Character page for the Mariners, Poseidon's entourage and protectors. Main index is here.
Voiced By: Hiromi Tsuru (JP), Maru Guerrero (Latin American Spanish)
- Affably Evil: Very polite and soft-spoken, until she fights.
- But Now I Must Go: Anime-only, when she changed back to her mermaid form and leaves.
- Cry Cute: "Milord Poseidon... now you're back to being Young Julian Solo..."
- Dark Chick: While she does have the fighting abilities, she's more of a messenger than a frontline fighter.
- Designated Girl Fight: Though she does give Shaina quite a run for her money.
- Happily Ever After: In the end of the Poseidon Arc in the manga, Thetis changed back into a fish. Jullian/Poseidon comes back and finds her dead fish body and holds it gently in his hands. In the anime, it was happier where Thetis changes into a mermaid and you can see her leaping in and out of the water with the good guys staring at the sunset.
- I Owe You My Life: When Julian was young, he saved her (in fish form) when she was stuck on the land and on the verge of dying. This made her very loyal to Julian, and she died saving him from drowning when Poseidon's castle collapsed.
- Killed Off for Real: She died saving Julian. He and Sorrento later found her dead fish body and they both cried for her. But since Julian lost his memory and Sorrento doesn't know what her fish form looked like, they were probably more saddened about a fish dying while trying to get on the land.
- Lady of War: Elegant, fast, and damn hard to hit. Shaina had serious difficulties fighting her.
- Meaningful Name: Thetis is a goddess of the sea and leader of the Nereids (sea nymphs) in Greek Mythology. As well as the mother of Achilles.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: In the anime, at the end, she changes into a mermaid and you can see her leaping in and out of the water with the good guys staring at the sunset.
- Perky Female Minion: She is a mariner of low rank.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: After one of the Twelve Titans from Greek mythology. The mother of the rivers, springs, streams, fountains and clouds.
Sea Horse Baian
Voiced By: Show Hayami (JP), Javier Rivero (Latin American Spanish), Luca Semeraro (It)
- Badass Cape: The only other Mariner besides Sea Dragon to have one. Its destruction at the hands of Seiya punctuated the later's Heroic Second Wind.
- Barrier Warrior: His effective invisible shield was nothing more than an air current created by his hands.
- Blow You Away: He attacked Seiya using his mighty God Breath, which was a gale of immense destructive force.
- Foil: To Seiya. He's the marine horse (Hippocampus) to his aerial horse. (Pegasus)
- Making a Splash: Rising Billows, his strongest attack, was a powerful rising tidal wave capable of sending the enemy from the depths of the seas all the way to its surface.
- No Name Given: He and Sea Dragon (before The Reveal) in the Italian dub don't even get a name, they're just called after their Scales (Sea Horse and Sea Dragon respectively).
- Smug Super: He is arrogant and very confident in his defense. This becomes the cause of his defeat.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Baian or Bian?
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Exploited. Seiya notes that his fighting style is very similar to Misty's. Remembering his battle with Misty, and benefiting from the experience he gained in it, Seiya was able to overcome Baian's Air Barrier in the same way he did with Misty's and disabled it with his "Pegasus Ryuu Sei Ken".
- Villainous Breakdown: When Seiya quickly takes the upper hand on him and tells him that he's just a Smug Super without real merits.
- This Cannot Be!: When Pegasus damages his Sea Horse Scales, whose hardness and endurance which he thought to be equal to that of a Gold Cloth.
Voiced By: Issei Futamata (JP), Gerardo Reyero (Latin American Spanish), Massimiliano Lotti (It)
- The Beastmaster: His main power is to summon the abilities of six creatures (a wolf, a bear, a bat, a giant bee, an eagle and a snake).
- Blow You Away: His secret attack Big Tornado.
- Bowdlerise: Downplayed, the Italian dub specifies that the animals used by Scylla are actually illusions, while in the manga and original dub the summoned beasts are real. Possibly to downplay the violent image of Shun being mauled by wild beasts.
- Defiant to the End: Prefers to go down fighting towards Shun despite being bound in chains, trying to block Shun's direct attack (via Libra Cloth's weapons) on the pillar he protected. Shun is very impressed at his Undying Loyalty to Poseidon and expresses sadness at his passing.
