This page is dedicated to showing the characters in RWBY: The Abridged Series. It is currently under construction.
- I remember when I had friends, but then I started dating my scythe. Oh, baby...
Ruby is The Protagonist of the story. She likes hanging out with her older sister Yang, writing Lion King fanfiction, stealing and taking drugs, talking about weapons, and killing Grimm. Shes also dating her scythe.
- Adaptational Wimp: In the original show, Ruby was able tear a young Nevermores body to pieces completely by accident, injure the leader of a Beowolf pack and needed to be pinned down before a Death Stalker could keep up when chasing her. Here, Ruby needs to exert more effort just to kill the young Nevermore and doesnt leave any noticeable damage to its dead body, she only injuries the leader of the Beowolf pack because it wasnt interested in fighting, and the Death Stalker manages to easily catch up with Ruby and bring the pain before she gets pinned down. Although like everything else, this is subject to the Rule of Funny, as Ruby still manages to take out Romans henchmen and kill the adult Nevermore with the help of Yang, Blake, and Weiss, and do both even faster than in canon.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Ruby is absent minded, has difficulty socializing with and expressing empathy for other people, an apparent fetish for weapons of all kinds, and has a habit of stealing items she likes.
- Asshole Victim: Ruby tries to kill a Death Stalker because she really likes killing Grimm and for her efforts, she gets the crap kicked out of her to the point that she ends up getting injured somewhere important.
- Bullying a Dragon: Ruby's attempt at killing a Death Stalker only succeeds in getting herself beaten up.
- Cargo Ship: In-Universe. Along with an apparent weapon fetish in general, Ruby herself outright states that shes dating her scythe, Crescent Rose.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Romans thugs dont even last ten seconds when Ruby really cuts loose. Ruby ends up on the receiving end when she tries to fight a Death Stalker one on one, with hilariously dark results.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Ruby has a habit of threatening, physically assaulting, and/or killing people at the drop of a hat, and often for very minor slights at that.
- Innocently Insensitive: Ruby is normally completely unapologetic in her actions. That being said, Ruby at least has the decency to feel embarrassed when she accidentally insults Yangs friends.
- Jerkass: Ruby steals any items she likes, insults or threatens anyone who makes fun of her relationship with Crescent Rose, pesters unwilling people with questions about their weapons and mocks anyone who doesnt measure up to her standards, is constantly killing or trying to kill Grimm simply because she can get away with it, and expresses hypocritical standards when it comes to protecting the forest.
- Kick the Dog: Ruby kills a young Nevermore that was just enjoying his day and minding his own business, simply because she wanted too.
- Mugging the Monster: One of Romans thugs tries to rob Ruby in episode one, she kills him and his friends.
- Smug Snake: Ruby considers herself a badass huntress in training who can take on anything. Rubys a terrible shot, she only injures or kills Grimm when theyre young and weak or just not interested in fighting and needs help to defeat stronger Grimm. The one time Ruby does decide to fight an adult Grimm thats actually very interested in fighting back, Ruby loses so badly that shes sent running away in terror, and has to be saved by Weiss.
- There it is, Beacon Academy! So much potential! So much diversity to cleanse!
Weiss is the racist German Nazi of the group. She likes abusing her slaves, kidnapping and repurposing people, hunting faunus, and taking drugs. Shes constantly having her plans ruined by all the idiots she gets stuck with.
- Asshole Victim: Downplayed. Anytime Weiss is shown to be in the process of trying to do something illegal or needlessly cruel, something bad will happen to her. Unlike most examples, Weiss only gets mildly inconvenienced, but thats all it takes to completely ruin her mood.
- Bad Boss: Weiss openly abuses her slaves on a regular basis, doing everything from forcing them to sleep in freezers to whipping them for daring to ask for food. She even outright states at one point that her employees arent supposed to be happy.
- Boomerang Bigot: Weiss is a cruel, racist individual not just towards faunus, but different ethnicities of humans. Theres also a heavy implication Weiss isnt the ethnicity she claims to be and that the dust she carries around is used to hide this fact.
