This page is under construction. All spoilers will be unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
open/close all folders
some caption text
Click here to see his Kraken's Hollow/corrupted skin
In-game name: iBallistiicSquid
Preferred name: Squid
One of the four founding members of the SMP. After obtaining Kindness from James in the First Stream, he has been determined to keep and regain the sword at all costs in a quest for power, and intends to find all the netherite items to become the most powerful person on the server.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Implied Trope. After he ended his POV of the Curse stream, he seemed to into a trance of sorts and was implied to be possessed by Kindness. However, when he logs on for the Post-Curse stream the next day, he finds Kindness in a chest surrounded by torches like a cult summoning circle, instead of in his ender chest as he last put it, implying that he had no memory of being possessed by Kindness.
- Ambition Is Evil: His desire to become the most powerful player on the server — through obtaining all netherite gear on the server — causes him to use unethical means to obtain said netherite gear — most notably Kindness the sword — and alienate himself from his friends, who confront him on this during their Plot-Mandated Friendship Failure, though it is still debatable how much of his ambition is fueled by the Artifact of Doom nature of the sword.
- Arrows on Fire: His bow is enchanted with Flame, which allows him to shoot these.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: During the Post-Curse Stream, he kills Dan while being possessed by Kindness.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: What happened to Squid after the Curse stream?
Whatcha mean? There's nothing to talk about! You know, I just went home, had a cup of tea
, the sword started speaking to me, and then— and then I went shopping
- Bystander Syndrome: During the Hunt for Netherite stream, he does nothing when Justin goes on his murderous rampage against his friends. He gets called out on this.
- The Chessmaster: He acts as one during the Gamble stream, where he retracts his deal to gamble Kindness the netherite sword with Dan using Exact Words and a deal with James, then brings up (read: makes up) the rule that there could only ever be one of each piece of netherite gear on the server during the gamble, which James only found out after they made the deal for Kindness (the night before the Gamble, James reasoned that he would be able to get his own netherite sword in the future). And he did that within the span of, apparently, half an hour. This is eventually deconstructed as later in the series, it is listed among the server rules not to trust Squid (though it was, for the most part, Played for Laughs), and Dan and James have made plans to get revenge on him for double-crossing both of them in one fell swoop during the gamble for Kindness.
- Cool Pet: GanDONK the donkey, named after Gandalf and having the speed to almost match a fast horse, despite the reputation that donkeys are slower than horses.
- The Corruptible: He is this when Kindness is concerned.
- Evil Sounds Deep: His voice becomes much deeper when he is being possessed by Kindness.
- Exact Words: He hatches a scheme invoking this to get out of getting Kindness scammed off of him by Dan.
- Expository Pronoun: While being Brainwashed and Crazy, he refers to himself with "we", which gets lampshaded whenever it happens.
- Fighting from the Inside: During the Post-Curse stream, he briefly makes cries for help twice while being possessed by Kindness.
<iBallistiicSquid> help me
In-game chat: iBallistiicSquid left the game
- First-Name Basis: He is sometimes called by his real life first name, "David".
- Hearing Voices: Ever since Kindness was returned to him after the restricted quest, the sword has been speaking to him in his head, telling him to do look for the next netherite piece.
- Hopeless with Tech: Type 2. He laments never being able to understand redstone.
- I Call It "Vera": His enchanted diamond sword is named "sPAIN". His enchanted trident is also named "Pogseidon".
- I Lied: He promises James a full set of diamond armour to keep Kindness from being put up for gamble with Dan, but goes back on his promise by hiring a mercenary through his quest shop to kill James and bring him the sword, because it would be cheaper. Dan, who took on the quest, proceeds to call him out on this in the Curse stream.
Dan: You gave it back to James
with some kind of deal? [Squid affirms the statement.] And you didn't even pull through on the deal!
- Loose Lips: In the Secret Project stream, he accidentally lets it slip that a second piece of netherite has been found — in front of Justin, who swore to keep it a secret; Ecko, the Naïve Newcomer; and Dan, who had no idea what happened on their end of the Hunt for Netherite stream.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Usually he's called "Squid" or a variation of it, and is rarely called by his username, or even more rarely, his real name.
- Oop North: He lives in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire and has a very strong accent to prove it too.
