A description of character-specific tropes found in Pokemon Shadowfall.
This page contains spoilers.
MichaelMain character of Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, he's been unceremoniously stripped of his Heroic Mime status and given access to a voicebox, as well as a metric ton of issues.
- Determinator: Implied by the fact that he single-handedly dismantled Cipher's second incarnation when he was barely twelve years old.
- Friendless Background: Implied.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: While Michael's achievements are impressive and he's sure of his battling skills, he has the approximate self-esteem of an earthworm.
- O.C. Stand-in: Michael doesn't have a personality in the games, being a Heroic Mime.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: If nothing else, he certainly seems to be suffering from PTSD and/or clinical depression.
- The Snark Knight: According to his internal narrator.
- Sarcasm Failure: When he meets Wes for the first time.
- You Killed My Father: The reason he went after Cipher in the first place, even if he was five years too late to catch the real murderers.
- Berserk Button: Anyone questioning her brother—more specifically, insulting him or implying that his decisions during the Cipher Incident weren't the right ones.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She is significantly more intelligent than she seems, though she hides it well under a facade of immaturity.
- Third-Person Person: Like in the game, she tends to refer to herself as Jovi. When she doesn't, there's a problem.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Anti-Hero: He's still not particularly heroic by series standards.
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Brother Mentor To Silver.
- Combat Pragmatist: As close as the series has, anyway. He's far more willing to duke it out with opposing trainers, as well, and has no qualms about attacking Cipher peons directly.
- Never Found the Body: To Cipher's ensuing dismay.
- Older and Wiser: Than Michael, and it helps that he's got about nine years on the kid.
- Psychic Powers: Thanks to spending so much time with Cyrus and Jericho.
- Aura Vision: Her signature ability.
- Berserk Button: Being woken up by anything. Like alarm clocks.
- The Chick: Out of the Snagger group, Rui generally likes to battle the least. But she has Duking's Plusle as a close companion and is Wes's Altaria's de facto master, so it's not as though she's helpless.
- Fiery Redhead
- Morality Chain: For Wes.
- Anger Born of Worry
- Ascended Extra: Remember that kid who got barely five seconds of screentime in the anime, and who appeared as a rival in the games? This is him, but slightly tweaked.
- Break the Haughty: Apparently by Lance and his Dragonite shortly before Wes met him.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: As it happens, he's perfectly aware that his father is Giovanni. He just didn't think the guy was still alive. And nobody else knew.
- Parental Abandonment: Giovanni abandoned him, and his mother is never so much as mentioned.
MoondanceMichael's starter Pokémon, originally a gift from his late father. Moondance is painfully aware of this and has long since vowed to look after her trainer as a result.
Cyrus and JerichoWes's pair of Eeveelutions and his signature duo, Cyrus and Jericho often comment on the events in the story and can be used as advance scouts if Wes needs information fast. Cyrus is the Espeon, while Jericho is the Umbreon.
- Bash Brothers
- Glass Cannon: Cyrus.
- Psychic Powers: Both of them.
- Sibling Team
- Stone Wall: Jericho.
- Those Two Guys
- Yin-Yang Bomb