Apostles are beings who serve Fiends they are bound to with a blood pact, after receiving the Fiend's blood. By doing so, they receive eternal youth, and in terms of strength they become much stronger and may gain new abilities they didn't have before, but they aren't as nearly strong as Fiends since they lack the invincibility shield. There also isn't a limit to how many apostles a Fiend can have, but a larger amount of Apostles will weaken a Fiend just like how the Archfiend is weakened by a larger amount of Fiends.
The transformation into an apostle also doesn't change their personality or morality just like with their master, the Fiends. But apostles are unable to disobey orders from the Fiend they are contracted to. An apostle won't lose any of its abilities if the Fiend they are bound to dies and can then just live a normal live. Some apostles have even allied themselves to humans, such as Lucy Jiuletta who allied herself to Zeth.
Their are also another type of apostles known as "Lesser Apostles". These aren't True Apostles tied with a blood pact, but are rather individuals or beings that serve a Fiend for particular reasons which can include debts, friendship, slavery or in some cases the Fiend is their creator such as the stone guardians that Satella creates.
- The Ageless: True Apostles are unable to age like their master.
- Badass Normal: Overall, Apostles don't have as much powers as a Fiend and mostly keep abilities they had in life. However some of them are able to pose a threat to the most powerful humans on the setting, sometimes even other Fiends.
- FaceMonster Turn: Similar to the Fiends. They are not bound to obey their master outside of orders and can continue to live even after their death.
- Sacrificial Revival Spell: All of them have the special ability to gave back their blood to the Fiend who created them for healing purposes, at the cost of their own life.
One of Hornet's four Apostles. While seeming to be loyal to her mistress, she in fact wants to kill Miki Kurusu and have Hornet become the Archfiend instead.
- Ambiguously Human: she doesn't have any non-human traits other than her eye, but it's never been confirmed whether she's a human or a Gal Monster turned Apostle.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: in Rance X, she is raped to death on Kayblis's orders in an attempt to break Hornet's spirit.
- Hero Worship: described as being utterly obsessed with Hornet, which ties into her desire to see Hornet as the Archfiend.
- Wingding Eyes: she has a white hexagram in one of her eyes.
Four Dread Fiends
One of Kayblis's Apostles. She is a cat who attained a humanoid form upon drinking Kayblis's blood. Not too bright, her cheerful demeanor is rather at odds with the monstrous lord she serves.
- Cat Girl: she started out as just an ordinary cat, but transformed upon becoming an Apostle.
- Chainmail Bikini: she wears a white bikini with a handful of small armored parts.
One of Kayblis's Apostles. She is a dog that attained a humanoid form upon drinking his blood. Loyal, but slow-witted, she is nothing like one would expect of a Dread Fiend's Apostle.
LittleA Lesser Apostle and an automated armor reacting to every command of her master Silky. Its sturdiness allows her to be protected from any harm, even from weapons like Chaos and Nikkou.
- Creating Life: Silky created her out of various different monsters and imbued the body with life.
- Ironic Name: Little is in fact quite large, being a combination mobile throne, armor, and bodyguard for Silky.
- Stone Wall: Little's most obvious trait is her extreme durability, which she puts to use defending her mistress.
- Synchronization: as Silky grows stronger, so too does Little.
ReincockOne of the three True Apostles of Camilla, and her most fervent. He first appears in Rance VI alongside her other Apostles.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Reincock is always seen dressed with feminine clothes and adopt a ladylike behaviour with Camilla.
- Off with His Head!: Courtesy of Abert, who did it to test how Camilla would react to the loss of a loved one.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: In Kichikuou Rance, Rance discovers his true gender while trying to rape him, causing him to freak out with Reincock taunting him for that.
- The Unfought: In both of his appearances:
- He is used as a hostage by Rance in Kichikuou Rance in order to coerce Camilla into sex, but is left alone after the latter killed herself to escape Rance.
- Abert decapitates him after hearing his refusal to betray Camilla for his "trial".
ShichiseiOne of the three True Apostles of Camilla, he was also a Dragon like her. He can transform back into a white dragon to fight his enemies.
- Eyes Always Shut: He's not seen with his eyes open once.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Doesn't get a lot of screentime and gets killed not long after his first appearance.
Abert SafetySee his entry in Rance Fiends.
CaesarA Lesser Apostle, handmade Stone Guardian created by Satella with her Guardian Creation skills. He's mostly silent, but is absolutely obedient to her and listens to her every order, sometimes being Literal-Minded. He first appears in Rance 03 alongside her during the invasion of Leazas.
- Badass Baritone: From what we can get in Rance 03 with his deep tone.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: While Caesar is very powerful in his own right, his master Satella, being a Fiend, is stronger than him.
