This is a partial character sheet for Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. Visit here for the main character index. Subjective trope and audience reactions should go on the YMMV page.
The Otomo Nin (オトモ忍 lit. "Companion Ninjas") are the mecha used by the Ninningers. Created by their grandfather, the Last Ninja, as the Nin Shuriken in order to help them fight giant enemies they would surely face. The Otomo Nin can combine to form the team's Humongous Mecha, Shurikenjin. There are also alternate combinations for the formation of Shurikenjin, granting even more battle capabilities to the young ninjas.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Has no equipment by himself, and has no need for them.
- Combining Mecha: Forms either the chest for Shurikenjin in its standard formation or an arm for its different configurations.
- Fragile Speedster: Is meant for hit-and-run tactics. As a single mecha, though, it's relatively easy to knock around.
- Kibbles and Bits: The toy version has a Mecha hand stuck between its knees, severely limiting its movements!
- Leader Forms the Head: Played with. In the standard Shurikenjin formation, Shinobimaru forms the chest and the head, but in all other combinations he becomes the right arm.
- Ninja Run: Common way for charging to the enemy.
- Breath Weapon:
- By itself, it breathes out hot flames.
- The Drago Burst Finishing Move for Shurikenjin Drago has it shoot out lighting from its mouth instead.
- Combining Mecha: In the standard Shurikenjin formation, Dragomaru forms the left arm and the main weaponry. In the Shurikenjin Drago formation, he replaces Shinobimaru as the center, forming the chest and head.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Can go Up to Eleven if it forms Shurikenjin Drago with the other four main Otomo Nin.
- Kibbles and Bits: To a less extent compared to Shinobimaru, but the toy version has also has a Mecha hand between its thigh area.
- Kite Riding: How Dragomaru arrives to the battle... despite having wings.
- Yakumo has a spell that allows Dragomaru to go into Kite Rider mode.
- Playing with Fire: Only in its regular form.
- Our Dragons Are Different: It is a western one, rather than eastern. This is in reference to Yakumo studying Western magic in England.
- Combining Mecha: Forms most of the upper torso of Shurikenjin's configurations.
- Cool Car: True, it may be a dump truck... but it's a giant, ninja dump truck!!
- Cool Chair: While forming Shurikenjin, Dumpmaru makes up the throne that other Otomo Nin utilize to form the robot's various formations.
- Dishing Out Dirt: It can store large rocks on its back to be thrown with a large impact.
- Spikes of Doom: Throws Dump Makibishi as projectiles.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: Dump Makibishi is a form of caltrops.
- Animal Mecha: A giant robot puppy.
- Combining Mecha: Wanmaru forms the left leg of Shurikenjin... well. helps Byunmaru form it, at the very least.
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: Carries a blade in his mouth.
- The Load: Compared to the other Otomo Nin, this little guy was not exactly battle-worthy, seeing as he accidentally saved Kamaitachi when Momo Ninger tried attacking. Later episodes showcases its niche, though, such as being able to take on a cat-based Youkai well and neutralizing a Youkai's supersonic with its own.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Can howl at a pitch so high, it cancels out one of the Youkai's ultrasonic.
- Robot Dog: And an adorable one, too!
- Combining Mecha: Forms the bottom half of Shurikenjin.
- Cool Train: It's a ninja train.
- Flung Clothing: After a fashion. Byunmaru, when "off duty", hides as a normal bullet train. When it's summoned, it drops the train look like a cloak.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the five, it is the fastest-moving Otomo Nin (at 700km/h) and has the highest power (7,500,000), according to The Other Wiki.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: The Byun Shuriken.
- Train Escape: When the fight gets too tough, MomoNinger would summon Byunmaru to invoke a Type 2.
- Attention Whore: Like his Ninninger partner, Rodeomaru loves to showboat, even doing some air guitar during a fight.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Moreso than Shinobimaru, where he engages in kickboxing.
- Bayonet Ya: He can summon the Bison Rifle on his own without combining with Bison King Buggy to become Bison King.
- Boxing Battler: During a closeup fight, Rodeomaru tends to become a pugilist.
- Cowboy: Of the Rodeo Rider variety. Not only does he have his own vehicle to ride on, he actually DOES have a lasso that he can use, living up to his name, but typically he'll fight with speed and his fists and kicks.
