open/close all folders
Promepolis Autonomous Republic
Voiced by: Kenichi Matsuyama (JP), Billy Kametz (EN)
- "The only thing burning should be my soul!"
- All-Loving Hero: First and foremost, his main goal is saving lives, be they normal humans or Burnish. He even refuses to let Kray of all people die in the end.
- Antiquated Linguistics: While on the job, he speaks in a theatrical manner reminiscent of a kabuki actor. Off the clock, he talks more normally (though he still tends to be Hot-Blooded).
- Badass Arm-Fold: Does this rather frequently.
- Calling Your Attacks: While piloting the "Lio de Galon", he has much glee with naming his, as well as Kray's, mecha attacks.
- The Chosen One: He and Lio are named directly by Dr. Dues as the only two that can stop Kray and save the world. Immediately subverted when pressed by Aina that they really aren't; they just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
- Firemen Are Hot: He also doubles as Mr. Fanservice.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: He battles it out with Lio when the latter snaps and goes on his Roaring Rampage of Revenge against Kray's forces, finally bringing him out of it by asking him about his code as a Burnish to not wantonly harm lives if it can be helped and if he's sticking to that cause.
- Going Commando: If this◊ image is to be believed.
- The Hero: The main character of the movie.
- Hot-Blooded: He's passionate and determined about saving people, and he often mentions his "burning soul".
- Idiot Hero: He is constantly called an idiot for rushing off to fight fires or saves people, and he even agrees that the others aren't wrong in that respect. That said, he is good at what he does.
- Innocently Insensitive:
- Galo expresses surprise upon learning that the Burnish eat regular food. Lio points out that the Burnish are still human despite their powers and asks what he thought they ate. Galo apologizes, realizing that he was unwittingly dehumanizing the Burnish.
- Almost immediately after, Galo argues that Lio and the Burnish could live peacefully if they just stopped burning things around them. Lio has to explain that not only is burning things a strong psychological impulse for the Burnish but that the reason they're on the run (and the reason Mad Burnish exists in the first place) is because the Foresight Foundation is hunting them down for experimentation.
- Insistent Terminology: Galo lives by putting out fires and rescuing people. He uses the "rescuing people" as an excuse to rescue Lio and the other Burnish because they are civilians too and are in need of rescuing.
- Magic Feather: Galo regards the Japanese Edo Period firemen uniform and their flag, "The Matoi Flag", his spiritual item, and can't perform his firefighting duties without it. To help him perform his duties inside a piece of technology, Lucia had to design his gear specifically in the shape of a Matoi fireman costume complete with The Matoi Flag as a weapon for him to be willing to combat Burnish flames with it. This peeve of his gave him a hard time piloting the Deus X Machina on account of it simply being "not his type of weapon." Lio has to indulge Galo by using his Burnish powers to envelop the plain-looking robot into the shape of Galo's Matoi Gear before Galo can get in the zone.
- Mr. Fanservice: He pulls off this trope given his rugged appearance and his shirtlessness.
- The Nicknamer: Galo named Kray's mech unit "Krazor-X", while Lio and his own unit—The Deus X Machina switches between "Galo de Lion" and "Lio de Galon" depending who takes lead control of their mech note ; simply because Galo can't remember the mechs' original names.
- Occidental Otaku: He models himself after firefighters of the "Far East" long after Japanese civilization has been reduced to ash.
- Red Is Heroic: His colors are primarily red and he's the hero of the movie.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ironically is the Red Oni in his dynamic with Lio despite his hair color and profession, being the Hot-Blooded and impulsive one whose actions are mostly dictated by emotions.
- Rookie Red Ranger: The newest member of the Burning Rescue, but also the most skilled and courageous of the team.
- Skewed Priorities: Can't get into the zone and fight as he finds Deus X Machina's appearance to be uncool until Lio wreathes the robot in his flames and changes its appearance.
