Characters for Shinka No Mi
open/close all folders
- Species: "Barely Human"==>"Supreme Human"
- Accidental Marriage: When he stole and ate the 10 "Evolution seeds" Salia's minions were rounding up for her, he de-facto volunteered to be her husband. He was not aware of this at the time.
- Accidental Proposal: Which he lampshades himself in chapter 12 of the manga. He places a "Ring of fortune reversal" on Altira's hand, to "cure" her -2 million luck curse that she was born with and then states "Let's be happy together. From now on, I will support you with all of my heart." When she pushes him off and runs away, embarrassed, he realizes the nature of what he did, but resigns himself to accept it because he can't take it back, thinking that as long as she's happy, that's good enough.
- Adaptive Ability: He gains immunity to every debuff he's subjected to, provided it doesn't kill him. By the end of chapter 6 of the manga, he's Nigh Invulnerable, and doesn't face a threat again until he's squaring off against an ancient dragon in chapter 11.
- Cosmic Plaything: Even "god" openly mocks him, by filling his stat sheet with insults. "Race: Barely Human" "Charisma: Too small to be measured."
- Cursed with Awesome: His body odor got him bullied, horribly, and he has no control over it, back on Earth. In this new world? The first monster that tried to chow down on him got a whiff, and died.
- Freudian Threat: On the receiving end. He's told by Alteria's friends and family that if he ever breaks her heart... an image of a sausage being cut in half is presented to the audience to keep things PG.
- Friend to All Living Things: Presuming they're not "monsters", animals really like him for some reason.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: When "god" saw that he was abandoned, it gave him "a blessing" called "Complete Disassembly." While other people get maybe 1 or 2 drops from killing a monster, Seiichi gets everything that monster could possibly drop upon its death, including inherent skills and abilities, and a book describing its life and memories.
- Interspecies Romance: Among his haremettes are a gorilla and a donkey, although they both assume a very attractive human form as a result of eating "Seeds of Evolution."
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for being bullied. Sadly, Truth in Television, especially in Japan, where the story originates.
- Lethal Joke Character: Unusual for a protagonist, he is this. When "god" grabbed his entire school and gave them all stat-sheets for the RPG-Mechanics Verse they were about to shipped off to, his stat sheet is not only full of insults, but all his visible stats are "1". He gets to this new world, and after a very tough struggle in the forest, surviving due to sheer luck, he becomes a mighty juggernaut that can pretty much "roflstomp" just about anything he comes across.
- Medal of Dishonor: Is granted the title "Stinky Player" on his stat sheet because his B.O. is directly responsible for killing several different types of monsters that were trying to make a meal out of him. At least this title actually allows him to control his B.O. now, so it's not a total loss.
- Minor Living Alone: Deconstructed. Per the original light novel, when his parents died, the rest of his relatives stopped caring about him, as a person, and began viewing him as a means of laying claim to his inheritance, as a perk to being his legal guardian. Not wanting any part of such politics, he sued to be an emancipated minor and seized the inheritance himself. Without parental guidance, or restraint, he overindulged and his nutritional balance was irrevocably sent out of whack, resulting in obesity and B.O., or so he believes.
- Mistaken for Cheating: When Rurune turns human for the first time, she's completely nude, of course. Alteria wanders into the stables to find a naked woman, who's a complete stranger at that, all but pinning Seichi to the ground, and doesn't believe him when he states that she's Rurune, the donkey. Fortunately, Salia is also there and momentarily sports her 400 lb gorilla form to prove that Seichi is telling the truth.
- Power of Love: How he defeats dungeon monster bosses, starting with Xenos.
- Power Parasite: In addition to his Adaptive Ability, he gains the skills and abilities of every monster he defeats, whether in battle, or some other way.
- Reality Ensues: Being trapped in a forest, constantly struggling to find enough to eat, without becoming food yourself, no modern amenities, like a bath or laundry machine, and your clothing is going to get pretty rank, quick.
- Red Baron: "Stinky Player" due to the fact that his B.O. was lethal to the "Clever Monkey" monsters, and he used it to win his earliest battles.
- Romantic FakeReal Turn: He pretended to love Salia because she was strong enough to crush him like a bug, literally, and she wouldn't take "no" for an answer. At the end of chapter 5 in the manga, he finds out her affection is genuine and falls in love with her for real.
- Showy Invincible Hero: Once he's finished "evolving", it's so gratifying watching him beat up enemies, like they're nothing.
