Character sheet for the Rachel Griffin series.
The Power Trio
- Because You Can Cope: Rachel is allowed to keep certain powers and memories because she can be trusted with them.
- Conflicting Loyalties: Rachel faces this when she finds Gaius, the boy she has a crush on, is also her beloved older brother's bitter rival.
- Crush Blush: "My love" — which is a regional saying that means nothing — still turns Rachel's face hot enough to fry eggs on it.
- Daddy's Girl: Grandfather's girl.
- Heroic Lineage: Her grandfather was a general who personally fought and bound the demon Crowley; her father is a Secret Agent. as is her oldest sister.
- In Harm's Way: When charging into danger once more, she reflects that this does not help in trying to be an ordinary girl.
- Little Miss Badass: Exemplified by the actions which won her a boyfriend: Rachel is flying over the campus, warning students when an enemy hexes her broom out from under her, dropping her out of the sky. On the way down, she is able to identify and paralyze the enemy and summon her broom back with a spell she learned the day before, hits the ground rolling, vaults back on, and keeps going. Rachel is not to be trifled with.
- Obliviously Beautiful: Rachel has to logically work out that the stunningly cute girl in Siggy's memories is herself, and while she ponders her appearance for a time, it doesn't sink in; later, she considers other students, not herself, to be part of The Beautiful Elite, though another girl, reeling off a list of gorgeous students, includes Rachel without a blink.
- Photographic Memory: Rachel has perfect recall — absolutely perfect, which means she can, in memory, see through illusions and other spells that hid the truth from her at the time. Which also lets her conclusively determine whether such magic was used.
- Precocious Crush: on Vladimir, who is over twenty.
- Really 17 Years Old: Is thirteen; looks elevenish.
- Shorter Means Smarter
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She decides to date a boy when she realizes that everything she's experienced herself with him has been good; all the bad things are rumors (and sometimes ambiguous even then).
- Stupid Sexy Friend: to Sigfried, whom she is very fond of and regards as a brother (and taken.) Even so, Rachel has to admit that he's very good-looking.
- Unreliable Narrator: Her worldview is limited by the fact that she is a thirteen year old girl.
- Walking the Earth: A chance to travel through dreams to foreign lands has her observe that her burning desire to know everything is also a burning desire to travel far.
Nastasia RomanovThe princess of Magical Australia.
- The Chains of Commanding: In Dreamland, she refuses to commit trespass like her friends because it would an international incident and not just kids if they were caught.
- In book 4, Nastasia actively refuses to be friendly with Wulfgang Starkadder (who is crushing on her), because she is afraid of making any mistake that could leak information and harm their group or their cause.
- Determinator: Shows signs of becoming one, for the sake of protecting her friends.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: The group looks to her for leadership...which she is entirely unable and unequipped to provide.
- Especially agravating to Rachel when her suggestions and ideas get attributed to Nastasia immediately.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: She's the princess of Magical Australia.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She's also a Princess Classic with long blonde hair.
- Honor Before Reason: Nastasia has trouble with the idea of distributing false information to find out who The Mole is, because it would involve lying.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Was made to forget her grandfather.
- Lawful Stupid: Getting a detention for saving lives by disobeying an order is fine by her. Indeed, she is disappointed when a teacher reveals it was really a subterfuge to get them out of the school.
- Zoe flat-out asks Nastasia if shes doing this on purpose.
- Princess Classic: Princess Nastasia of Magical Australia, to a fault.
- Such a fault that her friends and family find her frustrating at times. Her siblings believe that she's over-compensating for her father's outrageous behavior.
- Proper Lady: To a tee. (and a fault.)
- Princess Classic
- Long Hair Is Feminine
- Waif Prophet: At several points, she faints when she touches people from other worlds and has visions of where they came from. Also has prophetic visions — that avert Prophecies Are Always Right, since they inspire Big Damn Heroes to stop them, which are sometimes successful.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: Not even for vital reasons.
Sigfried SmithA teenage dragonslayer who also becomes Rachel's friend.
- Attention Whore: Enjoys being a celebrity—naturally enough, after his upbringing.
- Amazon Chaser
- Big Eater: Sigfried, but played seriously: his upbringing has taught him the necessity of hiding caches of food.
- Book Dumb
- Boisterous Bruiser
- The Ditz: Sigfried cannot/will not concentrate on anything that does not pertain to blowing things up, stabbing them, setting them on fire, or other such knightly pursuits. It's only with difficulty he can be persuaded to think about saving the world.
- Fearless Fool
- The Fettered: Book 4 reveals that he thinks this is an ideal condition for a knight.
- Good Name For A Rock Band: Announces he is going to name his rock band, "Dragonsmiths." Or possibly, Punk Alchemists. It varies from day to day.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Takes boxing lessons from hockey-player roommate Seth Peregrine.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Is also blond.
- Healing Herb: He does pick up a taste for learning how to create potions. Rachel gives him some guidance in finding the herbs for them.
- Innocent Inaccurate: ....let's just say he probably isn't an actual robot.