- Spanner in the Works: Kray notes he planned for everything but Galo, who he tried to pull an Uriah Gambit on but the latter managed to survive and succeed much to his frustration.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: He wears nothing but gloves, a left sleeve, belted pants, and boots. Though he is seen wearing a shirt at some points, it later catches fire and is burned off; the only time he wore his full formal uniform without losing his shirt was the day of his badge ceremony.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has blue hair.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (JP), Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld (EN)
The "girl next door" of the task force. An expressive and sweet young girl with an easy-going personality. Contrary to her presentation, she handles her work in a professional manner.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a midriff-baring tube top.
- The Chick: Of Burning Rescue.
- Expy: According to Imaishi and Nakashima, she seems to share some similarities to Yoko from Gurren Lagann only with a different hairstyle.
- Firemen Are Hot: As an expy of Yoko, Aina fills this.
- Girl Next Door: Is supposed to be one.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Only Sane Man: After Dr. Deus gives Galo and Lio the "Deus Ex Machina", they just go along with it. Aina still has questions about how he built it and wants to know more, but is cut off by Deus. She also was the only one worried about following Deus' robotic AI, since it came out of nowhere and immediately wanted them to follow it.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: She wears a tiny pair of shorts.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears tiny shorts and one over-the-knee sock on her left leg.
Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama (JP), Steve Blum (EN)
The reliable captain of Burning Rescue. His appreciation to his crew does not fall short of the trust they give him in return.
- Badass Mustache: The leader of Burning Rescue and with a cool mustache to boot.
- The Leader: Of Burning Rescue.
- Papa Wolf: Ignis is very protective of his team, especially against Vulcan.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: While he has his grievances (mostly with Galo), Ignis is completely committed to not only his team but protecting the people first, and is willing to help anyone regardless of their disposition. He doesn't even pause in helping Galo despite his fugitive status during Lio's Roaring Rampage of Revenge, immediately working with him to save the city.
- Shout-Out: He bares a striking resemblance to Mr. Gar.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (JP), Billy Bob Thompson (EN)
The Lieutenant of the task force, making him one of Ignis's most trusted staff. Calm and handsome, he has the intellect to match his fine looks.
- Bishōnen: Though not on Lio Fotia's level, he's described as handsome.
- Expy: At some points, his collar is raised over his mouth. That, along with his general design and Japanese voice actor, is evocative of Houka Inumuta from Kill la Kill, another anime series created by Studio Trigger.
- The Smart Guy: The intelligent and level-headed one of the group.
Voiced by: Mayumi Shintani (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN)
A girl-genius and inventor of Burning Rescue with no interest aside from her mad inventions. The "MATOI" Galo wields is one of her creation as well.
- Bare Your Midriff: She only wears a bra and miniskirt under her Labcoat of Science and Medicine.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: Averted; she refuses to monetize her inventions.
- Expy: She's a somewhat saner version of Haruko Haruhara, to the point of even sharing the same actress in both languages.
- Goggles Do Nothing: She wears a pair of goggles on her that when she wears them over her eyes in a manner similar to Simon.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Varys. Lucia is often seen being carried around on Varys' shoulders.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: She's a genius inventor in a lab coat.
- Mad Scientist: Has shades of this and is even called one for refusing to monetize her creations.
- Multicolored Hair: She has blonde hair with pink streaks.
Voiced by: Tetsu Inada (JP), John Eric Bentley (EN)
The heavy machinery operator of Burning Rescue.
- The Big Guy: The main muscle of the Burning Rescue.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Implied. He has dark skin and red goatee, suggesting that he's a redhead.
- Genius Bruiser: He has the body of a bruiser but is very intelligent considering his role on the team.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Lucia. Varys is noted to often carry her around via his shoulders.
Voiced by: Kendo Kobayashi (JP), Michael Sinterniklaas (EN)
A mouse with a helmet that lives at the national firefighting service FDPP, and the mascot of Burning Rescue. It usually follows Lucia around.
