The sixteen year old heroine of Prétear, After her mother's death and her father's remarriage, Himeno is thrust into a high-class society life where she has trouble adjusting. She meets Hayate and the Leafe Knights, who tell her that she's the Prétear who is needed to save the world.
- Action Girl: She's a real hot-blooded girl sometimes.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Himeno chooses cranky, abrasive Hayate over friendly, approachable Sasame. Arguably subverted once Sasame does his FaceHeel Turn in the anime.
- All-Loving Heroine: While hotheaded, Himeno is generally forgiving of others and likes mostly everyone. When Takako is taken by the tree in the final episode, Himeno attempts to save her rather than leave her to die, saying that the current issue is no ones fault and that everyone just wanted to be loved. Shes not even mad that moments ago, Takako just attempted to kill everyone.
- An Axe to Grind: The Fire Axe.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Hayate.
- Berserk Button: She is not fond of Hayate's nickname for her.
- Betty and Veronica: She plays two roles in two different triangles: the Archie to Hayate's Veronica and Sasame's Betty, and (at least initially) the Veronica to Sasame's Archie and Mawata's Betty.
- BFG: The Ice Arquebus.
- Big Eater: Hayate tries to test her endurance by placing her in front of a table full of sweets and seeing how long she can last without eating them. She scarfs down the entire spread before he can finish explaining the challenge.
- The Chosen One: She was chosen by fate to bear the mantle of Pretear and all the responsibilities that come with it.
- Dangerously Short Skirt
- Elemental Powers
- The Exile: Temporarily self-imposed.
- Fiery Redhead
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine.
- Genki Girl
- Green Thumb: She is shown to take remarkably good care of her beloved flowers.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation
- The Heroine: The main character and the titular Pretear.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: In the first episode, some girls falsely claim that her father is a Gold Digger who married Natsue for money. They also believe she is snobbish and state that she isnt good enough to be around her stepsisters.
- Hot-Blooded: Played with. She's fired up when her mind's set on something, but her own emotional and self-esteem issues prevent her from being all too eager to just jump in at any time, especially with regards to her job as the Pretear.
- Luminescent Blush: From time to time, especially whenever the boys are just too close for comfort with her.
- Magical Girl: Slightly different from the usual Magical Girl in that her powers change depending on whom she préts with.
- Naïve Newcomer: She has a lot of trouble adjusting to the expectations in her new life of wealth.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: A variation of this. She gets different powers when she prets with different Knights.
- Nice Girl: While she has her limits, she's overall pretty kind to people around her, even to her stepsister Mawata, who, before Character Development kicked in, was pretty cold and a bit of a Jerkass towards her.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Plucky Girl
- Refusal of the Call: She initially didn't want to take the Leafe Knights' offer of becoming the Pretear because she believed that they were just fooling her into "making her feel good about herself". Hayate's attitude towards her didn't exactly help their case. Thankfully, she relents just in time and accepts becoming the Pretear.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: In some fansubs, though it never really crosses Precision F-Strike territory.
- Stepford Smiler: She may appear cheerful and energetic on the outside, but it's made apparently clear that it's a coping mechanism she uses as a response to her family issues and her own emotional problems.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's very tomboyish compared to her stepsisters, especially Mayune, the girly girl.
- Transformation Sequence
- Whip It Good: The Water Flail.
Himeno's father and a former author of romance novels.
- Happily Married: To Natsue.
- Let's Get Dangerous!
- Not with Them for the Money: Kaoru genuinely loves his wife instead of her wealth.
- Parents as People: A kind-hearted man who does his best, but doesn't necessarily understand his girl even when he tries.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Natsue.
Natsue is a wealthy and powerful executive who, after her divorce is Happily Married to Kaoru Awayuki. In the anime, while strict with Himeno, she also greatly cares about her wellbeing.
- Happily Married: To Kaoru. It's almost sickly-sweet how much those two are in love.