- Pet the Dog: Despite being a rather shady guy, he shows Cupquake the nether fortress he found to help her complete her quest during the Slice of Life stream.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Fittingly for a squid, he makes a quest in his shop with the goal being to obtain one of these. As a result, he currently owns one enchanted with Riptide named "Pogseidon".
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: After making a deal over the restricted quest for Kindness, his right arm turned red and black to signify the deal has been struck. It's when his arm doesn't turn back to its normal dark blue with yellow hoodie sleeve, remaining red and black, that symbolizes that something went wrong with the deal (whether it was due to the Curse of Vanishing specifically or the sword being more sinister than originally expected) and he was currently The Corruptible for Kindness.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: At the end of the Post-Curse stream, he goes on one against Dan for Cursing Kindness, while being Brainwashed and Crazy. It is still ambiguous how much of the rampage was fueled by Kindness and how much is done on his own volition.
- Terrestrial Sea Life: He's a squid who lives on land.
- Troll: He is described as one in the Curse stream, and it shows.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: After becoming the owner of Kindness, he becomes desperate to keep the sword to become more and more powerful, to the point of ordering murder to get the sword back instead of paying his dues, and alienating his friends to the point that they got turned off from owning any netherite MacGuffin. He also gets called out on this.
Dan: As soon as you touched that sword, Squid, as soon as you— you felt its power, you changed, buddy, you changed.
what have we done? He was literally— so, the awkward thing is, he was our best friend on the server, and, um
yeah, we made him mad. [
] He's always on at the same time, and now we've made our— our most loyal friend mad."
Click here to see his gambling skin
Preferred name: Dan
"As soon as you touched that sword, Squid, as soon as you you felt its power, you changed, buddy, you changed."
One of the four founding members of the SMP. Initially a businessman, he learnt about the Artifact of Doom
nature after taking on a quest involving the sword, and eventually getting killed twice in his friends' pursuit for netherite. He is currently working on investigating netherite items on top of running his businesses.
- Apologetic Attacker: He apologizes to James while killing him for Kindness in order to complete Squid's restricted quest.
- Bad Liar: He claims to be one and it is evident in the footage as well, but apparently some viewers did manage to fall for it.
- Big "WHAT?!": His reaction to Squid doing the "one block shimmy"note while strip-mining.
- Bling of War: His horse, E-Boy wore golden horse armour, gifted by Justin.
- Canine Companion: His dog named Gamestop.
- Colour Motif: Light blue, which might have something to do with the diamonds in his name. His quotes are shown in light blue-outlined text in Squid's YouTube videos.
- Con Man: A whopping 82% of his chat voted for his gambling stand to be a scam instead of gambling fair and square as he had initially planned, so he reluctantly obliged to the idea at first. Subverted when he decides that he wouldn't be able to pull it off.
- Family Man / Happily Married: A carryover from Real Life. His wife, Jemma and recent fatherhood get mentioned a few times throughout the streams.
- The Gambler: He runs a gambling booth on the SMP, among other things.
- Gasp!: His reaction to being able to "MLG Water Bucket" successfully in his stream TDM Towers.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Justified in that it's his Minecraft skin.
- Hitman with a Heart: Squid hires him as a mercenary to kill James, the then-owner of Kindness and bring him back the sword
to get out of the deal he previously made with James over the sword. Dan proceeds to call him out on this in the Curse stream.
- Honest Corporate Executive: He settles into this regarding his business ventures, though he has considered inverting this to be a Corrupt Corporate Executive to scam people out of their rare treasures.
- Iconic Item: Diamonds. They are part of his business logo and the back of his business jacket is even decorated with a diamond logo, though it is usually obscured by his 2013 Minecon cape.
- In-Series Nickname: Squid calls him and his business some variation of "scam" or "ScamTDM" after he opens his gambling booth.
- Only in It for the Money: He claims to be this regarding Squid's restricted quest, but this is subverted by the fact that he has ulterior motives behind it and refuses to betray James.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: He changes into a suit while running the gambling stall.
- Spider-Sense: During the Hunt for Netherite stream, he placed all his valuables into his ender chest before visiting the Gallery of Squid, because he had a feeling something bad was going to happen. He was correct.