- Leader Forms the Head: Pretty much. The shuriken that makes Bison King's face and hat goes right over top him.
- More Dakka: How he first used the Bison Rifle by himself.
Bison King Buggy
- A Load of Bull: While mostly vehicle in nature, it does still seem to have bison traits, like goring, and then flipping foes with its horns, as well as bull-like cries.
- Cool Car: Or rather, buggy.
- Transforming Mecha: Forms the entirety of Bison King, including the head, and weapon. Rodeomaru only acting as the resting place for the shuriken.
- An Axe to Grind: Offers the Paon Axes to Shurikenjin Paon.
- BFG: Sports twin shoulder-mounted weapons in humanoid mode.
- Breath Weapon: Can use pressurized air through the Paon Jet attack.
- Elephants That Suck: It uses its trunk to clear out Youkai Tsuchigumo's webs this way.
- Extendable Arms: Using the Paon Shuriken in the Ichibantou gives the Ninningers the ability to stretch their limbs out.
- Mythology Gag: A green elephant that gives the combined mech a bladed weapon?
- More Dakka: You'd think Paonmaru would get rocket launchers from those big weapons. Nope; just chain guns.
- Rule of Three/The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Unlike the other Nin Shuriken, Paonmaru's Nin Shuriken only has 3 blades.
- Transforming Mecha: Can transform into a humanoid form via the Otomonin Henkei.
- War Elephants: Natch.
The team's perseverance to stop a monster's plan causes their next reclaimed sealing shuriken to manifest into a new Otomo Nin Shuriken. At first, when Akaninger used it, it seemingly did nothing. But as the team chased the revived Youkai to the sky, a light-blue colored UFO appeared in front of them and it's revealed to be the Otomo Nin Akaninger had summoned earlier. As Yoshitaka watches the battle afar, he noted that he built the Otomo Nin based on the alien technology he learned from contacting aliens during his time as a ninja.
- Awesome Backpack: When not combined, this is how it has the UFOmaru Launcher stored.
- BFG: Gives Shurikenjin UFO the UFOmaru Launcher.
- Gravity Master: Using the UFO Shuriken in the Ichibantou allows the Ninningers to control gravity on an object of their choosing.
- The Greys: Seems to be based on these guys.
- Transforming Mecha: Like Paonmaru, UFOmaru can transform into a humanoid form.
A purple submarine Otomo Nin that can switch from that form to a humanoid form, with a surfboard. One of Akaninger's Sealing Shuriken transformed into after heightening his Nintality after some time. Starninger speculated that said heightening came from the two being able to work together for real, for the first time.
- Cool Mask: Surfermaru wears a scuba mask.
- Making a Splash: Downplayed in that it creates water in a form of waves, allowing the user to surf on it.
- Surfer Dude: Its humanoid form's motif.
- Transforming Mecha: It can transform from a submarine into a surf that comes with his own surfboard!
As Kyuemon defeated Lion Ha-Oh with his newly-powered Karakuri Kyuubi, the Ninningers turned to Tetsunosuke to help create their own Otomo Nin. Upon building the physical body, they learned that their soul has to be imbued into their respective crafts in order to grow them into usuable mechas. At first, they tried to do so the same way as Yoshitaka, but they didn't have the Nintality. Takaharu eventually initiated a new way to bring their Otomo Nin to life — by improvising their fusing techniques to combine themselves with the mechas!
- Animal Motifs: The first four are made up of mythical creatures, while the last two uses exotic animals.
- The Four Gods: 3 of the 6 components are modeled after 3 of the deities.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Zigzagged
- Inversion: The first of the list is based more on the Fenghuang, rather than the Suzaku (Vermilion Bird) of The Four Gods.
- Played Straight: The last two are based on exotic animals (Panda and Carp), rather than mythical ones.
- Mythical Motifs: Hououmaru is based on The Phoenix, while Seiryuumaru, Genbumaru and Byakkomaru are based on three of The Four Gods.
- One-Winged Angel: The Ninningers themselves can transform into these mechs.
- Orange/Blue Contrast: They generally have a dual color scheme of fiery orange and navy, together with the Ninningers' shuriken symbols colored with their respective color designations.
