gets it from her.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Invoked and exploited; this is a skill Blanc teaches her daughter Rouge to use if you're still too young to use sex appeal.
- Walking Spoiler: Bringing up Blanc would reveal her connection to Rouge as her biological mother.
- Parental Substitute: Knuckles sees her as his mother, since she essentially raised him.