The characters of the anime and manga series Shugo Chara!. Please help with the blurbs!
Beware of Unmarked Spoilers!
The Guardians were founded by Tsukasa, making the current ones the second generation of Guardians.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: Not only are they leaders of the student body, they're also magical Guardians whose responsibility is protecting/purifying the Heart's Eggs of the students they watch over.
- Instant Fan Club: There are actually several of these, with overlapping memberships; they're formed prior to the start of the series. The Guardians as a whole (the boys individually, and even Amu and Rima before they join) each have fanclubs. Each fanclub is based on the target's outward character, not the inner one.
- Iconic Item: All the Guardians suddenly manifest an accessory related to their Chara when doing a Character Change, voluntarily or not, which serves as a visual indicator that hilarity is imminent.
- Magical Girl: Amu and the female members; the male ones are magical boys.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Well, "Red Girl, Blue Boy". The boys were blue outfits, while the girls, including Amu, wear red.
- Playing Card Motifs: The positions are titled "King" (occupied by Tadase), "Queen" (occupied by Nadeshiko/Nagihiko, and later Rima and Rikka), "Jack" (occupied by Kukai and later Kairi and Nagihiko), and "Ace" (occupied by Yaya). There is an occasional "Joker" position, which is currently occupied by Amu.
- School Idol: All of them, but especially Tadase.
- "We are all the main characters of our own stories!"
The main protagonist. Everybody sees Amu Hinamori as a "Cool and Spicy" girl. In reality, however, she's really just a clumsy girl who really has no clue, like the majority of the student population. This changes, however, when she wakes up to find three eggs, each containing a different Character Change, aka an aspect of the personality she wants to be: Ran (Amulet Heart) makes her sporty and athletic, Miki (Amulet Spade) makes her cool and artistic, and Suu (Amulet Clover) makes her sweeter and more domestic. When the Guardians, the school's student council, finds out about this, they invite her into their circle because she, with three Guardian Characters, has the perfect qualifications for the Joker's Chair.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: There's a reason why she couldn't stop thinking of the mischievous, catlike Ikuto. If that wasn't enough, one of her Guardian Charas, Miki, fangirls over both Yoru and Kiseki (the latter mainly because he has the same goal as many villains out there).
- All Your Powers Combined: Amulet Fortune appears to be this for Amu's four Charas.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her Amulet Heart transformation.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Ikuto.
- Cool Big Sis: Ami certainly thinks so.
- Doting Parents: Her parents crank this Up to Eleven... concerning Ami, of course.
- Dude Magnet: many guys like her, and she even has an Unwanted Harem.
- Even the Girls Want Her: "Cool and spicy!"
- Hair Decorations: She has her X-shaped clips. When Character Changed with any of her Guardian Charas, her hairclips change shape to the matching card suit. One would assume this holds true for Dia as well, but Amu never does anything less than a full transformation with her on the rare instances when Dia is there to help, so we don't see her hairclip.
- Harmless Electrocution: She gets electrocuted on an electric line.
- Exposed to the Elements: Amulet Heart's costume is a skimpy cheerleader's outfit... definitely not suited for cold climates, as she found out when she used her Character Transformation on a ski slope.
- Frilly Upgrade: Amulet Diamond and Amulet Fortune.
- Full-Name Basis: Most every villain, as well as minor character Misaki, refers to her by her full name.
- Genki Girl: As Amulet Heart.
- Girlish Pigtails: Amulet Clover and Amulet Diamond.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Considers Nadeshiko to be her best friend. This turns into Platonic Life Parterns once it's revealed that Nadeshiko is actually Nagihiko.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Whenever she Character Transforms with El, she'd use powers, that she herself had no idea how they worked.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Amu's hesitations about her duties as the Joker contribute to the whole mess in the Dia arc.
- Idol Singer: As Amulet Diamond.
- Image Song: Hanbun Ko No Heart. Since she is the main character, she gets a lot of them, but this is one of her few solo songs.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Amu's customized school 'look' and daily gear usually follow a cute punk chick aesthetic, which is unusual for a prepubescent Magical Girl. It does rightly earn her the nickname of "Cool and Spicy".
- Instant Fan Club: She had one prior to her joining the Guardians.
- Involuntary Dance: Ran did this to her via telekinesis in one scene in episode 6. She was not amused.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She starts the series as one, with her inner self being very sweet and well-meaning but her outer self being very cold and stand-offish and doing things like calling Tadase a "shrimp."
- Magic Skirt: Season 1 gave her a perfect example - covering even though it appears to be at right angles to her body. Then season 2 goes the opposite direction and chucks a Panty Shot into the opening theme. Then again this may be the animators trying to point out that Amu is wearing some kind of cheerleader shorts under there.
- Meaningful Name: Her name was derived from 'I am...' and the various phrases that can follow it.
- Mercury's Wings: Wings appear next to Amu's feet during character changes with Ran.
- Modesty Shorts: Wears a pair as Amulet Heart, but given how short they are, it's easy to mistake them for her underwear.
