The members of the Super Gaming Bros.
The Super Gaming Bros, SGB for short, is one of the two gaming channels led by Johnny: the primary one is SomecallmeJohnny, a channel that is largely dedicated to making reviews (called Johnny VS x, x = title of the game). The other channel, SGBLikesToPlay, is dedicated on making Let's Play of games.
Johnny is often doing the reviews alone; though all of the members, to various extents, have appeared in them. Johnny is always in the LP's, Matt and Elliot are both in all of them, and Mark (Johnny's brother) is an occasional member.
This page lists tropes applying to Johnny, and the other members who are often only in the let's plays. For Tropes pertaining to the gang on their appearances on BrainScratch Commentaries or characters that have originated from there, click here.
- Cluster F-Bomb: On the LP channel, the videos would become pretty repetitive audio-wise if they beeped every single swear.
- Deadpan Snarker / Shout-Out: One of the main drawing points for the channel is how all of them crack jokes, often times said jokes being references to popular culture and other media.
- Drinking Game: They have a few videos of them playing a game drunk, the most well-known being instances when they literally played Mario Party drunk, where unlucky or bad events in the game (losing a minigame, landing on a red space, someone else getting a star or you losing one) would make you take a shot of beer or hard liquor.
Juan "Johnny" Alberto Ortiz
- Bald of Awesome: In the beginning, John did have hair, but over the years it slowly began to get thinner, until it reached the point it is now.
- Berserk Button: Knockback in platformers, ice levels, and Sonic Genesis, to name a few. One of his bigger berserk buttons is sloppy handling of time travel that can screw up everything if not done correctly.
- He also doesn't like it if he's called by his actual name.
- Beware the Nice Ones: If the reviews of Ghosts And Goblins and Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing are any indication, he can get pretty angry when he needs to be.
- Bias Steamroller: Roguelikes or games with different rules that go against traditional ideas. He held The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask in contempt at one point due to how weird the game played until Matt showed him the ropes and taught him how the game actually played.
- Games in which require the player to piece together the story from the environment. Johnny doesn't hate the idea; but he likes his ideas and a story to be more concrete and if a game is too vague on it's story, he's going to not follow it.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In the Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels review, enough to the point where he had to do the review in "Censored Mode". He also uses it when describing how frustrating the Special Stages in Sonic Heroes are.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Johnny loves his cats, even though he finds them to be boring fluff balls who just lay spread-eagle on the carpet all day.
- He adopted a new kitten he named Selene and spent the weeks between The Stanley Parable and Dark Souls reviews nurturing her back to health. His new intro also has him take the time to pet Selene. As of 2019, Selene can give high fives to Johnny, apparently.
- The Leader: He's the lead member of the channel.
- Laughing Mad: When he gets particularly pissed or surprised, he makes a laugh with the last "HA" stressed out.
- Nice Hat: He's frequently seen wearing one.
- Nice Guy: Johnny is pretty down-to-earth, calm and friendly.
- Only Sane Man: Johnny is the most calm and natural of the members.
- Pet-Peeve Trope: Difficulty Spike, or rather, any game that exponentially increases challenge, as mentioned at the end of Cave Story.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Whether intentional or not, there are times when Johnny's screams are hilariously high pitched.
- Too Much Information: The look on Johnny's face after talking to Elliot about his body pillow in the "SGB Review: Ourselves" video.
- Your Normal Is Our Taboo: Zig-Zagged. He's tolerant of a lot of things but he does not approve of really disgusting or gross fetishes, and will think "You Fuckers Need Jesus".
Elliot CancelJohnny's step-brother who provides insight for the reviews from time to time. He runs his own channel, Creepy Elliot. Elliot specializes in horror and more modern games
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Elliot likes to act as this from time-to-time.
- Butt-Monkey: A handful of times, one of the biggest being the third part of SGB'S Sonic 06 multiplayer video when he, causing Matt to laugh madly, was unfairly bombarded by poorly programmed meteors.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Don't let his goofiness fool you. When there's a game he is good, he shows perfectly of accomplishing impressive tasks. See his Tetris 99 match in Smackdown Sundays.
- Designated Driver: During the three Mario Party drunk LP's, Elliot, as he was not old enough to drink at the time (he finally turned 21 in Sept. 2016), was the only one who did not drink alcohol — he substituted it for standard soda.
- Drives Like Crazy: Look no further than the LA Noire playthroughs.
