The hero. A human-impersonating octopus that stumbles around on land and has a hard time accomplishing most human tasks. Somehow, he hasn't been caught yet. He's married to a human woman, Scarlet, and has two kids, Tommy and Stacy. Is being stalked by a psycho sushi chef named Fujimoto.
- All-Loving Hero: Loves his wife, his kids, and humanity in general. This extends to completely forgiving Fujimoto at the end of Dadliest Catch. This is after the chef nearly kills Octodad's whole family. Fujimoto seems visibly touched by this.
- Badass Mustache: Not a real one, but two short tentacles makes it looks like he has one.
- Bumbling Dad: What would you expect from a human-masquerading octopus who can demolish the entire kitchen while trying to make breakfast?
- Cardboard Pal: In the first game, Octodad has to collect items to make a fake version of himself to buy time so he can make an anniversary gift for Scarlet. When he finally builds it, Fujimoto thinks it's really him and attacks it.
- Cthulhumanoid: He's not Cthulhu, but he is an octopus in a human shape wearing a suit, so it counts.
- Funny Octopus: An octopus in a suit that stumbles around completing human tasks. Hilarity Ensues.
- Fun with Subtitles: Octodad burbles everything he says. Unlike the other NPCs, you can't understand octopus blubs. Subtitles translate this to things like *a pleasantly surprised burble* and even *a blub of getting his Game Face on* Though occasionally they don't do this, and the subtitles just say blubs like "Blub blub blow".
- Good Parents: Octodad is still a good parent to his kids despite, you know, being an octopus. He makes sure to get Stacy her favorite doll before she goes to sleep and escorts her through a dark aquarium exhibit that scares her.
- He also decided to go through Tommy's "gauntlet of awesome challenges" to win back his fancy suit, even though he could've just grounded Tommy and taken the suit by force.
- Happily Married: With Scarlet.
- Heroes Want Redheads: He fell in love with the redheaded Scarlet.
- Hugh Mann: Octodad's disguise, which fools everyone (except Fujimoto, the marine biologists, and Stacy), including his own wife for ten years? Standing on four tentacles like feet, using another two for arms and two to look like a mustache, and wearing a suit. One look at him tells you he's not human, yet everyone else never notices (unless you act too much like an octopus).
- Interspecies Romance: He is an octopus who fell in love and married a human woman.
- Must Have Caffeine: In the sequel, after waking up, he cannot stand upright and has to drag his limp "upper body" around. The only solution is to drink coffee.
- Mundane Made Awesome: His entire schtick is that everyday activities are a feat & a half when done with someone who's boneless. In fact, his Cutscene Power to the Max moments, where he's able to write in his diary, use a remote, & slow dance as easily as any person, are Awesome Moments from the player's point of view.
- No Name Given: He's never given a real name, and everyone else refers to him with different terms (Scarlet calls him "honey", the kids call him "dad", Fujimoto calls him "OCTOPUS" and anyone else just calls him "sir"). When he gives his name to the waiter at the restaurant in "Dad Romance" the waiter just hears "blurberulb".
- Paper-Thin Disguise: His disguise is basically his suit, but almost none of the characters ever notice that he's an octopus.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Octodad is deathly afraid of banana peels. To his credit, they can be a slipping hazard in the games.
- An even bigger fear is aquariums. Not because humans keep fishes in them, but because the marine biologists working there are much better at seeing through his disguise than most people.
Octodad's wife. She works as a reporter and has been married to Octodad for ten years, yet somehow she's never noticed who her husband really is.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes.Scarlet: I bet you're going to say, "Well, Scarlet, I work for the government and fight aquatic terrorists from Neptune, and this grocery store was full of 'em." Is that it?
- Happily Married: With Octodad.
- Intrepid Reporter: She's a reporter for a magazine/tabloid called The Inquisitor, though her job isn't mentioned until Dadliest Catch. She's so devoted to her job that she'll sneak onto ships if she needs to, and goes to the aquarium to write an article despite Octodad hating aquariums.
