open/close all folders
- Played By: Bruce Willis
- Assassin Outclassin': People who try to kill him don't normally live to tell the tale.
- Back in the Saddle: After assassins try to kill him.
- Badass Grandpa: He manages to mop the floor with Cooper at one point in the first movie.
- Bald of Awesome: Bald and very badass.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: He and Sarah bond over romance novels. That likely qualifies him.
- The Hero: Leads the other characters.
- A Match Made in Stockholm: With Sarah.
- Retired Badass: Was one of the most dangerous men on earth before retirement.
- Played By: John Malkovich
- BFG: Carries one in a plush pig toy.
- Bond One-Liner: "Old man, my ass" after he blows up a younger assassin in the first movie.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's very good at what he does despite being highly paranoid and eccentric.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Was fed LSD for 11 years, it kinda screwed with his head
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Although a little more heroic than the typical examples, he's still an unstable nutcase gleefully played for laughs.
- Large Ham: Oh, yes, he can chew the scenery at times.
- Properly Paranoid: Due to his long exposure to LSD, its one of his healthier quirks.
- Sensei for Scoundrels: In Red 2, Marvin keeps passing Sara covert ops tips or handguns despite Frank's objections.
- The Smart Guy: Messing with his head with the LSD didn't stop him from being smart, it just made him weird.
- Played By: Morgan Freeman
- Dirty Old Man: At one point early in the movie, he gets a nurse to inspect a TV set just so he can look at her backside.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He allows himself to be shot by snipers so Frank and the others can make a getaway.
- Living on Borrowed Time: Joe has cancer.
- Played By: Helen Mirren
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: In the final act of the first movie.
- Played By: Karl Urban
- Anti-Villain: Cooper is a Type IV. He's an entirely honest agent just doing his job. He even comes to Frank's side once he realizes the truth.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Wears a suit while doing his business.
- Combat Pragmatist: Can fight with pretty much anything ranging from a coffee mug to a gun
- HeelFace Turn: After realizing how corrupt his boss is, he wastes no time in telling her to go fuck herself and shooting her dead
- I Have Your Wife: Takes Sarah captive at one point in the first movie.
- Punch-Clock Villain: He's a pretty nice guy, it just happens that his job routinely involves assassinating people.
- Played By: Richard Dreyfuss
- Big Bad: Of the first movie.
- Card-Carrying Villain: "You don't have people killed. I have people killed. I'm the bad guy, REMEMBER!?"
- Played By: Rebecca Pidgeon
- The Dragon: To Dunning in the first film.
Dr. Edward Bailey
- Played By: Anthony Hopkins
- Big Bad: Of the second movie.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: It turns out to be an act, though.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His wife and son were murdered.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He gets blown up by his own bomb at the end of the second movie.
- Obfuscating Insanity: It's all fake.
- Walking Spoiler: You can't really talk about the guy without spoiling a bunch of the film.
Han Cho Bai
- Played By: Byung-hun Lee
- Badass in a Nice Suit: He kicks major ass all while wearing a nice suit.
- Berserk Button: Stealing (and later blowing up) his plane is a sure way to piss him off.
- Combat Pragmatist: Instead of trying to confront Moses and kill him in a smooth and stealthy manner, he opts to take a van, strap a minigun to it and spray bullets at Frank's direction. It would have worked too but Marvin had a stick of dynamite in his pants.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Finds himself handcuffed to a freezer and surrounded by a bunch of heavily armed russian policemen. Then proceeds to kick their asses in a matter of seconds.
- Enemy Mine: Frank convinces Han to help him stop Bailey halfway through the second movie.
- From Camouflage to Criminal: Was a well-known South Korean military intelligence officer until he went for the criminal underworld.
- Gatling Good: Uses a minigun during a drive-by.
- Improbable Weapon User: Fashions a shiv out of a piece of paper using origami, then stabs a guy in the neck with it.
- Mr. Fanservice: For completely legitimate security purposes, he is stripped naked in his introductory scene.
- Professional Killer: Became one after leaving the Korean intelligence service.
- Serious Business: He really likes his plane.
- Surrounded by Idiots: His original team when tracking Frank is easily outfoxed. Perhaps that's why they're never seen or heard from again after Han's HeelFace Turn.
- Wicked Cultured: Has a taste for suits, wine and is so good at origami he can kill with it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Frank at the end of the sequel.
- Played By: Neal McDonough
- Affably Evil: The guy is awfully polite to everyone, even when he's seconds away from shooting them in the face.
- Played By: Mary-Louise Parker
- Angrish: After Frank tapes her mouth shut while trying to get her to safety.
- Bound and Gagged: See above.
- Played By: Brian Cox
- Foil: To Frank, whereas Frank is more akin to a retired super soldier that conducted mostly violent clandestine operations for the CIA, Ivan is more akin to a sneaky spymaster and is seemingly still active for the Russian Intelligence.
- Foot Focus: In Red 2, he waxes lyrical about Victoria's stocking-ed feet while she does some sniping.
- Friendly Enemy: Implied to have had a somewhat friendly rivalry with Frank during the Cold War, as the first thing the two do after meeting is share a drink and reminisce about their exploits.
- Non-Action Guy: Ivan isn't really into the more physical and violent aspects of espionage, instead, he relies on his vast network of contacts, connections and his presumably high rank in the SVR RF. Not that this makes him any less dangerous.
- Old Flame: Of Victoria's.
- Sensual Slavs: He is a soft spoken, suave russian gentleman.
- Played By: Julian McMahon
- President Evil: Well, he's Vice President, but he's running to become President of the United States. Ultimately subverted.
- Played By: Ernest Borgnine
- Everybody Calls Him "Barkeep": He's known as the "Records Keeper."
- Played By: James Remar
- Played By: Catherine Zeta-Jones
- Old Flame: Of Frank's.
- Played By: David Thewlis
- Flipping the Bird: Pulls this on Marvin and Sarah after they fail to catch him. Then he gets slammed by Frank and Katya's car.