Arranged by company and alphabetically.
Hiyama KiyoteruPrefers to be around children, because he finds them less threatening than adults. He cant talk to people his own age about anything but business, or else it gets really awkward. Women baffle him.
- Cannot Talk to Women: Or anyone, to an extent, but women are especially confusing.
- Friend to All Children
- No Social Skills
- Not Good with People: Except children
Kaai YukiHer mother always wanted her to be a music star, but her father is worried about it corrupting her. Now that shes gotten famous, her parents fight almost constantly. She blames herself for this.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Shes a very bad liar, and often innocently blurts out things meant to be kept secret.
- Childrenare Innocent
- Extreme Doormat: She allows her mother to bend her to her will.
- Guilt Complex: Due to her parents constant fighting.
- Stage Mom: Her mother.
Nekomura IrohaSpends far too much money on her Hello Kitty collection, which she keeps organized and protected to OCD extremes. No one is allowed to touch her merchandise, and they have to wash their hands before entering her room. Germophobic.
- Ascended Fangirl: Sort of; she got her start by posting Hello Kitty fansongs on the internet.
- Neat Freak
- Super OCD
- Terrified of Germs
SF-A2 MikiShe used to be a very good surfer, but a horrible shark attack cost her most of her limbs, and left her with horrible PTSD. She can no longer stand to go near the water at all, and has a panic attack at the thought of stepping foot on a beach.
- An Arm and a Leg: She lost both arms and legs in the accident, actually. She also has severe scarring on her torso.
- Artificial Limbs
- Plucky Girl: According to some.
- The Pollyanna: Despite losing so much, she tries her best to remain cheerful.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Inverted, since most of the songs she sings/appears in are cheerful and upbeat.
- Think Happy Thoughts: Remaining cheerful is sometimes difficult for her, but she tries her best.
- Valley Girl: Not completely, but she sometimes slips into the like, totally vernacular.
Yuzuki YukariSocial anxiety. Has a hard time being in the spotlight, and was forced into stardom by a controlling mother living vicariously through her.
VY1She, along with VY 2, was in a horrible car accident that broke her spine and left her paralyzed for life. She prefers to stay indoors now, not wanting her disability to hurt the music star image she tries to put forth.
VY2He, along with VY 1, was in a horrible car accident that left him blind. He stays indoors with his sister, not necessarily because he wants to, but because navigating the world is scary, and VY 1 has convinced him that this is better. It helps that he knows their house layout and can get around easier.
MewIn her teen years, she was a hard-partier (much like Lily). Shes since grown out of it, even though some of her old friends havent. She likes spending quiet nights alone with her cat, but temptation will still call occasionally. She worries about Lily and tries to help her, but Lily ignores her.
Hatsune MikuThe stress from being the Number 1 Diva has caused an eating disorder in order to maintain the perfect weight, and she stresses over being perfect.
- Bilingual Bonus: She worked hard to learn English, and stresses over her accent.
- Breakout Character: She was the first singer to get popular, and is easily the most famous one.
- Girlish Pigtails: All the way to the ground!
- Hollywood Thin: Shes 94 lbs, and half of that is probably her hair. Deconstructed as she has an eating disorder.
- Mascot: Crypton uses her a lot to promote themselves.
- The Perfectionist: To destructive extremes.
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes all the way down to her ankles for crying out loud!
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: She skyrocketed to popularity while those who came before her stayed behind to varying degrees. Leon, Lola, and Miriam were pretty much ignored, Haku was fired, and Meiko and Kaito gained only a little attention.
- Stepford Smiler: Even while crying, she tries to keep a smile.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Negi/Leek, according to her fandom. She goes along with it to an extent for the sake of her image.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Rank A; can qualify for Rank S (with Tsundere added) depending on depictions.
Kagamine LenHes transgender, and the strain of keeping this a secret while being in the spotlight has caused him to become rather depressed.
- Big Secret: The fact that he is transgender is hidden.
- Brother-Sister Team: He is Rins partner in singing, although they do occasionally sing with others or solo.
- Dragged into Drag: Due to his career, hes had to crossdress more times than he would like.