- Ms. Fixit: She has this as a superpower. As Amulet Clover, she can use "Remake Honey", which creates a splash of golden honey that returns broken or worn-out objects to their original states, including (but not limited to) people's Heart's Eggs. Thanks to this, Amulet Clover doesn't need to use Open Heart to purify X Eggs, and can handle multiple X Eggs at once.
- Naïve Everygirl: Not usually an anime trope, but it fits here.
- Nice Hat: Amulet Spade gives her an artist's light blue beret.
- Nice Girl: Is this through and through despite her occasional Tsundere tendencies.
- Playing Card Motifs: Occupies the occasional Joker's Chair, where the requirements are three Guardian Chara or more. Her three main Chara are also named after suits of cards - Spade, Clover, and Heart.
- Precocious Crush: Given their age difference, her feelings for Ikuto can be interpreted as this.
- Power Gives You Wings: Subverted with Amulet Angel, Amu's transformation with El. She does have wings, but isn't all that powerful. Played straight Amulet Diamond, with her wing-like extensions
- Red Armband of Leadership: Amu has one of these (unlabeled), symbolic of her outward character's fame rather than any position. Perhaps this serves more of a purpose when she's recruited as the Guardians' Joker.
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: As Amulet Devil, she uses an electric guitar to release powerful soundwaves that represses weaker abilities.
- Rookie Red Ranger: She's the most recent addition to the Guardians, but she has the most eggs and is the first to achieve a Character Transformation.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Perhaps moreso as Amulet Clover, but she's still a nice if easily flustered girl.
- Ship Tease: Ikuto particularly.
- Stocking Filler: As Amulet Spade.
- Stripperific: Amulet Devil
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Her public persona (and Impossibly Cool Clothes) gives her the "cool and spicy" title, but she just wants to be like any other girl and is actually somewhat shy. She opens up more as the series goes on, and the public reaction to this kicks off a story arc.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: A yellow-eyed Magical Girl.
- Transformation Trinket: The Humpty Lock.
- Tsundere: Funnily enough, Amu is this way towards Tadase, often acting coldly towards him while inwardly squeeing over how cute he is. For example, when she sees him wearing a dashing white uniform:Tadase: This outfit is a bit big for me though. Does it look funny?Amu: *blush* Not really! And it's not like I think it's cuter because it's a bit big!!
- She tends to get like this around Ikuto at times too...but, Ikuto's...well...understandable.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Not only does she have the most transformation costumes, Amu also has a big supply of fashionable outfits for her casual wear.
- Unwanted Harem: She even lampshades it at one point while contemplating her various crushes: "How many guys do I like?! Sheesh!"
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She seems to have a knack for philosophical speeches despite only being in elementary school
- Zettai Ryouiki: Amu's legwarmers tend to be just a little bit too low. JUST BARELY. Some of her other outfits invoke this though.
Voiced by: Reiko Takagi (anime), Hidemi Hikita (musical)
- "I'm sorry, but there's already someone I like."
The current King of the Guardians; polite, smiling Tadase couldn't be any more popular with the ladies (although he could care less). By the first day of school, even Amu has a crush on him, leading her to confess (however she was turned down, as he already liked someone - ...his dog.) His Guardian character, Kiseki, was born from his desire to grow stronger - but of course, in true Shugo Chara! fashion, this translates to having Kiseki's dream being to Take Over the World.
- Adorably Precocious Child: Despite still being in grade school, Tadase takes his job as King very seriously.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: His crush on Amulet Heart.
- Barrier Warrior: His special moves, like Holy Crown, are mostly defense-based.
- Berserk Button: Never, EVER, call him a prince. Or anything that sounds like it.
- He goes into Hair-Trigger Temper territory whenever Ikuto is involved.
- Bishie Sparkle: And he knows it: He deploys it, along with being Bishie already, four times over the course of the series as a convincing device: Once to Saeki Nobuko within order to make her drive the four pre - series Guardians (And, later, Amu and Utau) towards easter headquaters, once to halt Ami from pestering Amu to allow her to see Utau (Which backfires as soon as Ami addresses him as "prince".) once towards Nagihiko, to convince him to rejoin the Guardians (Which almost succeeds, but is eventually dismissed... Then Amu comes by and does one of her own accidentally, which seals the deal.), and once to sell tickets for Utau's comeback show (Which is entirely successfull.)
- Bishōnen: Lampshaded gloriously by Kukai's brothers at one point:"Aw, you should have brought home a girl!""Oh, but he does look like a girl, doesn't he?"
- Chick Magnet: The most popular boy in school.
- Childhood Friends: With Ikuto and Utau.
- Dragged into Drag: Alongside Kukai by Nagihiko.
- Evil Laugh: Probably one of the best within all of anime.
- First-Name Basis: [[Other than his Childhood Friends Ikuto and Utau,]] Amu is the only character that he's on a mutual first name basis with.
- Full-Name Basis: Always calls Ikuto by his full name, although, unlike most occurrences of this, it is most definitely NOT due to camaraderie.