- Cool Plane: Its vehicular motif, where it can fly at the speed of Mach 1.2.
- Fragile Speedster: The Other Wiki measures its speed in Mach number, but it's tied with Magoimaru with the lowest power of the six Otomo Nin with 2,000,000.
- Leader Forms the Head: Docks itself at the back of the Otomo Nin Shuriken: Gekiatsu Dai-Oh to complete its helmet.
- The Phoenix: Fenghuang is commonly described as a Chinese Phoenix.
- Cool Bike: Its vehicular motif, and the second-fastest component after Hououmaru.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Another Dragon!
- Our Dragons Are Different: This one is modeled after the Azure Dragon of the East.
- Kibbles and Bits: The toy version has the top of its head painted with the face of Haoh Gekiatsu Dai-Oh.
- Turtle Power: Being modeled after the Black Turtle of the North.
- Panthera Awesome: Being modeled after the White Tiger of the West.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: Being modeled after the popular and exotic panda.
- Legendary Carp: Being modeled after a well-valued fish.
- Detachment Combat: Shinobimaru can easily get off the throne, perform an attack on the monster, and quickly return to the formation.
- Finishing Move: Shurikenjin: Splendid Slash!
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Wields Dragomaru's tail as the Drago Sword.
- Humongous Mecha: It IS a Super Sentai robot, after all!
- Leader Forms the Head: For the basic formation.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Uses the Drago Shield, formed from Dragomaru's wings, in this fashion, alongside the Drago Sword.
- Meta Mecha: The first mecha in franchise history to pull off this trope word for word. The closest before Shurikenjin were the Dairangers' Dairen-Oh and Kiba Dai-Oh.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: It is a ninja robot based on a Japanese festival shrine made up of a smaller ninja, an European dragon, a dump truck, a dog and a hi-tech train. It also has alternative forms based on a bigger European dragon, an Arabian elephant, an alien/astronaut, and a surfer.
- Breath Weapon: Shurikenjin: Drago Burst!
- Flight: In this formation Shurikenjin can fly and combat aerial enemies.
- Humongous Mecha: Of the dragon variety.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: With Dragomaru at the seat, the Shurikenjin takes this trope Up to Eleven.
- Razor Wings: Those wings are not for show, as Youkai Kappa learned the hard way.
- Tail Slap: Bonus points for its tail being the sword of the original Shurikenjin.
- Taken for Granite: Was petrified by Youkai Ittan-momen until Rodeomaru and Star Ninger came to the rescue.
- Wolverine Claws: The handguards on Shurikenjin's hands here turn into giant claws, to fit this beastial formation.
- An Axe to Grind: Wields the Paon Axes in battle.
- Badass Beard: Shurikenjin Paon's facial plate sports a nice one.
- Barbarian Hero: The beard and axes definitely evoke Hannibal-esque imagery.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: Zigzagged when it comes to Paonmaru. By itself, it does not use its tail as a weapon in any of its forms, but when it combines with Shurikenjin, its back is split open such as its tail is revealed to be the bladed part of the axe all along.
- Camera Abuse: Its Finishing Move involves the axes tearing down the screen while striking the enemy.
- Chest Blaster: The Paon Jet attack functions like this.
- Dual Wielding: It is provided with 2 axes.
- Mighty Glacier: With an elephant mecha at the center, the resultant Shurikenjin is slowernote , but more powerfulnote .
- Throwing Your Axes Always Works: Shurikenjin: Paon Boomerang!
- Whip It Good: Can extend out Paonmaru's trunk to grab/attack enemies.
- BFG: Wields the UFOmaru Launcher in battle.
- Cool Helmet: Shurikenjin UFO's face resembles that of an astronaut's helmet.
- Flight: More so than Shurikenjin Drago. While the latter only goes up to the higher atmosphere, UFOmaru allows Shurikenjin UFO to fly into space.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: What largely consisted of Shurikenjin UFO's fight against Ungaikyo.
- Mood Whiplash: After the fight with the giant Roidmudes in the Drive vs. Ninninger special, UFOmaru vanishes from the timestream, leaving Shurikenjin UFO without a center. Don't worry, he returns unharmed.
- Pistol-Whipping: The Ninningers quite often use the UFOmaru Launcher like this.