- Kid Samurai: Aspires to be one.
- He also believes that King Arthur is going to return, and wants to be one of the Knights of the Round Table.
- Male Gaze: Siefried's memories features this prominently for everybody except Rachel, whom he regards as his sister.
- Mysterious Parent: Dr. Mordeau/The Veltdammerung want to know if he knows his father's name.
- Naïve Newcomer: New to all this magic stuff. A fact exploited to let Rachel info-dump.
- Orphanage of Fear: was raised in one.
- Randomly Gifted: He was not born to a magical family.
- Walking the Earth: Rachel notes his "wanderlust."
Close friends and allies
Lucky the dragon
- Anti-Magic: Can unmake enchantments with his fire.
- Big Eater
- Cherry Blossoms: A vision about his origins connected him to Japan. This was one of the indicators.
- Cover Blowing Super Power: Rachel asks him if he can talk. Panicked, not knowing what to do, he asks Siggy, in front of her. (Most dragons can't talk in this universe).
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!
- Shoulder-Sized Dragon
- Tagalong Kid: insists on being included in the Power Trio.
- Fangirl: To Nastasia.
- The Chosen One: May be the subject of a prophecy along with Nastasia.
- Giving credence to this is the fact that her magic is able to hurt Azrael.
- Annoying Sidekick: She's pretty annoying.
- True Companion: Stands up for Rachel when she is being harassed by bullies.
- The Heart: Seems to be taking this role.
- Celeb Crush: Is crushing on Sigfried.
- Intrepid Reporter
- It Was a Gift: At one point, she wishes that she would break a rib rather than the camera lens her father gave her.
- Punny Name: Named her female Norwegian Elkhound familiar, "Payback."
- Team Mom: is developing towards this.
- Amazon Chaser
- Amnesiac Dissonance: The princess's vision involving him had a space station blowing up. He confesses to Rachel that he's pretty sure he had something to do with it, and wonders whether he was a good person.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Is studying Thaumaturgy, which involves ritual animal sacrifice and is one of the least-well regarded, though still perfectly legal, branches of magic. He also has some sort of reputation on campus. And Nastasia doesn't like him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Rachel realizes, after a bit, that the rumors don't match what she's seen. Still, he did fight a duel with her brother and refused to explain because a gentleman does not curse and tell.
- Expy: from the princess's visions, he came from a Star Wars universe. Between his coming from a farm and thinking he might be responsible for an artificial moon blowing up, Luke Skywalker seems likely.
- Another possibility is that, given that he also is firmly convinced that his past self was not a good person, he was actually Anakin, rather than Luke.
- Farm Boy: His family runs a commercial chicken farm.
- King Arthur: While a commoner, he can trace his descent to Sir Bors, one of Arthur's knights.
- Book 3 reveals that his grandfather was a magician who chose to live as a mundane.
- Nerds Are Sexy: part of his attraction to Rachel is her intelligence...as shown when he arranges for her to have physics and advanced mathematics lessons.
- Pet the Dog: Early, he helps Rachel with a spell when she spills orange juice on her clothes.
- Sailor's Ponytail
- Secret Legacy: He learned, after he started to learn magic, that his grandfather had been a sorcerer, but gave it up.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: With von Dread in book 1.
- Pointy Ears
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: Carries his dueling wand in a spring-loaded wrist sheath.
- The Stoic: cultivates a dispassionate, detatched air.
Vladimir von Dread
- The Ace: Vladimir has a rack of Olympic medals—from different events—all but one of them gold or silver.
- Big Man on Campus: Rachel, wanting to get help for a student, talks to him, not to the teachers.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: After hugging Rachel, he asks her not to reveal to anyone else that he does, as then he'll be required to give them out more often.
- Conspicuous Gloves: Vladimir Von Dread wears thick black gloves, possibly to invoke the Gloved Fist of Doom.
- I Will Protect You: Part of the reason Rachel likes being around him is that he makes her feel safe.
- Offhand Backhand: Vladimir von Dread is quite good at these.
- Pride: Arrogant and imperious.
- Shock and Awe: Vladimir von Dread's specialty. He won a gold medal in the Magical Olympics for it.
- Love Makes You Evil: When Rachel asks him if he is evil, Dread replies that he believes he is: he's willing to burn the entire world for the one he loves.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: though not occupying any position more official than leader of the Knights, he takes seriously his responsibilities. At one point, Rachel is pleased because he does more for a student than any tutor.
- Multiversal Conqueror: his past self ruled 65 worlds.
- We Help the Helpless: While he praises the quest for power, he makes it clear that the purpose of it is for protecting people.
- As did his past incarnation, a brutal tyrant who allowed no one to oppress the downtrodden. Except himself, apparently.
- Abusive Parents
- Lonely Doll Girl
- Really 17 Years Old: Is at least thirteen. Looks eight.
- Retired Monster: Reformed monster? Her previous incaration was a lamia.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dream Walker: has magical sandals that allow her to walk into dreamlan.
- Which are confiscated in book 4.