James: But Dan, you've got no gear [to go after Justin]. Where's your gear?
Dan: It was in my ender chest. I had a strange feeling about today, dude— I had a weird feeling.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: His initial reaction to finding a Curse of Vanishing enchanted book in a dungeon.
Are you for real?! Are you— This is—
Click here to see ThinkNOODles
In-game name: RealThinknoodles
Preferred name: Justin or Think
One of the four founding members of the SMP. Formerly focusing on building his house and handling personal affairs, he has since taken a more proactive role in the quest for netherite.
- The Scapegoat: It's a Running Gag that he gets blamed for every other prank pulled on the server.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Occasionally he slips into more complex vocabulary, like "desecrated" during the Post-Curse stream.
- Surprisingly Sudden Death: In the Hunting for Netherite stream, Think was simply mining in the nether when SB comes up behind him and brutally slaughters him, before stealing Revenge and running, leaving Think dazed and confused.
some caption text
Preferred name: James
"And it's kind of funny because the sword is called 'Kindness', but it's brought [...] no kind of kindness to the server, it's b-brought betrayal, it's brought deceit, it's brought tensions... all for this stupid sword."
One of the four founding members of the SMP, James was the one to find Kindness in the First Stream. He has since given up ownership of the sword for various reasons and is dedicated to running his Honey Co. bee and honey farm.
some caption text
Preferred name: Cupquake or Tiff
"You are not gonna kill my vibe."
Joining the server during Squiddy's Birthday
stream, she is a currently successful businesswoman and baker.
- Cuteness Proximity: Her reaction to seeing a fox in the New Member stream.
- Girly Bruiser: She wears make-up and is likely the most feminine person on the server, but she's still decently capable in a fight, even when out of practice.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Downplayed. The first thing she does on the server is flexing on everyone with her 2011 Minecon cape, but she's still a kind and generous person.
- Precision F-Strike: Though she refrains from cursing for the most part throughout her perspective, in her episode "Decorating A Cottage Core Bakery in Minecraft Shady Oaks SMP!" (taking place after the Post-Curse stream), she calls a creeper a "bitch" after it blows up a corner of her front porch.
- Rapid-Fire "No!": Her reaction to being attacked by a pillager while building her bakery.
- The Smurfette Principle: She's the first girl on the server. This is eventually subverted as more girls join the server.
- Sweet Baker: She plans to build a "cottagecore bakery" and is a very nice person who gives out free samples to her starving server-mates.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: During the Hunt for Netherite stream, Justin massacred James in front of her house
while she was in the area and speaking to the boys about the weather just before the incident. She thought they were hit by lightning, even though the kill feed says otherwise.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair.
"Why do I feel like this is a trap? I'm sorry."
In-game name: bigbst4tz2
Preferred name: Big B or Anthony
He joined the server during the New Member
some caption text
In-game name: JeromeASF
Preferred name: Jerome
"I wasn't stealing all the berries... on the server?"
Joining the server during the Post-Curse
stream, he intends to capitalize off of his residents through his upcoming sweet berry business.
In-game name: yammy_xox
Preferred name: Yammy
She joined the server during the Post-Curse
- Cat Girl: Downplayed. Her skin has a pair of black cat ears, but that's about it.
- Cuteness Proximity: Her reaction to stumbling across a muddy pig near her home with a red tulip on his headnote , as well as her cat.
- First-Person Smartass: Episodes featuring her personal commentary tend to involve her throwing shade at her surroundings and herself.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She has a pet calico cat and is am all-round decent person.
- Pink Means Feminine: She wears pink and loves cute things.
- Self-Deprecation: Her 'house tour' in her debut episode is dripping with sarcasm and half the quips are jabs at her own building skills.
- Two Girls to a Team: She is the second girl on the server. This may eventually be averted as more people join the server.
In-game name: eckoxsoldier
Preferred name: Ecko
He joined the server during the Secret Project
- Lizard Folk: His Minecraft skin is based on ().
- Lovable Lizard: He takes the appearance of a lizard(?) and is an all-round decent guy.
- Old Master: In the context of Minecraft, he reveals in his debut stream that despite being primarily known for being an Xbox player, he had actually been playing Minecraft since the week it came out on PC.
- Private Detective: Dan hires him as one in the Secret Project Stream.