- Evil Is Petty: Amazingly, when Yang incapacitates Weiss slaves by feeding them drugged cookies to see what would happen, Weiss is just as pissed off that her employees are actually having a good time as she is her inability to get more Dust because of this.
- Fantastic Racism: Weiss hunts faunus for sport and doesnt believe they're people because they lack basic civil rights.
- Functional Addict: Justified. Although Weiss is heavily implied to be addicted to dust, it actually does have a medical purpose and thats to keep her voice from suddenly (and inexplicitly) gaining a German accent.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: All of Weiss appearances have her yelling at someone or being pissed off about something. Its most likely a result of Weiss having to constantly deal with Ruby, Blake, Yang, and Jaune, since shes always running into them and they're always making things difficult for her.
- Jerkass: She abuses her slaves, hunts faunus for sport, kidnaps and repurposes people to do what she wants or sells them into slave camps, burns anyone that defies her, yells at people constantly and is all around a very unpleasant person.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Weiss saves Rubys life because she doesnt know if letting your partner die will result in an automatic failure on your Beacon entrance exam.
- Smug Snake: Weiss considers herself an expert at manipulating people to get them to do what she wants. Weiss attempt to befriend Pyrrha is a good example of just how bad she really is, as its made very clear even before Jaune shows up and completely derails the plan that Weiss never had a chance at winning over Pyrrha.
- The Sociopath: Weiss expresses a complete lack of concern for anyones well-being other than herself, is shown to be extremely temperamental when she doesnt even slightly get her way, is rude, condescending, and manipulative even towards people she considers her equals, and often commits needlessly cruel actions simply because she can get away with it.
- Yeah...I'm gonna go somewhere less racist.
Blake is an anarchist. She enjoys reading and being by herself. So you better go the f*** away and just leave her alone already.
- Brutal Honesty: Along with calling out Weiss on her use of insistent terminologies, Blake has no problem being as blunt and straight forward as possible in her attempts to immediately get Ruby to leave her alone.
- Deadpan Snarker: Blake has a tendency to make witty comments in response to any stupid event that happens in her general vicinity, and considering the average intelligence level and general insanity of most of the other characters, this happens a lot.
- Driven to Suicide / Suicide as Comedy: In an attempt to get Ruby to leave her alone, Blake says shed rather shoot herself before reading Ruby's fanfics and would sooner hang herself with her grappling hook than be on the same team as Ruby. Ruby just ends up being more impressed by Blakes weapon.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-Universe. Blake tries to tell Yang that her racist jokes about faunas are not funny and when Yang interrupts her by telling another racist joke, Blake growls at Yang.
- Epic Fail / Gone Horribly Wrong: Blake tries to use her usual blunt sarcasm in an attempt to get Ruby to leave her alone. All Blake succeeds in doing is just making Ruby want to hang out with her even more.
- Jerkass: Blake mocks Weiss for her use of insistent terminologies, tells Ruby to leave her alone in the rudest way possible, kills an Ursa that was begging for its life, and when Jaune asks if hes her friend, Blake responds with a, Oh, f*** no.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Weiss is a an all around horrible person, Ruby is an obnoxious asshole, and Jaune is a wimpy weirdo, not to mention the fact that multiple people make jokes about murdering her race for fun. Say what you will, but you really can't blame her for being an ass.
Yang Xiao Long
- Come out, whoever you are...unless you're Ruby, then just stay there.
Yang is the confident and outgoing one of the group. She likes avoiding her younger sister Ruby, hanging out with her friends, avoiding Ruby, doing awesome things, avoiding Ruby, and telling horrible jokes. She also really likes avoiding Ruby.
- Alcohol-Induced Stupidity: When Yang gets high as a kite after eating drugged cookies, she makes out with and dry humps a lamppost. Its revealed in a later episode that Yang also swallowed the light bulb.