- Stock Light-Novel Hero: Which is openly mocked on a repeated basis!
- Sure, Let's Go with That: When he questions Salia about the fact monsters more powerful than her actually exist, she responds by asking if he's worried about her well being. Not wanting to offend her, for good reason, he says "yes" even though he was, rightly, more worried about his own well being.
- Too Desperate to Be Picky: In the early chapters, he wound up consuming several dangerous, if not deadly, mushrooms, herbs, and grasses because he was starving and there was no other food available. Fortunately, both his Adaptive Ability kicked in, and he happened upon the "Seeds of Evolution."
- Willfully Weak: After escaping Foreboding Forest with Salia, he has to use the "Disguise" ability he got from Xenos to lower his stats so he doesn't mow down mountains, by accident.
The first "heroine" Seiichi meets.
- Species: Gorilla==> "Supreme Human"
- Abhorrent Admirer: At first. Just look at the top image. She also had a habit of grabbing Seiichi and dragging him to her nest, against his will. Fortunately, after chapter 6 of the manga, she becomes the lower image, and proves to be his ideal wife.
- Friend to All Children: Children really like her, as shown in chapter 8 of the manga, when she's tending to the children in an orphanage.
- Harem Seeker: She actively, and literally, pushes Seiichi to have other female love interests. Truth in Television as gorillas, as a species, are polygamous, the alpha male siring offspring with many females.
- Hypocrite: "That's dangerous, you know" says the 400 pound gorilla who tried to squash Seiichi like a bug when he retaliates with an equal, yet opposite, level of force.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Color illustrations show her eyes are as blue as a lake, and she's a truly innocent woman without a trace of malice in her body.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Spending most of her life as a gorilla, she doesn't comprehend the concept of "modesty." Fortunately, she does understand the concept of "comfort" and happily wears the clothes Seiichi provides for her, starting with a simple dress and boots.
- Instant Expert: Despite seemingly having never met humans before, she's en expert tailor who mended Seiichi's shirt, or replaced it with a new one, the first time she tries. How she's able to do it is never adequately explained.
- Naked First Impression: Appears in the story, completely nude. As a 400 pound gorilla, this is not an issue. After she's "evolved" into the gorgeous woman below, right in front of Seiichi...
- Not Quite Dead: Although she was pierced through the heart with a sword, she hangs on just long enough to watch Seiichi defeat Xelos. This triggers her 10th, and last, evolution, fully healing her and turning her to the very attractive woman on the bottom image.
- No-Sell: When Seiichi subjects her to the same odor that killed the "Clever Monkey" monsters that tried to eat him, not only does it have no effect, she openly declares that she likes it, to his horror.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The reason she demanded Seiichi fight her when they met is that she wanted to test his strength, as a warrior. She wasn't trying to kill him. It takes months of them living together for Seiichi to realize this.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her human form has seriously long hair.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Red hair and very kind.
- Supreme Chef: She's an excellent cook.
- Taking the Bullet: In the boss fight with Xelos, she takes a lethal blow in Seiichi's behalf, saving his life.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: After acquiring a "human" form, she can change to her gorilla form and back again at will. She prefers to be human most of the time, for reason(s) yet to be explained.
- Species: Human
- An Axe to Grind: Fights with an enormous war-axe.
- Bare Your Midriff: Abdomen is completely exposed.
- The Berserker: Deconstructed. She can boost her power level greatly by shutting down her consciousness, but against particularly strong foes, like an ancient dragon, this is just a liability.
- Big Damn Kiss: In chapter 14, she ambushes Seiichi with one while Salia is watching, to accept the Accidental Proposal. When Salia beams with joy and gives Seiichi her blessings, he reciprocates, And There Was Much Rejoicing!
- Born Unlucky: Up to Eleven. She was born with a luck score of -2,000,000.
- Breast Plate: Almost completely deconstructed. She wears a shirt underneath it to prevent chafing, but aside from serving as a bra substitute, it really doesn't protect all that much. In fact, aside from a bit of Underboobs without it, she's usually much better off.
- Cruel to Be Kind: She's prone to yelling at Seiichi, but her acts have merit. She's being hard on him so he doesn't exercise lethal stupidity as an adventurer and get both himself and whoever is with him killed as a result. Seiichi understands this, and loves her for it.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Dark skin, blonde hair.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Blonde and a truly kind, gentle woman.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: She's brash because she doesn't want people getting too close, thanks to being The Jinx, but she is a very kind and lonely woman who appreciates Seiichi's Accidental Proposal, wants to take him up on it, but is too scared and embarrassed to do so.