- In addition, Ruko and Ritsu have attempted this with him, although they fail to convince him.
- Fragile Flower: As much as he wishes otherwise, hes very easy to upset.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Rin Or so everyone thinks.
- Odd Friendship: Considering how much hes trying to hide his big secret, not to mention their attempts to get him to open up about his gender, its a wonder he even speaks to Ruko and Ritsu. Especially Ritsu, as his easily-upset nature and Ritsus abrasive personality cause a lot of friction.
Kagamine RinHer constant worry for Len and subconscious guilt for putting Len into the spotlight in the first place has given her pretty bad anxiety.
- Berserk Button: Rins a sweet girl Unless you do something to hurt her brother.
- Brother-Sister Team: She is Lens partner in singing, although they do occasionally sing with others or solo.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Len Or so everyone thinks.
- You Leave Him Alone!: To anyone who dares try to bother Len.
KaitoKaito believes that he can fix Meiko, and constantly braves her abuse in the hopes that he can get back the girl he fell in love with. Society tends to portray alcoholism as this simple thing that can be overcome with the power of love, so hes depressed when he fails at curing her.
- Broken Bird: Thanks to Meiko, he's pretty much this.
- Destructive Romance: With Meiko
- I Can Change my Beloved: He wants desperately to believe this.
- Love Martyr
- Sorry I Fell on Your Fist: Whew boy...
- The Woobie
Megurine LukaShes trying to balance her career with taking care of her younger sibling, Toeto. Their parents are dead and she doesnt want her little sister to grow up with no mentor, since she feels that could be detrimental, not to mention the poor girl's anxiety issues and such when Luka isn't around. Has a bad habit of losing the girl.
- Bare Your Midriff: In the outfit Crypton gave her, at least.
- Bilingual Bonus: Speaks Japanese and English.
- Cool Big Sis: To Toeto.
- Fashionable Asymmetry
- Ms. Fanservice: Some see her as this, although she tries not to encourage it.
- Promotion to Parent: Shes essentially become Toetos mom after their parents died.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: A sort of variation—her stockings do go past her skirt, but you can see it anyway because there is a slit in it.
MeikoShe is a destructive, abusive alcoholic. She and Kaito began dating when she was still sober, but now her personality has completely changed. She began drinking to cope with her fear that she will someday be as forgotten as the English vocaloids, and it spiraled out of control from there.
- The Alcoholic
- All Abusers are Male: An aversion of this trope. It also averts Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male, taking the abuse seriously.
- Bare Your Midriff: In the outfit given to her by Crypton.
- Destructive Romance: With Kaito
- Domestic Abuse
- Drowning My Sorrows: At the start, at least. Now, its more of a dependence on the alcohol itself.
- Freudian Excuse: It's mentioned that her father used to treat her the same way she treats Kaito.
- I Am Not My Father: Tries to insist on this. Her conscience refuses to listen.You're just like him, no better than him. Like father, like daughter.
- I'll Tell You When I've Had Enough!
- Hidden Depths: It's implied that, on some level, she knows how badly she's treating Kaito and desperately wants to stop.
- Manipulative Bastard: Shes not above using tears against her boyfriend.
- Ms. Fanservice: Some consider her this, although she seems to think that she's forgotten already.
CULHas a very flippant attitude and is an attention seeker, doing daredevil things constantly. Is often abrasive towards people, leading her to have very few friends. Is a pathological liar.
- Badass Longcoat
- Fiery Redhead: Fanon often portrayed her that way.
- Of Corsets Sexy
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Lily, to an extent.
- Zettai Ryouiki
GalacoShes always been daddys little girl and is a spoiled princess sometimes. She gets quite a temper when things dont go her way. She didnt get to be a Vocaloid because she could sing, her daddy helped pretty much buy her fame, and she gets really angry when people say she cant sing.
- Cool Crown
- Facial Markings: She has one triangle underneath each eye.
- Hime Cut
- Multicolored Hair: Along with the blond and brunette long hair, she has multicolored bangs as well.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Spoiled Brat
- Star-Spangled Spandex: Her skirt, boots and tanktop has a galaxy-like motif.