- Mighty Glacier: His stone body allows him to withstand a lot and hit like a truck but he's rather slow.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: He would obey every order of his master, but he can sometimes take action of his own initiative when sensing some form of danger, notably when Satella had sex with Rance, something very exhausting for her.
- The Stoic: Doesn't say much and isn't very expressive, except for when Satella is in danger, where he can be very talkative.
IsisAnother Stone Guardian made by Satella. Unlike Caeser who is more of a Mighty Glacier, he's actually very fast, bordering on Lightning Bruiser and is a dangerous foe to fight against, even for the strongest humans. He dies in battle in Rance III/03 following his sacrifice to prevent Satella from being sealed by Sel Curchgolf.
- Diving Save: To prevent the sealing of Satella in Rance III/03, Isis proceeds to push her out of danger at the cost of his own life.
- Lightning Bruiser: As opposed to Caesar, he's very fast and a dangerous foe to be reckoned with.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Has no qualms about raping an adventurer on his master's orders.
- Posthumous Character: Gets mentioned at various points in the series long after his death.
- The Quiet One: Doesn't say a single word in Rance 03 up until his death.
La Hawzel's Apostle, which betrayed her and turned to the Kayblis faction for reasons unknown.
- Playing with Fire: as might be expected of La Hawzel's Apostle, he has great command over flame.
- Turned Against Their Masters: one of the few Apostles to ever betray the Fiend they serve. Theoretically, La Hawzel could command Scrivener to return to her side, and he would be forced to obey, but she does not.
SapphireOne of the three Apostles of Ithere. She has the power to Mind Control armies, but she needs to do it from a high altitude, and doing so leaves her body defenseless.
- Gratuitous English: Likes to put english words at random.
- Mind Control: in the form of mass hypnosis, but it leaves her helpless and vulnerable while she's doing it.
- Signature Move: the Indigo Destruction Beam, a spell unique to herself.
- Stripperiffic: her outfit leaves her chest unconvered and only covers her shoulders, arms, waist, and legs.
Another of Ithere's Apostles, who participated in the Helman invasion of Leazas.
- Ambiguously Brown: unlike her fellow Apostles, she has darker skin, as though tanned.
- Combined Energy Attack: she at one point contributes to a Black Destruction Beam used against Rance's party.
- Stripperriffic: her outfit leaves her chest and torso bare, covering only her arms, waist, and legs.
The third of Ithere's Apostles, who also took part in the Helman invasion of Leazas.
- Combined Energy Attack: she can combine her power with Sapphire and Garnet to fire a Black Destruction Beam.
- Mind Control: not as powerful as Sapphire's, but she did control Rance at one point to get him to hand over Chaos and fight his own party.
- Stripperriffic: she wears the same breast-baring outfit as Ithere's other Apostles.
The sole True Apostle working for Sieg. A former Lycanthrope Gal Monster, she was saved from a life of slavery in a circus by Sieg, and was changed into an Apostle after he was impressed by her devotion to him, and was the only one who ever attended his seminars. She first appears in Rance VI as a mailgirl, then as a member of the Zethan terrorist group Pentagon, to gather intel about the Mana Batteries for the monster Army.
- A-Cup Angst: She was self-concious of it when she was partying with Rance during the coalition of Ice Flame and Pentagon.
- Ascended Fangirl: Her devotion to Sieg made him ascend her into an Apostle.
- The Chessmaster: She manipulated Ice Flame and Pentagon into destroying the Mana Batteries to disable the Maginot Line. Only Kaoru had a few suspicions.
- Continuity Cameo: Gets a minor appearance in Rance Quest Magnum as a mailgirl.
- Delivery Guy Infiltration: As a mailgirl for Ice Flame.
- I Have Many Names: Ryouko Todoroki as a mailgirl, Pompadour as a Pentagon commander, and probably another one as a maid in the Zeth Castle. Her true name is Aurora.
- Master of Disguise: Being a Lycanthrope allows her to change her clothes whenever she wants. The other characters don't notice at all except for Sieg.
- Single-Target Sexuality: For Sieg.
- Stealth Expert: Implied by her stealing of Sieg's Blood Soul who was under surveillance in a Zeth base.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: The Blood Soul ends up being eaten by the Apostle Abert Safety, making him her master to her horror.
YukiThe sole True Apostle working for La Seizel and a bit of a nutcase. She was a former Frozen, a species of Gal Monster specialized in Ice Magic and living in cold regions. Unlike most of Apostles, she often makes fun of her master and belittles her, but is still faithful and protective of her as seen in Rance VI, where she lied to Kayblis about her death in order to protect her. She appears again with her in Rance X.
