open/close all folders
The Shane Gang
The Shane Gang as a wholeThe hero team of the show, dedicated to stopping Dr. Blakk and other bad guys.
- Action Hero: All of the Shane Gang are always wanting in on the action and being the good guys while they're at it.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: They often fight with each other back to back and boy, are they good at it.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Averted, we see that the Shane gang is training a lot of the time.
- Invincible Hero: Despite their losses, the Shane Gang has never gotten terribly hurt from their battles. Except that that one time Eli got ghouled.
- My Horse Is a Motorbike: The Shane Gang all ride Mechabeasts which can turn into motorbikes and vehicles of the like.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Technically there's two, but Pronto is distinctly more nonhuman than Kord. If you wanna start counting the slugs though...
- True Companions: They are all close to each other and treat each other like family.
Voiced by: Samuel VincentThe current Shane, a family dedicated to protecting Slugterra.
- Action Hero
- A Father to His Men: Despite being just his slugs, Eli cares deeply for all his slugs he uses in battle. He also cares a lot for his teammates whom he considers his family.
- All-Loving Hero: Cares for the inhabitants of everyone in the caverns, no matter who they are.
- Badass Adorable: Eli's a cool slugslinging prodigy, but there's a reason why so many girls watch this show....
- Badass Normal: He doesn't have the muscle and strength of a troll or the tracking skills of a molenoid, Eli's pretty normal as humans can get, but it doesn't make him any less badass.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Has a tendency to go help anyone in need when possible.
- Conveniently an Orphan: While he's not exactly one persay, both of his parents have been absent from his life. Eli's father does still have a part to play, but Eli's mother left him. However, their absence makes it much easier for Eli to go to Slugterra and start adventuring.
- Disappeared Dad: His dad went missing in the first episode.
- Determinator: As long as there's just a sliver of hope, Eli will never back down from what seems like an impossible victory.
- Hero Protagonist
- Family of Choice: Eli has lost most of his family, but he considers The Shang Gang his family.
- Friend to All Living Things: Almost every slug Eli meets are extraordinarily friendly to him, even if they may be the slugs of enemies.
- Genre Savvy: Eli often tries to apply tropes from things he watched on the surface to things down in Slugterra, like ghosts and zombies.
- Good Samaritan: Even if it costs his something in the process, Eli always puts others first before himself.
- Hurting Hero: Sometimes, being a hero hurts. Especially making decisions like having to stop himself from helping his father for the fate of the cavern.
- I Call Her "Vera": Not a straight example, but Eli may come across as this to some people in-universe, as evidenced by Pronto's reaction to hearing Eli talking to his slug, Burpy. He is technically naming his ammo.
- Instant Expert: It should be noted that Eli's entire slug experience until he turns 15 is probably from books until he got to enter Slugterra.
- Kid Hero: He's only fifteen years old. He hits is 16 birthday by the end of Into the Shadows so he's growing out of it.
- Like Father, Like Son: In addition to taking up his legacy, Eli even looks a heck of a lot like his father, Will.
- Missing Mom: Eli reveals in Into the Shadow that his mother had left him when he was only 10 years old for an unknown reason and that he hasn't seen her since.
- Mind Rape: Was done so by Goon Doc when he tried to turn Eli into his Dark Slinger. He was forced into submission into his own mind and lost control of his body.
- Mysterious Past: Other than his father being Will Shane and that he was from the Surface, not much is known about Eli's life before Slugterra. Later it is revealed that he has never talked about his past, even with his friends who he considers his family. He reveals that he had a less than satisfactory life after his father disappeared and his mother left him, leaving him to go live with his uncle.
- Naïve Newcomer: Was this at the beginning of Slugterra. Effectively graduated from this after the first season.
- Nice Guy: Is inherently nice and a good person at heart. He is prone to trust people and giving second chances.
- Parental Neglect: Eli was abandoned by his mother when he was only ten years old and had been picked up by his uncle.