Kamui GakupoHes extremely overprotective of Gumi, his orphaned cousin who he takes care of. Hes a helicopter guardian, and the only reason he lets her sing is because he can keep an eye on her, being from the same record label.
- Big Brother Instinct: He takes it to a detrimental extreme.
- My Sister is Off Limits: Even if they arent technically siblings, the idea still stands. He claims that Gumi is too young to be dating, despite her being well into her teens.
- Overprotective Dad: Or guardian, at least.
- Promotion to Parent: For Gumi, although shes his cousin instead of his sister.
LilyIs reckless and a thrill-seeker, with the usual- smokes, drinks, sleeps around, has tons of tattoos, wears very little, etc. Has a sort of live-in-the-moment attitude that often gets her in trouble and leads her to do things she regrets. Has very little self-restraint and willpower.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: How many of her misadventures occur.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Biker Babe: Rides a motorcycle.
- Forbidden Fruit: She often wants things purely because she cant have them, or wants to do things simply because she isnt supposed to.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: The outfit given to her by Internet Co.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sex Drugsand Rockand Roll: She seems to thrive on these three.
- Tattooed Crook
- Youth Is Wasted on the Dumb: As Mew oh-so-often tries explaining to her.
Megpoid GumiShe wants to break free of Gakupos helicoptering, but doesnt want to disappoint him. She is a closet otaku, and often escapes into fantasy. She writes fanfiction has many original (and canon) characters that she rps as (something Gakupo doesnt know about, as he would never approve of her talking to strangers online).
- Bare Your Midriff: Something that Gakupo does not approve of.
- Beneath the Mask: She puts forth a cheerful, bubbly and confident persona both online and as her role as a diva, when shes actually very meek.
- Closet Geek
- Fangirl: Of what is never stated.
- Meganekko: She hides this on stage by wearing contacts.
RyutoIs a bit obnoxious and craves peoples attention, since his own parents dont pay attention to him much. Acts out a lot and often follows people around, who get fed up with him quickly and then snap at him, giving him the attention he wants.
Aoki LapisShe was in an accident that eventually caused her amnesia. She was in a coma and now that shes awake she cant remember anything from the past few years of her life.
- Being Good Sucks: She was a genuinely kind person, and her sister's jealousy led to her accident.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Light to Merli's dark.
MerliShes jealous of all the attention her family gave Aoki, and gives her know that shes awake. She was more or less the cause of Aokis accident, and isnt really sure if she did what she did on purpose.
IAShes sorta the Luna Lovegood type. She has a very laid-back view of the world and has a lot of thoughts that seem weird to others. She really spacey, and believes in aliens and ghosts and stuff and people make fun of her for it. Also she really wants to make friends, but cant because people think shes so strange.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Shes constantly mocked and bullied by her peers.
- Daydream Believer
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her legwear.
- Friendless Background
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Mad Dreamer: She is usually interpreted as a more serene version of this trope, but it still fits.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: She wants to get along and be friends with everyone.
- Zettai Ryouiki: On her right leg only.
MayuHas an obsession with being remembered as an artist. Puts on an act and pretends to be a mentally unstable yandere for attention, in the hope that she wont be forgotten like so many other music stars when her talent has faded. Believes that a normal personality isnt enough, and has built up this whole new persona for herself.
- An Axe to Grind
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She has a stuffed rabbit that she carries with her.
- Multicolored Hair: Blond, with rainbow tint.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Yandere: The persona she's crafted for herself.
Utatane PikoHes just really technologically obsessed and anti-social. Hed much prefer sitting in his room and tinkering with stuff but he kind of got roped into this stupid singing thing by Sony, a company he admires.
- Hikikomori: In a sense.
- Idiot Hair / Ahoge
- Intelligence Equals Isolation
- Promoted Fanboy: Hes a big fan of Sony, which is the company that employs him as a singer.
Akikoloid-chanShe wants to be able to sing stuff other than commercial stuff for Lawson. Feels like a sell-out because she wants to be a respected musician instead, and is afraid that this will hinder her chances rather than help them.