- Generation Xerox: His uncle Tsukasa looks exactly like an older version of him. Emphasized in the last chapters of the manga where a future version of him appeared, leading to Fan Dumb believing that future!Tadase was Tsukasa since the first day.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: A blonde magical Guardian.
- Idiot Hair: Although he is most definitely not an idiot.
- Image Song: Chiisana Hoshi ~The Little Prince~
- Loves My Alter Ego: Tadase only likes (or admits to liking) Amulet Heart. Amu is just a friend... at first.
- Subverted when he realizes his mistake and finally confesses his feelings to Amu, liking her and not her Alter Ego because he realizes that they're the same person.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: When in Character Change mode.
- Real Men Wear Pink: As Platinum Royale Tadase wears a very frilly cream-colored costume from head to toe.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Averted normally, but played straight whenever he's in Character Change mode.
- Secret Keeper: Other than Tsukasa, he was the only person aware of Nagihiko's true gender from the start.
- Take Over the World: Again, in Character Change mode. Fear King Tadase's diabolical laughter!
- It IS still there within his non Character - Changed form, and is in fact his most powerful of Dreams. However, he just keeps undercover when Kiseki isn't there to offer a large amount of ham.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Ikuto. Thankfully, it gets better.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Amu in the anime, since it ends without animating the final chapters. Additionally, the anime's filler episodes had a tendency to add more Ship Tease between him and Amu.
Voiced by: Saeko Chiba (anime), Kanon Fukuda (musical)
- "Could you please keep this secret from the others a while longer?"
Nadeshiko is introduced as the beautiful, charismatic Queen's Chair of the Guardians, who openly befriends Amu and was the one who constantly attempted to get her to join. She succeeded, of course, and she soon became one of Amu's best friends and one of the few people she'd confide in. A bit later on, though, Nadeshiko abruptly leaves to study dancing in Europe: much to Amu's sadness and disappointment when she left without saying goodbye. Her place as the Queen's Chair was filled by Rima. Nadeshiko comes back later on, though, although with some curious reveals that she isn't quite she what she seemed at first.
- The Ace: After the emergence of his male Chara, Rhythm, he began excelling in all types of sports that all of the sports teams wanted him.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Nagihiko and Nadeshiko are both very attractive.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Rima.
- Berserk Button: Don't belittle the Fujisakis' strange family upbringing.
- Bishie Sparkle: As Nagihiko, who is quite attractive.
- Bishōnen: So pretty and girly-looking that it's hard to believe he's really a boy even when he isn't crossdressing.
- Cute and Psycho: Character Change with Temari. No one's entirely sure why you would want to be one of these, but you have to admit that it's better to be a psycho than to be a boy who's trapped in women's clothes because of some stupid traditions and has to keep up a "Yamato Nadeshiko" image EVERY DAY.
- Fake Twin Gambit: Nadeshiko and her "twin brother" Nagihiko are one and the same. He claims his female identity as his
- Gratuitous English: When Character Changing with Rhythm. "HEI, GAIZ!"
- Hair Decorations: As Nadeshiko, 'her' hair is tied up in a ponytail with a red ribbon that has sakura flower ends.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: In episode 85 of the anime, when going to a fashion event with the other Guardians, he ends up getting late, and when he does show up, his highly detailed outfit◊, which manages to be even more stylish than the girls' outfits, leaves everyone else in shock.Amu: It looks like we have a winner...
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Amu considers Nadeshiko to be her best friend. This turns into Platonic Life-Partners once it's revealed that Nadeshiko is actually Nagihiko.
- Hidden Depths: His real name is "Nagihiko". He used to love playing basketball when he was younger and was quite good at it, but his family made him take up the male tradition of crossdressing so he can study dancing. This forced him to keep his true, sports-loving self a secret, and secretly made him feel depressed and miserable.
- Hime Cut: Fitting for someone raised in a very traditional family. He's also a rare male example.
- House Husband: Even though he's not in a relationship, he has the qualities of one, such as cooking.
- Image Song: Hana Tegami
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He has long hair that makes him look even more girly.
- Meaningful Name: Nadeshiko's name may be related to Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Mr. Fanservice: As Nagihiko.
- Naginatas Are Feminine: To the extent that a Guardian born from a desire to be feminine and graceful wields one.
- Nice Hat: As Rhythm Beat, he sports a white beanie.
- Parents for a Day: With Rima when babysitting Yaya's younger brother at the second chapter of Encore!.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Temari is very pink, Rhythm is very blue.
- Power Gives You Wings: The bow in Yamato Maihime's back looks like a pair of butterfly wings.
- Princely Young Man: As Nagihiko.
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: The Fujisakis have a tradition of raising their sons as females so that they can easily become graceful while dancing.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has very long hip-length hair even as a boy.
- Sobriquet Sex Switch: He goes by Nadeshiko when he crossdresses; his real name is Nagihiko.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: He has a tough time deciding if and when to tell Amu, which is ironic in that one of the shows Aesops is to be honest with yourself, and others. However, he tells her in the final chapter of Encore!.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Leaving aside the crossdressing thing, Nagihiko is a really nice boy.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Played straight as Nadeshiko performs the female roles in the family's Japanese dance. Subverted by 'her' gender. Then Double subverted. Nagihiko ends up getting Temari, his female Chara back, maintaining small bits of "her" Yamato Nadeshiko-ness. Coincidentally, his Character Tranformation with Temari is called "Yamato Maihime".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair, though it could easily be stylized black.