- Parental Abandonment: When he was only 10 years old, Eli was abandoned by his parents. It couldn't be helped his father's situation, but his mother apparently willingly abandoned her ten-year-old son.
- Pursuing Parental Perils: Eli knows that his father disappeared protecting Slugterra, but he's still determined to follow in his footsteps.
- Secret Keeper: As the current Shane, Eli has a lot of secrets to keep.
- Take Me Instead: Does this when he drags his friends into trouble in the episode A Distant Shore.
- The Champion: One to the 99 Caverns. Possibly to all of Slugterra.
- The Corruption: Became corrupted by Goon Doc and fell under his control for a moment. He did manage to break free though thanks to Burpy and Doc.
- The Heart: Undoubtedly one to the Shane Gang and the 99 Caverns. If he falls, a Shane falls, which is usually a bad thing. He's the only thing between the bad guys and Slugterra. Whenever he goes missing or gets incapacitated, the Shane Gang gets heavily handicapped.
- The Hero: But of course.
- The Leader: To the Shane Gang.
- The Watson: Because Eli grew up on the surface and not on Slugterra, what is common knowledge for other characters is not something he could be expected to know and he would need an explanation from his friends. This includes the caverns dying if the slugs abandon it and notable baddies his dad took on, like Blite. The situation then gets reversed when the gang learn from Eli that the surface world is real. They don't really understand the astrophysics that would explain the Sun or how the Moon would stay in the sky.
- World's Best Warrior: Eli is undoubtedly one of the strongest and most adept slugslingers in all of Slugterra.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Once Eli had used the Drop to get down to Slugterra, he doesn't know a way to get back up to the Surface where he grew up. But then again, he doesn't really want to.
Beatrice "Trixie" Sting
Voiced by: Shannon Chan-KentShe was tired of bad people getting away with their crimes and set out to make a difference.
- Badass Normal: She's just a regular old human, but oh is she badass.
- Camera Fiend: She has the camera and she's going to use it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Trixie does the most of this out of the entire Shane Gang.
- Fiery Redhead: When Trixie gets mad, you don't want to stand in her way. Pronto seems particularly terrified of an angry Trixie.
- Girly Bruiser: Being a girl doesn't stop Trixie from knocking down people twice her size.
- Intrepid Reporter: She loves recording stuff with her camera and putting them up on the Slugterra equivalent of an internet.
- Little Miss Snarker: Trixie loves making those smart remarks.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: She prefers to go by the name Trixie, though her full name is Beatrice.
- Redhead In Green: Has red hair and her outfit/eyes are green.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead
- Smurfette Principle: Only female on the Shane gang.
- Stronger Than They Look: Despite being the second smallest person on the gang, she can knock down people towering over her.
- The Chessmaster: Shows signs of having this when manipulating the Hooligang, notably Billy, to do things she wants.
Voiced by: Andrew FrancisA Cave Troll who is skilled in slug slinging and engineering.
- Ascended Fanboy: When Kord gets to join his favourite slugball team in "Slugball". He also becomes a Mall Cop during Dawn of the Slug.
- Blue Is Heroic: He's on the force of good and he also has blue skin.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Despite being the strongest of the team, Kord also has one of the biggest hearts.
- Genius Bruiser: Kord is incredibly smart, but he also packs just a big a punch.
- The Big Guy: He's the biggest of all the members of the Shane Gang.
- The Engineer: Kord maintains and upgrades the team's mechs beasts. He also made the upgrade that turns the mechas into vehicle mode allowing them to go faster.
- The Smart Guy: He's one of the most tech-savy guy on the Shane Gang. He's always the one doing the calculations and anything of the sort.
- Fanboy: Kord is this to Mario Bravado.
- Gentle Giant: Kord is huge and imposing but very friendly. And according to Eli's father, you'll never find a more loyal friend than a cave troll.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Kord has this.
- Never Bareheaded: His helmet spins around at times, but we never see a troll's bare head.
- Nose Art: Kord's blaster.
Voiced by: Lee TuckarA Molenoid who acts as the tracker for the team.