- Groin Attack: Her notable feat against Rance, by allowing him to have sex with her until she self-destroys her body (except her head) to instantly freeze his crotch, rendering him utterly unable to fight and wield Chaos for some time.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Downplayed. She was a far more dangerous threat to the Rance's party because she completely disabled him following her Groin Attack, while her master was pretty much a Cutscene Boss.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite spending most of her time mocking her master La Seizel in Rance VI, she notably tells Kayblis of her being KIA while in fact she barely survived, in order to hide her from him.
- Meaningful Name: Yuki can translate as Snow in Japanese. Somehow as zigzagged exemple, because her name is written in katakana, which is more used for foreign names.
- Paper Master: Downplayed. When reduced to only a head, she uses paper planes to keep herself afloat.
- Perpetual Smiler: Is always seen smiling and laughing all the way.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite her petite looks, she can easily defeat the average human with her giant fists.
- Power Fist: She wears two giant fists made of ice to punch her enemies.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: She can self-destroy her body to prevent her from being captured or using her head for covert operations.
- Signature Laugh: "Kekekekekekekekeh!"
- Un-Evil Laugh: Her Signature Laugh has shades of this, especially when she ends every of them with a random word that starts with a "K", like Kayblis.
Medusa's Apostle, who usually acts as her butler. He was a catman monster prior to becoming an Apostle.
Rona KestinaThe final descendant of the Kestina Family and a Lesser Apostle, who serves as the failsafe for RedEye since her death would mean his. However, she's badly abused by him and left barely alive, who only sees her as a means of keeping himself alive and doesn't care for her health as long as she can carry a child for preserving the Kestina lineage. She appears in Kichikuou Rance, then much later Rance X, both under RedEye's captivity.
Perfect GirlA series of True Apostles created by Pi-R, using his comatose sister as the main template.
- Flawed Prototype: PG-1 through PG-9 are all prototypes of the true "Perfect Girl", and as such are all missing something Pi-R deems necessary. Once he perfects PG-10, he plans to revive his sister using the technology.
- Made a Slave: all of the PG series of cyborgs were human girls forcibly experimented on and brainwashed into his slaves.
An Apostle of Burksham with the appearance of a young girl. She has the power to predict the future.
- Food as Bribe: she doesn't generally share her future predictions, but can be convinced to if given delicious candy.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: acts like a little kid despite her age and power, being obsessed with candy and playing.
- Older Than She Looks: has the appearance of a child, but as an Apostle is likely centuries old.
Another of Burksham's Apostles gifted with clairvoyance. She disappeared 500 years ago searching for the next Archfiend.
- Adaptive Ability: she resembles a humanoid mammoth now, because her body transformed and adapted to the harsh climate of northern Helman.
- Ambiguously Human: Burksham's other Apostles are human, and she apparently started out looking like a young girl, but humans don't generally turn into mammoths in extreme cold.
The third Apostle of Burksham. She was present at the founding of Zeth and remains as a member of their court, though she possesses little actual political power.
- Been There, Shaped History: she aided Parsley Zeth in creating the nation, and in fact was the one who suggested making it a nation of mages, for mages.
- Seers: she can predict the future, but only vaguely. As a result her prophecies aren't as useful as one might think. Her abilities are still obvious enough that she's referred to as "The Prophet of Zeth".
AtlantaOne of the two Apostles of Lexington, first seen in Rance IV, and notably much chronologically later in Toushin Toshi II and Toushin Toushi III. Since her master's death in the GI Era, Atlanta has searched for a way to resurrect him while carrying his Blood Soul, but was mostly unsuccessful due to her lack of competence. Her signature technique consists of trapping someone in a broken mirror, with the only way of getting out requiring someone else to reassemble the mirror.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Atlanta has a notable greyish skin.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Fights without any clothes.
- No-Sell: Her mirror ability in Rance X allows her to protect herself from physical attacks.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: In all of her appearances.
JunoOne of the two Apostles of Lexington, first appearing in Toushin Toshi III and later Rance X. Along with Atlanta, he started a competition to find the most suitable candidate to host their master's Blood Soul, but was unsuccessful up to this day.
ToukichirouThe personal pet of Oda Nobunaga, who met him in his teenage years and stayed at his side ever since. He ressembles a little monkey, not bigger than a hand, and mostly keeps a cute and innocent demeanor.
In reality, he's a Apostle working for the Dread Fiend Xavier, and intends to free him from the Tenshi Sect gourds, with Oda Nobunaga as his host. Taking advantage of Rance's takeover of the Oda in Sengoku Rance, he manages to break one of the gourds, thus beginning Xavier's deadly crusade in Nippon once more.
While he does play a major role in releasing his master, he isn't very active in the battlefield, and is quite weak compared to other Apostles. As such, he's killed quite easily at the end of Sengoku Rance, in the final battle against Xavier.
