open/close all folders
La Résistance within the third annual American Battle Royale event. Founded by Anna Rourke, the original eleven members with later additions try to defy the rules of the game and escape the island.
Anna RourkeFounder and leader of SABRE. Class Representative of the selected group, Anna is pretty much head of the student council. While an Ice Queen, Anna uses her brains and ability to make rousing speeches to give her friends the strength they need to rebel against Battle Royale.
- La Résistance: Is the founder of the group.
- To Absent Friends: Her funeral.
Carter JamesA red-headed kid who eventually becomes The Hero of the fanfic. Openly protests against Battle Royale, and has a longtime crush on Katherine.
- Cultural Rebel: Openly hates Battle Royale.
- Driven to Suicide: Subverted since he and Ashley, refusing to kill one another, participate in Russian Roulette to see who lives and who dies.
- Together in Death: With Katherine.
Ashley VasquezThe Lad-ette of the group, Ashley has a bit of a bad streak, taking drugs and sleeping with numerous boys. However, when she joins SABRE she has a HeelFace Turn, coming to appreciate her friendships, particularly with Carter and Katherine.
- Battle Couple: With Paul. Made even more so after they made out.
- Becoming the Mask: Ashley started of as a Jerkass but after finding Carter and joining the group she had a HeelFace Turn despite killing two people already, becoming an Anti-Hero.
- Cold-Blooded Torture What she did to JJ Squalls was brutal.
- Eye Scream: Loses an eye to Damien. Replaces it with a glass eye.
- The Lancer: To Carter, shared with Katherine.
- Vasquez Always Dies: Averted, as Ashley is the overall winner.
Katherine FarradayThe Heart of SABRE, an incredibly beautiful, kind and popular girl in school, Katherine likes to be independent but helpful after her detached past and a certain incident.
- Rape as Drama: Katherine was raped a year before the game, prompting her to change her personality and become popular.
- Together in Death: With Carter.
Doug RodgersThe Smart Guy of the group, Doug is a genuine genius and computer hacker, able to understand the workings of the explosive belts and how to disable them.
- I Did What I Had to Do: After executing Gus.
Paul HoltA horror film buff and Lovable Nerd. Wields a chainsaw in the game, becoming a badass fighter protecting others, particularly girls.
- Big Damn Heroes: Paul is a master at this, saving Lexie from Brian by chainsawing him in two, and again helps take down Joel.
Jenny ReeseAnna's best friend and a bit of a Genki Girl.
- Break the Cutie: Suffers one after Anna's death, and asks Michael to save her.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Towards Anna.
Michael BaxterOpenly gay, Michael becomes Jenny's guard during the game.
- Canada, Eh?: According to Katherine, he's originally from Canada.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Michael's hair is dyed pink and purple.
Lexie HawkOne of two twins, Lexie is forced to Mercy Kill her beloved sister before becoming a member of SABRE.
- Mercy Kill: Forced to do this to her twin sister Sky.
- Theme Twin Naming: Subverted. Sky is likely named due to her last name of Hawk, but Lexie is not.
Francisco MarquezA badass Italian with Catholic beliefs. He is the only guy in school to fight and beat Joel in a brawl.
Gus O'RyanA redneck who is a fan of Battle Royale, but is good friends with Ashley.
Matt HunterA skaterboy, Matt spends much of the game looking for the love of his life Lexie, and goes through a great number of stresses and pains in his quest.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Dora grew to love Matt, but he gently rejected her feelings although she promised to be there if his love for Lexie did not work out.
- In turn, his love for Lexie would have been unrequited as she already had a boyfriend before Battle Royale.
- The Chew Toy: Suffers quite a lot in the game, attacked by numerous others and even knocked out by Lexie whom he loves in their brief five seconds together. Take a stand by the time he joins the remaining SABRE members.
- Expy: Pretty much the Sugimura of the fanfic.
Bo AdrianInitially a member of the wrestling club, Bo abandons Joel when most of the members are killed by Katie Snyder. He joins SABRE upon realising his choice of friends are not the best.
Damien Myers / Charles Lee "Charlie" VoorheesAfter being disfigured in an accident, Damien is tormented by the Brat Pack, and uses the Battle Royale to get his revenge on them. It's eventually revealed that he was the winner of the 1st Battle Royale, now under a different identity.
- Evil vs. Evil: Between him and Katie near the end. He kills her.
- Freudian Excuse: Having to live with surviving the 1st Battle Royale while being taunted in high school
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: To Katie.