Voiced by: Atsushi Abe (anime), Yuuta Koseki (musical)
- "It's been a while since we did it. Let's go, special training!"
One year senior to Amu, upbeat, energetic Kukai was the Jack's Chair during Amu's first year as a Guardian. He adores sports, as seen by his Guardian Character Daichi. He graduates by the end of the year, moving up to middle school, telling the Guardians that he's just at the other end of the school. He occasionally drops by to check in on them and to see how things are going. During her beginning years as a Guardian, Amu viewed Kukai as almost like an older brother.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He has red hair in manga illustrations, but it adapted to brown in the anime.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Utau.
- Big Brother Mentor: As the oldest of the Guardians, the others often turn to him for advice.
- Cool Board: His character transformation, Sky Jack, has one.
- Dragged into Drag: Alongside Tadase by Nagihiko.
- Fiery Redhead
- Just a Kid: Utau tends to call him a child even though they are only three years apart.
- Last-Name Basis: Addresses everyone but Utau and Tadase by their last name.
- Mr. Fanservice: Upbeat and likable, not to mention cute and athletic.
- Pair the Spares: With Utau.
- Put on a Bus: On volume 4. He's not gone for good, though.
- Ship Tease: With Amu and Utau.
- Significant Greeneyed Redhead
- Spell My Name with an "S": Translations differ between Kukai and Kuukai.
Voiced by: Tomoko Nakamura (anime), Meimi Tamura (musical)
- "Hey, why is everyone so sad? I'm the baby here and the only one allowed to cry!"
The current Ace's Chair, Yaya is one year Amu's junior and is seen as hyperactive, childish and immature - however, this is only because of her desire to remain a baby forever because she felt that her parents were ignoring her in favor of her baby brother (as seen by her Guardian Character, Pepe). She is also a good, albeit rather clumsy, ballerina.
- Alliterative Name: Yaya Yuiki.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Compared to the other Guardians (most of whom are unusually mature for elementary school kids), Yaya's the one who more or less acts like a coddled 9 to 10-year-old.
- Cheerful Child
- Hair Decorations: Her pigtails are tied with big red ribbons.
- Genki Girl
- Genre Savvy: She reads a lot of Magical Girl manga and just happens to be a character in a magical girl series.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Image Song: Ookiku Naare!
- Improbable Weapon User/What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway? - "GO, DUCKIES, GO!"
- The latter is subverted within the fifth-towards-last episode. DUCKY WALL OF SOUND!
- Joke Character: Most times when she tries to fight, all she does is get herself hurt in a comical way or she ends up hysterically running away from the weakest enemy on the battlefield. The creation of her Character Transformation only slightly improves it. Completely subverted within the fifth-towards-last episode. See the entry above for greater specifications.
- Ship Tease: In the third chapter on Encore!, with Kairi.
- Summon Magic: Her powers as Dear Baby are summoning rubber ducks (who are apparently sentient) to attack/distract/run away from the enemy.
- Sweet Tooth: Apropos for her childish nature; in the second op she stuffs an entire slice of cake whole into her mouth.
- Token Mini-Moe: Even when the other main characters are, at most, two years older than her, at least until Kairi came along. she still fits this in terms of appearance and personality though.
- Third-Person Person: "Yaya no Kokoro, Unlock!"
- The Un-Favourite: Feels like she is this to her parents compared to her baby brother, which is why she acts so childish all the time.
- Zettai Ryouiki
Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi (anime), Karen Yagishita (musical)
- "Teacher, there's nothing funny, so why would I smile?
A New Transfer Student who replaces Nadeshiko as the Queen's Chair. This earns her a warm reception from the boys in school (while the girls are annoyed by her arrogance), resulting in an Instant Fan Club because of her beauty. Beautiful as she is, however, Rima's got her own insecurities. However, it did, when combined with her liking for comedy, help create her Chara Kusukusu.
- Adult Fear: Arguably deconstructed. Having your child kidnapped is a horrific thing, yes, but worrying about it to the point that you essentially keep her locked up inside a house almost the entire time is not a good idea.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nagihiko.
- Berserk Button: Don't even think of telling a joke wrong or insulting comedy, or even refusing to go to an exhibition of it, in Rimas presence.
- Bishoujo: In-universe, Amu does comment that she "looks like a doll".
- Calling the Old Man Out: Eventually, she tells her parents that she is a person rather than an object for them to keep locked up.
- Catchphrase: "How foolish" and "Bala-Balansu."
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Rima gets this way about Amu when she wants to hang out with Nagihiko. This even happen when she shows purple aura behind after Amu's hugs Nadeshiko for nearly a minute. Boy was she pissed.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was kidnapped a few years before the start of the story, but although the kidnapping failed, it made her parents suffocatingly overprotective.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Towards the rest of the Guardians, especially Amu, Yaya and Nagihiko.
