The cast of Path of the King. Beware of spoilers.
Servant: Caster (Medea), Rider (Medusa)
A young man who dreams of being a Hero of Justice. Unlike the Shirou of the Visual Novel, this one actually had his Kiritsugu properly teach him how to use magecraft. This, as you might've guessed, threw the story Off the Rails.
- The Ace: Unlike his canon self, Kiritsugu here taught him enough that he was able to use his magecraft in a better fashion, his tutelage under Caster increases his knowledge further.
- Adaptational Badass: Starts out better trained and more aware of the true nature of the Grail.
- Born Lucky: Apparently, he's very good at pachinko.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: Gets training from Souichirou.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Obviously, but has a firmer grip as to the dangers it entails.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Though he does get into a relationship with Caster.
- Crippling Overspecialization: Lampshaded by Rin, due to his origin and element being the same.
- Curb-Stomp Cushion: On the receiving end from Ciel.
- Insistent Terminology: Lampshaded, Shirou tells Rin during his reveal as a Master in the Grail War that he is a spellcraft user, not a magus. Rin immediately acknowledges to herself the tiny nuances as to why that former term applies to him more than the latter.
- Instant Armour: His Twisted Embrace mystic code.
- Oblivious to Love: Shirou still suffers from rather low esteem thus making him somewhat oblivious to other women's attraction to him. Caster realizes this and pretty much stops being subtle about it.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: How he hides his Secret Identity, sorta. He's a model student rivalling the likes of Rin Tohsaka with very good grades, the highly skilled (former) captain/member of the Archery Club who has Improbable Aiming Skills and is known to have a well-trained body thanks to Taiga spreading pictures of his abs. However, every time a conflict happens while he's still Shirou, he always just takes the hit for another person, never fighting back. This is so that no one would connect the nice but pacifistic Shirou to the midnight vigilante Archer.
- Secret Identity: As the Archer.
- Sex God: Of the stamina variant, as sexy times with Medea tend to usually last from the evening all the way until the late morning of the next day. Medea chalks it up to "the vigour of youth".
- Unluckily Lucky: Shirou has a tendency to get into situations that while initially shitty have some major benefits in the long run. Getting involved with Guilford's plan to use Rin as breeding stock led to him acquiring Caster as a Servant who was able to refine his magecraft.
Medea of Colchis
Yes, that one. Her path diverged from canon when instead of meeting Souichirou, she instead crossed paths with Shirou. First when Shirou was trying to save Rin from Guilford and again when he found her in the rain without a master. Things get interesting from that point on.
- Adaptational Heroism: Since she becomes Shirou's servant, she has mellowed out greatly.
- Battle Couple: Becomes one with Shirou.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Downplayed, As mentioned in the main page, Medea is from Ancient Greece and as such has a whole different set of mores about relationships, especially about powerful and capable men, and as such has no problem sharing Shirou. Keyword: sharing. Any woman that wants Shirou has to understand that he's a package deal or there will be hell to pay.
- Cosmic Plaything: A trait that seems to be common among Greek Heroes, most predominantly in their backstory.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Even with the Holy Grail providing information about the era, some things just don't translate well.
- Hot Witch: Even Shirou notices.
- In the Hood: Though she doesn't do it as much here as in canon.
- Instant Runes: Her preferred way of casting magical beams.
- Lady of Black Magic: A lot of her magecraft and spellwork deal in curses or destructive forces.
- Squishy Wizard: Is noted to have a very low Endurance stat, as opposed to her Magic.
Servant: Saber (Artoria Pendragon)
The current head of the Tohsaka family. In this story, since Shirou already had Medea, Rin managed to the Saber she originally intended to get in Canon.
- The Ace: Is both a model student and an accomplished heir to a magus family.
- Badass in Distress: But luckily she broke herself out leading to Damsel out of Distress.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: What she would have ended up if Guilford had his way.
- Cuteness Proximity: Her reaction to Saber in a school outfit.
- Henshin Hero: Her Instant Armour made by Shirou. Much to her embarrassment. Includes Badass Biker, Sensual Spandex, and possibly Hellbent For Leather.
- Zettai Ryouiki: As is her canon outfit.
The King of Knights. Summoned as Rin's servant due to several factors, one of which includes Medea becoming Shirou's servant instead.
- Awful Truth: She doesn't take it well when told of the true nature of the Holy Grail War.
- Badass Adorable: It's Saber, what more is there to say?
- Closet Key: Rin finds her very attractive. This leads to I Didn't Mean to Turn You On moments.
- I Didn't Mean to Turn You On: Downplayed, as she has to realize Rin's attraction to her.
- New Transfer Student: How Rin decided to bring her to school without arousing suspicion under the name "Ginevra A. Dulac." She doesn't appreciate her alias though.
- Lightning Bruiser: As mentioned in Unlimited Blade Works, having a Master of Rin's ability nearly ensures A rank in nearly every stat, Endurance and Agility being the only exceptions and those are B-Rank.
- She Is the King: She was King Arthur of Camelot during her life.
- Sword Beam: Her sword, Excalibur is capable of unleashing its awesome power in this form.
Former assassin turned homeroom teacher. He has a smaller role in the story but still has a significant impact especially concerning Shirou.
- The Ace: Compared to his coworkers.
- Badass Normal: While he lacks any and all magical ability whatsoever and would easily be annihilated by anyone from the moonlit world, he's still brave enough to face down a magical Chinese assassin with duel wielded Uzis.
- The Commissioner Gordon: His eventual role.