The characters of Phi Brain: Puzzle of God.
open/close all folders
The Main Characters
Kaito Daimon (Einstein)
- Anime Hair
- Does Not Like Spam: Leeks and Nonoha's sweets.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Eyelid Pull Taunt: His signature pose is a Shout-Out to the tongue photo of his title's namesake.
- Glowing Red Eye Of Doom
- Happily Adopted: His parents were POG officers assigned to train him as a Phi Brain candidate, but they grew to genuinely love him as their own son.
- The Hero
- Heroic BSoD: Three times so far. Basically once per season.
- Heroic Resolve: So strong that he has rejected the Orpheus ring's power over him. Twice.
- Heroic Safe Mode: Everytime when the Orpheus Armband is activated.
- I Let You Win: Thanks to the vision he saw of the future he choose not to take the two beams and win against Gammon.
- Magnetic Hero
- My Greatest Failure: Nine years ago (as of Season 1-2), he and Rook were separated on the day they stayed out too late after he had been late for his appointment. He has been obsessed with keeping his word ever since.
- Parental Abandonment: His parents died when he was little and his guardian, Baron Kaido, sent him off to a boarding school in England.
- Post-Victory Collapse: Suffered from this at the beginning of season 1.
- Red Is Heroic
- Red Oni: To Rook's blue.
- Teen Genius
- Triangle Shades Do Nothing
- Unwitting Pawn: Towards Klondike's plan to create the 'Final Ring.'
Nonoha Itou (Nightingale)
- The Ace
- The Big Guy
- Cool Down Hug: Gives one to Kaito towards the end of season one.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Lethal Chef: In Kaito's opinion.
- Supreme Chef: To everyone else.
- Letting Her Hair Down: In the second season opening and in episode 24 at Freecell's request. Gammon lampshades in a TV special that she is finally going all out to be the heroine.
- Oblivious to Love: Inversion, she oblivious to her own love for Kaito.
- Photographic Memory
- Replacement Goldfish: Freecell seems keen on the idea of making Nonoha his mother.
- Team Mom/The Heart: Even though she stinks at solving puzzles, she's essential to the group because she helps keep the others at least somewhat grounded in reality, and brings Kaito back from his Heroic BSoD.
- Made quite literal when Freecell decides that she is going to be his new 'mother.'
- Tomboyish Pony Tail
- The Watson
Gammon Sakanoue (Galileo)
- Always Someone Better: Has inadequacy issues do to Kaito being the better puzzler.
- Later in Season 3, he's one of the potential Phi Brain candidates to be sacrificed to Orpheus.
- Big Brother Instinct
- FaceHeel Turn
- Doting Older Brother: In episode 11 of season 2, much to Miharu's dismay.
- Easily Forgiven: Was he ever. Downplayed, because sometimes his friends would remind him of his betrayal.
- Fiery Redhead
- Green-Eyed Monster: His jealously of Kaito's abilities is one of the reason for his FaceHeel Turn.
- Gray Eyes
- Hell-Bent for Leather
- Hypocrite: So he thinks that Kaito has to be dealt with because his armbad makes him disregard the lives of his friends and he constantly puts them in dangerous situations. What is his solution Join POG and try to kill Kaito with his puzzles, therefore putting his friends into even more dangerous situations.
- Then there's the fact that Kaito friends have gotten into dangerous situations of their own free will without telling Kaito including Gammon and Gammon only survived the exorcism labryinth puzzle in Venice thanks to the armband.
- The Lancer
- Large Ham: Makes you wonder if Jun Fukuyama didn't took the role because he wanted to yell a lot.
- Motive Decay: went from trying to protect his friends to making puzzles to kill people and wanting to take the God Scrolls.
- Never Found the Body: With Freecell towards the end of season 3.
- Only in It for the Money
- Pen Name: Is a puzzle writer under the Punny Name of Setsu Chidou (from chidousetsu "heliocentrism").
- Promotion to Parent: He has a younger sister, Miharu to take care of.
- Real Men Cook: Much to Kaito and Nonoha's shock.
- The Resenter: Over getting shown up by Kaito time and time again.
- The Rival Turned Evil: for half of season 1.
