List of characters in Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni!!
With her beautiful looks and outgoing personality, Akina used to be the leader of a group of hotties on the top of a class hierarchy. After her high school debut was delayed, however, she finds herself isolated in the class.
Next to Akina sits Kaede, an otaku girl who can turn into a bishoujo with her glasses off. Thinking that her looks are wasted on the otaku lifestyle, Akina decides to rescue Kaede from otaku life, but the only way to get close to Kaede is for Akina to pretend to be an otaku herself...
- Berserk Button: Otaku in general seem to be Akina's, but ask her about otaku things or suggest she does otaku stuff at your own peril.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: During the sports day, Akina keeps showing her otaku-dom by calling her teammates by PrePure colors and towards the end goes so far as to start Calling Your Attacks. Her teammates don't particularly mind since Akina's a stellar athlete and it's thanks to her they're winning.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Akina can't spit anything out, she had a hard time trying to call Kaede by her first name, she can't tell Kaede and Micchy she is more into fashion then otaku stuff, and she really can't say that she is in love with Kaede, especially to herself.
- Childhood Friends: With Chigusa.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Akina tends to react badly when people get close to Kaede, or Kaede does her normal glomping to others.
- Comical Overreacting: Akina is what you get when you mix this trope and Genki Girl.
- Covert Pervert: Her frequent day dreams aside, Akina is a little more into Yuri doujins then she would like to admit.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Akina believes this trope is in play between her loyalty to her old Girl Posse middle school friends and her new Otaku friends. This is proven several times to very much just in Akina's head
- Determinator: Akina will not just stop and give up when she sets her mind on something, even if it's watching a whole season of PrePure or saving Kaede from being an otaku.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Akina tends to be loud when she is playing video games, between the loud moaning and begging to stop or not be so rough, its pretty easy to understand what people are thinking when they hear her.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Akina manages to woo many a girl when she plays the part of a butler during her school culture festival.
- Everyone Can See It: Ironically, despite trying her best to hide it everyone in her class thinks she is a wierdo Otaku, but surprisingly enough no one cares and she is still fairly popular.
- The Fashionista: Akina is very into fashion and accessories. She spends over two hours making an avatar for an RPG because of this. Akina would probably be happier if she didn't think this trope and being an Otaku can't combine.
- Hair Decorations: Akina wears a heart-shaped hair clip.
- Homoerotic Dream: Akina has one (you have one guess about whom) on January 1, which apparently foreshadows her fate in the coming year... or something.
- Imagine Spot: Akina lapses into these when she thinks about saving Kaede from being an otaku, but they almost always devolve into a Yuri fantasy. Her over reaction to these things has caused her to be deemed a weirdo by her classmates, who just see her randomly freaking out.
- Living a Double Life: Akina is simultaneously trying to convince Kaede and her friends that she's totally an otaku, while trying to make everyone else think that she wouldn't have anything to do with otaku stuff.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Akina's personality best fits this trope, if things had gone her way she would have started a Girl Posse and talked about boys and clothes all day long. Instead she is forced to make the best of it with gross otaku.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls: Akina writes a Fanfic in chapter 29, after realizing her new favorite Prepure wasn't that popular on the net. Of course it ended up being a Self-Insert Fic.
- Oblivious to Love: Besides being in heavy denial about her feelings for Kaede, Akina was apparently oblivious to all the guys that seeked her attention in middle-school.
- Otaku: A clothes otaku, as Micchy points out.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Milk. Others comment it's probably the reason for her well-developed chest.
- Transparent Closet/Closet Geek: Akina, big time, at this point its a race to see what she confesses to first, being gay or being an otaku.
- Akina gets accused of being this quite a lot. Akina tends to be tsundere towards herself more than anybody, often invoking the Tsundere catch phrase of "It's not like I wanted this or anything" when justifying her developing otaku habits.Akina: (regarding her newly purchased book about seducing otaku girls) It's not like I wanted this book or anything!
Narration: She stayed up all night reading it.
- In chapter 32, during Winter Comichest, Akina is constantly rushing to see cosplayers or a booth immediately after complaining about not wanting to be there. In fact, the two events occur in the same panel. The scene ends with Akina complaining how sick of the place she is while a huge smile is plastered on her face.
- Akina gets accused of being this quite a lot. Akina tends to be tsundere towards herself more than anybody, often invoking the Tsundere catch phrase of "It's not like I wanted this or anything" when justifying her developing otaku habits.
- Wall of Blather: Akina's otaku-dom can pop up in this form when PrePure comes up.
- Beautiful All Along: Much to Akina's shock.
- Closet Key: Akina's, its a toss up for which was the deeper closet, being gay or being an otaku.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Kaede radiates much more beauty when her glasses came off, at least to Akina. In chapter 26, Akina convinces Kaede to get contacts, but after a day trying to keep Kaede safe from men and talent agents Akina realizes the glasses have their use.
- Lethal Chef
- Oblivious to Love: Kaede has no idea about Akina's feelings for her.