- Ambiguously Gay: He has been seen ogling a bejeweled purse, been okay with crossdressing (Even asking "Do these shoes go with my outfit or are they too matchy-matchy?" Keep in mind that he was in a dress and heels at the time), and so far the only love he's shown to anyone was in the final episode of season one, "Light as Day," when he latched onto Eli's leg with a lovey-dovey look on his face.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: Pronto's underwear has been seen several times in the series. The best two Pronto underwear scenes are from episodes "Keys to the Kingdom," where Pronto and Sedo get hit by Thresher slugs and end up fighting in their undies, and "Upgrade," where Pronto's Mecha Beast rips off his pants.
- Also, in the first few minutes of Slug Fu Showdown, Pronto gets stuck in Jellyish Slug goop and the Shane Gang pulls him clear out of his pants, which are then eaten by a giant turtle.
- Also in Slug Fu Showdown, Pronto is demonstraiting his brand of Slug Fu when the Elementals start swarming him. When they leave, Pronto smiles thinking hes won. Then he suddenly looks down and realizes he's once again in his underwear. Then, he has to ride into Quiet Lawn Caverns with his undies exposed.
- Friendly Sniper: Averted. His blaster has a scope and a longer barrel, so in theory, he ought to be capable of more accurate shots. But his bravado and poor choice of slugs in combat make these attachments the only things keeping him from being completely ineffective as a slinger.
- Funny Foreigner: He has... some sort of accent, though most of the Molenoids in the show speak in fairly standard North American accents.
- Gasshole: Not only is Pronto's favorite slug a Flatulorhinkus, but every time Pronto is scared or surprised a fart sound can be heard.
- Large Ham: Pronto is this in SPADES.
- No Sense of Direction: Zigzagged. Sometimes he gets the gang where they need to go without a hitch, sometimes it would be through unnecessary peril via the scenic route.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He may be king of the Molenoids but this doesn't stop him from taking an active part in helping save and protect Slugterra.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Has an inflated opinion of himself.
- Spanner in the Works: The fact that the Gamemaster researched our heroes to get into their heads but didn't bother with Pronto is precisely what allows our heroes to turn the tables.
- Third-Person Person: Pronto refers to himself this way.
- Wedgie: Pronto gets these A LOT. They first start in the episode Undertow, when Pronto gets wedgied on a giant hook, then several more times from such things as a fishing pole, a crystal worm, and Kord.
Voiced by: NoneThese slugs are the arsenal of the gang. There are many of them.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Buzzsaw can transform into a buzz saw like thing to saw through things.
- Action Bomb: Rocky and Sparky both explode as part of their attacks. They always come out fine afterwards. Those they hit on the other hand...
- Action Pet: They're often treated like pets, but they're also one the only way to effectively battle in Slugterra.
- Aura Vision: Mo the Enigmo can allow Eli to see the aura of slugs.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Doc was known to be a key player in the story since it was the only slug the heroes had with them that can cure ghouls, but it turns out Doc was so much more important than that. It became a Guardian slug, and it turns out it is also one of the original five elemental slugs, specifically, the Energy elemental.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mo (though it could also be Too Dumb to Live, since it fails to realize that some of the traps are deadly).
- Cool Pet: They all are, but Burpy most prominently.
- Elemental Powers: A lot of them have this.
- EMP: The Xmitter slug from "The Hard Part".
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Bludgeon punches things after hitting velocity.
- The Medic: Doc, and was a key slug in the battle against Blakk since Doc can cure ghouls.
- Undying Loyalty: The Shane Gang's slug has an undeniably strong loyalty to the Shane Gang. Especially Eli's slugs who share a special connection with him; Burpy being the most notable one.
- Oh, Crap!: During The Journey Home, the slugs manage to show this by expression alone when they encounter various perils, like falling down a canyon, getting chased by a slughound, dealing with sharp electric saws and getting chased by Locke and Lode.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Look how adorable they are in proto-form.