The Pizzeria Owner
The owner of a pizzeria shop frequented by The Burning Rescue.
- Muggle Best Friend: A civilian who is supportive of the Burnish race, and doesn't hesitate in going out of his way to protect his pizza cook, who's a Burnish. When confronted by The Freeze Force, the owner defends his employee in stating his employee only wants to make good pizzas for all to enjoy.
The Burnish Race
An alliance of Burnish who challenges the law and order of society. The organization was founded by Gueira and Meis, with Lio being appointed as leader of their group.
- Blood Brothers: Revealed in their side story, Gueira, and Meis made a pact with Lio upon agreeing with Lio's philosophy, and purpose for their organization.
- The Cavalry: They may look like terrorists on appearance, but The Mad Burnish's true goal is to save civilians who just mutated into Burnish out of the city to safety.
- Heroic Host: Like all Burnish, the origins of their powers actually come from parasites inhabiting their bodies. They also fight for the liberation of their kind.
- Last Stand: When The Freeze Force breached into the Burnish hideout capturing every single Burnish, Gueira and Meis held the last line of defense and force sent Lio off to safety before they themselves were captured.
- Playing with Fire: It's kind of their thing.
- Power Armor: They conjure up theirs using fire. The armor's appearance also makes them look deceptively large.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Gueira is red, while Meis is blue.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Are capable of creating weapons and other objects by solidifying their fire.
- Terrible Trio: Lio, Gueira, and Meis form this, Lio being the serious leader while Gueira and Meis are his loyal and loud henchmen. And as per trope tradition, they aren't the true villains of the movie.
- Those Two Guys: Gueira and Meis are usually seen working together. Unlike every other major character in the movie, neither of them have a last name.
- Undying Loyalty: Gueira and Meis, to Lio Fotia.
Voiced by: Taichi Saotome (JP), Johnny Yong Bosch (EN)
- "We are Burnish! It is in our nature to burn."
- Big Bad: Leader of Mad Burnish, the enemy unit. Or at least, that's what most of the promotional material would have you believe.
- Bishōnen: He is slim with feminine features.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Is visibly the youngest of the Mad Burnish and the one appointed leader. Upon seeing his face, Galo remarks in shock that Lio's just a kid.
- The Chosen One: He and Galo are named directly by Dr. Deus Prometh as the only two that can stop Kray and save the world. Immediately subverted when pressed by Aina that they really aren't; they just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
- Cool Bike: His vehicle is a motorcycle.
- Dark Is Evil: Dresses in all black and is the leader of a terrorist group. It's later revealed that he's actually a case of Dark Is Not Evil.
- Deuteragonist: The second most important character in the movie after Galo.
- Distressed Dude: Surprisingly in need of saving a fair few times. Mainly in the latter half of the film, when Kray tricks him and captures him in order to use him for his plans.
- Hope Bringer: A young teenage boy who's got powerful flame powers and a strong will to save his Burnish brethren while determined to not hurt those who are not mutated regardless as to whether they came from the Foresight Foundation or not has proved to be a character strong enough for Gueira and Meis to induct Lio to the position as leader of their organization and give Lio their trust and Undying Loyalty.
- Human Cannonball: Gueira and Meis foresaw Lio's Hope Bringer characteristics to be the best potential to save all mankind right when they first met Lio. Comes the time The Freeze Force invades The Mad Burnish hideout and capturing every single Burnish, Gueira and Meis held the last defense, and created a cannon to force blast Lio off to safety.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Despite his fragile build and being significantly shorter than the rest of the male cast he's one of the most powerful Burnish, being able to take down an entire army on his own.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Despite being the one with fire powers, Lio is the Blue Oni in his dynamic with Galo, being the calmer and more calculating of the two, befitting a leader. He does have his own hot-blooded moments though.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Powerless in preventing all of his brethren, down to his two closest teammates getting captured and drained, Lio goes berserk in agony after he manages to break out of the Freeze Force's ice and starts tearing apart the city gunning for Kray. Galo is eventually able to bring him out of it.