- Big Sister Bully: Downplayed. For what its worth, Yang does make some attempts to help Ruby socialize with real people and spends time with her younger sister whenever no one else will. That being said, Yang has a tendency to ditch Ruby at random, mock Ruby for being a fanfiction writer, call Ruby a furry just because her fanfiction is of The Lion King, and is a condescending asshole towards Rubys weapon fetish.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Yang seems like a fun, outgoing and supportive Cool Big Sis at first glance and to an extent, she probably is. But she has no problem abandoning Ruby whenever possible, inconveniencing other people with her insensitive jackass behavior, and is shown to at least be indifferent to the racism Faunus suffer at the hands of humans.
- Brutal Honesty: Ruby, Im just gonna say it. Scythes. Are not. People!
- Characterization Marches On: In episode one, Yang is more friendly, supportive, and protective of Ruby, giving her younger sister encouragement when Ozpin takes away her screen time and even food-poisons Jaune in retaliation. Every single episode after this portrays Yang as being constantly annoyed and creeped out by Rubys behavior and Yang goes out of her way to avoid Ruby as much as possible and only interacts with Ruby when she has no other choice. Hell, in episode five, Yang even goes so far as to just sit back and watch Ruby get beaten up by a particularly vicious Death Stalker with a smug smirk on her face while Ruby screams for Yang to help her.
- Jerkass: Yang food-poisons Jaune because Ozpin gave him Rubys screen time and despite putting up a friendly front, Yang tries to avoid her younger sister as much as possible, often attempting to dump Ruby off with anyone else, feeds Weiss slaves drugged cookies because she was bored and expresses no regret when this inconveniences Weiss (although Yang was high as a kite at the time), beats the crap out of and kills an Ursa just for slicing off a piece of her hair, tells some actually pretty racist jokes about faunus to Blake, and watches Ruby get the crap kicked out of her by a vicious Death Stalker with a smile on her face while Ruby is begging Yang to help her.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Yangs comment about Scythes not being people is really harsh in its delivery, but Yangs not wrong, especially in the context of trying to get Ruby to actually socialize with real people.
- Not So Different: Yang and Ruby have a lot more in common than Yang is probably willing to admit. They both disrespect Jaune, have a tendency to annoy or piss off other people with their insensitive behavior, have an extreme attachment to something that cant return their feelings (Ruby her Scythe, Yang her hair), have an apparent fetish for inanimate objects (although Yang was high as a kite when she made out with that lamppost), have taken drugs and usually stole them from someone else, have shown discriminatory behavior of some kind (Ruby towards Grimm, Yang towards faunus), and have committed homicide for relatively trivial reasons.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Downplayed. While Yang remembers some of the events from when she was high off drugged cookies, she doesnt remember how in the heck she managed to swallow a light bulb. It was most likely when she made out with that lamppost.
- ...And thats the first time I caught my parents having sex.
Jaune is the guy whos constantly having bad things happen to him. He likes hitting on Weiss and avoiding trouble. Thats all there really is to say.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Jaune is obviously attracted to Weiss and comes onto her in a very creepy manner.
- Butt-Monkey: Jaune has been food-poisoned, beaten up for vomiting in the ladies restroom by mistake, threatened by Ruby several times, shot by Nora using Rens guns, impaled in both of his arms, catapulted into the woods, molested by Pyrrha and a Death Stalker, and catapulted across a deep canyon via a broken bridge.
- Easily Forgiven: Jaune is willing to overlook Pyrrha molesting him and impaling both of his arms on two separate occasions, and even apologize for getting upset with Pyrrha because he realizes shes, in a very morally ambiguous way, trying to help him.
- Fantastic Racism: Jaune was willing to take up Weiss offer to go faunus hunting, although its a little ambiguous as to whether or not Jaune is actually racist or just trying to impress Weiss.
- Kick the Dog: Jaune was willing to go faunus hunting with Weiss in an attempt to get on her good side.
- Spanner in the Works: Jaune unexpectedly showing up and hitting on Weiss in in front of a jealous Pyrrha completely annihilated even the tiniest chance that Weiss could actually "befriend" Pyrrha for her own selfish purposes.
- Hey, wanna know something funny? We don't have class for another three hours! But, since you're awake, now we have time to do all the fun things, like making pancakes, or bludgeoning animals, or you can come with me to lace the history teacher's coffee with Dust again!