- The Starscream: After joining P.O.G. he tells Elena is is going to crush both Kaito and Rook
- Smug Snake: Ever since he became a Giver and before it as well. The first time as a Giver Kaito showed mercy on him while Gammon kept on trying to egg him on into beating him and proving he's right. The second time Kaito chose not to take the two beams and win thanks to the vision he saw though Gammon doesn't know this. The Puzzle involving vehicles and the Exorcism Labryinth puzzles he couldn't solve were solved thanks to the armband. Yet he still acts like he is better than Kaito and the armband in every way.
- Welcome Back, Traitor
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He joins POG to kill Kaito, because he believes he and his armband are dangerous for everybody else. But see Motive Decay above.
Cubic Galois (Edison)
- Bratty Half-Pint: During his first appearance, he quickly grows out of it.
- Friendless Background: His best friends were numbers before he interacted with Kaito.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Idiot Hair
- In-Series Nickname: Is called Q-chan by some of his friends, though especially Nonoha.
- Labcoat of Science and Medicine
- Out of Focus: In season 3. Cubic only gets one focus episode to himself and even then has to have Kaito come and help him solve that episode's puzzle. The only other episode he has is shared with Ana. He is even passed up as one of the Phi Brian's that Orpheus wants to possess.
- The Smart Guy
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Kaito, he even knew that Kaito's shampoo ran out.
Ana Gram (da Vinci)
- Catchphrase: "The way Ana sees it."
- The Chick
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Dark and Troubled Past: As a child he never smiled until his sister painted a picture of happiness
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- First-Name Basis: He rarely uses Japanese Honorifics, even to his senior or his older sister.
- Friend to All Living Things
- Gender-Blender Name: Only to further the confusion of Ana's gender.
- Hyper-Awareness: Possible downplayed version with Ana being quite perceptive towards the events around him, usually seeing things that his friends miss.
- Indy Ploy
- I See Dead People: Apparently.
- The Nicknamer: Even to his favorite painters.Ana: Hey, this is a Lolacchi! Michen-an! Ruben-pi!
- Out of Focus: In season 3, even worse than Cubic. Ana has no focus episodes to himself and the closest he gets is one shared with Cubic. He is also passed up for being one of the Phi Brains that Orpheus wants to possess.
- Perpetual Smiler
- Punny Name
- Stupid Sexy Flanders
- Third-Person Person
- Underestimating Badassery: Ana's abilities are frequently underestimated by friends and foes alike, and in the latter case his carefree antics tend to annoy his opponents so much that they don't see the finishing move coming until it's too late.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Despite the crossdressing and girlish looks, Ana identifies as a boy which he will immediately tell whoever is mistaking him for a girl. It leads to some very comical facial expressions, such as Maze and later Raetsel.
- Wholesome Crossdresser
Souji Jikukawa (Newton/Minotaur)
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Briefly thanks to the fake Orpheus armband.
- Club President: Of the Puzzle Club. He's also the...
- Student Council President: Though now retired.
- Curtains Match the Window
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: There's obviously something wrong when he drops his apple juice.
- Perpetual Smiler
- Put on a Bus: in the second half of season two.
- Refused by the Call
- Spotting the Thread: He drinks apple juice, not tomato juice.
- The Sixth Ranger
- Token Evil Teammate: Sort of since he is a member of POG, which are the bad guys in season 1. Jikukawa however does not act like it.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apple juice. To the point that him dropping it in pursuit of playing a game against Kaito represents his complete descent into Brain Washed And Crazy territory by the fake Orpheus armband.
Rook Banjou Crossfield
- Anime Hair
- Bash Brothers: With Freecell in season 3.
- Big Bad: Currently holds this role for the first season, as of episode 22.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Thanks to the Orpheus Armband. Twice now.
- Blue Oni: to Kaito's red.
- The Coats Are Off: He dramatically sheds his coat before the final battle.
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Evil Former Friend
- HeelFace Turn
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sacrifices his own life for Kaito's, or so it seems.
- Never Found the Body/Faking the Dead
- Peek-a-Bangs: Which hides his Glowing Red Eye Of Doom in the season 1.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Put on a Bus: At the end of season 1.
- The Bus Came Back: The second half of season 2 and is now part of the main cast in season 3.