- Scaled Up: He takes the form of a giant dragon made of fire during his Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Vocal Dissonance: His voice in the trailer definitely contrasts his feminine appearance.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has light greenish hair.
Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama (JP), Matthew Mercer (EN)
The aggressive powerhouse of Mad Burnish with a tattoo that reads "Raijin (Thunder Blade)" on his collarbone. He refers to Lio as "Boss" and supports him with unquestioning loyalty.
- Expy: According to his voice actor, Gueira is "the typical 'Hiyama' character in which Trigger regularly cast him as"; therefore, expect Gueira to have traits of Sanageyama, Viral, and perhaps a little bit of his actor's own flair in him. Gueira's sense in style note certainly echoes Hiyama for sure; intentional or not.
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (JP), Yuri Lowenthal (EN)
Meis is the brain of Mad Burnish, known for his speed and cunning. He serves Lio alongside Gueira and has a tattoo that reads "Fūjin (Wind Blade)" on his left arm.
Voiced by: Mao Ichimichi (JP), Erica Lindbeck (EN)A young office lady who recently mutated into a Burnish a couple of days prior to the film's setting. She was rescued by Gueira and Meis before she was confined by The Burning Rescue.
- Audience Surrogate: One who represents the POV of The Burnish. Being a mere regular human being who suddenly mutated into an unknown, fearful race, Thyma was afraid, and in denial that she is now labeled as a Burnish, and being persecuted by The Burning Rescue staff who just rescued her from her burning office.
- No Body Left Behind: When she dies, her entire body turns to ash and drifts away.
- Sacrificial Lamb: A few scenes into the film, Thyma is seen severally abused by the experiments the Foresight Foundation performed on her after being captured, and eventually died in the arms of Lio; who jail-broke her out of the foundation, but failed to revive her via Burnish CPR.
Old Geezer Burnish
Voiced by: Mitsuo Iwata (JP), Steve Kramer (EN)An elderly aged Burnish confined by the government who was saved by the Mad Burnish.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Betrays his own kind just to save his own hide. Vulcan repays this by freezing him, and he ends up being the first spun around to fuel the engine.
- Trrrilling Rrrs: Rolled when his flames got drained. Crowned by Tetsu Inada for spreading the greatest Mind Virus of their entire recording.
- Turncoat: The old geezer decided to disclose the location of his brethren's hideout to The Freeze Force in exchange for his own life; no matter how short of a lifespan he has left. Since he believed all of his Burnish race cannot escape the wrath of abuse from The Foresight Foundation, he could care less of others.Unfortunately, The Freeze Force didn't spare him.
A young man who works at the pizzeria frequented by The Burning Rescue. He is outed as a Burnish when Colonel Vulcan comes to arrest him. He is later experimented on by Foresight Foundation.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: After being captured by Vulcan, he is strapped to a Burnish engine for the Foresight Foundation wormhole experiment. After being used, his fingertips are seen turning into ash. Since this was only the beginning of using him as a guinea pig and he is never seen again, it can be assumed he died from burn out.
- I Ate WHAT?!: After his reveal and capture as a Burnish, other customers at the pizzeria show extreme disgust at eating something made by a Burnish.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: He is only seen using his Burnish powers to defend himself. Before that, he is perfectly content to work at the pizzeria and do his best work.
The Foresight Foundation & Freeze Force
Voiced by: Masato Sakai (JP), Crispin Freeman (EN)
The executive director of Foresight Foundation and provisional administrator of the Promepolis Autonomous Republic. Galo has a great amount of respect for him and aspires to become like him one day.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost his original left arm saving Galo in a fire that destroyed his home when he was younger. It's later revealed that he actually caused said fire with the awakening of his Burnish powers. The awakening also caused his arm to explode.