The English VOCALOIDs
Had a big, close-knit family at home, who she misses greatly. Always wanted kids, but is infertile; this led her to start mothering everyone around her whether they like it or not. Is always looking after Big Al.
Big AlUnusually large and intimidating. Had a bad head injury that left stitches on his forehead and wound up damaging his brain, leaving him with the mind of a child.
- Childhood Brain Damage: Not during childhood, but fits this trope.
- Gentle Giant: Though hes been known to intimidate people just by speaking to them, he honestly never means harm.
OliverWas in an accident at sea that took his eye and gave him wounds on his arms and legs that need constant bandaging and care. The medical bills for him left his family very poor, barely getting enough food (part of the reason Oliver doesnt wear shoes: he cant afford them).
- Bandage Brat: He has bandages covering his feet and left eye.
- Cool Pet: James the bird. In tribute to Oliver's co-creators in the U.S., it's an American goldfinch.
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Cutie
- Does Not Like Shoes: Actually, he just can't afford them.
- Eyepatch of Power: He has a bandage over his left eye.
- Nice Hat
YOHIOloidHas a strong case of what he calls chronic apathy- he doesnt care about anything. Is always late for everything, no matter what. Caffeine addiction.
Technophobe who is very hard to work with. Is the type who thinks everyones hygiene routines should include a healthy layer of earth. A vegan and buys only organic products. Keeps way too many pets (including rather exotic/dangerous ones) and has a very messy house.
Copes with problems by pretending they dont exist, ignoring them even when directly confronted with them. In denial that theyve lost popularity, still under the delusion that theyre big idols, and acts a bit arrogant at times because of that, never failing to act shocked when someone says they dont know who he is.
- Breakthe Haughty: Given the authors track record, this is probably inevitable.
- Just Ignore It: His answer to most problems.
- One-Hit Wonder
- Small Name, Big Ego
Regrets giving up her modest but nice life to become a Vocaloid. Still in hiding from an abusive ex-boyfriend shes never told anyone about- dyed her hair, changed her name, completely altered her style and puts up a lot of a front personality-wise in order to hide her past.
Very quiet and shy, prefers to be alone if at all possible. A bit absent minded, sometimes forgetting to take care of herself. Can hole up in her house for weeks at a time without coming out. Spends most of her time thinking about her past.
Formal and snobby, extreme arrogance and narcissism. Refuses to do anything she considers below her and improper. Has a taste for things too fine for her to afford (not that it stops her shopaholic tendencies, leaving her in some pretty bad debt).
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Based upon her photo boxart.
- It's All About Me
- The Prima Donna: At least in the opera world
- Princess in Rags: Although she refuses to acknowledge it.
SonikaOften sensitive and self-doubting, especially with the comments on her sometimes-faulty voice. Finds herself wondering a lot if shes Vocaloid material and considering giving up her dream. Never shows this to anyone, though, pretending to be cheerful. Often very lonely since many Engloids have a partner and she has no one.
- Beneaththe Mask: She puts on a cheerful face, despite being very sensitive.
- Stepford Smiler: Her smile hides her insecurities and loneliness.
Kept on a pretty short leash by Prima, practically her servant. Used to be in a rather rich family until they lost everything suddenly: still has more elegant sensibilities, but unlike Prima, understands they cant afford it. Drinks a lot.
SeeUShe was very idealistic at the start, but she isnt very popular due to vocaloid being a mostly Japanese concept, and shes aligned with them while still being Korean. Its very stressful for her, and she really wishes people would just get over where shes from and focus on what she is and the music that she makes.
- Cat Girl: No tail in evidence, but her costume includes a pair of cat-ear-shaped speakers mounted on her head, and her standard facial expression is a Cat Smile.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki
Bruno and Clara
When they first became part of the vocaloids, fans hated how they looked, and they both completely made-themselves over, to the delight of the fans. This caused Bruno to become worried about the integrity of their music, and whether fans liked them for the right reason. Unlike Bruno, shes too thrilled by the newfound attention to worry too much about why the fans like them. Shes getting swept up by the fame and is convinced its going to last forever.
