The ALICE Church, more commonly known as the AL Church, is home for the largest religion in the Continent. Founded long ago during the SS Era, in the old days of humanity, it had the same function as you can expect of a church. As such, their goal is to guide humanity to happiness and salvation, accompanying them all the way to the afterlife, while forbidding sex and alcohol.
It is also a non-profit organization, but makes it up by getting massive donations from followers since they are the most prominent religion, and even own a private army, mainly made of Temple Knights. Finally, the church is located in the remote island of Kawanakajima, located in a river between Zeth and the Free Cities. Most of their members are Priests and Bishops, with the main criteria of selection requiring to have some form of Divine Magic abilities, ruled by the Pope, absolute leader of the Church and acting as the goddess ALICE's representative.
In fact, the AL Church mainly serves as a means to manipulate human society, in order to satisfy the Gods' thirst for entertainment and chaos, with ALICE serving as a direct intermediate between the Pope and the Creator God Rudrathaum himself. Every Pope is made aware of this during their appointment, making them yet another pawn in the Gods' Hierarchy despite having the best interests of humanity at heart.
- Artifact Collection Agency: One of the Church's goals is to collect dangerous artifacts to preserve the world balance.
- Bonus Boss: She can be fought in a non-canon encounter in Rance Quest. The player will have to do insane amounts of grinding to even stand a chance against her.
- Holy Halo: Part of her ensemble to make herself look like a benevolent goddess to mankind.
- Light Is Not Good: She has the appearance of an angel, with three sets of wings, a halo, the works. She's also actively working to ensure that peace never comes to humanity and conflict continues to reign supreme.
- The Rival: She and Quelplan do not like each other and always seem to compete when they meet.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: In combat, she uses some form of divine power that humanity cannot comprehend. It appears like a Storm of Blades made of light that attacks from all directions.
- Anti-Hero: At first, she considered friends and companions as expendable pawns, but after meeting Rance, she grows out of it.
- Big Good: Of Part II.
- Cool Hat: Granted with goggles. However, they do nothing.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Downplayed. She has the looks of a teenage boy, which causes Rance to mistake her for a man, if not for her skirt.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Manages to be a mix of deception, loneliness, and the veil (supernaturally knowledgeable in her case).
- Perpetual Frowner: In contrast to Am, she doesn't smile at all. Up until Rance X: Part 2, for a very good reason.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Am's Red.
- Single-Use Shield: Her normal card in Rance X.
- The Stoic: Nothing seems to make lose her composure, to the point one could easily interpret it as a Lack of Empathy: she's very aware of her surroundings, but prefers to not show any emotions.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: She's currently searching for a way to solve the Planner Scenario, but she leans more towards Idealism compared to her past predecessor Am, who vowed to kill Rudrathaum with a brutal method to end humanity's suffering.
- Story-Breaker Power: More specifically, she searches for items or people harnessing great power in order to seal them.
- When She Smiles: At the end of '' Part II''.
- You Never Asked: The reason why she didn't say anything about Sill actually being an IP body and that her real body was still frozen.
Plays a larger role in Kichikuou Rance, where he remains the Pope and opposes Rance's conquest.
- Sinister Minister: while he's not shown doing much explicitly evil in Kichikuou Rance, his actions are not very in line with the AL Church. The Angel Knight Leda ultimately strikes him down for betraying the Church's aims, and he is posthumously revealed to have been stealing from the Church's treasury.
- These Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know: he claimed to have books of prophecy that predicted everything happening on the Continent, but never showed them or their contents to anyone, citing this trope.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: in the canon timeline, the first time he's mentioned is in his obituary, and what little is known of him is secondhand.
- Ambiguously Human: Am is in her sixties, yet still looks like a young girl. She also has otherworldly powers which clearly surpass those of humans, and is able to survive fatal wounds.
- An Arm and a Leg: After her defeat in Rance Quest, her body gets cut down in multiple parts to prevent her from moving in her prison.
- Anti-Villain: She has ultimately a good intention, but her means are far from harmless.
- Arch-Enemy: To Crook Mofus.
- Big Bad: Of Rance Quest Magnum.
- Broken Pedestal: The AL Church.
- Complexity Addiction: As revealed in Rance X: Part 2, Crook achieved the result Am wished for all these years simply by using her Pope's wish to make Rudrathaum live a life among humans and teach him compassion.
- Dark Messiah: Appears as one through Rance Quest Magnum, being the leader of the Shepherds.
- Despair Event Horizon: Upon learning the truth of the Continent and its purpose. Also, her aim is to induce this to all of humanity, preventing them from going back to the Creator God and being reincarnated.
- Godzilla Threshold: Rance can free her during the Second Fiend War to join the ranks of the Fiend Extermination Squad.