- Freudian Slip: Can make epic moments, just like Matt. For example - "Negative Dildo" during Pokemon Crystal Let's Play.
- Jerkass / Troll: One of Elliot's more humorous and well-known LP activities was all throughout the LA Noire playthrough when he, just for the fun of it and to annoy Matt/Johnny, drove recklessly all throughout (if you live in PA, pray he doesn't get a driver's license).
- Nightmare Fetishist: He's a big fan of horror games & creepypastas, which in turn explains the channel he created.
- No Indoor Voice: To a greater degree than Matt. He has quite the tendency to scream a lot during the games SGB play, often to the point where his screeching is likened to bird calls.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Elliot, compared to Matt and Johnny is usually laid back and overtly more optimistic and jovial about the games he plays for the channel. Cave Story is one of the few times Elliot sounds legitimately angry at a game; going as far to say that just playing it puts him in a bad mood.
- Out of Focus: He was originally a regular participant in game reviews on the Somecallmejohnny channel, but he eventually left that post, leaving Johnny to do the reviews by himself. He still regularly appears on the Super Gaming Bros. channel, however.
Matthew "Matt" MetelliJohnny's best friend who is there for the let's plays. A mix of Johnny and Elliot; He's not bad at mainstream games, but he prefers to show off cult classics or games either brother wouldn't likely play for the channel.
- Berserk Button: People who think politics have no place in games because they always have and denial of that fact riles him up.
- Bias Steamroller: Not afraid to show or admit it. Matthew does have his slights, but one in general is when a game annoys him too much. He calls it a "emotional threshold" and while he's willing to try to look past a game's faults, he's got his limits. Once his threshold is crossed, he immediately shuts the game down and is utterly miserable about it. He doesn't care what the game does right, what the game did right before, whatever good points the game has, any of it. As soon as a game annoys him to the point of frustration, the game sucks. End of story.
- Cluster F-Bomb: AND HOW.
- Fantastic Racism: He takes a great deal of delight in beating up Chao whenever he gets the chance.
- Freudian Slip: The group's lets play of Sonic Adventure 2 has a whole part dedicated to Matt abusing Chao. At one point he says "It doesn't take much to make me cum...wait." Elliot and Johnny wind up cracking up over it.
- Hidden Depths: Matt, despite his barbed jokes, is really good at analyzing characters and their motivations; Especially apparent when he plays character driven games for the channel. He also has a very good emotional intellect, a high sense of empathy (willing to understand why people do what they do, despite making no logical sense as such that he platinumed Final Fantasy XIII, a game he repeatedly states to hate). and is well-versed in the culture of IT and Cybersecurity. Yet, he often goes back to the inappropriate jokes almost immediately.
- Manchild: A weird case. He enjoys video games, watched anime, and enjoys a good cartoon (particularly Avatar: The Last Airbender); but he's also of a mindset in which somethings you should grow out of and he's not all entirely supportive of the more questionable acts or hobbies of fanbases (he's repeatedly mentioned disgust about the concept of fuckpillows).
- Nice Guy / Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Matt's commentary persona can often express him as abrasive, but he's a genuinely nice guy who cares about his fanbase, friends and family.
- No Indoor Voice: Whenever Matt gets real excited, or is laughing real hard. Be careful when using headphones.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Ironically, despite being the raunchiest asshole of the trio at first, Matt believes the opposite and shares the same opinion Moviebob does: it's political incorrectness that's gone mad to him.
- Silent Majority: Hates this trope. He argues that if the silent majority are silent and doing nothing while the Vocal Minority are the ones taking action and doing awful shit, he rhetorically ponders which of those two are the media going to listen to when shit hits the fan?
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Matt is Caucasian and not a member of the Cancel/Ortiz family.
- Troll: Him during the New Super Mario Bros playthrough.
- Toned down in later years. He's come to regret the asshole he portrayed himself as when he saw others do similar things and, as an Out-of-Body Experience, realized that it was him and realized he didn't like it himself doing or saying such awful things and had come to regret it since. He's still got a few dirty jokes here and there but he has come around to a lot of ideas he was once intolerant about within reason.
- Would Hurt a Chao: To somewhat mixed reception... He shamelessly and remorselessly abused a Chao in Sonic Adventure 2.
Mark OrtizThe fourth member of the group who is not a committed member. He appears occasionally in the reviews, and will show up here and there for the 4-player games such as Mario Party, Smash Bros. etc..
- Beware the Silly Ones:He went to the army, you know.
