Beware of spoilers. Only spoilers from the current season (7) are whited out.
A Hispanic inmate. Her defining physical trait is that she, in contrast to the majority of her cellmates, is strikingly beautiful by conventional standards. She is often seen with Flaca with whom she has a rivalry and close friendship; both of them are generally portrayed as giggly airheads.
- Bait-and-Switch Lesbians: Played with. In a moment of loneliness and desperation on Valentine's Day, Maritza and Flaca make out for a little bit. It might seem like something might develop, given the setting, but afterwards the two of them just stare at each other and start to laugh about it.
- Break the Cutie: She's forced at gunpoint to swallow a living baby mouse. Happens again in season 7 when she's picked up in an ICE raid and held with no access to any contact with the outside world.
- Con Artist: Revealed as the reason why she's in prison in her flashback episode. She would scam clueless men at her cocktail waitress job by breaking liquor bottles and having the men pay for them. She gets enlisted to do even bigger cons stealing expensive sports cars, but due to some hiccups on her first and only big con, Maritza presumably ended up getting arrested.
- Distracted by the Sexy: How she pulls her cons, along with getting men to take pity on her.
- The Ditz: While not a Brainless Beauty, both her and Flaca share an 'airhead pretty girl' mentality, which does not really fit prison atmosphere and occasionally annoy others in their group. That, and Maritza didn't know she was pregnant until the seventh month. (It should be noted that Maritz is all of 5'2" and slim) What, she is not a scientist.
- The Dog Bites Back: A minor, yet significant example. She's the first inmate we see Humphrey abuse on-screen, and she and Flaca talk about wanting to get back at him, even if they're unsure how to. But in the season 4 finale, she's the one who spots Humphrey reaching for a gun hidden in his shoe during the prison riot and promptly pushes him over—causing him to drop it and have it aimed at his head by Daya. She later gets to kick him a little after Daya shoots him.
- Fingore: In a downplayed version, when Gloria steps out of the kitchen for a visitation, Maritza cuts off the end of her pinky finger.
- Hidden Depths: Season 4 reveals that she is a pretty effective con artist who can make lies up on the fly and is pretty good at improvisation when the plan goes wrong. Not always, but she tries. It's also revealed in the Mother's Day episode that she has a child.
- Honey Trap: How she tricked men into giving her money in her backstory.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's easily◊ the sexiest character◊. Emphasized in her flashback episode, where she spends the whole time in tight dresses and high heels.
- Turned Up to Eleven in Season 5, when she and Flaca modify their uniforms into sexy schoolgirl outfits.
- Put on a Bus: She's deported to Colombia not only cause she's an illegal, but also for giving out a free number to a lawyer fighting against ICE.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Flaca. Their interactions fluctuate between Heterosexual Life-Partners to Les Yay, and they even go by "Flaritza".
- Smarter Than You Look: She can be easily dismissed as a flighty pretty girl, but in reality is not only quite clever underneath, but also consciously plays up the former aspect, making men underestimate her. To her misfortune, this trope is what gets her Humphrey's attention.
- Spicy Latina: Of all of the Hispanic characters, Maritza really plays this trope up the most.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Got pregnant and never realized for seven months. Given she's all of 5 feet 2 inches, Flaca finds this amazing.Flaca: How could you not know? You weigh like 90 pounds. You musta looked like a egg with four sticks in it.Maritza: I'm not a scientist, okay? Besides, I was smoking a lot of pot that summer.
- Those Two Guys: She is rarely seen without Flaca.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Between the character quote above and her part in providing "You Also Have a Pizza" its titular quote, Maritza seems to really, really like pizza.Maritza: I like pizza. Everyone likes pizza.
An older inmate, and former bank robber, suffering from cancer.
- Ascended Extra: In season 1, Rosa was sparingly seen and didn't have much character outside of being a cancer patient. In season 2, she gets her own flashback episode and story arc.