- Emotionless Girl: When she first appears but she learns to express her feelings better once she opens up to Amu.
- Hair Decorations: She usually sports a little Alice ribbon, which becomes a big red bow when she Character Transforms into Clown Drop.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Has blonde hair for a beautiful and prestigious young girl.
- Image Song: Itsuka wa Romansu
- Instant Fan Club: Just like Amu, there was one dedicated to her shortly after she enrolled into Seiyo Academy.
- Little Miss Snarker: So snarky for such a little girl.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Clown Drop has it as her special move, except using juggling clubs, and only six at that. The way they move and the "trail" was very distinct, though.
- The series is animated by Satelight.
- Meddling Parents: Due to her previous failed kidnapping, Rima's parents are very controlling and overprotective, which has a large toll on Rima. Eventually she throws them a Calling the Old Man Out speech for treating her like an object to hoard and lock up rather than their daughter.
- New Transfer Student
- Older Than She Looks: While she's the same age as the other characters, she's still awfully short.
- Parents for a Day: With Nagihiko when babysitting Yaya's younger brother at the second chapter of Encore!.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is so long that it goes down to her waist.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The calm, proper Blue to Yaya's childish red.
- Serious Business: Comedy, so much it is her Berserk Button.
- Shout-Out: The pose she does when imitating the "Bala-balance!" gag is clearly taken from Dragon Ball's famous◊ Fusion Dance pose.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: She's so pretty that in her backstory she was kidnapped specifically because of her appearance, as her kidnappers thought that they would be able to charge a higher price for her because as such.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Just like Amu, she hides her true personality using a cold facade. She gets better little by little.
- Token Mini-Moe: The youngest-looking member of the main cast.
- Tsundere: Type A towards Nagihiko.
- Wise Beyond Her Years
Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga (anime), Reo Sawada (musical)
Kairi becomes the new Jack's Chair after Kukai graduates. He is very serious, strict and organized, and he tends to ensure that the Guardians get their tasks done. His Chara is a samurai, Musashi.
- Baby Of The Bunch: Becomes the youngest member of the guardians after he transfers back, to Yaya's dismay.
- Bishōnen: Much like Tadase and his predecessor of the Jack's Chair, Kukai.
- Class Representative: He isn't one, but his personality granted him this nickname.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: A male example who later warms up towards Amu, and later, the rest of the Guardians.
- Dual Wielding: Samurai Soul has two katanas.
- Everything's Better with Samurai: His Character Transformation.
- HeelFace Turn: Thanks to Amu, he later decides to side with the Guardians.
- Gender-Blender Name: Some of you may mistake him for a girl at first glance because one has the same name as him.
- In-Series Nickname: He is called 'Class Representative' ('Inchou', 'Prez', or whatever the fans want to call it) by Yaya and Amu.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Samurai Soul wields two katanas.
- The Mole: For the Easter company, at first. Amu later convinces him to do a HeelFace Turn.
- Put on a Bus: Leaves to transfer back to his old school.
- The Bus Came Back: But in the manga, he transfers back.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: He has a few scenes in the anime where his glasses glow in a manner that is reminiscent of Professor Tomoe.
- Ship Tease: In the third chapter on Encore!, with Yaya.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: From time to time...
- Token Mini-Moe: He may not look or act as young as Yaya, but that doesn't change the fact that he's actually the youngest among the guardians.
- Wise Beyond His Years: He is one year younger than Yaya.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: During Character Change.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has green hair. Like Nadeshiko/Nagihiko, it could very well be stylized black.
- Younger Than He Looks: He is the youngest guardian, being only 10 years old. But he has nearly the same height as Amu, Tadase and Yaya.
Voiced by: Erika (anime)
Voiced by: Yuuichi Nakamura (anime), KENN (musical)
- "Oh, geez... You're just so fun to mess with...
Although introduced as an Easter employee, it is pretty clear from the beginning that Ikuto doesn't care about their plans. If he does find the Embryo, he plans to use it for his own purposes to free himself from the control of his current employers. When not trying to find the Embryo, he can generally be seen romantically teasing or just plain screwing with Amu. Has a lot of annoyances. Kazuomi never helped at all.
- Bare Your Midriff: A male example, when transformed as Black Lynx.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Amu.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: As Death Rebel.
- Cat Boy: Quirks included. Watch!
- Curtains Match the Window: Though in the Anime they appear to actually be purple at times...
- Dark Is Not Evil: He wears all black and is called the "black cat of misfortune," but he is not exactly a villain.
- Eyepatch of Power: Seven Seas Treasure
- Handsome Lech: due to the fact he's The Tease around Amu, she thinks of him as one.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Purposely acts cold towards the people he cares about so they don't get involved with his problems.
- Image Song: Tsukiyo no Marionetto
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Amu for some time.
- Lecherous Licking: In the 3rd episode, he licks Amu's 3rd egg.
- Leitmotif: His violin, whenever he appears as Death Rebel.