- Reflectionless Useless Eyes: He frequently lacks highlights in his eyes. The Mood Whiplash comes after he and Kaito spend an episode hanging out together, when he thanks his friend for the day with the highlights fading as the sun sets, and challenges him to the final battle. Averted after his HeelFace Turn.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Obsessed with Kaito, to the point where some fans believed during the first season that the series would become boys' love.
- Sacrificial Lion: Serves this purpose towards the end of season 3.
- The Atoner: After being freed from the armband.
- Tyke Bomb
- Walking the Earth: At the end of the first season.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Under the influence of Orpheus' ring, anyway.
- Villainous Breakdown: He does not take the fact that Kaito's armband breaks well at all.
- Yandere: Almost on Yuno Gasai levels with whole sacrificing the world for his love if he has to.
- Big Damn Heroes: Rescues Elena from Herbert's trap.
- The Dragon
- HeelFace Turn
- The Stoic
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Undying Loyalty: To Rook.
Elena Himekawa (Antoinette)
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-Universe — she thinks that Gammon doesn't really care about Puzzle Of God and thinks of Kaito as his friend, just refuses to admit it.
- Dark Chick
- Meaningful Name: "Hime" means "princess".
- Out of Focus
- Straight Man: When compared to Kaito, Gammmon, Ana, and Cubic's insanity towards puzzles.
- Teen Idol
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese), H.K. Kahng (English)
- Broken Pedestal: Kaito learns that his perfect image of Jin isn't as good as it appears in season 3 concerning the one year where he disappeared. Though how broken is something the characters are trying to figure out. Amongst other things he created Fools Puzzles but also solved many of them so they wouldn't harm others, entered some form of contract with Enigma and Raetsel, and has said he hated puzzles.
- Averted. It turns out that Enigma twisted Jin's hatred on puzzles from his own after his childhood friend, who was Jin's rival, died due to a Fool's puzzle.
- Distressed Dude: The poor guy had been a captive to POG in Season 1 and later, in Season 3, where's he's kidnapped by Raetsel and possessed by Orpheus.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He has forgotten all of his past and only recalls certain tiny tidbits after regaining his self during Season 3. Before that he barely ate and spent most of his time just playing with puzzles puzzles.
- Later in episode 17 of season 3, it turns out that his memories weren't completely lost, only locked away by Orpheus, who possessed his body.
- Lennon Specs
- The Mentor: To Kaito and Rook. To Raetsel as well.
- These Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know: Concerning the God Scrolls.
- Walking the Earth: During the one year where all traces of his actions disappeared and what he was up to during that time.
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), Jay Hickman (English)
- Out of Focus: After season 1.
- Parental Substitute: After the deaths of Kaitou's parents, Baron became his legal guardian.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Despite being a POG officer, he strives to maintain the standards the POG was built on and not go along with the increasing ruthlessness of the organization.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The standard reaction he gets.
- After joining the Orpheus Order in the second season and being put in charge of the Quirky Miniboss Squad, nobody is happy to have him around.
- Evil Is Petty: Very petty.
- HeelFace Door-Slam: the end of episode 18 of season 2 looks that way
- He's shown being carried by Nonoha in the next episode.
- Sore Loser: Which leads to a...
- Unwinnable by Design: Loves this trope.
Voiced by: Chiwa Saito (Japanese), Allison Sumrall (English)
- The Atoner: In Season 3. He doesn't play puzzles anymore after the things that he had done back then. When he confronts Melancholy again, he wants to make up with her.
- Badass Longcoat
- Bash Brothers: With Rook in season 3.
- Big Bad: Of Season 2.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: His fake Orpheus Ring has been altering his memories for awhile. The only thing known for sure is that the promise between him and Kaito is real.
- Catchphrase: Let's Play Up! *Badass Finger Snap*
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: To Kaito.
- Laughing Mad
- Missing Mom
- Longing Look: Gives a brief one towards Nonoha in episode eight of the third season.
- Mommy Issues: Oh yes...
- Never Found the Body: With Gammon towards the end of season 3.
- Perpetual Smiler
- Ship Tease: With Nonoha.
- In season 3, Gammon, of all people, suggest that Freecell and Melancholy should date. But that confuses Freecell.
- Unwitting Pawn: To Klondike's plan to make the final ring. Freecell then makes up for it by curb stomping both Klondike and Melancholy with ease.
