- Big Guy, Little Guy: Popuko is short and Pipimi is tall.
- Blood Knight: They both love violence and destruction, though Pipimi tends to be somewhat more subtle about it than Popuko.
- Cat Smile: Their faces are always quite literally ":3".
- Enfant Terrible: They have no qualms about killing people who annoy them or for the sake of a reference.
- Fat and Skinny: Popuko is fat while Pipimi is thin.
- Perpetual Smiler: They always have Cat Smiles on their faces.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Popuko has a nasty Hair-Trigger Temper, while Pipimi leans closer to The Stoic. Best summarized here, where they notice someone staring at them:Pipimi: Whatchu looking at?
Popuko: EY! WANT ME TO FUCKING KILL YOU, MOTHER FUCKER?!
- Sailor Fuku: Popuko and Pipimi both wear one as their usual outfits, though they aren't often seen actually going to school.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: It's never outright stated whether or not Popuko and Pipimi are this, but they undeniably have a very close bond (to the point where Popuko outright tells Pipimi she's smitten with her, albeit as part of a gag), and at one point Pipimi tells Popuko she loves her. And taking into account Popuko owns pinup posters of sexy girls... Had everything gone King's way, their relationship would have resembled a Romantic Two-Girl Friendship instead, as we learn in "THE AGE OF POP TEAM EPIC".
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: They usually wear their Sailor Fuku, even in situations where they aren't at school (which is most of the time).
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Drink, smoke, curse like sailors, and occasionally commit varying degrees of brutal violence, they do all that while being 14.
- Vocal Dissonance: Each episode of the anime replays itself after the initial credits, each time with Popuko and Pipimi redubbed with male or female VAs, leading to episodes where the school girls with perpetual Cat Smiles have deep masculine voices. Popuko has had more male voices than Pipimi.
Voiced by: See below
- Author Avatar: Occasionally acts as a communicator to the reader.
- Ax-Crazy: Popuko is a volcano of rage and bloodlust just waiting to go off at the slightest provocation, and very much a danger to others around her.
- Berserk Button:
- "Subculture bitches".
- Never offer Popuko beef or chicken. You'd be lucky if Pipimi would be there to make her spare your life.
- Curtains Match the Window: Downplayed, as she has orange hair and yellow eyes. Played straight in the first set of the series' LINE stickers as she also has orange eyes.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wears her hair in short high pigtails.
- Hair Decorations: She has two yellow scrunchies that hold up her pigtails.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Her only real consistent personality trait is her tendency to get inordinately angry at relatively innocuous things. She's been thrown into a swearing, violent rage by such things as thunder, being asked her name, seeing a cuckoo clock, and being asked whether she wants beef or chicken for her meal.
- Hidden Depths: If you pay attention, you realize Popuko loves being a performer. She ran two different YouTube channels and tried to make her own music video in the manga alone, while she becomes an idol for the anime's third Pop Team Story.
- Horrifying the Horror: Her rage is so terrifying that she even scared off the Japanese urban legend Mary-san when she tried to come for her.
- Hot-Blooded: Can get very emotional even when she isn't outright pissed.
- The Napoleon: She's the shorter of the two main characters, and also the one who's quicker to anger.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: The list includes being asked "beef or chicken"◊, Northern European sundries shops◊note , cuckoo clocks...
- Series Mascot: More often than not, Popuko will be associated with the series as a whole.
- Weapon of Choice: Her nail bat (which appears for real in the OP!)
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Naturally has wide eyes, but when she gets angry (which happens very easily), her irises shrink to the size of periods.
Voiced by: See below
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Has black hair in the the series' Line stickers instead of the dark blue it is in the manga and anime.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite being the nicer of the two, Pipimi's still rather dangerous. While purchasing a car, she considered the various features' applications when it came to assassination and murder, and once she gave Popuko an advance payment, a list, a gun, and a stressed command of "Do it."
- Curtains Match the Window: Downplayed, since she has dark blue hair and light blue eyes.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Implied to be the reason why she tends to zone out and think of Hellshake Yano during conversations.
- Fangirl: Of Hellshake Yano, going by certain illustrations. He's the only offshoot character she brings up on a regular basis.
- Hair Color Dissonance: She has dark blue hair in the manga and anime, but the the series' Line stickers instead makes her hair black.
- Hair Decorations: She never takes off her huge red bow.
- Hime Cut: Downplayed. She has blunt bangs, armpit length sidelocks, and mid-back length hair, but while she's generally a lot calmer than Popuko, she can still be just as foul-mouthed and violent.
- Huge Schoolgirl: At least in comparison to Popuko, though most of her height seems to come from her neck.
- Not So Stoic: Occasionally acts stern and direct towards others.
- The Stoic: Is generally unaffected by anything that occurs to her.
- The Straight Man: Often plays this role to Popuko's antics.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has dark blue hair in covers of the manga and the anime. Averted in the the series' Line stickers, where her hair is black instead.
- Voiced by: Rie Hikisaka (Part A) / Katsuyuki Konishi (Part B)
Hellshake YanoA popular rocker Pipimi daydreamed about once.
- Adaptation Expansion: In his corresponding POP TEAM STORY, he gains an entire backstory; the reason he's even called "Hellshake" Yano and the circumstances launching him into the public eye have much more elaboration here.
- Bishie Sparkle: A lot of official images give him this.
- Epic Rocking: To stall until his band got to the concert hall, Yano shreds for a solo, captivating the audience even as his guitar strings break one by one.
- In-Series Nickname: Of course, nobody would expect to name their child "Hellshake". This nickname comes from his manager calling his solo one that "shakes the foundations of Hell itself".
Portrayed by: HimselfA time traveling male idol that comes to the aid of Popuko and Pipimi whenever something goes wrong.
- Chroma Key: He's green-screened so he stands out as a real human being among the animated (sometimes) Popuko and Pipimi.
Click here for TV Special broadcast details