Defoko (Utatane Uta)Shes a bully, particularly to Momo, who she has a crush on. Does this because she cant come to grips with the fact that she likes girls, and is angry with Momo for making her like her.
Kasane TetoTeto ages strangely and looks 15 when shes really well into her 30s. Doesnt appreciate the childish comments she often gets.
- Berserk Button: People referring to her as childish or sexualizing her because she looks so young.
- Older Than They Look: And she hates it.
Momone MomoShe has a stuttering problem, which is particularly evident when shes nervous. Shes nervous a lot, particularly due to Defokos bullying.
- Apologises a Lot: Mostly because she's genuinely afraid of people being mad at her, due to the bullying she faces.
- Shrinking Violet
Namine RitsuHes a drag queen, although he doesnt consider himself transgender. Hes just a guy who likes to wear girl clothes. Has to deal with the discrimination from that.
- Drag Queen: While he dresses up regularly, he will often go all out in drag competitions, and frequently enters alongside Ruko.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Ruko.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: While he isnt exactly a nice guy and is in fact rather abrasive, its never had anything to do with his crossdressing.
Sukone TeiShes obsessed with Len, and believes that they are destined for each other. She often has violent fantasies but people laugh them off, assuming a girl would never do such a thing.
Yokune RukoZes intersex and identifies as bigendered, and has to deal with that. Doesnt like gender pronouns. Ze also has a gambling problem that often leaves zir in debt.
AkaitoKaitos older brother, who isnt as good of a singer. He still occasionally sings, and claims to be a singer, purely to get girls. Hes really sexist and rude to woman.
- Beauty Is Bad: Granted, not all of the men in this AU fall under this trope, but it certainly applies to Akaito.
- Manipulative Bastard: He lies to get what he wants — usually sex.
Akita NeruShe occasionally plays, and is over-confident despite not being famous. Sometimes plays covers of Vocaloid or Utau songs. Very abrasive and rude, as she was raised by her businessman father, and she believes that this rudeness is how to get ahead in life.
- Companion Cube: Her cell phone.
- Phoneaholic Teenager: When she isn't performing, she's almost always on her cell phone.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Skirt over Slacks: She wears shorts under her skirt.
- Those Two Guys: With Haku.
- Tsundere: Often can come across as this.
Calne CaShe was born with a severe birth defect that left her rather deformed. Shes a Miku fan and often dresses up like her in an attempt to feel pretty.
Honne DellHe used to help Haku (his cousin) sing when they were younger, but now that theyre grown up, hes a workaholic and a smoker.
- Determinator: He seems to never stop working.
Kagami KawaiineThe obnoxious fan to end all obnoxious fans. She cant sing at all, but has gained a bit of a fanbase based off of how bad she is (like how My Immortal has a fanbase, you know). In addition to uploading covers, she writes fanfics of herself interacting with the vocaloids, giving herself a backstory and relationships with various singers. Sometimes her covers correspond with this (ex: she'll write herself singing a song in the fanfic, and upload the cover the next day).
Megurine LukiLuka and Toetos elder brother, he was technically Toetos legal guardian until Luka turned 18. He didnt like having to be responsible for something that wasnt his fault, and was never really there (leaving young Luka to do most of the work). On Lukas 18th birthday, he left, and Luka took over guardian duties. He doesnt really make an appearance in the series, and Luka doesnt like to talk about him.
- The Ghost: Hes already out of the picture in the main timeline.
- Promotionto Parent: Although he never really did the job.
ToetoLukas little sister, occasionally sings. Shes very shy and often hides behind her hat.
- Fragile Flower
- Pint-Sized Kid: Shes specifically stated to look a lot younger than she actually is (mostly out of necessity: most artists draw her as looking about toddler-sized).
- Security Blanket: Her kitty hat.
- Shrinking Violet
Yowane HakuShe used to be with Crypton, but she never got much attention, and had generally negative feedback, so they dropped her after the success of Miku. Shes incredibly depressed and an alcoholic.
- Bare Your Midriff: In the outfit given to her when she worked at Crypton.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Because she was fired in favor of Miku.
- The Eeyore
- Rapunzel Hair
- Those Two Guys: With Neru.