- Meaningful Name: The "Tsuki" in his family name means "moon"; he has several scenes on the backdrop of a (usually full) moon.
- To be precise, Tsukiyomi is the name of the Japanese God of the Moon.
- Mr. Fanservice: Read the other tropes in this section and you will know why.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: The reason he wants the Embryo so badly is to free himself from being bound to Easter. And with the way Easter treats him, who can blame the guy?
- Punch-Clock Villain: He only works for Easter because his mother bound him to the company. He doesn't like his job one bit and sees the Embryo as his one ticket to freedom.
- Put on a Bus: In Shugo Chara!! Dokki Dokki. One of the main reasons the fans dislike the season.
- Ship Tease: With Amu.
- Sinister Scythe: Wields one as Death Rebel.
- Sleep Cute: When Ikuto is sick and crashing at Amu's place, she notes he "looks defenseless" when asleep. The fans noticed a long time ago...
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Has a habit of doing such. Particularly to Amu.
- Stripperific: Black Lynx
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- The Tease: He loves to teasingly flirt with Amu.
- Troubled, but Cute
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Literally has blue hair.
Voiced by: Nana Mizuki (anime), Misaki Yonemura (musical)
- "I won't lose... to Hinamori Amu."
A junior high student model turned singing idol. She is actually Ikuto's younger sister. Utau had tried to find the Embryo to release her brother from Easter, but she never succeeded. Utau is very attracted to Ikuto and becomes extremely jealous of Amu because Ikuto shows an interest in her.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kukai.
- Big Brother Attraction: Towards Ikuto. She moves on later.
- BrotherSister Incest: With Ikuto, one-sided on Utau's part. She moves on later though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Her motivation right there.
- Creepy Cool Crosses
- Dark Magical Girl
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Frilly Upgrade: Seraphic Charm
- Girlish Pigtails
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Her Guardian Chara, El and Il.
- HeelFace Turn
- Idol Singer
- Image Song: Blue Moon
- Jerkass: At first. Later defrosts into more of a Lovable Alpha Bitch.
- Magic Music: Utau's singing has various magical effects inside and outside of battle.
- Magic Skirt: as Lunatic Charm
- Meaningful Name: "Utau" means "to sing".
- Mega Twintails: Her pigtails are impressive in terms of sheer length and volume, with each individually being near equal the width of her head.
- Nom de Mom: Hoshina is her mother's maiden name.
- Pair the Spares: With Kuukai.
- Purple Eyes
- Rapunzel Hair: Her ponytails reach her mid-thighs.
- Ship Tease: In the first chapter of Encore!, with Kukai, complete with a kiss.
- Stage Name: Her true surname is Tsukiyomi, but she uses the surname Hoshina. Heck, even after discovering this, everyone still calls her "Hoshina Utau" instead of "Tsukiyomi Utau".
- Third-Person Person: At times.
- Tsundere: She's seemingly this towards Amu and Kuukai.
- Tutu Fancy: Her Seraphic Charm costume is supposed to resemble an over-the-top ballet tutu, with pink ribbons and white fabrics in excess all over the place as well as oversized angel wings.
- Zettai Ryouiki: And a Grade S◊, to boot.
Voiced by: Junji Majima (anime)
A former employee member of Easter. In order to find the Embryo, he joined Seiyo Elementary and became in charge of Amu's class in the disguise of a clumsy and kind-hearted teacher.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With his ex, Yukari.
- HeelFace Turn
- Megane: While spying. Him keeping them (even though it's shown that he doesn't really need them) is to show his HeelFace Turn and being more like the nice teacher he pretended to be.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: While under the guise as Amu's teacher.
- Official Couple: He later proposes to Yukari.
- The Glasses Come Off: Whenever he starts plotting something against The Heart's Egg or is serious. Lampshaded on the second season when he does this to warn the Guardians about the dangers of invading Easter headquarters, and Yaya replies with "It's been a while since we have seen your bad guy face!".
Voiced by: Rio Natsuki (anime), Kumiko Kougami (musical)
A former employee of Easter Company, Kairi Sanjo's older sister, and Utau's manager. She came up with a new project, Black Diamond, to find the Embryo and mass-produce X Eggs.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Nikaidou, her ex.
- HeelFace Turn: Along with Utau.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She eventually leaves a stable job at Easter and runs her own independent recording company after the Black Diamond incident.
- Official Couple: She accepts Nikaidou's proposal.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With her little brother Kairi. Even their hair colors are opposites.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Magenta hair, in her case.
Voiced by: Mitsuru Ogata (anime)
The managing director of Easter company, a middle-aged man who is also the stepfather of Ikuto and Utau, and the former superior of Nikaidou and Yukari.
- Abusive Parents: He treated his stepson and stepdaughter, Ikuto and Utau, respectively, like crap, because of his jealousy towards their biological Disappeared Dad, Aruto. He also forced his grandson, Hikaru, into becoming the head of Easter while still young; while well-intentioned, he didn't even once take his grandson's feelings into consideration. This led Hikaru to suppress his loneliness and become emotionally stunted, resulting in the absence of his Heart's Egg.