- Hazy Feel Turn: After her liberation, she claims to be "always on the side of humanity", which means she's still determined to kill Rudrathaum, but helps the Human Alliance at the same time.
- Holy Hand Grenade: The Divine Magic is usually a healing magic, but Am uses it to damage her foes.
- Manipulative Bastard: Thanks to being The Social Expert, she can quickly persuade people to do her bidding. Notably, she convinces Calory to forgive her actions in Rance Quest despite having every reason in the world to loathe her, and eventually Rance himself. Only Crook Mofus is immune to her words.
- Older Than They Look: She is around 60 years old and looks no older than Crook.
- Perpetual Smiler: In contrast to Crook, she has a ever-smiling face.
- Psycho Psychologist: Uses her talent in Negociation to further her goals and push people past the Despair Event Horizon.
- Promoted to Playable: In Rance X, if the player chooses to free her.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Her main motivation.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Crook's Blue.
- Reformed, but Not Tamed: Despite having joined the Human Alliance, she's still trying to do her thing by searching for war widowers in villages, since they are more likely to have crossed the Despair Event Horizon. However, she's kept under watch by Rance and Crook.
- The Social Expert: She has a Lv3 Conversation Skill allowing her to persuade and manipulate people easily.
- Talking Your Way Out: How she manages to escape her prison: by convincing Rance and his party to free her.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Exploited. She convinces Rance and his party to free by giving herself the role of the martyr. It works, despite Crook's protests.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Following her defeat at the end of Rance Quest, she is sealed by the AL Church. Rance can free her during the events of Rance X when the Fiend Extermination Squad drive the monsters away from Kawanakajima.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Leans heavily towards Cynicism compared to her successor Crook, as learning the truth of the Planner Scenario made her fall into despair, and gave her the idea of polluting Souls to indirectly destroy Rudrathaum, since he cannot be appeased with anything other than suffering.
- Stepford Smiler: Despite always seen smiling, she harbors 100% of Soul Pollution, meaning she's one of the most depressed humans alive.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She wants to free Humans from the cycle of Reincarnation to depower the Creator God, but needs to push them over the Despair Event Horizon to do so.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Downplayed, as she's not evil herself, but her means to accomplish her goals are.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: One of her main abilities.
He then came back much later in Rance Quest as an Archbishop, and eventually serves under the new Pope Crook Mofus.
- Badass Preacher: he's an incredible fighter and helped out in the war between Leazas and Helman, even earning Rick Addison's praise.
- Combat Medic: he's just as skilled at healing as he is in combat, and will frequently heal Rance's party when they meet in early games.
- The Good Shepherd: he's entirely oblivious to the dark side of the AL Church and wholeheartedly believes in helping people and doing good.
- Dark Lord on Life Support: his extreme age leaves him infirm and confined to a wheelchair. He relies heavily on a Gal Monster servant to even live day to day.
- Evil Old Folks: he's somewhere around 160 years old, and definitely among the more evil members of the Church.
- Sinister Minister: his desire to become Pope has overruled everything else, to the point that he's willing to support people like Stessel Romanov if it means getting a leg up. It's later revealed that his soul is 100% "polluted", a difficult feat, as most people commit suicide at around 80% pollution, unable to bear it.
A priestess of the AL Church who only appears in Kichikuou Rance. She is given to Rance as a gesture of goodwill by the Church.
- Blind Obedience: she is, by far, the most fanatically faithful of all the AL Church followers seen. She treats the words of her religious superiors as absolute truth and never questions them, even when they speak contradictions.
- Brother Chuck: she makes no appearance in the canonical games, though one of Arios Theoman's unseen former girlfriends shares the same name.
- Nun Too Holy: not her fault: the Pope took advantage of her blind devotion to turn her into his sex slave. As such, she believes pleasuring men to be a holy ritual.
Head of the Church's Temple Knights, the military arm of the organization. He keeps his position secret from his family to avoid worrying them.
- Church Militant: serves as this if necessary, though usually the Temple Knights are more commonly deployed to battle devils or Balance Breakers.
- Praetorian Guard: his position also sees him as part of the Pope's personal cadre of bodyguards.
- Unfortunate Name: often known by his initials, giving him the name "BS Centers".
A young University student, Sachiko is saved from monsters by Rance... who promptly makes her his slave as a replacement for Sill. She's a primary character in Rance Quest.
- Hidden Depths: for all her lack of self-esteem, she actually has a very high level cap of 59. She's also fantastic at baking, as well as caring for children.
- Humble Goal: all she wants out of life is to be a beautiful bride and mother.
- Named Weapons: weirdly, she named her shield rather than her sword. She calls it "Hisorshi".