- Silent Snarker: The slugs on occasion. Most commonly expressed by Burpy after something Pronto said or did.
- Stink Bomb: Stinky gives of smelly smells.
Voiced by: Vincent Tong
- And I Must Scream: The very fact that he was trapped in his own mind, possessed by a ghouled slug for 'twenty years of his life'. He doesn't remember much, thankfully, which makes it easier for him to recover from.
- Arc Hero: He was one of the main characters in Season 4 & 5, but he was demoted to a minor character once the Shane Gang returned to the 99 Caverns.
- The Atoner: When he realized how much carnage he had caused to the Eastern Cavern as the Dark Slinger, he and the Shane Gang went and fixed it all; redeeming himself in the process.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: The years he spent as the Dark Slinger have resulted in him being hated by the people of the Eastern Caverns.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: Subverted. While he never rejects the Shane Gang's friendship, he is quite used to fighting alone. This causes some tension, at least at first.
- Mind over Matter: In his first appearance as part of the Shane Gang ("Return of the Elementals"), he demonstrates that he can change the direction of his fired slugs through "slug fu".
- Older Than They Look: Turns out he was the dark slinger for 20 years.
Dr. Thaddius Blakk
Voiced by: Mark Oliver
- Abusive Parents: His father belittled and abandoned him as a child. This did not help his development at all.
- Big Bad: The primary antagonist of the show, and many other antagonists either work for him or otherwise receive their ghouls from him.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Blakk acquired the land rights to build the Slugterran express by force.
- Dark and Troubled Past: When he was a child, his dad abandoned him to a ruthless criminal and said criminal enslaved him to be a miner working under terrible conditions.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: His entire obsession with changing slugs into ghouls is because Will Shane convinced all his slugs-including Burpy-to leave him because Blakk was mistreating them. He literally cannot understand why the slugs would prefer someone who didn't mistreat them.
- Evil Makes You Ugly: Dr, Blakks Dark Water experiments and subsequent trip to the Deep Caverns made him uglier (and his mundane evil actions before that seem to have been doing this to some extent).
- In the End, You Are on Your Own: He believes this due to his Dark and Troubled Past and Might Makes Right in contrast to the Shanes that practice The Power of Friendship and For Great Justice.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Dr. Blakk is talented with technology and science, but uses his technology for evil.
- Rival Turned Evil: Thaddius Blakk to Will Shane, after the Master chose Will over him. Though if his flashback about the decision is to be believed, Blakk was well on his way to evil by the time he met and dueled Will.
- Start of Darkness: "Back to Blakk" throws in a Freudian Excuse as well. Blakk's own father was a Snake Oil Salesman who was run out of town, leaving his son behind to be enslaved in a mine.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He honestly thinks that he can control the Darkbane tribe after they invade Slugterra. Eli repeatedly points out how insane this is.
- Take Over the World: Dr. Blakk's plan, using his Ghoul slugs.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Before his father abandoned him to a gangster.
- Weak, but Skilled: Unlike the Shanes, Blakk was never an exceptional slinger but made up for it via his innovative tendencies.
- In a flashback he actually wins against Will while trying to impress Shinai, but is shunned by her after he tries to kill an unarmed Will. Considering this is Blakk's flashback, though, there may be a hint of Unreliable Narrator involved.
Voiced by: Brian DrummondOne of Dr. Blakk's minions.
- The Dragon: To Blakk, but most of the time, he does more administrative roles.
El Diablos Nacho
Voiced by: Brian DrummondOne of Dr. Blakk's minions.
- The Dragon: To Blakk, or so it seems at first. He's actually this to Brimstone and was just the liaison between him and Blakk.
Billy Voiced by: Brian Drummong
Shorty Voiced by: Unknown
Glasses Voiced by: Unknown
Voiced by: Sam Vincent
Voiced by: Scott Mc Neil
Voiced by: Colin MurdockA baddie Will Shane took on and was lured into the Cavern of Time, an inescapable maze, by Will.