- White Hair, Black Heart
Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita (Japanese), Ty Mahany (English)
- Awesomeness by Analysis: His specialty is studying people, allowing him to anticipate their moves or deliver a devastating Hannibal Lecture.
- Break Them by Talking: Beats Kaito this way in the Rink Slider game.
- Childhood Friends: With Freecell.
- HeelFace Turn
- Redemption Equals Life
- Self-Serving Memory: Thanks to his ring.
- Sinister Shades
- Stalker Without a Crush: He suddenly starts telling what he knows about Kaito during the Rink Slider game, from what happened to Rook nine years ago to how Kaito was out of shampoo when he took a bath the night before. What's funny is that it is Cubic who confirms this.
- Villainous Friendship: Is in something of a Type III with Freecell. Pinochle is absolutely devoted to supporting Freecell, who doesn't fully return the friendship due to his obsession with Kaito.
- Arch-Enemy: Becomes this for Gammon when he threatens Miharu's safety and shrugs it off like it was nothing.
- Even Evil Has Standards: is absolutely livid at Pinochle's below the belt tactics when Kaito got the upper hand. When Pinochle's pronounced "dead", he doesn't take Herbert or Melancholy insulting him lightly.
- HeelFace Turn
- Put on a Bus: So far he and Mizerka hasn't made an appearance in season three.
- Redemption Equals Life
- Ship Tease: With Mizerka.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Berserk Button: Does not like free spirits like Ana. Especially, Ana in particular.
- Cool Big Sis: To Melancholy. In her mind
- Flower in Her Hair
- HeelFace Turn
- Irrational Hatred: Towards Ana, to the point where she wonders to herself why she loathes Ana so much. Some of it does seem to come from the fact that her friend Eve's dreams being crushed when she saw how much better her brother Ana was at drawing. The rest most likely comes from the armband influencing her.
- Put on a Bus: She and Doubt hasn't made an appearance in season three.
- Redemption Equals Life
- Serious Business
- Ship Tease: With Doubt.
- Zettai Ryouiki: In her school uniform.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Shown when she makes a smug face after Mizerka loses and says she'll be punished.
- Bounty Hunter: In the third season she briefly becomes a Master Brain.
- The Chosen One: Apparently the true owner of the real Orpheus Ring. Not that it goes anywhere.
- Corruption of a Minor: Lotte, anyone?
- Cute Is Evil
- Embarrassing Nickname: Dislikes Whist calling her Mela.
- Evil Is Petty: Her reason for hating Kaito is because he once called one of her puzzles ordinary. Possibly justified since the Orpheus Ring warps the wearer's sense of thinking. Subverted.
- HeelFace Return: She ended up going good after Season 2 and the puzzle she made as a Master Brain was actually harmless until Enigma reactivated the explosives.
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Nice Hat
- The Nicknamer: Enjoys calling Whist "Whi" and Herbert "Herb oji-sama".
- Ojou Ringlets
- Older Than They Look: Supplemental material states that she is 16 (two years older than Cubic).
- Parental Abadonment: Lost her parents when she was little.
- Stage Magician: Dresses like one.
- Stepford Smiler: As told by her butler.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior
- Unwitting Pawn: Played with. She knew she was being used as a pawn by Enigma, but she didn't expect him to actually use her as a sacrificial pawn.
- Villainous Breakdown: After staring at Freecell's black eye.
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese), Kyle Jones (English)
- Didn't See That Coming: He didn't foresee Freecell's armband becoming the real deal.
- Dissonant Serenity
- The Dragon: To Klondike. And then to Freecell.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Dislikes Melancholy calling him Whi and retaliates by calling her Mela.
- Perpetual Smiler: Is always seen smirking.
- Puzzle Referee: Serves this role instead of participating directly.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Some Translations spell his name as Hoist. It's actually Whist, since the Orpheus Order members are name after card games.
- The Starscream: To Klondike.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: How he views his actions as a member of the Orpheus Order. He joined as he believed the one chosen by the orpheus ring is destined to lead humanity, which would be either Kaito or Freecell after their final battle.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Freecell promptly kicks him out. So he wouldn't see Freecell vs Kaito Final Battle. Only for him to see their real final battle after Kaito beats Rook in Rook's Puzzle of God.