- Drop the Hammer: Wields a greenstone Maori war club in battle.
- Odd Friendship: With Joy.
- Parental Neglect: Was shuffled from relative to relative to be raised.
- The Quiet One: is very low-key compared to Rachel's other friends.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Can change her hair color at will.
James Darling Jr.
- Expy: Has shades of Harry Potter...crossed with Draco Malfoy.
- Jerk Jock: Captain of the school flying polo team; points and laughs at a younger girl who trips and spills juice on her robes.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Taunts von Dread to his face that she's not scared of him. His response promptly remedies that.
- Buxom Is Better: Is very well developed for a fourteen year old, and goes to great lengths to show off.
- Rich Bitch / Spoiled Sweet: Has shades of both, as she is heir to the Fiction 500 Ouroboros Industries, but lacks the noblesse oblige that Rachel and Nastasia were obliged to learn. On the other hand, she's Valerie's best friend and has no problems with Rachel.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: is a pretty nice person to Rachel and others; but shows unabashed, utter glee when asked to annoy/taunt/infuriate others.
- The Cassandra: Naturally.
- Knight In Sour Armor:Xandra does not particularly seem to relish her powers, and does seem to feel something akin to schadenfreude when Nastasia has a Fainting Seer episode.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Someone named Cassandra, with the nickname "Flops Over Dead Chick".
- In the Hood: Wears a giant black cloak with the hood pulled down to her chin.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Anti-Magic: She can't even use a broom, normally possible even for mundanes who have no magic.
- Anger Born of Worry: : Reuniting with Enoch after his apparent death, her first reaction is to rage at him for not thinking.
- Back from the Dead: Or rather, the Raven reworked history so he didn't die at all, but was hidden for fear he had been the target
- Heroic Sacrifice: He threw himself between an attack and another character.
Dean Jacinta Moth
- Cool Old Lady
- Stern Teacher
- Reasonable Authority Figure: promises to not let Rachel be withdrawn from school unnecessarily.
Mr. ChansonThe gym teacher.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: rare male example. Rachel repeatedly thinks of him as being extremely handsome.
- Made of Iron: Can survive being driven through a brick wall and fifty feet of earth. (although he is a big groggy when the heroes find him.)
- Super Speed
- Meaningful Name: Nastasia's father calls him Roland St.-Michael.
- Made of Iron: Survives being rammed through a brick wall and fifty feet of earth.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Nastasia's vision shows him wearing armor and a surcoat of red and blue.
- Commonality Connection: numerous people, including him and Nastasia, have blue highlights in their hair.
- The Ace: is the only person in history to have recieved seven rings of mastery, one for each branch of the Art.
- Expy: of Harry Potter's Hermione: extremely smart, bushy-haired, the heroine of her own set of adventures while at school...
- Heroic Redhead
- Stern Teacher: takes over as the Roanoke math teacher after the previous one turned into a dragon and exploded.
- Absent-Minded Professor: tends to forget where she has put items.
- Celestial Paragons and Archangels: Protects the world from utter destruction.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: black, feathered wings put him right on the line.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: turns out to be a major power and protection for the world.
- Mysterious Watcher
- Sure, Let's Go with That: Rachel requests to call him "Jariel." He acquiesces, although admitting that this isn't his actual name.
- Our Angels Are Different
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Ravens and Crows
- Reality Warper: Starts with the ability to make Lucky lose his intelligence. Escalates to the ability to rework history retroactively, rescue people from destroyed universes and make them fit in the new universe, and protect the multiverse.
- Winged Humanoid
Leander The LionA miniaturized lion, Kitten Fabian's familiar.
- Enigmatic Minion: Gives aid and comforts the heroes without revealing who or what it is to them.
- Expy: Is pretty clearly Aslan in disguise.
- Made entirely explicit in book 4.
- King of Beasts: Despite being magically shrunken to housecat size.
- Comforting Comforter: Has this effect on people.
- Talking Animal
Ambrose Griffin, duke of Devon
- Adult Fear: in book 4, Rachel realizes that, while she is friendly with Jariel, the relationship looks entirely different to someone who only knows him as the memory-wiping Guardian of the world.
- Expy: in-universe, the James Darling: Agent comic books are this of him. He's basically Batman in them.
- Not Now, Kiddo: Rachel resents that he doesn't seem to have time to talk or listen to her. This comes to a head in book 4.
- Parents as People: Book 4 shows Rachel being confronted with the fact that he has his own duties and agenda as well.
- One Head Taller: is quite tall, while his wife is quite short.
- Secret Keeper: Entirely averted. Rachel feels that she can have absolutely no confidences in him after he refuses to listen to her.
The Forces of Evil
- Revenge by Proxy: She targets Rachel as her father's daughter since Rachel's father had taken down her father.
- Scaled Up: transforms into a dragon to fight. It doesn't help.
- Villainous Widow's Peak
- Superpowered Evil Side
- The Dragon: to Mortimer Egg and later to Morax.
- Evil Is Petty
- Nightmare Fuel: She attempts to sacrifice her own son.