- Pet the Dog: Realising that Grad Night would lead to one bus being selected for the next Battle Royale, he hurriedly tells Lenore, an ex-girlfriend who has at this point every right to be suspicious and scared of him, to make other plans.
- Shout-Out: Damien's name is most likely a reference to The Omen and Halloween. His actual name is a nod to both Child's Play and Friday the 13th.
- Woobie Destroyerof Worlds: He was a survivor of the first Battle Royale game and because of his injuries, was either jeered or shunned by the majority of his class.
Marie CooperAn emotionless talented yet arrogant ballerina, Marie is utterly devoted to going to Julliard and she isn't about to let a silly game of Battle Royale stop her.
- Abusive Parents: Her mother essentially forced her into becoming who she is.
- Arrogant Ballet Girl: She thinks very poorly of all the students around her.
- Boring Yet Practical: Her strategy in the game is stay in the control tower with a sniper rifle and pick out people whenever they come.
- Dance Battler: As a ballerina, she falls onto this the few times she is pulled into close combat.
- Freudian Excuse: The brief flashback of her childhood is not very pleasant to say the least. It's been remarked that she lost her "innocence" at a fairly early age as well.
- Kill It with Fire: How she finally dies.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: She reacts to a graze against her arm very very poorly.
- Woobie Destroyerof Worlds: She has been slowly stripped of any emotion, personality, and innocence in her childhood to the point where she enters the Battle Royale with just a determination of survival so she can become the best ballerina.
Katie SnyderA Christian who often quietly hangs around the school library, Katie reveals her sadistic streak on the island, gleefully maiming her opponents and getting aroused by the carnage she inflicts.
- Evil vs. Evil: Between her and Damien near the end. She loses.
- Karmic Death: Damien cuts off her fingers, slices into her skin multiple times and sprays mace into the wounds. He then crucifies her to a wall by her hands and finally stabs her with a scythe, her original weapon.
- Strawman Political: Katie's a Strawman Fundamentalist.
Joel GiovanelloThe leader of the wrestlers.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He's not exactly known for his feminist thinking...
- Smug Snake: He believes that he'll be able to destroy his way through the game. In the end, not only does he have the lowest kill count of the main antagonists but he is also forced to ally with Katie to survive.
Mike VriessOne of the wrestlers; a guy who is pretty loyal to Joel.
- The Dragon: To Joel.
- Human Shield: Katie uses him as one when she attacks the remaining wrestlers. Joel just shoots at Katie through him.
Karen PetersonOne of the wrestlers.
The Brat Pack
The Girl Posse who went around making life a living hell for Damien back at high school.
- Alpha Bitch: She and Ayane shift back and forth into this role, each trying to outdo the other.
- Boom, Headshot!: Was able to shoot Maxine through the head from the infirmary roof. She herself is shot in the head by Dora when she breaks into the infirmary.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: She throws a barrage of insults at and then later on kills Maxine simply because she's a lesbian.
- The Starscream: Brynn seeks to replace Anna as the leader of SABRE.
- Together in Death: With Maxine.
Dora JanovecEasily the nicest of the group, Dora strives to help anyone out.
- Guilt by Association Gag: Damien does not care one bit that Dora wasn't mean to him, the fact that she associated with the Brat Pack is enough for him to brutally stab her to death.
- To be fair, she did nothing to stop them from bullying other students.
- Nice Girl: In contrast to Brynn, Cheryl, and to an extent Ayane.
- Token Good Teammate: Towards the rest of the Brat Pack.
- Alpha Bitch: Becomes one with Brynn in high school.
- The Load: Becomes this early on after she's shot by Brian. Subverted later when she kills AJ and wounds Damien after they've killed her friends.
AJ TakagakiAn overweight nerdy boy who was also harassed by the Brat Pack. One of Damien's only friends in school. He tried to run for student council president, until the Brat Pack shut him down by making humiliating posters.
- The Dog Bites Back: His motivations for allying with Damien.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While the rest of the Brat Pack were fair game, he does however have qualms about Damien killing Dora.
- Expy: Has quite a few similarities with the original BR's Yoshio Akamatsu.
- Freudian Excuse: Confessed to Ayane in the past and was rejected; after that, the Brat Pack began to taunt and harass him to the point of cruelty.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Has a similar story to Damien's.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Pretty much Damien's reaction to his death, which he regards as a good thing.
Blake MorrowA boy who has some medical knowledge. He is sickened by the game and commits suicide.