- Berserk Button: Galo's whole existence is one for him as Galo constantly pushes his buttons just being Galo.
- Big Bad: His plans to eradicate the Burnish set up the film's entire conflict.
- Boomerang Bigot: As much as he wants to destroy the Burnish population, it turns out he's secretly a Burnish all along.
- Broken Pedestal: Needless to say, Galo isn't all too happy when Kray reveals just what he's been doing to the Burnish.
- Control Freak: Part of the reason why Kray hates Galo is because his continued survival in Burning Rescue is the one thing in Kray's life that doesn't go according to plan. He's also willing to ignore, shout down, or murder anyone who dares to say that his plan is a bad one.
- Dirty Coward: The reason why he doesn't try to use his technology to fix the Earth's core is that his most effective solution requires the user to be there. And considering how he's trying to be the sole savior of humanity, he doesn't want to risk his own life for that to happen.
- Evil All Along: The early parts of the film build him up as the symbol of the people, specifically Galo, but he shows his true colors not too far in and reveals how deranged he actually is in the process.
- Evil Is Petty: Beats on Galo and berates him for having the audacity not only to survive but treat him, his hero, familiarly with the nickname "Gov Kray".
- Evil Overlooker: Kray overlooks everyone else in the key visual of the film, making it a case of Spoiler Cover since he's Evil All Along.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: His neatly combed-back hair goes completely wild in the climax, coinciding with him completely ditching his calm facade and going full Large Ham. His disheveled hair also resembles a wild flame, which is appropriate considering it's revealed that he's secretly been a Burnish all along.
- Eyes Always Shut: Is never seen with his eyes open until he reveals his true colors.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Not only is his kind and noble persona an act to hide how he's an ego-driven madman with a messiah complex, but his saving of Galo from a fire is shown to be false. He was actually the cause of the fire and merely took advantage of the fact he hugged on reflex a fleeing and crying Galo to score points with the public.
- Glass Cannon: His flames are far stronger than Lio's but one punch to the face from Galo is enough to knock Kray down.
- Heroic Build: Subverted; he's very well-built and is initially presented as humanity's savior, but it turns out he isn't heroic at all.
- Hidden Disdain Reveal: Kray pretends to play the role of a mentor to Galo while his facade is up. The moment he drops it, he reveals just how much Galo's entire existence and continued survival infuriates him.
- Ironic Name: "Foresight" usually means having the ability to predict future events and what is needed for those events. While Kray does predict some future events, specifically the destruction of the planet, his vision is limited in that he only sees the immediate future and not planning for the long-term, like actually trying to save the planet.
- It's All About Me: Kray is utterly obsessed with being seen as humanity's savior, to the point that he's willing to doom the Earth just so that his image of being a savior will be fulfilled.
- Large Ham: Originally, he comes off as a Soft-Spoken Sadist contrasting the loud and bombastic cast, but once he's forced to take the spotlight, he sheds any of his mannerisms and comes off absolutely psychotic able to compete with the loudest of them.
- Light Is Not Good: He is a blonde man in a significant amount of white and other bright colors, which help further his facade as a benevolent leader. Underneath it all, he's monstrous. He turns into a case of Dark Is Evil with a side of Purple Is Powerful once he goes full One-Winged Angel.
- Mask of Sanity: Repressing his Promare's desire to burn through him for decades has not done his mental health any favours. He's noticeably calmer after his humanity is restored.
- Not So Above It All: He calls out Galo's habit of Calling Your Attacks while fighting him in their respective mecha suits. Kray then immediately after calls out his mech suit attacks.
- Not-So-Well-Intentioned Extremist: His plan to enslave the Burnish for fuel and sacrifice most of humanity is ultimately just to serve his ego. Lampshaded by several characters in the film who note the resources put towards migration would be better served to stabilize the Earth's core.
- One-Winged Angel: When he reveals he's a Burnish, and starts using his own abilities his appearance changes and starts looking more inhuman.
