A list of characters in the Chinese Series Ode To Joy. Beware of spoilers for both seasons.
A 31 year old businesswoman who recently moved from the US to Shanghai in search of her brother.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Her mannerisms, upbringing, and Xiao Ming's condition suggest she has some form of autism.
- Big Sister Mentor/Cool Big Sis: To the other girls, but it's mostly Xiao Xiao that she mentors.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Hates Being Touched
- Parental Abandonment
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- The Spock
Fan Sheng Mei
A 30 year old HR executive who puts wealth at the top of her mind to support her family.
- Big Sister Mentor/Cool Big Sis: To Ying Ying and Guan Guan.
- Black Sheep: Of her family.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible to her brother's Foolish.
- Gold Digger: due to her [[Financial Abusefamily's demands.]]
- The Cynic
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: She takes this attitude to cope with her parents' want for money.
Qiu Ying Ying
A 23 year old worker from a small town. Her impulsive nature often gets her into trouble.
- Genki Girl
- Love Makes You Stupid: She doesn't notice how much of a jerk Manager Bai is until they break up.
- Naïve Everygirl
- The McCoy
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: At the beginning of the series.
Guan Ju Er
A 22 year old intern. She is dutiful, quiet, and hardworking but eventually questions herself over the course of the series.
- Hopeless Suitor: Has a crush on Dr. Zhao, who is already dating Xiao Xiao. She gets over it.
- Long-Distance Relationship: With Xie Tong at the end of Season 2.
- Plucky Office Girl
- Shrinking Violet
Qu Xiao Xiao
A 24 year old rich kid who aspires to take her father's company over.
Qi Dian/Wei Wei
An Di's online friend, revealed to be a self-made CEO and her love interest.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Bao Yi Fan's Veronica.
Wang Bai Chuan
Fan Sheng Mei's classmate, who has always carried a torch for her.
Zhao Qi Ping
A hardworking doctor who is flirty outside of work. Qu Xiao Xiao's love interest.
Bao Yi Fan
A earnest businessman.
An IT professional and Qiu Ying Ying's love interest.
- Second Love To Ying Ying.
A musician and Guan Ju Er's love interest.
The Fan Family
Fan Sheng Mei's family.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Constantly demand Fan Sheng Mei's money all the time and are unappreciative of her efforts.
- Financial Abuse: And how. They extort Fan Sheng Mei constantly using a variety of circumstances.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Fan Sheng Mei's brother is the Foolish, Fan Sheng Mei is the Responsible.
The Qu Family
Qu Xiao Xiao's family.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Qu Lian Jie is the Foolish to Qu Xiao Xiao's Responsible.
- Spoiled Brat: Qu Lian Jie.
The Guan Family
Guan Ju Er's family.
The Qiu Family
Qiu Ying Ying's family.
An Di's Family
An Di's biological family.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Xiao Ming.
- Child by Rape: Heavily implied to be the case for Xiao Ming, since his father was long gone when he was born.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: He puts his education above his wife's health after she goes crazy.
- It Runs in the Family: A hereditary mental disease from her mother's side.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Wei Wei brings Wei Guo Qiang to An Di, where it is revealed that Wei Guo Qiang is An Di's father.
- The Mentally Disturbed: An Di's mom.
Tan Zong Ming
An Di's boss and longtime confidant.
- Out of Focus: In Season 1, he disappears for a long time until WhamEpisodeEpisode 38.
- Platonic Life-Partners: With An Di until he develops feelings for her.
Xiao Xiao's friend.
Ying Ying's manager and ex-boyfriend.
- Asshole Victim: The victim of Sheng Mei trashing his apartment, although his actions towards Ying Ying make him somewhat deserving of it.
Guan Ju Er's senior.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Guan Guan.