The Protagonist (female: Mizuki Amaya/male: Shuusei Amaya)
The silent protagonist of the story. They have the power of Wild Card and an affinity with the Fool Arcana, with their starting Persona being Hermod.
- The Ace: As per usual when it comes to Persona protagonists. Although...
- Broken Ace: They start out as this in the beginning of the story.
- Action Girl: Mizuki.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Eater
- Big Brother Mentor/Cool Big Sis: To the younger members of the team.
- Broken Bird: Due to the deaths of their parents.
- Character Development: Big time. Part of the story is about the protagonist growing from a Broken Bird into an All-Loving Hero with The Power of Friendship.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Deadpan Snarker
- Gender Flip: Averted, as they're two separate people with rather different personalities. The only thing they share is their role in the story.
- The Hero/The Heroine
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Girl/Nice Guy
- Orphan's Ordeal
- Parental Abandonment: Their parents died before the start of the story, which is what prompts them to move to Kanazami in the first place.
- Resigned to the Call
- Schrödinger's Player Character: Whoever is chosen, the other doesn't appear (or exist, for that matter).
- Second Year Protagonist
- The Southpaw
- Stellar Name: Shuusei's name contains the kanji for "star", and Mizuki's name "moon". Mizuki's name also contains the kanji for "mirror", the other motif in the story. As a bonus, their last name contains the kanji for "heavens".
- Stepford Smiler/Stepford Snarker: Mizuki and Shuusei have traits of both, with the former more emphasized for Mizuki, and the latter for Shuusei. Most of the crew don't buy it, and as everybody becomes True Companions, they start opening up to them.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Superpower Lottery: Has the power of the Wild Card.
- Weapon of Choice: While the obvious choice is an option, they can technically wield any kind of weapon that's available. Notable during the second visit to the Mirror World, when Sakuya offers to conjure up a weapon so that they can defend themself, and the available options are the different type of weapons future party members can use... except for guns.
Cheery, popular classmate of the protagonist. Part of the Kendo Club, she fights with one-handed swords and is represented by the Strength Arcana. Her initial Persona is Sunna, possessing a balanced array of skills with a focus on agi and buffing skills, along with some physical moves.
later evolves into Brynhildr
- Academic Athlete
- The Ace
- Action Girl
- Bishie Sparkle: Yes. It seems like she can even control it at will.
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Cute Bruiser
- Even the Girls Want Her: Described as very charming by students of all genders.
- Fiery Redhead: Although more plucky than abrasive.
- Hair Decorations: A pink hairclip.
- Kendo Team Captain: Played with, as she's just a club member.
- Modesty Shorts: Considering how active she is, it's a logical choice.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Passionate Sportsgirl
- Pink Means Feminine: Subverted. Chikane wears pink shoes, a pink hair clip, and a pink hoodie under her blazer, but she's a peppy tomboy. She explains this as disliking pink as a kid, which is why she's making up for it as a teenager.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Yuuto.
- Playing with Fire: Learns agi skills.
- Short Tank
- Tomboyish Ponytail
A standoffish, quiet classmate of the protagonist with an intimidating appearance. Chikane's childhood best friend, he fights with a quarterstaff and his initial Persona is Máni of the Magician(???) Arcana, specializing in healing and bufu spells.
later evolves into vidarr
- An Ice Person
- Emotional Bruiser with a Soft Center
- Combat Medic
- Face of a Thug: Big time.
- Genius Bruiser
- Gentle Giant
- Glass Cannon
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Having No Social Skills combined with his appearance leaves him with a rather small social circle.
- Only Sane Man
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Chikane.
- Real Men Wear Pink
- The Red Mage: The main ice magic user of the group, as well as the main healer.
- Shrinking Violet: In contrast to his appearance, he's actually very shy.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: With the ice being mostly unintentional.
Introduced as a mysterious voice that helped the protagonist get to safety when they first got stuck in a strange, parallel version of Kanazami where the buildings are warped and there are Shadows instead of people, they are soon revealed to be the "guardian" of this strange mirror world. Initially serving as Mission Control, they relinquish that position when Takeru awakens to his Persona, joining the group as a combatant soon after. While lacking a Persona, they represent the Lovers Arcana, and have the ability to use almighty spells along with their weapon, two pistols that can also shoot Shadow-supressing bullets(?).