- Big Bad: Of both anime and manga, due to his actions.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: He brainwashes Ikuto into becoming Death Rebel, to ensure his stepson's compliance.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He only wanted to realize the wish of his grandchild, but his extremist methods like crushing people's dreams and abusing his stepchildren are despicable. He also failed in properly raising his grandchild, who became cold and emotionless to suppress his deep feelings of loneliness.
Voiced by: Akemi Kanda (anime)
- "Just do everything ya wanna do!"
The new Easter Company worker who has the ability to turn Heart's Eggs into ? Eggs and has a hobby of making ruby necklace jewelries which she puts around the necks of her victims.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-French and half-Japanese.
- Canon Foreigner: An anime-original character.
- Catchphrase: See the quote above, said everytime before extracting an Mystery Egg.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry
- My God, What Have I Done?: Oh, Nana...
- Ojou: Acts like one.
- Repetitive Name: Dream Dream. The first "Dream" is because she in uncertain of her dream, and the second one is... well, because every other Mystery Transformation has it.
Voiced by: Yoshimasa Kawata, Koichi Sakaguchi, Keiko Nemoto (anime)
- "We won! But... is this really right?"
Voiced by: Shozo Iizuka, Eri Nakao (as Hikaru Ichinomiya) (anime)
The true head of Easter Company.
- Creepy Child: Gives off this impression even when Amu anonymously encountered him in the street. He often says things like "Emotions are useless", for example.
- Cry Cute: Oh, Hikaru-kun!
- Greater-Scope Villain: His wish is the reason why his granddad is doing so many bad things to get the Embryo. And then it turns out that what everyone thought was the Embryo was Hikaru's Heart's Egg, which he threw away years ago. He DID need MacGuffin Delivery Service, just not for the reason he thought.
- Improbable Age: He's a kid who runs his own company.
- Evil Is Petty: Everyone wonders what Evil Plan Gozen wants to accomplish with the Embryo, but he just wants it as part of his rock collection. One more time: Hikaru ordered Kazuomi to send hundreds of innocent kids over the Despair Event Horizon because the Embryo was a shiny rock. The Embryo itself is so saddened by this that it stops shining and becomes a normal rock as soon as Hikaru touches it.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Except the deep voice is modulated by a device on his desk, which is part of the mysterious facade he puts up to the fact that he's definitely not old enough to be in charge of a Mega-Corp. In person, Hikaru sounds like the little kid he is.
- The Stoic: Taken straight to Emotionless Boy levels, since he discarded his Heart's Egg to cope with being groomed to run Easter and having no time to just be a kid.
- Not So Stoic: Once he regains his Heart's Egg and becomes the little boy that he truly is.
- Villains Out Shopping: The first time Amu meets Hikaru, he's out on the street in a shopping district for some unspecified, non-Easter-related reason. Amu shares a taiyaki snack with him. Although Amu gets the impression that he's a weird kid, neither Amu nor the audience are given any clue that he's in charge of the whole Easter corporation.
- Walking Spoiler: He's not seen until very late in the anime, and even then his true identity is only revealed in the last episode of Shugo Chara Doki!!. Just look at all these spoiler tags!
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He wants the Embryo for his rock collection, but he wants the rock collection itself to fill the void in his heart left behind when he discarded his Heart's Egg to withstand the stress of being groomed as the heir to Easter.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: All Charas are living embodiments of their chosen person's traits, wishes, and dreams.
- Dark Is Evil: If a person's Heart's Egg is corrupted by negative emotions and thoughts, their Chara will turn into a dark-skinned, imp-like character with an X on their heads.
- Invisible to Adults: Only the owners of Charas and children can see the Charas. Everyone else can't.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi (anime)
The first to hatch from Amu's eggs. Ran represents Amu's desire to be more honest, confident and athletic.
Voiced by: Nanae Katou (anime)
The second to hatch from Amu's eggs. Miki represents Amu's desire to be more sharp, level headed, and artistic.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Fangirls over both Yoru and Kiseki (the latter mainly because he has the same goal as many villains out there).
- Artsy Beret: She represents Amu's artistic side and wears a blue beret, which carries over into Amu's transformation using Miki's power, Amulet Spade.
- Nice Hat: Wears a light blue beret.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: As noted above, she's a tomboy compared to Suu, but whereas Ran is more athletic (albeit pink and cutesy), Miki is more artistic.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: As the series progressed, she has become more cheerful compared to her earlier appearances.
- True Blue Femininity: Downplayed; she wears blue and looks most cool-headed compared to the energetic Ran. Plus, as mentioned above, she's more interested in the arts.
Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (anime)
The third to hatch from Amu's eggs. Suu represents Amu's desire to be more caring, sensitive and improve her domestic skills.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's a total klutz and not all there in the head, but when it comes to cooking, cleaning, and purifying multiple X Eggs at once, Suu and the Amulet Clover transformation are the best choice among Amu's Charas. She doesn't even need to use Open Heart to save the day.