- I Own This Town: In the anime, all businesses in town are affiliated to Natsue's business conglomerate. After marrying Kaoru, she renames the businesses and the town after him.
- Parents as People: Likewise. She does attempt to be kind to her stepdaughter in her own way, but she's quite disconnected from her and her own daughters.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: In the manga storyline, Natsue is the CEO of a cosmetics company but this fact is rarely stated and the only time she's ever seen doing something related to that is during a flashback from when she asked her butler to test one product. One of the other few times her job is mentioned has Himeno comment that "at least she's supposed to be".
- Spoiled Sweet
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kaoru.
- Wicked Stepmother: Moreso in the manga than the anime.
The eldest daughter of Natsue, she holds a pretentious attitude toward Himeno for coming from an impoverished family. Mayune often plays practical jokes to demean Himeno.
- More Beautiful Than A Goddess: So she tells us, and she just LOVES to rub it in.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She seems to be a bitch, but she's really not so bad. In fact, in the anime she actually tears up and screams in horror when it looks Himeno has died.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: They certainly don't want to be chased by Mayune.
- Rich Bitch
- Took a Level in Badass: In the finale, she's seen attempting to help Himeno to free Mawata alongside the parents, using her bare hands to try getting thorns and roots outta the way.
Intelligent and composed, Mawata is the seemingly perfect child of the family. However, her outwardly calm demeanor is used as a facade to hide her loneliness and mask her own sense of loss and heartbreak. She also has a crush on Sasame.
- Barrier Maiden and Dark Magical Girl: In the anime, after crossing the Despair Event Horizon and being seized by Takako immediately afterwards. Himeno and her family have to work hard to bring her back.
- Broken Bird
- Despair Event Horizon: She breaks when she sees her beloved Sasame kiss Takako. After rejecting her. In front of her family.
- Lonely Rich Kid: To some extent.
- Stepford Smiler: She's polite and a little cold, but still good-hearted. In reality, she has massive issues as she never recovered from her dad's death.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
Is the Awayuki family's chauffeur. He and Natsue used to go to school together, with Mr. Tanaka harboring a crush on Natsue while she pursued other interests. He once offered Natsue a ride, which lead to his employment as the Awayuki's chauffeur.
A maid at the Awayuki estate who is friendly with Himeno and regularly provides her with advice. She's actually Takako in disguise.
The Knight of Wind. Hayate is initially hostile towards Himeno, refusing to acknowledge her as the new Prétear. However, he soon becomes quite protective of her as well.
- The Ageless: Neither he nor any of the older knights seem to have aged since Takako was the Prétear, which was 16 years prior to Himeno.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Himeno.
- Blow You Away: Knight of the wind.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrifices himself protecting Himeno from Fenrir. He gets better thanks to Himeno's massive outpouring of leafe.
- Chick Magnet: Himeno is attracted to him. So was Takako and Mayune.
- Compassionate Critic: Hes harsh on Himeno because he has faith her in abilities as Prétear.
- Cool Sword: When préting with Himeno.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice King: He is cold and cruel to Himeno in the beginning but gradually warms up to her.
- Failure Knight: Takako's fate has left him determined to fight without a Prétear rather than put another girl through the same risk. It also makes him overprotective of Himeno, in spite of his harshness toward her.
- Meaningful Name: Hayate can mean fresh breeze. Hes the Knight of the Wind.
- Knight In Sour Armor
- Long Haired Prettyboy
- Manly Tears: In the final anime episode, when he finds that Himeno has died in due to giving up all her Leafe to satisfy the tree. She awakens when he kisses her.
- Mr. Fanservice: Good-looking, abrasive personality that hides a softer side, cool powers.
- My Greatest Failure: He blames himself for Takako's fall and her transformation into the Princess of Disaster, because he wasn't able to return her feelings but led her on rather than risk rejection interfering with her ability to fight as Prétear.