- Guest-Star Party Member: He's not a regular member of the group, but he usually appears whenever the group plays games that are often best played with more than three people.
- Sixth Ranger: Mark did not appear until one of the later let's plays and shows up sporadically — he tends to appear more during short instances of four player games, rarely does he get into an all out let's play.
Greg Betancourt Jr.
- Ascended Extra: First appeared in 8-player Super Smash Bros videos, and slowly started to appear more and more in LPs.
- She made her debut with Mad Father being her first LP with Elliot.
- Guest-Star Party Member: She's recently started appearing in more and more LPs.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the only female member of SGB Crew.
Selene the CatJohnny's brand new cat. Officially appeared in-video in Johnny's Dark Souls and Castle Crashers reviews as a kitten.
- Big Eater: If Johnny's comments about giving her snacks to keep her from messing with his recording is anything to go by.
- Cute Kitten: Quite adorable in her debut days.
- I Got Bigger: Has been steadily growing in the time since her introduction. Especially noticeable since Johnny's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate review.
- Despite all of that, she is able to comfortably sit on Johnny's shoulder, as Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu! and Let's Go Eevee! episode shows.
- Parental Abandonment: She was abandoned by her mother.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: She was a baby kitten. What do you think?
- Rule of Fun: Giving high five to her owner.
Manic-Depressed LuigiJohnny's humerous interpretation of Luigi
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Where to begin? Luigi is extremely bitter towards his brother and life in general, has an extremely morose outlook on life, and always makes time to be sarcastic.
- In the Luigi's Mansion playthrough, as Matt and Johnny point out, "You can totally read this as Luigi being a douchebag to a lot of them [the ghosts]. Most are just minding their own business".
- Badass Boast: "Say hello to you mother. She's in the vacuum waiting for you"
- "I know where's there's plenty of fire: In Hell!"
- Canon Immigrant: This depiction of Luigi was originally from BrainScratch Commentaries, and hes just as bitter there as he is here (if not more so).
- Genre Savvy: "There's probably seven more of these. I'm familiar with this!"
- Good Is Not Nice: Still goes on adventures with Mario to save the Mushroom Kingdom, but that doesn't mean he has to be nice about it. And he's not.
- Jerkass: He's simply not a pleasant person in any sense of the word.
- Third-Person Person: Quite often does this. "Too much information for Luigi"
- Too Much Information: To Toad in Luigi's Mansion. "I don't care about your fetishes. Too much information for Luigi"
Tails Doll is the personification of all the bad Sonic games and loves to make people play horrible games and watch them suffer.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: His second form from when he fought Johnny is this.
- Back from the Dead: Pulled this off TWICE, First was when he was destroyed by Johnny and Elliot as the Sonic hat, the second being an RPG fight against the brothers.
- Big Bad: of Johnny vs. the World.
- Eldritch Abomination: YES
- Empty Eyes: Black, soulless, and absolutely evil...
- Evil Is Not a Toy
- Makes Sense In Context: Why did the Sonic hat seem to consider Sonic R the worst Sonic game? It's bad, but not atrocious...oh. He was born from it.
- Killed Off for Real: He was killed in the Sonic R. Except, not quite...
- Know When to Fold 'Em: In the Ghost 'N Goblins & Super Ghouls N' Ghosts review, The Tails Doll decides that it seems inevitable that he'll fail to kill Johnny (even admitting the reason for that may be that he's just not very good), so after escaping from his TV, he's decided to depart from Johnny's life...but not without making him suffer some, hoping for another Heroic BSoD.
- He did say he would return one more time...
- Shapeshifting: Unbelievably so, aside from shapeshifting into Jigsaw he can turn into more monstrous versions of himself.
Troll ToadThe Blue Toad from New Super Mario Brothers Wii. Hes a Jerkass who hates everyone (including himself) and will go any lengths to screw people over, even of it means screwing himself over in the process.
- Knight In Sour Armor: Despite his hatred towards everyone, he still volunteered to help Mario, Luigi, and Yellow Toad save Princess Peach.
- Parental Abandonment: He was abandoned at a young age and grew up alone in the streets of the Mushroom Kingdom.
- Troll: His defining characteristic, as his name would imply.
Derpasaurus RektA dinosaur toy Uncle Greg found under the couch of the hotel room they were staying at during Too Many Games 2015. He became the group's official TMG mascot, and his name derives from his askew upper jaw.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: He's a fun-loving dinosaur.
- Happily Adopted: In a sense, considering Greg found him under a couch and took him home.