- Bald Woman: Due to her chemotherapy. An Imagine Spot shows she have had long, rich black hair back in the day.
- Bond One-Liner: After killing Vee.
- Turns out to also be a Pre-Mortem One-Liner, as the next episode reveals that she crashed into a quarry.
- Cartwright Curse: She's been widowed twice, and is terrified that it also applies to a teenage boy she bonds with during their chemo sessions. Thankfully, it doesn't.
- Deadpan Snarker: She has some very dry lines.
- Grumpy Old Lady: Considering she's dying of cancer in prison, it's little wonder she's never in a good mood.
- Healthcare Motivation: Her doctors recommend surgery, and the DoC won't pay for it. Being in jail, there's not a whole lot she can do about it.
- I Die Free: The DoC won't pay for the surgery that will save her life, and the doctor gives her three to six weeks to live. Thanks to Morello, she uses the van taking her to and from chemo to drive through the gate of the prison, run over Vee, and go out in the "blaze of glory" she always wanted.
- Ill Girl: Due to her cancer.
- I Was Quite a Looker: She never references this, but when we get into her flashback, we learn she was a fierce and good looking Spicy Latina in her youth.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Mows Vee down with a prison van.
- Kiss of Death: Believes she is cursed because the men in her life end up dying.
- Money Fetish: She "loves the smell of cash". In her bank-robbing days, she would sleep on some of the bundles, apparently. After the "last job" in the chemo session, she sniffs her $43 cut of the loot before bed.
- One Last Job: Played for laughs. She robs a purse with a kid that she befriends at the hospital, snagging $63 in her last robbery. All of this is planned and executed over a single chemo session.
- Outlaw Couple: Was this with three different men over the years.
- The Topic of Cancer: It's the most immediately noticeable thing about her.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: In "Comic Sans," she has this response when offered a cigarette.
A Hispanic inmate. The other inmates thought she was insane, as she appeared to have animated romantic conversations in Spanish with the Devil while inside a restroom stall. Piper later discovered that Blanca is actually of sound mind, and had actually been speaking to her boyfriend, "Diablo", with a cell phone that she had hidden behind a tile in the stall, while feigning madness so they would not expect anything.
- Accidental Misnaming: On the outside, she was a care worker for an extremely demanding elderly woman who called her "Bianca" because she read the "l" as an "i" and had become accustomed to it. To Blanca, however, it felt more like Malicious Misnaming.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: The reason she became so attracted to "El Diablo". She didn't even bat an eye when he flat-out told her upon their first meeting that he used to be a jewel thief, as she found her own life and job to be boring and regretted not doing more exciting things.
- Ascended Extra: In the first season, she basically only existed so that Piper could gain access to a cellphone and got Put on a Bus immediately after, but she returned as a minor recurring character in the second and third seasons and, in the fourth season, gets her own flashback scenes as well as her own story arc.
- Badass Bookworm: Spends Season 5 researching in Piscatella's office rather than joining in on the rioting, and comes up with crucial information.
- Big Ol' Unibrow: She sports one and has a slight mustache. She shows concern that it may be due to a hormone imbalance. Her flashbacks show that she did not have this body hair, so she might look the way she does now due to lack of access to beauty supplies.
- Defiant Stone Throw: Not exactly a stone throw, but Flores' stand against the guards gets the rest of the prisoners to form a peaceful protest against them.
- The Dog Bites Back: When her boss Millie fired her boyfriend Dario, aka Diablo, for being a "bad influence" on her, Blanca pays her back by having her boss watch her have sex in front of her while staring her in the eye.
- The Dragon: She becomes this to Maria in Season 4
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After spending the final season in an ICE camp at the mercy of asshole guards, horrendous living conditions and a Kangaroo Court overseeing it all, she's one of the few to make it out as a free woman and gets to reunite with her partner, who she has hands down the show's most wholesome romantic relationship with.