- Chef of Iron: Her magical abilities revolve around using cooking and food ingredients as defense and support.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Suu always does things at her own pace, treats cooking and cleaning as Serious Business, and jumps to a lot of odd conclusions. She always means well, though.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her impressive domestic talents are almost always immediately counterbalanced by her tendency to step on something important, trip, and spill everything.
- Damsel in Distress: She gets kidnapped by Nikaidou and is stuck in a cage in his apartment. Rather than angst about it, Suu spends most of her time cleaning Yuu's apartment and trying to convince him to do the right thing, and eventually succeeds.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Yes she can. With her magic, the food gets done instantly, and everyone loves the taste.
- Friend to All Living Things: When she gets lost, she can ask local pets to help her find her way, and they do. She was also instrumental to Nikaidou's HeelFace Turn.
- Meido: Her whole schtick. She wears an elegant, green maid outfit, and can cook and clean with the best of 'em. After she cleaned Nikaidou's apartment when he kidnapped her, he was so impressed that he joked about keeping Suu for himself again after his HeelFace Turn.
- Proper Lady: Her graceful curtsey, kind and polite demeanor, and talents in domestic chores make her the personification of Amu's aspirations to be this.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: When she was separated from the rest, Suu asked a dog to help her find her way.
- Third-Person Person: She does this along with a Verbal Tic, ending most of her sentences with "desu!"
Voiced by: Kaya Miyake (anime)
Tadase's Guardian Character. Kiseki was born for a combination of Tadase's desire to be stronger and the dream of world domination.
- Take Over the World: His goal.
Voiced by:' Ryoka Yuzuki (anime)
Nadeshiko's first Guardian Character. Temari appears to be elegant and Nadeshiko's desire to be more mannered and become a Japanese dancer.
Voiced by: Kouki Miyata (anime)
Nadeshiko/Nagihiko's second Guardian Character. Rhythm appears to be cool and outgoing, showing Nagihiko's boy self.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: He represents Nadeshiko's male identity, Nagihiko, and his suppressed love of sports and basketball.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Is a long-haired, attractive Chara.
- Nice Hat: Wears a white beanie.
- Walking Spoiler: It's hard to bring him up without mentioning the true, male identity of Nadeshiko.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (anime)
Kukai's Guardian Character. He was born when Kukai wanted to do many sports but had to choose.
Voiced by: Kimiko Koyama (anime)
Yaya's baby-like Guardian Character who was born from Yaya's desire to remain baby-like in nature.
Voiced by: Sayaka Narita (anime)
Rima's Guardian Character and represents Rima's desire to make others laugh.
Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (anime)
Kairi's Guardian Character created from his desire to become a samurai and protect the weak.
Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro (anime)
Ikuto's cat-like Guardian Character and represents Ikuto's desire to be free.
Voiced by: Hiromi Konno (anime)
The first of Utau's two Character Guardians introduced in the story. She has a devilish look and represents Utau's energetic and playful side.
Voiced by: Hyo-sei (anime)
Utau's second Guardian Character and is the complete angelic opposite of Il.
Voiced by: Kanae Ito (anime)
Amu's fourth Guardian Character. Diamond represents Amu's radiance. She is supposedly the most powerful Guardian Character.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (anime)
Rikka's Guardian Character. Rikka gave birth to her egg in Shugo Chara!!! Dokki Doki episode 15. Before she hatched, Rikka felt lost of herself which subsequently turned her egg into an X-Egg, but it was purified very soon. Hotaru is polite and elegant, balancing out Rikka's energy and spunk.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (anime)
Lulu's Guardian Character. She represents Lulu's desire to try many things and her specialty is making jewelry.
Voiced by: Miyuki Kawasho (anime)
- "Ohohohoho! We meet again, Amu Hinamori!"
- Alpha Bitch
- Cute, but Cacophonic: She can play the piano very well. Singing on the other hand...
- Designated Victim: By so far, the only character to have been X-Egged, X-Charaed and Mystery-Transformed.
- Evil Counterpart: Her Mystery-Transformation, Hinamori Dream (And the subsequents Gorgeous Heart, Gorgeous Spade and Gorgeous Clover), made her achieve this status, by having "evil" (Actually opposite rather than evil, but it still counts) versions of Amu's transformations and attacks... for one episode, and she doesn't even remember it.
- Full-Name Basis: One-sided on her part with Amu.
- Girl Posse: Is the leader of one.
- Hopeless Suitor: Sorry, but neither Tadase nor Kukai are interested.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Rich Bitch: She's not a bitch all the time, but she is rich.
- Unknown Rival: To Amu.
Voiced by: Kurumi Mamiya (anime)
- "Shugoi Chara!"
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Amu, her older sister.
- Bratty Half-Pint
- Children Are Innocent: The reason she can see Guardian Characters.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Not that her parents think so, but Amu seems to be bemused by Ami's squealy singing being deemed as fantastic by her parents.
- Daddy's Girl
- Hair Decorations
- Malaproper: Shugoi Chara, anyone?
- Spanner in the Works: Wouldn't you know it that she was the one that helped Utau make a HeelFace Turn, huh?