- Power Incontinence: The awakening of his Burnish powers caused his arm to explode.
- Purple Is Powerful: When he reveals himself as a Burnish, he produces dark purple flames.
- The Sociopath: Completely self-centered, superficially charming, and prone to moments of needless cruelty. Yep, he checks all the boxes.
- Super-Powered Robot Meter Maids: Krazor X wasn't built to fight, but to terraform planets. That doesn't make it any less dangerous an opponent.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Understandably, he hasn't had many opportunities to hone his Burnish powers (the most complex construct he can make is a pair of functional wings), but the strength of his flames are of such magnitude that he easily defeats the more experienced and trained Lio.
- Uriah Gambit: The reason he had Galo join Burning Rescue? He was hoping that somehow it would lead to him dying on the job.
- Vocal Dissonance: His voice in Japanese is very high-pitched and gentle sounding despite his large intimidating build, although he drops the latter aspect to sound more unhinged as he exposes more of his true personality.
- Walking Spoiler: It's safe to say that there's more to Kray than is seen at first.
- Why Won't You Die?: To Galo, who continues to survive despite Kray's attempts to have him killed.
Voiced by: Ryoka Yuzuki (JP), Melissa Fahn (EN)
The secretary of Kray Foresight, the administrator of the Independent Republic of Promepolis and chief director of The Foresight Foundation. She is always with Kray and carries out his orders swiftly.
- Non-Action Guy: She is never seen wielding any sort of weapon, though she is not a Harmless Villain and follows Kray's order directly.
- Number Two: Biar is constantly by Kray's side and always follows his orders. When Kray leaves to fight Galo and Lio, he leaves her in charge.
- Undying Loyalty: She seems to be the only one fully vested in Kray's plans.
Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu (JP), Erica Lindbeck (EN)
A young researcher at Foresight Research Institute and Aina's older sister. She's been devoted to the advancement of a particular project at The Foresight Foundation.
- Big Brother Instinct: Heris is willing to work hard to give her kid sister, Aina, a better life to live. The primary reason she sticks with Kray's plan in spite of her guilt is because he promised that Aina will be one of the survivors on Kray's ark.
- Break Her Heart to Save Her: Tries to pull this on Aina when she tells her that she witnessed Galo attacking Kray in order to try and get her to stop prying into the Foresight Foundation's plans.
- Good Is Not Soft: When Kray makes it clear to Heris that Aina is expendable in his plans, Heris destroys the ship's Prometech engine by feeding it one hard of a Phlebotinum Overload (though still taking the risk of draining Burnish souls/flames) and almost single-handedly derailing all of his plans.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine: She's a scientist in a lab coat.
- Meganekko: She wears glasses.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: Heris was employed by The Foresight Foundation for her research achievement of successfully extracting the flames out of The Burnish for energy source usage. She's guilt-ridden due to the flawed process gradually kiling The Burnish, but is willing to stay on the job to secure life benefits for her sister, Aina. Heris' decision as to whether to continue to serve under the foundation or not is one of the greatest key points in saving The Burnish race.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Undergoes a silent case of this when Aina reveals that Kray is not only a murderer, but that he's been hiding the fact that his master plan will expedite the destruction of the entire planet.
- Token Good Teammate: Heris stands as the sole morally-sound individual of the Foresight Foundation's inner circle. When push comes to shove, however, Heris ultimately chooses family and the Earth over Kray's vision of the future.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: In contrast to Aina's open, modern girl characteristic, Heris is a modest, nurturing, hard-working, and sacrificial young lady.
- Youthful Freckles: Has faint freckles across her face that helps complete her modest appearance.
Voiced by: Taiten Kusunoki (JP), Neil Kaplan (EN)
The colonel of Freeze Force, a heavily armed police unit (military police) which specializes in Burnish related crimes under The Foresight Foundation. Vulcan does not think well of Galo and the rest of Burning Rescue overstepping their authority.
