open/close all folders
Lucy Bennett (Kerry Bishé)A medical student at Winston University. She serves as the new narrator for Season 9. She loves horses and believes if they could talk they would be wise.
- All Girls Like Ponies: She's even more obsessed with them then Elliot is and one of her worst fears is that they hate humans.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She knows Cole is a Jerkass, but still wants to date him.
- Composite Character: Lucy is basically a composite of JD and early-Elliot.
- Distaff Counterpart: To JD as she takes over as the main character and has his whimsical imagination.
- Horrible Judge of Character: She slept with Cole and he took a nude picture of her and she still thought he was a decent enough guy to date.
- I Can Change My Beloved: When Lucy admits to herself she really likes Cole, she decides to make him change some of his obnoxious behaviors.
- Ms. Imagination: Like JD, she's a daydreamer with bizarre fantasies in her head.
- Naïve Newcomer: Much like JD was in the early episodes.
- Nervous Wreck: Being also an expy of Elliot, she's neurotic like her, while also being a cheerful Plucky Girl like a female JD.
- The Pollyanna: Always tries to be cheery and optimistic.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The sweet, idealistic Girly Girl who likes horses, in contrast to The Lad-ette Denise.
- What Does She See in Him?: She dates the guy who took a nude picture of her in her first episode.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Usually she has a very positive attitude on where her career will go... and horses.
Drew Suffin (Michael Mosley)A medical student at Winston University giving it a second go. He had previously been in jail and was apparently shot by a 12 year old. He describes jail as "cold". He is in a relationship with Denise. He is apparently Dr. Cox's favorite student; at one point Drew was forced to tape a "#1" sign to his chest by Cox, which is shortly replaced by a pink t-shirt saying "#1"
- The Atoner: He was in jail and did some horrible stuff in his past and he's trying to do right this time.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Denise, bordering on Slap-Slap-Kiss
- Dark and Troubled Past: Had a breakdown leading to him dropping out of med school, spent time in prison and was shot by a twelve year old apparently.
- Deadpan Snarker: He often snarks at Denise and at his fellow med students.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Number 1, from Cox.
- Expy: He's the closest thing we get to seeing a young Dr. Cox.
- Foil: At the same time, he is the polar opposite of JD in every way. Down to getting the unwanted attention that JD always sought from Dr. Cox. While he has little in the way of emotional needs, he also lacks the sense of empathy that makes JD such a gifted doctor.
- Formerly Fat: He tells Denise that he used to be a lot heavier than he is now, which really turns her on.
- My Greatest Second Chance: His current attempt to be a doctor is this for him since he failed the first time.
- Mysterious Past: We never find out why he was in prison.
- Older and Wiser: Than the other students.
- Only Sane Man: Of the med students.
- Teacher's Pet: Dr. Cox's favorite student, much to Drew's chagrin.
- Troubled, but Cute: To Denise, anyway. He's had a rough life and she finds him attractive.
Cole Aaronson (Dave Franco)A medical student at Winston University. His family donated a large portion of money to get the new Sacred Heart Hospital built and as such, Cole believes that he can do whatever he wants, as he is "untouchable". While spoiled, arrogant, and immature, he occasionally reveals himself to have a good heart.
- Brainless Beauty: Clearly attractive, but also immature, spoiled and just plain dumb.
- Establishing Character Moment: Taking a nude picture of Lucy.
- Expy: He's pretty much Todd, but with more focus and screen time.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: In his study group. Even his girlfriend Lucy can barely tolerate him.
- Hidden Depths: The last few episodes try to give him some redeeming qualities.
- Jerkass: He's an arrogant tool who thinks he can do whatever he wants because his parents donated alot of money and after sleeping with Lucy he took a nude picture of her and it ended up spread over campus.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Actually bonded with a patient, hinting at his inner goodness.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: He tends to use slang from rap music sometimes.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Invokes this any time he's threatened to be kicked out of Med School.
- Token Evil Teammate: Not necessarily evil, but he's a total jerk to the other med students of his group.
- Upper-Class Twit: An idiotic Spoiled Brat with a frat-boy personality.