Nora is an AxCrazy psychopath thats obsessed with Ren. She likes hanging out with Ren, bludgeoning small animals, spiking peoples drinks, taking drugs and eating pancakes. She would do anything to stay best friends with Ren.
- Affably Evil: Noras the type of person whod blackmail a guy shes obsessed with into being her best friend and then contemplate committing mass murder in front the guy to keep him in line, while at the same time complementing him on how delicious his breakfast pancakes are.
- Ax-Crazy: Nora seriously considers murdering all of the other students so they wont come between her and Ren.
- Dirty Coward: Played With. Nora talks big, but she relies on dirty tactics to keep Ren in line and leaves Ren to fend for himself at the first sign of real danger. Nora did help fight and deliver the killing blow to the Death Stalker, but her mind was being influenced by cursed chess pieces at the time.
- Domestic Abuse: Nora bugs Ren when hes trying to sleep, she goes through his belongings and reads Rens diary without his permission and uses the information to Blackmail him into being teammates, contemplates murdering the other students just so theres no risk Ren will end up with someone else, and leaves Ren to fend for himself against the King Tajitu.
- Jerkass: Nora expresses no respect for Rens personal space and reads his diary to blackmail him into being teammates, enjoys animal torture and spikes peoples drinks for fun, she seriously considers committing mass murder for her own selfish reasons, and is fully willing to abandon Ren at the first sign of real danger to her well-being.
- The Sociopath: Nora is an Ax-Crazy Yandere that is fully willing to commit mass murder for her own ends, and spends her introductory scene discussing animal torture and drugging people for fun with the same attitude and tone of voice she uses to compliment Rens breakfast pancakes.
- Unexplained Recovery: Nora gets decapitated by Ren at the end of episode four. Nora is completely fine in the next episode and Ren doesnt even acknowledge it happened.
- Yandere: Nora would kill the entire first year applicants class if it meant being friends and teammates with Ren.
- (giggles evilly) Yes, this one will do nicely.
Pyrrha is the girl whos trying to get Jaune to be her boyfriend. She likes stalking Jaune, hitting on Jaune, trying to molest Jaune, and hanging out with her faunas friends. She is also the first character to treat the Faunas as equal people.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Pyrrha is definitely interested in Jaune and is regularly trying to molest him. Jaune is disturbed by Pyrrhas blatant and forward sexual advances, and is clearly not interested in Pyrrha.
- Fantastic Racism: Subverted. Pyrrha is not racist in the slightest towards faunus, viewing them as people and being close friends with several faunus, and tells Weiss to her face that she thinks its immoral to hunt faunus for sport.
- Double Standard: Pyrrha thinks its immoral to hunt faunas for sport, yet she sees nothing wrong with stalking and molesting Jaune.
- Love Makes You Crazy: During a conversation with Weiss on the morality of faunas hunting, Pyrrha is the ethical and sensitive one who hangs out with faunas despite the idea of humans treating faunas like equal people being a frowned upon concept. When Jaune offers to go faunas hunting with Weiss, Pyrrha suddenly finds faunas hunting a lot more interesting.
- Moral Myopia: Pyrrha calls out Weiss for practicing faunas hunting. When Jaune tries to convince Weiss to go faunas hunting with him, Pyrrha sees nothing wrong with Jaune doing it.
- Pet the Dog: Pyrrha questioning Weiss about whether or not its okay to practice faunus hunting, and revealing in the same conversation that shes actually friends with several faunus.
- Yandere: Pyrrha is borderline psychotic in her desire to have Jaune all to herself and has a tendency to make Jaunes life more difficult because of her possessive tendencies.
- My shirt is green.
Ren is the only normal character on the show. Hes likes keeping the insanity in the rest of the cast to a bare minimum. Hes also currently trying to murder Nora, none of his attempts have worked so far.
- Kick the Dog: Ren attacks the King Tajitu without any real provocation and kills it simply because he found the dual-headed snake annoying, even though its made clear that he couldve talked his way out of the whole fight to begin with
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Not Ren himself, but when the other characters start acting vastly different and making speeches about The Power of Friendship, Ren immediately picks up that something is seriously wrong.