Before they physically materialize as a human to make the protagonist and their friends more comfortable (simply being a voice from the heavens until that moment), they ask them if they have a preference to what gender they should take form as. Apart from choosing an obviously male or female form, the protagonist may also say that they don't care, in which Sakuya decides to take form as an androgynous teenager. This is merely an aesthetic choice, as it does not affect the storyline in anyway, although their androgynous form is (probably) canon.
- Adventure Rebuff
- A Form You Are Comfortable With
- Ambiguous Gender: If the protagonist says that they doesn't care what Sakuya takes form as. Whether that form has No Biological Sex or is just ambiguous is anybody's guess, as Sakuya just thinks it's amusing people care so much.
- Bishōnen: As a guy, though their androgynous form can give him a run for his money.
- Boyish Short Hair: In all forms.
- Chaste Hero
- The Comically Serious
- Compulsory School Age
- Deadpan Snarker: Fond of making dry quips about, well, everything.
- First-Name Basis: Calls everybody by their first names with no honorifics.
- Gender-Blender Name
- The Gunslinger
- Ice Queen
- Mission Control: Until Takeru fills in for them.
- Mysterious Waif: Especially when the mirror world becomes corrupted and starts rejecting them.
- Only One Name
- Otherworldly and Sexually Ambiguous: Considering Sakuya isn't even human in the first place.
- Pronoun Trouble: In-universe when it comes to the Ambiguous Gender option, but not Sakuya (who doesn't care) personally. The crew mostly just stick to "they" within the group, though fellow schoolmates go with "him", as Sakuya wears the male school uniform to stave off suspicion.
- Sensor Character: Being the guardian of the mirror world, they can tell when somebody who is not supposed to be there enters.
- The Stoic
- Sweet Polly Oliver: In their Ambiguous Gender form, as they wear a male uniform when they transfer into the protagonist's school.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
A delicate-looking first year who is quiet yet surprisingly blunt and sharp tongued. She fights with naginatas and her initial Persona is Idunn of the Priestess(???) Arcana, specializing in garu and debuffing spells.
later evolves into frejya
- Blow You Away
- Brutal Honesty
- Extreme Doormat: Subverted; she does stay quiet most of the time, but as soon as she wants to express her opinion, she will.
- Fallen Princess
- Hair Decorations: Wears a purple hairband.
- Lady of War: A younger version.
- Little Miss Badass
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Magic Knight
- Naginatas Are Feminine
- Perpetual Frowner
- Pintsized Powerhouse
- Proper Tights with a Skirt
- The Red Mage
- Silk Hiding Steel
- Shorter Means Smarter
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
A young man who can always be seen taking many different part-time jobs around town. Represented by the Emperor Arcana, he wields dual tonfas and his initial Persona is Siegfried, focusing on zio attacks with minor physical and healing moves.
later evolves into thor
- Big Brother Instinct
- Parental Abandonment
- Nice Guy
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Team Mom
Polite but pessimistic and sullen, Takeru is Hiroto's little brother who is often hospitalized. He is represented by the Fortune Arcana, his initial Persona being Forseti. Rather than being out on the front lines, he takes over Sakuya's job of Mission Control, assisting the team by analyzing enemies and providing support.
later evolves into heimdall
A pretty and somewhat flighty third year at Toudai High School, she's been aware of the mirror world long before the protagonist first set foot in it, and is revealed to be the person who has been entering it without getting caught by Sakuya.... well, one of them, at least. Fighting with her fists (and sometimes her feet), her initial Persona is Hel of the Empress Arcana, specializing in physical and garu moves, as well as recovery spells, with a focus on status effects.
later evolves into nanna
- Adopt the Dog
- Aloof Ally
- Class Representative
- Default to Good
- Heroic Neutral
- I Work Alone: Downplayed; the only reason she doesn't join the team when they gave her the offer was because she had her own investigation that she was working on at the time, plus her reservations about Sakuya. Even then, she and the crew were on friendly and she would give advice when necessary.
- Neutral No Longer
- Sixth Ranger
- Wild Card
With an everlasting smile on his face, Fuyuki is a first year student who is the same age as the second years, due to missing a school year because of a mysterious incident. He wields a knife in battle, and his Persona is Tyr of the Moon Arcana, his arsenal including hama and mudo spells, as well as moves that deal status effects.
later evolves into freyr