- Wave Motion Gun: Shurikenjin: UFO Big Bang!
A group of 4 sealing shuriken combined into a Combination Nin Shuriken during the Ninningers' fight with Raizo. When Raizo was grown against his wish, the core Ninningers gained the idea to use the new Shuriken to fight evenly with Raizo, which made Bison King and Shurikenjin combine together into King Shurikenjin.
- BFS: By combining Shurikenjin's sword and shield together with Bison King's Bison Rifle, it forms the Bison-Drago Sword.
- Horned Humanoid.
- Finishing Move: King! Unprecedented Slash!
- Meta Mecha: Is now a bigger version, with Rodeomaru and Shinobimaru helping to control the thing.
- Cool Board: Courtesy of Surfermaru.
- Hover Board: When not near water, Surfermaru's board becomes this.
- Making a Splash: Shurikenjin! Surfer Waveriding Strike!
- Slasher Smile: The faceplate gives Shurikenjin a shark themed, toothy grin
- Surfer Dude: Complete with surfer-themed standby music!
Haoh ShurikenjinThe combined form of Shurikenjin, Bison King, and Lion Haoh, it is the ultimate weapon of the Ninningers before Gekiatsu Dai-Oh replaces Shurikenjin.
- All Your Colors Combined: Formed from all six of the main mecha plus Lion Haoh.
- Alpha Strike: Its modus operandi is to hit the Monster of the Week with all of its armaments at once.
- Meta Mecha: Shinobimaru sits at the controls of Shurikenjin, which sits at the controls of Lion Haoh.
The main mecha of Star Ninger. Armed with a gun that also has a knife attached to the barrel.
- Bayonet Ya: The Bison Rifle is armed with a bayonet for close combat options.
- Camera Abuse: The Wild Buster puts bullet holes in the screen before shattering completely.
- Cool Gun: Is armed with the Bison Rifle.
- Finishing Move: Bison! Wild Buster!
- More Dakka: His primary way of dealing with foes. Notablely, its finisher even puts holes in the screen.
- Mythology Gag: A combined mech that consists largely of a bull mech with a smaller humanoid mech riding within?
- Shout-Out: Bison King's facial plate has a red visor in the shape of a star.
Bison King Drago
When Everyone helps Fuuka spend time with her dad, and Aka Ninger, Ki Ninger and Momo Ninger have to deal with Western Youkai Franken, Ao Ninger helps Star Ninger deal with the Giant Youkai Gashadokuro by combining Dragomaru with Bison King's left arm.
- BFS: As it has the necessary compoments, it can use King Shurikenjin's Bison-Drago Sword.
Sky OtomoNin Lion Ha-Ojo / Shishi-Oh / Lion Ha-Oh
A mecha modeled after an armored tank. Lion-Ha-Ojo's soul is manifested in the form of a human, known as "Shishi-Oh".
- Blood Knight: Only agreed to join the Ninningers after being promised to fight without restraint as he desires.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He is an exceptionally powerful OtomoNin, has a loud, booming voice, and thoroughly enjoys battles.
- Dirty Old Man: Acts like one towards the female Ninningers.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He seems selfish and doesn't want to save the world, but to go wild. However, he does offer good advice and help take care of Saika.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: He's not the one giving the upgrade. He is the upgrade device!
The fourth and final mecha of the series. Gekiatsu DaiOh consists of the six OtomoNin that the Ninningers themselves created in order to counter Karakuri Kyubi. Despite being unable to participate in many combinations, it makes up for this with its wide array of ninpo techniques.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fights mainly with punches and kicks, as well as ninpo from the Ninningers.
- Chest Blaster: Except it's not a beam. It launches the six pilots from its chest like a revolver.
- Finishing Move: Gekiatsu Dai Fever!
- Funny Bruce Lee Noises: The "ACHA!" sounds during its transformation sequence, which suit its fighting style.
- Hat of Flight: Hououmaru becomes this when the Ninningers use the Paonmaru Shuriken during their third encounter with Oboroguruma.
- Impossibly Graceful Giant: Probably the closest that Super Sentai has ever gotten to this.
- Lightning Bruiser: One of the best examples of this.
- Secret Art: Can perform more than a few tricks with or without the use of Nin Shurikens, a few of them being exclusive to it.