- Dub Name Change: Called "Kyra" in Italy, oddly enough.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: From Io the sea nymph in Greek Mythology.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Tries to keep Shun from destroying his pillar by shielding it with his body. Unfortunately, he never had a chance due to him being bounded up and the pillar itself being too big to protect all of it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair.
Voiced By: Masaharu Sato (JP), Rafael Rivera (Latin American Spanish), Tony Fuochi (It)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In Kurumada's manga, Krishna's hair is blonde. In the anime adaptation, it was modified to white to generate a better color balance and contrast.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Blade on a Stick: Chrysaor's weapon, a Golden Lance capable of piercing through every known defense. Chrysaor's spear soon proves its piercing power by easily breaking through Shiryu's Cloth and its fabled Dragon Shield.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: In the manga. In the anime, he is white-haired.
- Meditation Powerup: After his invincible Golden Spear is destroyed, Chrysaor Krishna assumes a meditating position to draw energy from the Kundalini. The point is driven even further when his Chakras manifest as a straight line and Shiryu must destroy them with Excalibur in order to defeat Krishna.
- Noble Demon: When Shiryu fails to use Excalibur the first time, Chrysaor mocks Shiryu's arrogance and decides to let him live, turning his back on the wounded Saint.
- Token Minority: The only dark-skinned Mariner of the group. Before you ask, he's from Sri Lanka.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He approves of Poseidon's plan to destroy the corrupted humanity, by flooding the world and then re-creating a new civilization.
Voiced By: Keaton Yamada (JP), Carlos del Campo (Latin American Spanish), Sergio Romanò (It)
- Adaptation Personality Change: In the Italian dub, he's called "Lemuri" of Salamander (with Shun pointing out the Meaningful Name note ). Furthermore, in the original, he's never mentioned to be the Last of His Kind, and the reason why he loses his cool in front of his illusionary copy made by Ikki is because "he can't bring himself to harm someone as handsome as himself.
- Animal Battle Aura: A massive salamander manifests when he uses his Salamander Shock.
- Calling Your Attacks: His attack Salamander Shock. But it is rather weak.
- Critical Research Failure: In-universe case. Had he bothered to scan Ikki's mind thoroughly, he could've found about Esmeralda earlier, therefor using her form to kill him. He could have won the war for Poseidon's side right there!
- Comes with an helping of What an Idiot! as he impersonates Shun 1) in front of Ikki 2) with the actual Shun lying unconscious JUST NEXT TO HIM. But this is actually meant to stress how borderline emotion-less Ikki is, since he just punches through the illusion without a shred of hesitation, when Casa states he did consider the aforementioned points, and that his powers had never failed him before.
- Dirty Coward: Instead of fighting, he prefers tricking his opponents with the power to look into the hearts and torture them with their most precious memories or loved ones.
- Dub Name Change: In the Italian dub, he's called "Lemuri" of Salamander (with Shun pointing out the Meaningful Name note ). Furthermore, he's never mentioned to be the Last of His Kind, and the reason why he loses his cool in front of his illusionary copy made by Ikki is because "he can't bring himself to harm someone as handsome as himself.
- Dying Dream: In his last moments, he imagined himself killing Ikki by taking Esmeralda's form.
- Gonk: We never get a proper look at his face, but he SEEMS to be one.
- Lean and Mean: He is the most vicious Marina General as he manipulates his enemies feelings and strikes them at their most vulnerable moment.
- Last of His Kind: Only in the Italian dub. He's proud of it too. Ikki uses his Mind Rape against him by pretending that There Is Another.
- Master of Disguise: He can mimic the appearance, and personality of other people.
- He probably can't actually copy attacks and their power, but he could successfully use his illusions to convince Hyoga that he was Camus by "using" his signature technique, Aurora Execution, against him. He could apparently also block Aurora Thunder Attack, just like Camus could.
- When he impersonated Shun, he looked like he was using his chains and managed to land a wound on Ikki's cheek.
- Non-Indicative Name: Lymniades are a type of Naiad, a.k.a. a river nymph. Casa's Scale and aura depict instead a massive green Salamander.
- Required Secondary Powers:
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech & And This Is for...: He finds himself in the receiving end of an incredibly satisfactory combination of this at the hands of Ikki.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: His whole shtick.