Ludwig Lebenhertz (a.k.a. Klondike)
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: He has never done a puzzle before, yet he gains the upper hand over Kaito in their puzzle battle.
- Bigger Bad: The leader of Orpheus Order, spending most of the season giving his orders through Whist. And then subverted as he is quite easily defeated by Freecell in episode 23.
- Confusion Fu: Kaito finds it difficult to go through Klondike's maze blind. Turns out that it is merely a forest of walls.
- Cutscene Boss
- Evil Is One Big, Happy Family: Melancholy, the only person he was nice to turns out to be his niece.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- The Ghost: Until episode 20 of the second season.
- Lennon Specs
- Manipulative Bastard
- Not So Omniscient After All
- Paper Tiger
Voiced by: Chie Nakamura (Japanese), Brittany Deans (English)
Voiced by: Minori Chihara (JP)
- Animal Motifs: Cats.
- Bounty Hunter: Since she's a Master Brain.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Goes with her Cat Motif.
- HeelFace Turn: Turns good for real in episode 22
- Ignored Epiphany: She was starting to doubt whether Jin really hated puzzles, but then goes back to her old ways after Enigma sent a Master Brain who tried to assassinate her and the others. Ana even mentions her scent is gone.
- Insane Troll Logic: Clearly it's Kaito's fault that Jin is being hurt by puzzles even though they are the ones sending the Master Brains to assassinate Kaito with the deadly puzzles that cause Jin pain!
- Not So Different: Ana notices she's more similar to Kaito than she appears by sniffing her.
- Significant Green Eyed Red Head: Being the main antagonist/rival of Kaito in season 3.
- Teacher/Student Romance: At least implied on her side when it comes to Jin. The jury's still out on what Jin feels.
- Unwitting Pawn: Raetsel doesn't have an idea what Enigma is up it. She only knows that Enigma wants to fulfill Jin's wish to eliminate all puzzles but she's being used by him several times for some underlying motive of his.
- Villainous Breakdown: When she learns that Jin doesn't need her, but instead Kaito, she breaks down. Raetsel then convinces Jin to come with her and makes both Enigma and Kaito chase after them.
Johan Sigmund Enigma / Real name: Zagadka
Voiced by: Joji Nakata
- Affably Evil
- Bigger Bad: He is the leader of Master Brain and manipulates Raetsel by lying to her about Jin's hatred of puzzles which is actually from his own.
- Demoted to Dragon: Though he later followed Orpheus in order to get Lovushka back.
- Consummate Liar: He's really good at this. To the point that he can convince Raetsel to return to his side and break out laughing over the fact that he said he revered Jin.
- The Dragon: For Orpheus.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: He simply disappears after being deluded by a Lovushka illusion. He then gets on a puzzle platform and vanishes.
- Freudian Excuse: His fiance, Lovushka, died while solving a Fool's puzzle in order to become a Phi Brain and restore her country's wealth which made him hate puzzles. But it turns out that he led her to her own death by not telling her about the country's rising economy and he blames the puzzles for it.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: While he says he's trying to fulfill the contract with Jin, he seems to be up to something else.
- Icy Blue Eyes
- The Lost Lenore: Lovushka, his childhood love.
- Manipulative Bastard: Enigma is very cunning and was not only able to convince Raetsel to continue her mission after sending a Master Brain to kill her and the others, but reset the disarmed puzzle that Melancholy made since he knew she was only faking being his ally and then put her into the puzzle.
- Our Presidents Are Different: He's President Corrupt though his actions are for personal means.
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Genki Girl
- The B Grade: Felt compelled to resign her VP position in disgrace over a spelling error.
- Friend Versus Lover: Pinochle More than Mind Controls her into turning against Jikukawa's close friend Kaito.
- Landslide Election: Her competition only received 8 votes combined
- Student Council President: Starts out as Vice-President to Jikukawa, but is elected President when he steps down.
Naoki Takeda & Yuichi Aizawa
Voiced by: Masashi Yabe (Naoki) and Daisuke Kishio (Yuichi) (Japanese), Clint Bickham (Naoki) and Kyle Jones (Yuichi) (English)
Voiced by: Kumiko Watanabe (Japanese), Nancy Novotny (English)
- Cool Big Sis: Cheered up Ana when they were little.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Ana's artistic talent.
- Messy Hair