- Only Sane Man: Ren is so far the only character to not show any genuinely stupid, racist, or asshole mannerisms. Ren tries to murder Nora because of how much of a threat she is, hes the only one to ask if they should actually help Ruby when shes getting beaten up by the Death Stalker, and Ren is the only person to notice and question the massive shift in characterization when they grab the cursed chess pieces.
- Pet the Dog: He doesnt do anything because of the weirdness of the whole situation, but Ren is the only one of the group who even considers helping Ruby when shes getting beaten up by a sadistic Death Stalker.
- The Dog Bites Back: After all of the other crap she put him through, Ren was almost okay with Nora not helping him fight the King Tajitu right up until Noras response to not helping him fight it was to boop Ren on the nose. Ren loses it and decapitates Nora, and in the next episode Ren is shown trying to shoot Nora.
The Staff of Beacon Academy
Ozpin is the headmaster of Beacon academy. He likes punishing people, putting his students in danger for his amusement, and wanton destruction. Ozpin is barely restrained from going full on Evil Overlord because he recognizes that hes supposed to be the series Big Good.
- Adaptational Nationality: This version shares his voice actor's London accent, though it doesn't really hurt the performance.
- Bad Boss: Ozpin punishes Ruby for failing to pass the cookie test despite not being enrolled in his school yet. Ozpin catapulted all of the first applicants into a dangerous forest where they all had a very real chance of dying because he was too lazy to come up with a proper training exercise. He even does this to Jaune, who Ozpin knows forged his transcripts and had no actual combat experience to speak of. An offhand comment from Glynda implies Ozpin underpays her.
- Big Good: Lampshaded at the end of episode two, where Ozpin complains during the ending credits that he cant punish the students who ruined his welcoming speech in the way he wants to because hes supposed to be the leader of the good guy. Subverted in the actual show as despite his claims above, Ozpin is fully willing to punish his students for trivial reasons before their even enrolled in his school and even puts them into life-threatening situations for his own amusement.
- Jerkass: Ozpin is constantly coming up with ways to amuse himself. Hes implied to be fully willing to break the law to make his ideas of entertaining himself come to life and doesnt care if people get hurt or killed as a result of these scenarios and even prefers it that way.
- Lack of Empathy: Ozpin really doesnt care about others. He only views other people as ways to entertain himself.
- It's All About Me: Ozpin only cares about how much he can entertain himself. He doesnt care who gets hurt or killed as a result of his actions. Also, when he complains about his welcoming speech being ruined, Ozpin is only concerned with how much it affected him and his reputation, rather than his more behaved students not getting the chance to enjoy his speech.
- The Sociopath: Ozpin is a more restrained example, presumably due to being Older and Wiser, but its clear from his Lack of Empathy, selfishness, and I can do whatever I want and not the face consequences attitude hes very much in this category.
- (sigh) "I dont get paid enough for this."
Glynda is Headmaster Ozpins right hand assistant. She likes getting paid to do her job. Glynda is constantly doing everything in her power to keep Ozpin in line shes not very good at it.
- Bad Boss: Downplayed. Glynda shows indifference to the people who work under her, not caring if they survive their assigned tasks and only concerned with what benefits they can give her. An offhand comment by Glynda herself implies shes a victim of this from Ozpin.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Ozpin has a tendency to ignore Glyndas observations, frequently dismissing her intelligent and well-grounded advice.
- Only in It for the Money: Implied. Glynda expressed indifference to whether or not the Beacon applicants class could survive the entrance exam and even outright states that she doesnt care because the students already paid their tuitions.
- Straight Man: Glynda questions Ruby about her illegal activities, she takes over the welcoming speech when Ozpins original one gets ruined, she makes sure Ozpin knew Jaune forged his transcripts (albeit a few seconds to late), and questions why Weiss didnt just put out the forest fire she accidentally started with her ice glyphs. While Glynda does have her moments, like expressing indifference to her students safety, she is certainly more level headed than Ozpin.