- The Reliable One: He is trusted with a lot of information and is told to keep it all a secret, and ends up being the only guy to have somewhat stuck to the promise.
In-game name: TheCodyMaverick
Preferred name: Cody
He joined the server in the Post-Chaos
some caption text
In-game name: TBNRfrags
Preferred name: Preston
He joined the server in the _ Stream.
In-game name: SB737
He joined the server in the Goodbye Ender Dragon
A new-generation Minecraft YouTuber who collaborated with Dan on a Lucky Blocks Speedrunnote
. Although he doesn't appear in the SMP himself, he makes a voice-call appearance in an in-between stream, as Dan was on the SMP before their official collaboration.
A set of netherite equipment which are part of some sort of deeper server lore. They can only be obtained through events and random occurrences and cannot be crafted.
- Artifact of Doom: It is not yet confirmed for the items which have not made canonical appearances yet, but those which have appeared in canon make it quite clear.
- Kindness the sword has the ability to control the wielder's mind, among other things, and has been compared to the One Ring several times throughout the series.
- Unearthing Revenge the pickaxe has not seen much action yet, but the hill where it was found was surrounded with basalt and netherrack blocks, and was decorated with red poppies and lava, and the village nearby was corrupted.
- Gotta Catch Them All: Acquiring all pieces of netherite gear — both armour and tools/weapons — would make a person the most powerful player on the SMP.
- MacGuffin: A series of items which are part of a deeper server lore and are pursued by several players on the server, for a variety of reasons.
"Use the compass to find the next piece
Click here to see James holding Kindness before it was Cursed.
Click here to see Squid holding Kindness
"A new piece of netherite has been found."
A cursed netherite sword. It was found in the First Stream, and has changed hands numerous times since it was found. It is currently in Squid's possession.
- Artifact of Attraction: Initially, all but one of the four founders of the SMP have had interest in owning the sword due to its power. Subverted when James realizes the power the sword holds and expresses relief in being rid of it in the Curse stream, with Dan sharing similar sentiments; which implies their interest in Kindness in the first place is because it is a MacGuffin, not necessarily because the sword itself draws people towards it.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Apparently it is capable of inducing this, being able to control the actions of the wielders of the sword.
- Cool Sword: It is the only netherite sword on the server.
- The Corruption: It is able to possess its owner.
- Cursed Item: Up to the Curse stream, Dan and James conspire and succeed in enchanting Kindness with a Curse of Vanishing book, in revenge for Squid double-crossing both of themnote . In Minecraft, the Curse of Vanishing makes anything with it disappear when a player carrying it dies, unable to be picked up, and since Kindness is the only netherite sword on the server...
- Demonic Possession: It enacts Type 3 on its wielders.
- Evil Sounds Deep: While possessing Squid, it speaks with a deep voice.
- Evil Weapon: It can speak to its wielders and corrupt them by controlling their minds and actions.
- Hearing Voices: It can speak to wielders of the sword through their minds.
- Ironic Name: According to James during his episode Introducing HONEY CO. FARMS!, Kindness the sword has been anything but kind to the server and only serves to bring discourse as a MacGuffin.
Thnxcya on why he thinks Kindness is cursed: And it's kind of funny because the sword is called "Kindness", but it's brought nothing— [laughs] it's brought— it's brought no kind of kindness to the server, it's b-brought betrayal, it's brought deceit, it's brought tensions... all for this stupid sword.
- Named Weapons: It was already named when it was found.
- Red Is Violent: When Kindness takes over Squid and Dan, their arm turns red. Usually this results in someone's death or threatened death.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Since the possession incidents, Kindness has been hidden away.
- Slippery MacGuffin: Kindness the sword has changed hands twice in the first couple of days of the server's existence.
- Sword of Plot Advancement: The first few streams (and thus the first story arc) revolve around Kindness the netherite sword being the MacGuffin, but it is also stated that other gear made of netherite exist out there.
A netherite pickaxe. It is currently in Justin's possession.
- Bilingual Bonus: The name of the compass leading to it — Take Heed — is written in the Standard Galactic alphabet. The name of the pickaxe — Unearthing Revenge is also written in the alphabet.
- Punny Name: "Unearthing revenge". Pickaxe. You do the math.