- It's All My Fault: Blames herself entirely for all the bad luck that happens around her. Seiichi disagrees, strongly.
- The Jinx: Her luck score of -2,000,000 doesn't just affect her. It affects everyone around her.
- Lone Survivor: Of every party she adventures with, until Seiichi came along and fixed that.
- Red Baron: "The Calamity" due to being Born Unlucky.
- Underboobs: She has a large chest, doesn't wear a bra, and her shirt is very short.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Combined with Percussive Therapy. She cows Seichi when she sees a naked woman atop him by smashing a stable bench. She's properly apologetic when she's informed that said woman is Rurune and was only nude because Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing.
- Walking Wasteland: Of bad luck, until Seiichi fixes that.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She does.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Her initial response to being assigned Seiichi and Salia for the entrance test to the Adventurer's Guild, and it proves justified.
A donkey Seiichi acquires on his path to become a top rank adventurer.
- Species: Donkey==> "Supreme Human"
- Big Eater: Her stomach is a bottomless pit!
- Defeat Means Friendship: When Seichi went to the stables to buy himself a mount, at the behest of the adventurer's guild, he was shown all sorts of ... less than desirable mounts, aside from those that were clearly outside his budget. Then Rurune kicked her way out of her pen that was sealed with iron bars, and not only beat down the stable owner, but tried to take down Seiichi with Elemental Punch enhanced kicks. When Seiichi retaliated by grabbing the offending leg, throwing her into the air, and then carrying her back into her pen as if she were a helpless baby, she turned around and swore fealty to him. She's been his devoted "knight" ever since.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a large, decorative bow to fashion her Rapunzel Hair ponytail.
- Hotblooded: She's very rambunctious, loud, and prone to outbursts of anger.
- Rapunzel Hair: Look at how long her ponytail is!
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: For some reason, she fully grasps the concept of public nudity being taboo among humans, despite presumably spending her entire life as a donkey. When the ten seeds of evolution Seichi fed her kick in and she turns human in front of him, completely nude, and she realizes it, she suffers an epic Freak Out!.
- Talking Animal: Even before she ate any "seeds of evolution," she was somehow able to speak fluent human.
- Too Desperate to Be Picky: When she's in a race being ridden by Seichi, and powerful monsters attack, she collapses from hunger. Having no other food available, Seichi feeds her seeds of evolution. Despite supposedly tasting bad, she happily eats her fill, then trounces the monsters, graphically. A bit later, the Bishōnen Line kicks in...
The one kid from Seiichi's school shown to treat him like a human being, not as an a gopher and a sandbag "to relieve stress."
- Blood from the Mouth: Played for Laughs. In chapter 72 of the original web novel, she "smells the scent of other women" on Seiichi. When she learns about his harem...
- She coughs up blood at learning Salia is his [Bride].
- She coughs up more blood at learning Alteria is his [Girlfriend].
- She coughs up blood once again at learning Rurune is his [Knight] and [Manservant].
- Lastly, she coughs up so much blood that she turns pale and faints, upon learning the Token Mini-Moe Cat Girl, Olga Carmelia, is his "little sister" and [Family].
- Childhood Friend: How she introduces herself to Seiichi's harem, thinking it will make her Top Wife. She coughs up blood when she finds out she's wrong.
- Class Representative: Is treated as such in the manga by the rest of the class, who is forced to endure Training from Hell in this new world, doing nothing but swordsman and magic practice, little rest, and not even having the right to complain.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Her hair is described as Raven Black in the web novel, but is illustrated as a shade of purple, as seen in the page image.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: On the receiving end. Seiichi did his best to brush off her kindness back at school because he was well aware the consequences if the rest of the class thought they were too close.
- Rapunzel Hair: As can be seen in the page image, her hair easily reaches her upper thigh.
- Token Good Teammate: As mentioned, she's apparently the only one in the whole school who saw Seiichi as a human and not a "pig" to beat up on.
- Yandere: As is revealed in chapter 72 of the web novel, she's always been strangely obsessed with Seiichi, but he's never noticed because the symptoms never had a chance to manifest. After being separated from Seiichi for months, not knowing his fate, and then suddenly being reunited in the Empire "hero" academy, the symptoms manifest, big time, with Perverted Sniffing, an irrational Entitled to Have You mindset demanding Their First Time with him, and coughing up blood when she realizes that not only does Seiichi already have other love interests, she can't demand being the Top Wife!