- Four Is Death: His full name is Blake Morrow IV. He also happens to die in midst of the game.
- Disc-One Final Boss: Brian was the biggest threat during the first few hours, having attacked Tammy, knocked Elena unconscious, and mortally wounded both Cheryl and Sky. He's then killed by Paul with a chainsaw before the first six hours are up.
- Freudian Excuse: His mother was an abusive alcoholic who regularly beat him.
- Self-Made Orphan: It's implied he killed his mother.
Carrie "CC" CollinsJoel's "girlfriend", who clings to him and has basically no personality.
- Red Shirt: She pretty much existed to be Damien's first kill.
- Together in Death: With Jackson
- Eye Scream: Katie slashes right through it with a scythe.
- Beauty to Beast: Was once a ladies man before he was mutilated and burned by Marie and Jackson.
- The Casanova: Implied to be a ladies man.
- Fingore Has both his thumbs hacked off by Marie at the very start.
- Humiliation Conga/ Mutilation Conga/ Rasputinian Death /Trauma Conga Line: From the moment he enters the Program, he is electrocuted by an electric door while trying to escape, wets his pants out of fear, has to be one of the last students to leave the school, fails to kill Marie, accidentally bites his own tongue off while getting knocked unconscious by her, has both his thumbs hacked off, has the words MARIE COOPER DID THIS engraved into his chest, gets his weapon and pack stolen from her, gets set on fire by Jackson, and has his wallet stolen by Brynn before finally being killed off by her.
- Man on Fire: Gets set on fire by Jackson.
- Tongue Trauma: Bites his own tongue in half and swallows it during Marie's assault on him.
- Together in Death: With Eliza
- Boom, Headshot!: Thanks for that, Marie.
- Bullying a Dragon: Tried to kill Francisco. Twice.
- FaceHeel Turn: Somehow went from joking around on the bus, to trying to kill Francisco with an ice pick.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: How he is killed.
- Mugging the Monster: Next time think twice about turning on Frank the Tank Josh.
- Too Dumb to Live: He somehow thought trying to kill Francisco would be a piece of cake. Even after when Francisco agreed to team up with him, he still tried to kill him.
- Ungrateful Bastard: After when Francisco spared him and offered to join forces with him, he literally tried to stab him in the back with his ice pick.
- Disney Villain Death: Is tossed out a window by Marie
- Eye Scream: Both her eyes are destroyed by Marie with a hunting knife.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Her relationship with Rudy is looked down upon by both their parents and Naomi.
- Together in Death: With Rudy
- Expy: To the original's Kyoichi Motobuchi
- Laser-Guided Karma: Her racism against Hispanics is responded to with a shotgun blast to the head from Ashley Vasquez.
- Your Head Asplode: With a shotgun blast.
- Groin Attack: With a flare gun, of all things.
- Handsome Lech: Also known as school as The Naughty Hottie.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Lets face it, was Luke ever fated for anything other than brutal slaughter at the hands of Lori and Lara?
- Your Cheating Heart: Lara discovers that he's been cheating on her with Lori.
- Boom, Headshot!: Is shot through the head by Brynn
- Bulletproof Vest: Her assigned weapon. It serves her no purpose, as she's shot in the head.
- Together in Death: With Ayane.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Wanted this to happen with her and Rudy, but Lindsay just had to show up...
- A Death in the Limelight: He and Tamyra get all the attention in the first chapter of the story. He's then killed off early in the next.
- Sacrificial Lamb: He's the very first death.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: At least Ashley does. Shame she had to kill him.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: With a tire iron.
- Neck Snap: Ashley finishes him off this way.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: His relationship with Lindsay is looked down upon by both their parents and Naomi.
- Together in Death: With Lindsay
- Gentle Giant: Hes very loyal and follows orders, not possessing the mental capacity to question them which leads to his involvement with Joel. Give him a choice in the matter, though, and hes not a bad guy.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He screams out for Joel to help with after Jackson sets him on fire. Joel responds by shooting him in the face.
- Suicide Pact: Subverted. Brian attacks her and Lexie before they can kill themselves, and Sky is mortally wounded as a result.
- Angst Coma: Spends about 99% of the game's duration in one.
- Famous Last Words: "WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" are her last and only words in the game.
- A Death in the Limelight: She and Nick get all the attention in the first chapter of the story. She's then killed off midway through the next.
- Sacrificial Lamb: She's killed before she even leaves the classroom.