- Ax-Crazy: For whatever reason, Vulcan is constantly trying to instigate fights with other firefighting units, especially Ignis.
- Batman Gambit: He picked up on the fact that Burning Rescue captured Lio a bit too easy since he and his cohorts elected to stick around the Kray Pharmaceutical Building instead of fleeing the scene once they'd torched the place. To take advantage of this suspicion, he allowed Lio and the imprisoned Burnish to escape with a tracker implanted in one of them so he could follow the signal to the secret Burnish settlement where the remainder of the mutants were hiding.
- The Dragon: Vulcan acts as Kray's right-hand man, with Kray calling Vulcan to take care of things from rounding up the Burnish to capturing Heris after she tries escaping.
- The Heavy: He is the main opponent the protagonists fight, other than Kray.
- Mobile-Suit Human: Vulcan is revealed to be a man of munchkin height controlling a Mini-Mecha in the shape of a tall, and beefy man by the finale act of the film.
- The Rival: Given his position, he is one to Ignis.
- Villainous Valor: He's as Hot-Blooded as any of the heroes and he's perfectly willing to run up the body of a massive Burnish dragon all by himself if it means accomplishing his mission. Adding to that, neither he nor any other member of the Freeze Force objected to Foresight leaving them behind so they could ensure that his ark launched safely.
Voiced by: Arata Furuta (JP), Mike Pollock (EN)
A mysterious scientist who has been researching Burnish for years on behalf of a United Nations research team. He holds an important key to the story.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: His virtual self spent years leading up to the present day perfecting the flawed Prometech Engine he and Kray developed largely to spite his former fellow scientist since he had no way of using it himself.
- But Now I Must Go: After supplying Galo and Lio with the "Deus ex Machina", he (that is his robot AI remains) stay in his laboratory as it collapses around him. Aina is frustrated he didn't answer any of her questions.
- Crazy-Prepared: Dr. Deus had the following prepared:
- An incredibly large mecha suit designed to stop Kray's ambitions, fittingly called the "Deus ex Machina",
- A robotic AI backup of his mind to explain the backstory and origins about the Promare
- Recorded footage of his murder by Kray to be released in case of his death.
- Deus ex Machina: Deus himself is literally a Deus ex Machina. Until Galo, Lio and Aina accidentally discovered his old laboratory, no one knew he existed. Though later footage showing Kray killing Deus implies he was a well-known scientist, simply forgotten about. He also supplied Galo and Lio the means to stop Kray, with a mech called the "Deus ex Machina".
- Posthumous Character: He was killed by Kray in the 30-year gap after the beginning of the movie. All of his appearances are either recorded video or through his mechanical AI.
- Too Dumb to Live: Despite being Crazy-Prepared (see above), Deus also dug his own grave. He knew about Kray's ambitions and god complex, didn't tell anyone else about their planning to help the world, and confirmed to Kray no one else knew. This ended with Kray murdering him to hide Deus's involvement. Lastly, he (somehow) built his laboratory under a solid ice lake that could only be revealed if melted, effectively keeping it completely hidden until it was accidentally discovered.
- Walking Spoiler: His fate and research reveal a lot about the setting and true villain.
Over 30 years ago, an interdimensional rift opened between Earth and another universe. The Promare, sentient flame-based entities, traveled through the rift and took residence in Earth's core. This resulted in humans all over the world syncing with the Promare and mutating into being called the Burnish, unaware of the origin of their powers.
- Non-Malicious Monster: Despite being organisms made of fire and having a strong desire to burn things around them, they're legitimately non-hostile.
- Playing with Fire: They are fire.
- Puppeteer Parasite: The Promare are living flame and their nature is to burn. The Burnish also have a desire to burn, which they get unknowingly from the Promare.
- Starfish Aliens: They're creatures from another dimension made of fire.
- Walking Spoiler: Being the origin of the Burnish, they're naturally this.