- Poisonous Person: His signature slug is the Neotox slug which releases a poisonous gas.
- Revenge by Proxy: After learning Eli was a Shane, he tries to get revenge on him after Will tossed him into the Cavern of Time.
- Revenge Before Reason: Even after Eli promised him his freedom for helping them.
Voiced by: Michael Kopsa
- Bigger Bad: Brimstone, Leader of the Darkbane Tribe
- Walking Spoiler: You can't really talk about this guy without spoiling a lot of things.
Goon Doc slug
- The Corrupter: A Ghoul slug who can ghoul other slugs.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: He was the true Big Bad of "Ghoul From Beyond."
- Grand Theft Me: Can take control of one slinger as his host to do his bidding.
- Outside-Context Problem: Is from the eastern realm, beyond the known 99 caverns of Slugterra.
- Walking Spoiler
- The Corruption: He was the one who made the Goon Doc Slug, nuff said
- BFS: His blaster also doubles as his sword
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The emperor is simply known as the emperor
- Really 700 Years Old: He fought against Junje's ancestor to try and make the Eastern caverns part of his empire. After that failed, he ended up taking a swim in dark water, which gave him immortality.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Foil: To Eli. He a powerful slinger with a strong bond with one of his Slugs who set out to walk the same path his father. But while Eli loves all his slugs and his against ghouling them, Tad's love only extends to his main slug Pieper and he has no problems ghouling the rest of his slugs. And while Eli holds his father in high regard and wants to live up to how great he was, Tad has a low opinion of his father and wants to be better than him
- I Am Not My Father: Tad wants to be seen as better than his father in how he runs the family business of slug ghouling.
- I Call Her "Vera": Like Eli, he's named his main Slug, Pieper.
- Like Father, Like Son: He was very eager to take over his father's business.
- Walking Spoiler: There's a reason this villain's tropes page is covered as thoroughly as it is.
King of Sling
Voiced by: Michael Dobson, Trevor DevallOne of the competitors in the tournament who was defeated by Trixie.
- Day in the Limelight: Received significant focus and development in his titular episode.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: The people of his home cavern treat him like a Living Legend even though he's this. Turns out they already know he's fake, but enjoy his grandstanding because they would be bored out of their minds without him.
- Homegrown Hero: Though his cavern knows he's a Fake Ultimate Hero, they enjoy his exploits anyway.
Voiced by: Brian DrummondOne of the most well-known blastersmiths in Slugterra.
- Artificial Limbs: The Old Master engineer Redhook. Let's just say it's a Meaningful Name.
- Meaningful Name: He has a red hook, and is named Red Hook.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: Not a friendly fellow, even to the Shane Gang. When he greets the Gang warmly when they come to upgrade their blasters, Eli and Trixie are instantly suspicious, and with good reason as it's actually Twist.
Voiced by: UnknownA trick-shot legend who retired from the spotlight and now runs a pizza store.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: What he is known best for and what he teaches to Eli.
Voiced by: Maryke Hendrikse
- Classy Cat-Burglar: Dana plays this one straight - but with SLUGS! And a Shadowtech MacGuffin.
- Impossible Thief: Dana Por portrays herself as such using Shadow Clan Tech.
- The beginning of "The Gentleman And The Thief" is a lovely example. She takes Mario Bravado's pizza while he's still tossing it!
- Redemption Equals Death: Played with, See the Shane Gang faked Dana Pors death to Blakk so he stop hunting her, And in return she turns over a new leaf and gets along better with Eli.
Voiced by: Kathleen Barr
- Killed Off for Real: She was killed by Blakk in the episode she debuts in.
- Renowned Selective Mentor: Shinai, the Unbeatable Master shows up at her own choosing to pick one student out of many hopefuls to teach.
- Old Master
The Shadow ClanA race of mysterious creatures that reside in the shadows. They maintain the balance of slug energy in the caverns.
- Dark Is Not Evil: They're a race of shadow-dwelling creepy monsters who maintain the balance of slug energy.