open/close all folders
The Basketball Team
- True Companions: Even before the apocalypse, all of the girls were a close-knit group of friends. Post apocalypse, their bond has gotten even stronger and none of them hesitate to support and help each other.
- An Arm and a Leg: Jeff loses his right arm in the very beginning of the comic. He is somewhat mournful about the loss of his dominant hand, but readily admits that Hotaru's quick thinking saved his life.
- Bi the Way: Coach reveals to the girls in a side story that he was in a relationship with Lyanna's dad Maurice in the 80's. Later, in another side story called SLAM DUNK INTO LOVE, Coach was portrayed as an eligible bachelor with the chance to date Malik, Ming, or Takao. He chose Takao, but the fan vote paired him with Manuel.
- Handicapped Badass: Although it takes time for him to adjust the loss of his dominant hand, Jeff is a capable survivor. His brief fight with Miriam, a feared bruiser, is a highlight.Miriam: Why haven't I heard of you? How are you dodging so well?
- Adorkable: Hotaru is the stand out example compared to everyone else; she's easily flustered whenever romance is involved (especially whenever with Kayla), refuses to curse, and squees whenever she gossips with a friend.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Early in the story, Hotaru gains two scars across her lips scraped by a zombie.
- Important Haircut: Hotaru gets her ponytail cut by Elise after it's grabbed by a passing zombie.
- Not So Above It All: While Hotaru likes to act mature, she slips into this often, whether gushing over gossip or becoming incredibly competitive.
- Black and Nerdy: Lyanna is a huge geek for Dungeons and Dragons, video games, anime, and other pop culture mainstays. In addition, she's described as the smartest member of the basketball team.
- Friendly Sniper / Improbable Aiming Skills: When The Old Man gives her a hunting rifle, she has no skills whatsoever regarding firearms. In just a few months, she can use a mid-range rifle for sniping capabilities, and does so to protect others caught by the zombies.
- Token Minority: In a Cast Full of Gay, Lyanna is the only character of the main cast who doesn't fit any label in the LGBTQ+ spectrum.
- Transgender: Chau is a transgender girl. Early on, the trip to her home to get her medications is implied to be her hormones, and she regrets that she never got to take a new picture with her family since starting her transition.
Ana Sofia Flores
- Alpha Bitch: Hotaru may be the leader, but Ana Sofia is the one who pushed her to her limits to get her there.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Ana Sofia is the plumpest member of the team and no less beautiful. Before the apocalypse, she was popular at her school and rejected three potential prom dates.
- The Stoic: Ana Sofia is easily the most level-headed of the main cast and tends to not display her emotions. However, she's the mental juggernaut of the group.
- Stout Strength: Ana Sofia is both a mental and physical powerhouse when she wants to be. She's even capable of dropkicking zombies.
- Badass Adorable: In Shootaround Short Stories, it's revealed that, in a stunningly Out-of-Character Moment, Lakka managed to fight three zombies off using her bare hands. She even gives a zombie a suplex.
- The Cutie: While she, Chau, and Lyanna can all lay claim this title, Lakka is the more straight forward example.
- Fun Size: The smallest of the basketball team.