The guard Seiichi and Salia meet as they enter the human city.
- The Cassandra: He warns Seiichi to avoid the adventurer's guild and seek replacement ID elsewhere. While Seiichi does take the warning seriously, and learns that the adventurer's guild is a gathering of sexual deviants, Seiichi and Salia are forcefully dragged inside and Got Volunteered.
- It's Probably Nothing: When the "crime detector" crystal he uses to test Seiichi glows with such brilliance that it blasts him and others backwards, he goes "hmm, it never did that before, oh well, guess you're not evil" and lets them in with no further screening or questioning.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Rather than summarily arrest Seiichi and Salia when they arrived at the city gate, because neither of them had the required ID, he presumed their ID were simply lost (which does happen) and simply screened them for being criminals first.
The Adventurer's Guild Receptionist.
- Blue Blood: She's the daughter of a Marquis.
- Casual Kink: Seiichi and Salia walk into the adventurer's guild to see her in a domanatrix outfit, engaging in S&M play with a rather portly adventurer.
- Regal Ringlets: When she's in her professional "receptionist" role, her hairdo is this. The rest of the time they're Quirky Curls. They also happen to be Mega Twintails from their sheer volume.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: She can magically transform from her receptionist attire to her Dominatrix attire and back again in the blink of an eye.
Leader of the Adventurer's Guild
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Bizarre, but a competent guild leader, for the most part.
- Bystander Syndrome: The most he's ever done to the three "delinquents" who tried to sexually assault Seiichi is warn them to stop. He claims he's scared they'd go after him instead if he does anything else. This does not install confidence in Seiichi.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: His elevator doesn't quite reach the top floor.
- Macho Camp: Muscled as all get out, is introduced hitting on Seiichi and calling him "cute" before dragging him into Guild headquarters. Also wears nothing but a speedo, so he can show off how muscular he is.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When Altaria, Seiichi, and Salia went missing for three days, he mobilized the entire guild to go look for them, realizing such an occurrence is clearly a dangerous situation.
As a whole:
- Tragic Monster: None of them wanted to be dungeon bosses, full of grief and rage. They were shoved into the role by treacherous humans who envied them or their power and destroyed everything they care for to try and either enslave them, or kill them, in the attempt to steal their powers and gifts for themselves.
Xelos, the Noble of the Darkness
The first boss Seiichi must fight.
- Dark Is Evil: Attacks with dark-based magic, and is a being borne of grudges and hate.
- Dem Bones: Is a skeletal lich.
- Fake Weakness: When Seiichi first uses "Appraise" on him, it lists him as level 1, until Seiichi sighs in relief and then he drops the facade showing he's actually level 1500, when Salia was too much for him, at level 750!
- Go Out with a Smile: Combined with Graceful Loser. He's glad Seiichi beat him with The Power of Love, because now his soul will go to Maria, the maid he loved, who was taken from him.
- Lightning Bruiser: Moves fast, hits hard. Seiichi has to move even faster to beat him.
- The Lost Lenore: His maid Maria, who was killed before his eyes by the human emperor who turned him into a lich, as a means of execution, for petty jealousy.
The black dragon god
The boss of the dungeon Seiichi clears in chapter 11 of the manga.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Unflinchingly loyal to the first Demon King because the guy picked him up at his darkest hour and took him to a distant land where he could live in peace... until the humans summoned "heroes" who put an end to all that.
- Breath Weapon: He breathes fire.
- The Farmer and the Viper: According to his memories, he was worshiped as a god by a local village in return for protecting the villagers from all external threats, until said villagers got envious of his powers and rounded up a bunch of dragon slayers, to try and seize his power for themselves, or kill him.
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response: Invoked. Not only is he an incredibly powerful dragon, but can manifest a powerful fear aura to intimidate those below his level.
- Hero Killer: Came very, very close to killing Altaria.
- Never Be Hurt Again: The reason he became a dungeon boss is so that he will never lose to humans again, hoping to one day return to the side of the Demon King.
- Playing with Fire: In addition to his breath weapon, he has many fire-based spells.
- This Cannot Be!: When Seiichi manages to tank most of his attacks, unscathed.
- Villain Respect: When Seiichi manages to survive being tail-slapped, despite being immobilized, he goes "you did well, but as a mere human, you won't survive my strongest spell 'Hell Inferno!' VANISH HUMAN! With this fire from hell, not even your bone will be left!"