- Badass Beard: His appearance in Homecoming has him with a full beard.
- Badass Biker: After finishing the game for the first time, you get a new costume for Travis; motorcycle leathers (which his comments confirm that he owns, alongside a bike).
- Berserk Button: Parental Abandonment and Abusive Parents, big time.
- Continuity Nod: He makes a cameo in Silent Hill: Homecoming, giving Alex a lift to Shepherd's Glen.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Which you unfold during the game.
- Nice Hat: His default trucker hat, the Explorer's Costume also gives him one snazzy piece of headgear.
- Parental Abandonment: His mother Helen went insane and was locked up in a psychiatric hospital, and presumably died prior to the events of Origins. His father Richard committed suicide after being unable to cope with his wife's insanity and incarceration.
- Serial Killer: Many subtle hints throughout the game hint Travis really is a deranged serial killer. In particular, the ominous description for the shovel...
- Rule of Symbolism: A recurring symbol of his character is a lonely moon; the lyrics to the song O.R.T. on the soundtrack describe him this way. His aforementioned motorcycle leathers have said moon on the back of the jacket.
- Spanner in the Works: The Order did not plan on Travis's interference blowing their plans to hell for 7 years.
- Villain Protagonist: In the "Hole in the Sky" ending, Travis and The Butcher are actually one in the same, and he's been running around Silent Hill murdering people.
Travis' mother, who went insane and attempted to kill him.
- Abusive Parents: Tried to gas Travis and herself.
- The Lost Lenore: To Travis' father in a sense. She might still be have physically alive for years after the event, but to Richard, the woman he loved died the day she attempted to kill their son.
- Offing the Offspring: Attempted to at least. The Butcher ending implies that she did it because she foresaw that Travis would become the Butcher.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: If the Butcher ending is to be believed, her attempt to kill Travis is likely exactly what turned him into a vicious serial killer, along with the death of his father.
The ButcherOne of the town's monsters that Travis encounters repeatedly throughout the game. This one "butchers" the other monsters, hence its name. The bad ending of the game hints that Travis is the Butcher.
- The Butcher: It's his name.
- Enemy Without: If you end up getting the bad ending. The Butcher is a manifestation of Travis himself, boiled down to the symbol of Travis the big muscular monster with knives who slaughters people for no real reason.
- Humanoid Abomination: Similarly to Pyramid Head, he's an aspect of the town given a humanoid form.
- Rule of Symbolism: The helmet covering half his face might represent him being a split personality of Travis.
- Shadow Archetype: By default, the Butcher starts out as this and remains this in the good ending. Both Travis and the Butcher wander Silent Hill attacking monsters, but the Butcher is only in it for the bloodshed, while Travis has little choice but to fight for his life. That is, unless the player/Travis decides to start attacking monsters for the sake of killing them...
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: To the Pyramid Head. A note in the game even directly compares the two, with Pyramid Head referred to as "the executioner".