Lee (Lee Mack)
- Class Clown
- Consummate Liar
- Deadpan Snarker
- Guys Are Slobs
- Like Father, Like Son: Lee and his dad are very similar in how they act, as much as Lee would like to think otherwise.
- Loser Protagonist
- Manly Man and Sensitive Guy: Lee and Tim respectively. This is just relative, though, as despite being quite slobbish, Lee is quite the wuss himself, but pretty much everyone can be manly next to Tim.
- Men Are Uncultured
- Oop North: Often Lampshades this In-Universe, contrasting his working class northern roots to Tim and Lucy's upper-middleclass upbringing.
- Pungeon Master
- Sad Clown: Lee is accused of being one of these by other characters, which has lead to him being cajoled into seeing a therapist.
- The Scrounger
- The Slacker
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Some of the time.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Lee and Tim. In the later seasons, he's also this with Toby.
Tim (Tim Vine)
- Camp Straight
- Manly Man and Sensitive Guy: Lee and Tim respectively.
- MayDecember Romance: A Running Gag throughout series 1 is that his relationship with Kate ended after he cheated on her with a much younger woman, with Lee and Kate exaggerating the age gap.
- Put on a Bus: Because Tim Vine wanted to leave the show after series 5, the character was written out in series 6, where it was mentioned he was on a work placement in Germany.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Lee and Tim.
Lucy (Sally Bretton)
- Daddy's Girl
- Deadpan Snarker
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: For Kate.
- Tsundere: A type A example to Lee. Most of the time, she acts like she can't stand the guy.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension / Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Lee.
- Will They or Won't They?: Her and Lee go through this for six whole series. Series 7 concludes with them finally choosing the former option.
Daisy (Katy Wix)
Barbara (Miranda Hart)
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Disappeared without explanation in series 4.
- The Klutz
- Shipper on Deck: For Lee/Lucy.
- Walking Disaster Area
- You Look Familiar: Miranda Hart had previously appeared as an acupunturist in the first series.