- Ineffectual Loner: Hayate attempts to do things on his own, even asserting in the beginning of the series that a Prétear wasnt needed. It never works out.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Hes harsh, rude, and abrasive. Deep down, he cares a lot for Himeno and the other Knights.
- Razor Wind
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Himenos Red.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Savvy Guy to Himenos Energetic Girl.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Sasames Sensitive Guy.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome and Tall, Dark, and Snarky
The Knight of Sound and has a job as a radio personality, addressing people's problems on the air. He is a good listener and offers himself as a sounding board to Himeno. In the manga, he remains a knight of leafe and appears to fall for Himeno. In the anime, he later becomes Fenrir's Knight of Darkness after confessing that he was in love with Takako 16 years ago, pitting him against the Leafe Knights and the Prétear. In the anime adaptation, his personality is changed to a quieter, more serious nature.
- Adaptational Dye Job: In the manga, he's blonde, but the anime gives him white hair and violet eyes.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: He makes the power of sound look AWESOME!
- FaceHeel Turn: He loves Takako/Fenrir so much, he'd leave the Leafe for her.
- Magic Music: Knight of Sound, it's kinda the same thing.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Hayate's Manly Man.
- Tender Tears
The Knight of Fire, he works as a waiter in his part time job.
The Knight of Light and works at an Internet company. Kei is the most practical and direct of the Knights, which sometimes leads to confrontation. He's also a narcissist.
- Combat Stilettos: His Knight outfit features some lovely high heels.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: In the anime. In the manga he has a lighter skin tone.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Not so much in the manga, but definitely in the anime.
- Shock and Awe: Being the Knight of light, he can fire bursts of light energy as his weapon.
- The Spock
The Knight of Ice and is the unstated leader of the younger members of the Leafe Knights. He, Hajime and Shin died while fighting the Princess of Disaster sixteen years ago and were reborn as children.
The Knight of Water and is the second youngest member of the Leafe Knights.
The youngest member of the Leafe Knights and the Knight of Plants. He can use his abilities to heal plants, and is very sensitive to anyone hurting them. In the manga, when he prete's with Himeno he dies as the Pretear must draw energy from the knight to fight, but is revived. In the anime, Shin is the only knight never shown preting with her.
Takako/Fenrir, the Princess of Disaster
Takako was the last Prétear before Himeno. She fell in love with Hayate but he was unable to reciprocate her feelings, causing the heartbroken girl to turn her powers towards evil. In the anime adaptation, Sasame confesses that he had loved her all along; she doesn't return his feelings but has him become her Knight of Darkness and orders him to kill Hayate. At the end of the series, Himeno's kindness and Sasame's death out of love for her enables her to regain her humanity and return to normal. She is last seen with the revived Sasame, finally free from her hatred. Fenrir's ultimate goal is to destroy the world by taking away the Leafe that preserves all life.
- Dark Magical Girl: The rare Big Bad example
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossing it due to her unrequited love for Hayate is what turned her from Prétear to Princess of Disaster.
- Falsely Reformed Villain: Poses as Mikage, a friendly maid at the Awayuki residence.
- Hero's Evil Predecessor: She is the previous Pretear, fallen to darkness, and it's suggested it may have also happened before and could happen to any Pretear.
- Love Makes You Evil —> Love Redeems: In the anime.
- Mind Rape: Attempts it in the anime, via distorting Himeno's dreams.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- Rapunzel Hair: As the Princess of Disaster.
- Villainous Breakdown: One of the most heartbreaking you'll ever see.
Yayoi is a classmate of Himeno's and her friend. In the manga, they have been friends since middle school; in the anime adaptation, however, it appears that they were not previously acquainted and become friends in high school after Yayoi ignores what other girls in their class say about Himeno. The anime adaptation also makes Yayoi a hopeless romantic who is a fan of Kaoru's novels and prone to dreaming up outlandish love scenarios.