- Otaku: Her main hobby seems to be collecting Yaoi and Yuri Doujinshi although she also branches out into other nerdy hobbies such as anime, video games and tabletop RPGs.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: with Micchy. Kaede is the Girly Girl in looks and mannerisms but has zero girl power much to her chagrin.
- Cute Little Fangs: Micchy has one to go along with her Tomboy Gamer Chick image.
- In-Series Nickname: Doujin circles in Comichest known her as "Lady M".
- Supreme Chef: Micchy is easily the best chef among the main three. Possibly even among her class, given the admiration she gained cooking for the culture festival.
- Otaku: Video games otaku.
- Gamer Chick: She is easily the best gamer among her friends.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: with Kaede. Micchy is the Tomboy in looks and mannerisms but has much better fashion sense and a much, much better cook than Kaede.
Akina's Middle School Friends
- All-Loving Hero: Konatsu shows she's more than just a perverted sexual harasser in chapter 16. She loves making friends and will try her hardest to become friends with anyone even if they have nothing in common. Additionally, she really values the friendships she's got being fully aware that she has a personality some find annoying.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Konatsu implies this when she tells Touko she's always thinking about her when curled up in bed or taking a shower, though this is probably just more of her lewd teasing.
- Genki Girl: Konatsu, bouncing around and groping her friends seems to be her favorite past time.
- Skinship Grope: Konatsu frequently gropes Touko and Akina whenever she can, though she will frequently end up with a goose egg for her troubles.
- Childhood Friends: With Akina.
- The Ditz: She's almost always seen with a faraway look on her face, and her likes are listed as "stripes."
- Eyes Always Shut
- Flower in Her Hair: Chigusa wears a flower pin.
- Friend to All Living Things: According to Akina.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Likes scary things according to Akina and Moe.
- Oblivious to Love: Chigusa was confessed to by guys often in middle-school but was completely clueless as to what they wanted.
Kaede's Middle School Friends
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Hibari dyes her hair green and dresses up as a Gothic Lolita.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Hibari and Akina have an almost instant dislike for one another, but after playing a tabletop RPG together and Akina realizing that Hibari is as easily controlled by Ayu as she herself is by Kaede, they begin to become friends. In chapter 19 they bond even more when they work together to hide their Otaku hobby from Hibari's girl school friends and Chigusa.
- Living a Double Life: Like Akina, Chapter 19 reveals that Hibari too lives a double life, a hardcore Cosplay Otaku Girl and a Prim and Proper School Girl.
- Third-Person Person
- Otaku: Hibari is into cosplay and Tabletop RPGs.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Akina and Hibari, while at first butting heads, eventually bond over being secret otaku to a group of their friends. In later chapters like 21, they can at times seem closer to one another then anyone else.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hibari dyes her hair green. Chapter 19 reveals it's a spray on dye.
Makoto and His Friends
- Big Brother Instinct: He is actually pretty protective of his little sister.
- Chick Magnet: Makoto is actually pretty popular with Akina's old friends, much to Akina's horror, but he isn't interested in girls he's known since childhood, feeling it is a little too close to BrotherSister Incest and being a paedophile.
- Eyes Always Shut: Most of the time.
- Likes Older Women
- Nice Guy: Makoto, while he can indulge in otaku creepiness from time to time, is always willing to help. He loans Akina an expensive game console and builds a computer for her.
- Dogged Nice Guy: A rare platonic version, Makoto often goes out of his way to help Akina, but more often the not just gets punished instead of thanked.
- Otaku: The stereotype otaku in terms of looks and hobbies, but comes across as the most well-adjusted person in regards to society among the otakus.
- Only Sane Man
- Uke: Described by Nanae as the ultimate bottom whose name will never be before the "x".
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Somehow, she is never seen without her trademark gothi-loli outfit.
- Otaku: To the point that she makes her own Doujinshi for sale.
- Yaoi Fan Girl: Besides 2D characters, she ships Hoshi x Makoto. She also believes that all girls are this trope, no exceptions.Usuba: There is no such thing as a girl who hates BL. Without exception, all girls are rotten...
- Yaoi Fan Girl: Besides 2D characters, she ships Hoshi x Makoto. She also believes that all girls are this trope, no exceptions.
- The Paragon: Kind of. It's never spelled out, but hints are scattered throughout the manga that Usuba has, in one way or another, influenced every notable otaku's hobbies in it, such as when it's revealed that she was the one who got Hibari and, through her, Ayu into cosplaying.
- Smarter Than You Look: She took the entrance exam for Tokyo University just for fun and passed. She turned it down because it's far from Ikebukuro.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center
- Huge Schoolgirl: Towers everyone at school.
- In-Series Nickname: High-Speed Heavy Tank
- The Rival: Akina's.
- "X" Marks the Hero: Subverted. While she does have an X-shaped scar across her face, she isn't bad. She is, however, antagonistic to Akina's class during school activities.
- A Day in the Limelight: In Chapter 30, she teaches Akina and friends how to draw.