Voiced By: Ryusei Nakao (JP), S Dalvador Delgado (Latin American Spanish), Federico Danti (It)
- An Ice Person: Most of Isaac's attacks are ice based; like Hyoga, he can also project his Cosmo to freeze objects, as shown by his first appearance when he instantly turned the wind into snow.
- Berserk Button: People using great power for selfish and/or petty reasons. He was utterly enraged when he found out that Hyoga's primary motivation to become a Saint was to acquire the power he needed in order see his dead mother, whose ship-wreck laid at the bottom of the Siberian Sea.
- Cain and Abel: With Hyoga, in the childhood friends sense.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Hyoga's.
- Dub Name Change: From Isaac to Abadir note in Italy.
- Eye Scream / Good Scars, Evil Scars: The result of saving Hyoga's life. He inflicts the same to Hyoga in return.
- Evil Counterpart: To Hyoga.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: To be such an important person in Hyoga's life, it's quite notable that he didn't mention him before, though it could be surmised that Hyoga was hiding it all behind a veil of aloofness.
- Fallen Hero
- Graceful Loser: As he lies in the ground about to die, he congratulates Hyoga, and tells him of his suspicions about Sea Dragon Kanon.
- Knight Templar: He admires the Kraken because it would sink ships with sinful people on them. Hyoga questions this, as it would entail killing innocent people which just happened to be on board as well. Isaac still calls it the best way of making justice.
- Kick the Dog: Or better said, the puppy, as he kicks poor little Kiki when he brings Hyoga the Libra Cloth. That pisses Hyoga off enough to return to the fight.
- Kraken and Leviathan: However this particular Kraken has no Combat Tentacles and looks like a giant Ray fish.
- The Unfettered: What he always aspired to be, even before becoming a Mariner General of Poseidon.
- Would Hurt a Child: Poor Kiki, as already said.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has green hair.
Voiced by: Yoku Shioya (JP), Jorge Roig Jr. (Latin American Spanish) Enrico Carabelli note , Alberto Mancioppi note (It)
- Action Survivor: He is the only Mariner to survive, and has been accompanying Julian in their journey to help the people who were harmed by Poseidon's acts.
- Bishōnen: Very pretty, even by this show's standards.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Sorrento can pass for a woman very easily, if not for a fact that he is voiced by a man and later on is seen wearing a masculine male vest while accompanying Julian.
- Enemy Mine: When the final Marine General, Sea Dragon Kanon, revealed the plan he started 13 years ago to manipulate Poseidon into starting the war with Athena so that he could take over, Sorrento realized that all of the Generals were only UnwittingPawns used by Kanon to achieve his goal of world domination. Seeing that it was wrong to awaken Poseidon in this era, he helped Phoenix Ikki destroy the Pillar of the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Dub Name Change: Known as Syria in the Italian dub. Averted by his techniques, since in the same dub he averts Calling Your Attacks.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings
- Wings Do Nothing: They are just decorative.
- Musical Assassin: The enchanted music from Sorrento's flute is a powerful weapon:
- Dead End Symphony: Sorrento's signature technique. He plays a song on his flute, which weakens his opponent to the point that they are unable to fight back. The music directly resonates within the opponent's brain, meaning that even if the opponent can not physically hear the song, they would still be affected.
- Dead End Climax: Once Sorrento reaches the climax of his song, the music he plays will kill his opponent by destroying their mind.
- Number Two: The second in command.
- Not Quite Dead: Twice, if you count his supposed death in the Asgard Saga against Siegfried.
- Technicolor Eyes: Light red.
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Kanon, after finding out his plans. To the point of trying to kill him.
- Undying Loyalty: After the Poseidon Saga he remains by Julian's side, helping him aid the victims of Poseidon's flood.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
Sea Dragon Kanon
Voiced by: Kazuyuki Sogabe (JP, original series), Ryotaro Okiayu (JP, OAVs and video games) Mario Castañeda (Latin American Spanish), Paolo Marchese (It)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He's blonde in the manga. In the anime adaptation Kanon's hair color was modified to blue - of a darker shade than Saga.
- Badass Cape: The only other Mariner who has one, the other is Baian.
- Cain and Abel: Zigzagged with his twin Saga. In the beginning, Kanon was evil and Saga was good, but Saga went insane for having a Superpowered Evil Side (comes with being the *Gemini* Saint, of all Gold Saints) and turned evil. Kanon *knew* his brother would become evil and used it to his advantage, staging an epic Gambit Roulette that covers several arcs of the story (two in the manga, three in the anime), where Saga was the first Big Bad and Kanon was the Man Behind the Man from both him and his boss. However, later Kanon pulls a HeelFace Turn and joins the good guys, while Saga turns evil... apparently.