- Noodle Incident: How he got under that couch is anyone's guess.
- He also once got stuck in a tar pit; all he said about it was "it was a sticky situation".
- Verbal Tic: If he's not ending a sentence with "Rawr", it's usually the entire statement.
Wonky DickFailed Mascot from the 90's.
- The Bore: He's not exciting. His life is supposed to be mundane. The truth of this remains to be seen considering the other tropes in this folder.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Doesn't believe in right turns. Doesn't think things through.
- Hell Is That Noise: "If you hear the sound of two polar bears fucking, that's not polar bears fucking - That's Wonky Dick! BEWARE!"
- Hero with an F in Good: He apparently does things without thinking them through, like stealing. He also had weird quirks like making 9 to 5 workers his enemy. One of his Archenemies merely wants to keep him healthy. It is also said "He thinks, but not about morals. Just other random stuff".
- Nausea Fuel: "Wonky Dick, did you put your fingers up Mud Valley again? Wonky Dick!"
- On Ice: "Wonky Dick, on Ice! Only on CNN"
- Orange And Blue Morality: Has something against people who work a 9 to 5. "If you work a regular 9 to 5, you are an enemy to Wonky Dick!"
- Pilot: Wonky Dick Goes to the Post Office.
- Rogues Gallery: General Herpes, Indigestion, Dante the Catholic, and The Circumcisor.
- Side Kick: Wonky Dick's sidekick is rumored to be Coke Hyena. Trusted friend and ally.
- Too Much Information: Apparently wipes back to front...
- Tragic Villain: The Circumcisor is this to Wonky Dick. Just looking out for Crash, wants to make sure he doesn't get any preventable diseases down south.
Junior Deputy Rook Furburger
- The Ace: Despite being a new recruit, hes able to hold his own against the cult.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Despite aiming like he's looking through a brick and having silly masks and attitudes, he's not a patient sort. When confronted with the really stupid or cruel, he'll start lashing out. One example was the woman who hated Italians, upon which Furburger unloaded two full clips of shotgun ammo into her.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He has an irrational hatred towards gates, punches every cow he sees in the ass to death, and wears a Dinosaur Mask everywhere he goes.
- Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help: Constantly gets sidetracked by prepper stashes or other sidequests.
- Everyone Has Standards: Cannot stand Larry for the life of him, and knocks him out several times during the quest.
- Hero-Worshipper: His personal hero is Clutch Nixon, who he constantly tries to emulate by doing dangerous stunts.
- Idiot Hero: His hearts in the right place...Elliot: ...but God, is he dumb...
- Made of Iron: Tries to kill himself with explosives after the quest marker tells him to go to Heaven. Five explosives fail to do the deed.
- Manchurian Agent: Thanks to Jacob's brainwashing, the song "Only You" turns him into a soldier for the cult. This leads them to kill Eli.
- One-Man Army: Like his canon counterpart.
- Overly Long Name: Dead Rook Ironlung Kamikaze Saitama Sweetcheeks Pooper Scooper Quitter Derpasaurus Petty Mostly Blind Fireproof Dumbass Rank-Ass Buzz-Kill Pterodactyl Butterfingers Problem Solver Knucklehead Deputy Driver Furburger V of the 3rd Kind of the Jungle.
- Running Gag: Over the course of Far Cry 5 Let's Play, his name got progressively longer... and longer. Everytime Furbuger did something outrageous or something new was learnt about him, a name would be added. There was even one point where a name was changed as originally Mostly Blind was Partially Blind but Matts poor eyesight (as he did not have glasses at that time) caused him to get spotted, prompting Elliot to change it.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Ironlung is occasionally spelt as its original version, Ironlungs. Another case happens when Elliot mentions he will put down the name Butterfinger but is shown as Butterfingers.
A human girl who decided to go to the St. PigeoNation's all-birds school who later becomes a paranoid wreck trying to find a husband to avoid certain death.
- Dumb Muscle: Originally was this in the first route, as she kept failing every math test. However, she she subverts this trope in the second route as she takes math more seriously, slowly becoming a Genius Bruiser.
- Gamer Chick: Noted as going to the arcade often and playing Keymania IIDX.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: She somehow remembers the original timeline, though that has not done any wonders for her sanity.
- Sanity Slippage: After her untimely death at the hands of the Hawk Ninja in the first route, she becomes extremely paranoid and obsessed with having sex with Ryouta so that she wont be assassinated.