- Manipulative Bastard: Only became Nobunaga's pet as a means of getting all of Xavier's gourds.
- Small Role, Big Impact: His sole act was to break one of the gourds, leading to Nobunaga being possessed by Xavier, and setting a chain of events which escalated to a national incident in Nippon.
- Weak, but Skilled: While he's quite weak in battle, he makes up with a special ability, which exhausts enemies to prevent them from fighting for too long.
Byakko/RengokuThe first of Xavier's Apostles to awaken following his unsealing, who joins his master at Honnouji Temple before anyone catches on to Xavier's revival. He resembles a fat, oddly proportioned human with white skin, but has an alternate monster form, so it's unclear exactly what he is.
- Gonk: he has a very unusual human form, with pure white skin, elongated earlobes, Blank White Eyes, and more than a little fat.
- Hand Cannon: He carries an utterly enormous pistol with him. Where he got it and what it uses for ignition are unclear, since he's had it long before Maria invented the Tulip.
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into a... large white-furred thing with enormous tusks when backed into a corner.
Suzaku/GigaiAnother of Xavier's Apostles, Gigai was sealed within Nanjo Ran of the Houjou House. He usually appears as a dark-skinned man, but his true form is that of a one-legged fiery bird.
- Depraved Homosexual: in Sengoku Rance, where he falls in love with Rance and becomes of the few to genuinely disturb the Designated Hero. His sexuality is a bit tough to define since it's revealed he can change gender when reviving... in any case, he seems to prefer men whatever gender he currently is.
- Gender Bender: Following his revival in Rance Quest, he's turned into a girl.
- Hero Killer: Quite literally if the player isn't careful. Gigai is the strongest of Xavier's Apostles and is an incredibly powerful fighter, so sending any of your commanders at him will result in their deaths. Kentarou is an exception: since he's a Fiend himself by that point, the Invincibility Field protects him.
- Karmic Death: One possible way to kill him in Sengoku Rance (for the moment, anyway) is to send Souun Houjou to fight him. Souun is an experienced enough exorcist to take on whatever Gigai truly is, and will avenge the death of his fiancee.
- Playing with Fire: Considering his true form resembles a phoenix, it's not surprising that most of his attacks center around flames and fire.
- Resurrective Immortality: Any time Gigai dies, he revives without fail, though it does take him some time to do so. It's been said that only the gods themselves would be able to kill him permanently.
Seiryuu/ShikibuXavier's only female Apostle. Also the only one known to have been human before becoming an Apostle. She lives for murder and killing, nothing else.
- Blood Knight: She loves fighting and killing, and delights in the fear and terror of her victims.
- Emotionless Girl: when not fighting, her face is deadpan and her voice is monotone. The only time she displays any emotion is in killing.
- Mugging the Monster: It was unwise of her to attack Kentarou and Miki... though she nearly kills Kentarou, this is enough to cause Miki to enter a rage and give in to the Little Princess. Faced with the Archfiend herself, Shikibu is annihilated in short order.
Genbu/MadouXavier's final Apostle, a strange-looking man with an enormous head, wearing the outfit of a priest and carrying a staff. He is the creator and master of Genbu Castle, the strange dimension that forms the setting of Rance 5D.
- Affably Evil: his morality is... bizarre, to say the least. Normally he's polite and cordial, and when he found a young boy who had survived Soul Binder's attack, he actually showed pity and sympathy for the kid... which he demonstrated by murdering the boy so he could "be with his family". He views this as a good deed.
- Apologetic Attacker: he apologizes to Chinu after he bursts from her body, and says a prayer over her remains. Further, while it's easy to enrage him, he calms down equally quickly and tends to apologize afterward.
- Greater-Scope Villain: he's the one who created Genbu Castle, and therefore caused all the problems in Rance 5D. At the time, no one knew where Genbu had gone for the past 500 years, but Sengoku Rance reveals that he had been sealed in Nippon alongside his master.
- One-Winged Angel: Like Xavier's other Apostles, he has a monstrous true form... in his case, he resembles a half-stone, eyeless elephant whose trunk is a snake.
- Speech Impediment: He has a bad stutter. It makes him seem less dangerous than he truly is.
- The Strategist: Not really much of a fighter himself, he plans out overall strategy with Xavier and commands Xavier's Monster Army.
Brad & Pitt
Two Apostles of the Hanny Fiend Masuzoe. They are actually Hanny ghosts bound to the physical world by Masuzoe.
- No-Sell: as hannies, they possess the usual Absolute Magic Defense. Problem is, as ghosts, physical attacks don't work either...
The only Apostle of Warg. Called her "dog" despite resembling a flying dolphin.