- Meaningful Name: Scarlet is a shade of red, and she has red hair.
Scarlet's and Octodad's son. He idolizes the character Sports Johnson.
- Character Development: Gets some, believe it or not, in Dadliest Catch during his time in the World of Kelp exhibit. Initially, he wants to get out of the exhibit as fast as possible, thinking it'll be boring. But as he goes through the area, he starts to learn things and begin to think that science wasn't as lame as he thought it was.Tommy: Do you think there's a Science Johnson?
- Lampshade Hanging: When he finds out that his dad's an octopus, he asks how him and Stacy could possibly have been born.
- Also, during the credits, when the game's title (Octodad) comes up, he says, "Really? That's his name?"
- Vocal Dissonance: In the first Octodad game, he doesn't sound like a kid at all. Good thing he's got a new voice actor for the second game.
Scarlet and Octodad's daughter. Pretty much a stereotypical girl, and also a prominent Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Implied; when Tommy suggests that hamburgers might be made from ponies, she screams.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She can be pretty crazy at times.Stacy: (off-handedly) Soon I'll be a hundred feet tall!
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She needs her stuffed animals (especially her stuffed octopus) to fall asleep at night.
- Large Ham: Sometimes, especially in the "Medical Mess" short, due to being one of the narrators.Stacy: And in his chest they find... A BROKEN HEART!!
- Only Sane Man: As a direct contrast to her Cloud Cuckoo Lander personality, she sometimes plays straight man to the rest of the family. For example, when Scarlet suggests that they need cereal in an excuse to go to the grocery store, Stacy starts to point out that they already have cereal, only to get interrupted by Tommy ("We need so much cereal!"). She's also the only one in the family to know Octodad's secret.
- Secret Secret-Keeper: Stacy becomes one unintentionally; it turns out that she always knew that Octodad wasn't human, but she never said anything because she thought it was common knowledge.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Stacy looks a lot like Scarlet, just shorter and with dark hair.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her hair looks to be a dark shade of blue.
A psychotic sushi chef who's convinced that Octodad is an evil fish spy, and is hellbent on killing him.
- Big Bad: For both games.
- Caps Lock: Almost always speaks in all caps, according to the subtitles. He stops talking like this at the end of Dadliest Catch when Octodad forgives him.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Partly due to his Cloud Cuckoo Lander tendencies, he thinks that fish are evil (during the war he hallucinated the men that he killed had fish inside) and that Octodad is secretly a spy for them.
- Easily Forgiven: At the end of Dadliest Catch Octodad has a chance to "take care" of Fujimoto, and pats him while blubbing that he loves and respects humanity, and forgives him. Right after Fujimoto nearly kills Octodad's family.
- Evil Chef: He's a sushi chef, and he's obsessed with killing the Octodad—this leads him to endangering other people in his quest to kill him, too.
- HeelFace Turn: Has one at the end of Dadliest Catch when he realizes that Octodad is forgiving him for his actions. He's very touched, and promises to never bother Octodad and his family again.
- Large Ham: You can tell he's really playing up his role.Fujimoto: I will turn you into moderately priced sushi rolls!
- Laughing at Your Own Jokes: "What's wrong, octopus? Stuck in a JAM? HOHOHO! Jam..."
- Only Sane Man: As much as an Ax-Crazy kook as he is, he's the only character without a Weirdness Censor, and, thus, until the end of the second game, the only one who knows the title character is an octopus.
- Serious Business: Cooking, to him. In the Dadliest Catch short "Dad Romance", he doesn't look up from his work because the cake he's making has 37 steps and requires complete focus. "One mistake and—BAM! Poisoned!"
- Stalker Without a Crush: Stalks Octodad everywhere he goes. The chef is introduced, in fact, in this fashion, slowly rising in front of the window of Octodad's house.
- Weirdness Censor: Averted, he's the only one who doesn't have one.
- You No Take Candle: Talks like this occasionally, especially when he's trying to convince Octodad's family that the latter is an octopus.Fujimoto: YOU SEE? HE IS OCTOPUS! I NOT CRAZY!