- Foil: She can be seen as the Latina counterpart of Crazy Eyes.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Out of all the Hispanic inmates she speaks Spanish the most.
- Hidden Depths: Daya is surprised to see her attending Poussey and Taystee's "memorial service" for the burned library books.Daya: I didn't know you were such a big reader.Flores (In Spanish): I like reading more than I like living my actual life.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Though she seems to be in not so good mental shape anyway.
- The Pig Pen: In season four, she realizes that the guards won't frisk her if she stinks, so not only does she stop showering, but also starts to deliberately make herself stink by lathering herself in whatever odorous food items she can find in the prison.
- Put on a Bus to Hell:
- Taken to Psych after her cellphone is handed in, but The Bus Came Back in the second season.
- Almost literally in Season 6 when she's sent to an ICE internment camp when she was led to believe she's being released.
- The Reveal: In the Season 6 finale we find out that Her participation in the riot is a deportable offense and got her green card revoked. And following her early release, she's headed to the newly rechristened Litchfield Internment Centre.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Blanca has an extremely disheveled appearance, but her flashback scenes show that she was actually a pretty attractive woman when she took care of herself. In season 5 she becomes the masterpiece of Flaritza's makeover spree.Red: Your eyebrows, they're plural!
- Smarter Than You Look: Flores comes off as erratic, but she's quite the schemer. In addition to her love of reading, her Season 1 ploy to frequently use her cellphone in the bathroom as well as her Season 5 claims of "knowledge is power" both proved to be successful.
- Token Minority: Of Red's group in Season 5.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: She is (or at least claims to be) a gang banger and serial killer, who is in prison after getting busted for WIC fraud.
- The Dragon: To Maria.
- Hidden Depths: Turns out that she's a Mom, and she chews Gloria out for acting like the other inmates don't have families that matter. It also sheds some light on her sympathy towards Maria in Season 4.
- Knight of Cerebus: She's introduced mocking Flaca for her fake tear drop tattoo, comparing it to her real ones, claiming she's murdered several people. She also asks who runs "the game" in Litchfield. It's the first sign that the new inmates are more intense and sets up some of the gang tension that season.
- Not So Different: From Brandy from the Neo-Nazi clique. The two bond over their interest in coffee, crime, and hatred of the guards.
- Those Two Guys: With Pidge in season 5.
- Undying Loyalty: To Maria. Ouija is ready to start a war with Piper after Maria gets added time, and supports all of Maria's leadership decisions.
- When She Smiles: In Season 5, when she's performing a comedy act for the inmates, she's practically unrecognizable.
Irene "Zirconia" Cabrera
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Luscheck.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Not a lot that comes out of her mouth makes sense.
- Embarrassing First Name: Clearly thinks "Irene" is one.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Decidedly unhappy about the apparent sexual tension between Luschek and Gloria.
- Hidden Depths: Seems to have a passion for feminism and grooming.
- The Lad-ette: Has the personality and sense of humor of a frat boy.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Named after her zirconia stud earrings.
- Weakness Turns Her On: Seems to be one reason why she finds Luscheck attractive.
Dominga "Daddy" Duarte
Barb's right hand woman. Formerly a pimp.
- Butch Lesbian: Not to the extent Boo is, but shes like that even in her flashback days.
- Closet Key: She becomes this to Daya. That being said, Daya indicates that she'd probably have gotten involved with another woman sooner or later seeing how she got a life sentence for killing Humphrey, and since Daddy was already making the moves on her, she was as good of a place as any to start.
- The Dragon: To Barb.
- Dragon Ascendant: Becomes this after Barb's death. And then promptly dies from an overdose, leaving Daya to move into the position.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: She's one of the inmates who dies from the spiked heroin in the Season 7 opener.
- Love Redeems: Her personality softens a little after she gets involved with Daya.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: No one calls her Dominga.
- The Starscream: Gives Barb bath salts and claims Carol spiked her supply, to distract from the blame for ruining the cheese factory supply line.