open/close all folders
Ramona "Rae" Darling/ Mayrikafsa
I must be Mayrikafsa, cunning warrior of the Kihuut. I cannot be weakling Rae. Not now. Not ever again.Rae is a space farmer before being kidnapped by the Kihuut. She takes the name Mayrikafsa as a Kihuut warrior.
- Action Girl: The Kihuut train her to be a fierce warrior, proficient with a knife or bow. Late in the book, she manages to fight off grown men, despite being only thirteen.
- Big Sister Instinct: To her younger sister Temple.
- Fingore: She lost a finger prior to the events of the story.
- First-Person Smartass: Rae tends to make sarcastic comments in her head.
[We] might as well be waving a flag to the Cheese. "Hey there! We're eating our biscuits! Want to attack? That'd be mighty fine!"
- Guile Hero: She solves a lot of problems by thinking her way around them.
- Man Bites Man: Rae wins her fight with Natka by biting.
- Meaningful Rename: She is renamed Mayrikafsa when she joins the Kihuut.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Her actions at the beginning cause more tension between the humans and Kihuut.
- That Man Is Dead: Mayrikafsa stops referring to herself as Rae.
- Took a Level in Badass: She's trained to fight with the Kihuut.
- Tomboy: Rae likes engineering and dislikes that she's expected to wear dresses, even while she's working in the fields. This is a bit of an issue with the homesteaders.
- Wrench Wench: She's good at engineering.
"Why shall I be a young warrior? A Kihuutkafsa? Because I am a strong fighter. I have the best aim of anyone in this village. I will not just go on raids one day. I will lead them."Temple is Rae's sister. She is renamed Kalashava after joining the Kihuut.
- Action Girl: She's trained by the Kihuut to be a great shot with a bow.
- The Archer: She makes her first kill with a bow, and is mentioned to be the best shot in the village, hitting people from very far away.
- Little Miss Badass: She's only nine, but a fierce fighter.
- Meaningful Rename: She is renamed Kalashava after joining the Kihuut.
- That Man Is Dead: Kalashava insists that people not call her Temple.