- Calling Your Attacks:
- Gold Triangle: It opens a dimensional rift that sends his enemies inside the Bermuda Triangle.
- Galaxian Explosion: Like his brother, Kanon launches an attack of intense power that assimilates a myriad of planets and galaxies destroying everything on their path.
- Genroken: A weaker version from the Genromaoken that simply paralyzes the enemy rather than control them.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: His Sea Dragon Scale, rather than based on typical depiction of sea dragons/serpent in mythology, seems to be based off Plesiosauria, a type of prehistoric marine reptile.
- Dragon with an Agenda: No pun intended. He tries to use Poseidon to rule the world.
- 11th-Hour Ranger: In Hades Saga: Chapter Inferno.
- Evil Twin: To Saga.
- HeelFace Turn: He becomes the Gemini Saint after Saga in the Hades arc.
- Genius Bruiser: He is responsible for most of the conflicts within the classic series. He manipulated Poseidon into doing his bidding, awakened the evil in Saga's heart and drove him into insanity, and ALMOST SUCCEEDED in gaining world domination until he made the fatal error of underestimating the main Bronzies.
- Good Is Not Nice: Even after joining Athena's side, Kanon retains his ruthless personality and harsh characteristics, scolding Pegasus Seiya and Andromeda Shun that they should never hesitate to finish their enemies, because their hesitation was a weakness that their enemies would take advantage of.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Technically speaking, he is this for Sanctuary arc. Saga's Super-Powered Evil Side was the Big Bad of the Sanctuary arc, but this guy was the one who pushed Saga over his mental limit and awakened that evil side.
- Must Make Amends: In the Hades Saga. After being banished, he returned to try and help defend the Sanctuary for Athena instead of his brother.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has the mother of reckonings when Ikki points out he only lived through the Cape Sunion prison because Athena's Cosmo saved him. He is at first completely dumbstruck, faced with such all-encompassing love that for all his plotting and cynicism, he just can't deny or reject outright. At first he just tries to dismiss the claim by saying everything is over anyway, since the Soul Jar for Poseidon is sealed with Athena. But then, when the realization he owes Athena his life sank in, it prompted him to perform a Heroic Sacrifice in the manga, and his HeelFace Turn in the Hades arc.
- One-Man Army: After his HeelFace Turn and becoming the Gemini Saint, in the Hades Arc he singlehandedly kills more Specters than half the Gold Saints combined. Only Shaka and Dohko can compare in kill counts. He even has the honor of being the only Gold Saint to kill a Judge in the classic series.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Saga's blue.
- Redemption Equals Death: Averted. At a very critical moment of the battle, Poseidon launched his trident towards Athena and Kanon suddenly jumped forward, taking the sharp end of the spear with his chest and protecting the goddess in the process. Before falling unconscious, Kanon begged Athena for forgiveness. But he survived and retun in the Hades arc.
- Reformed, but Rejected: In the Hades saga, Milo did not trust him and performed a Secret Test of Character to check if he was willing to die for Athena. He passes the test, logically.
- Reformed, but Not Tamed: Even while fighting on Athena's side, he's still a brutal and unyielding warrior who doesn't hesitate when it comes to inflicting swift and vicious retribution upon his enemies.
- Space Master: The Golden Triangle is a move that bends space and time to open an alternate dimension, where the opponent is sent, similar to "Another Dimension". Once inside, one is trapped unless the user lets them out, or they are distracted, and forced to stop the technique. It seems to be unique to the Sea Dragon; he can use the technique to send his foe into the Bermuda Triangle since he is the Guardian of the North Atlantic Ocean Pillar.
- The Man Behind the Man: He manipulated Poseidon into starting the war with Athena so that he could take over.
- Taking You with Me: At the end of the "Chapter: Inferno" in Hades arc. Utilizing a kamikaze attack, Kanon grabbed Rhadamanthys from the back and launched both bodies into the air. The Judge of Hell was defeated when Kanon unleashed his Galaxian Explosion, with all his might, killing himself along with the Wyvern Specter.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair in the anime.